Trevorz

Im new, need tips!

So I just got the game... and I've read there quite alot of things to watch out for. Was wondering if anyone could give me some heads up tips before I enter game.

Well, keep an eye out for zombies, as they want to eat your brains. Also, trust no one.

I figured the trust no one.... but then again i dont want to run solo the whole time either...

There are a few decent guides stickied in this forum. Some videos and such, it's a good starting point.

Quick tip: Grab some gear, then bail from the coast. Stay cautious forever. ;)

Um..

-if you alerted undead and you're in town, either 1. find the nearest enterable building and get into it, undead becomes uncoordinated and slow down to a shamble indoors, it will give you time to pick off targets one by one without being immediately overwhelmed, or 2. run run run outside of town and kite them, i.e. face them and jog backwards while unloading on them.

-ALWAYS log off with food and water/soda with you, because when you log back on, chances are high you will be starving/thirsty.

-stay in the trees, not on the road, you can always use the road to travel, but stay off of it, just follow parallel to it.

-don't use the lee enfield unless you feel like dying.

-the winchester is the best basic gun you could find, has abundant ammo and uses 2 types.

-if you're ever low on blood, and you don't have a companion with you, then you need to hunt sheep/cow/boar/chicken/rabbit then gut and clean the carcass, extract the meat, and cook it, it will give you 800 blood per piece of meat.

-if your aim is shaking when you ADS, then you either need pain killers to stop it or you have parkinsons and you need to consult with your doctor.

Low on blood? Is this something you learn from playing Arma? I've never played it. Or do you learn everything you need from the actual mod

The blood aspect is central to the Day-Z mod, or at least the way it works. Blood in Day-Z is pretty much your life, you start off with 12000, if you get hit by undead or if someone is shooting at you, there is a chance you will start to bleed, so always watch your blood levels. You can bandage to stop the bleeding, always bandage once you're safe, and do so before doing anything, because you trying to eat to regain blood while you're bleeding won't do much. Once you drop below a certain level, I think it is around 3000, you will start to randomly pass out due to having so little blood, so you will need to eat or get a blood transfusion from someone else with a blood-bag (found at hospitals).

Just be mindful of what you're doing and what you're not doing.

You're creeping into a small village to check out a house that may have some delicious beans? You're prone or crouch walking? You checked out the village thoroughly beforehand and know exactly where you want to go? Great!

At the same time you're not constantly scanning the area for threats? You don't have a contingency plan if you get attacked? You're not able to hear nearby noises because you have music playing? Not Great.

Stealth > All

Don't shoot Runny Babbits while they are in long grass.

I never found the one I shot.

All these tin cans, soda cans and empty bottles you find and you think they're useless? Think again!

When you hear an infected in a building you want to check out, throw one on a hard surface (roads work wonder) and the noise will attract it, leaving you free to check the building, without firing a single shot.

Bottles make the most noise I believe, at least client side.

If you're in a city and you see dead zeds or even dead players around, be careful, maybe leave the town and camp on a hill observing it until you're sure there's no one else there (this only works for small villages obviously, as there's always people in the bigger cities.). The killer might still be around.

Also, if you see a dead player with equip in the middle of a road or plain, be careful too, it might be trap.

-Pay attention to the Ear and Eye icon on the right side of you UI.

-Walking tall, sprinting or walking on loud surfaces, makes it easier for zombies to detect you.

-Always move crouched, walk crouched if you are near zombies.

-If you alarm zombies, you either have to run or fight.

-If you run or fight, you might attrach other zombies.

-Decide how you want to deal with strangers you meet. Avoid them, shoot them, take cover and challenge them.

-Mistrust other players and avoid them, unless you want to team up with someone.

-If you team up with someone, you have to take a leap of faith.

-You have to attempt to determine who's legit and who's deceiving based on their movement/chat(almost impossible) :)

-If a companion is in anyway mocking you or weirding you out, find an oppotunity to shake him off.

-Keep your inventory balanced, not too much ammo, but enough to clear a building or two.

-Learn to navigate with/without map and compas, google the big dipper star constalation to find the northstar(north) at night.

-Learn to read the map, when you find one.

-Big cities and airfields has lots of loot, this draws in playerkillers and conflict.