Sign in to follow this  
i_push_buttons

Are there any noob friendly servers?

I just bought the standalone since a couple of friends bought it as well... I am trying to play, but I am just continually getting killed by other players when I have absolutely nothing...

In my one hour of playing so far, I have been killed FIVE times without ever having even made it past the few buildings near where I start most of the time...

1) Some guy ran up and cut me and then harvested blood from me, shooting me dead just after.

2) Literally within seconds of spawning I was gunned down.

3) Next a group of four players chased me down and shot me.

4) Next a guy chased me down and beat me to death with a baseball bat.

5) Finally, after figuring out which towns we were in and sprinting down the coast at each other for A HALF HOUR, just after meeting up with my friend, we were gunned down by a group of other people.

ALL of these deaths have occurred while I have had NO ITEMS and thus no reason to be killed.

I can't even learn how to do anything or go anywhere since I continually just get killed.

So I ask, are there any newb friendly servers out there for people who don't have a clue or have items?

• Like 3

Stay off the main roads. Don't trust anyone. Coast is bandit country. The cannibals rule those roads.

Edited by King of kong
  • Like 3

Well Im not sure if any friendly servers are up yet. However if ya feel like playing and surviving go look up "How To survive DayZ" in google. You will get many results and good ones at that.

• Like 1

Join team speak with some friendly survivors. Your dead out on your own and bandits have taken over Standalone. Want to team up with me shoot me a pm. Thanks,

NE0 , playing on UK/ EU servers

(UN friendly survivors)

All servers are connected to the main hive, so having 'noob friendly' servers would throw things out of wack, unfortunately.

Trust no one and avoid other players. Good luck!

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 2

It's not that hard. Like said above avoid the coast when you first spanw just sprint forward. Loot a few buildings, the loot at coastal buildings ins't that good but it's still something.

I'm not sure how helpful, 'Avoid' people is when bandits jump you as you spawn.  But the people above are correct in saying just avoid people for now.  It's kind of sad how bandits get their kicks, instead of trying to go after people who might be able to kill them they are content with attacking the new guys trying to learn the game.  It only shows how much a coward they are, but their isn't much we can do.

Run in tree lines, stay out of the open find a bush near somewhere you want to loot, and take 5 minutes and scope the area.  Look for zombies chasing people, and look for people.

The coast is where you start, while it seems like a terrible place, to be honest your best bet is to run in full tilt turbo, find some a few drinks and food items and get out and head deeper into the mainland.  While you run a large risk of being killed, at least you were killed with nothing.  And can try again after respawn.

I would recommend NOT returning to the coast once you have found some stuff to survive.  Even the people with nothing will try to kill you.  The reason bandits sit on the coast is not just because it's easy kills, it's because if they die, they can just re-loot the coast and resume killing.  Most bandits lives are short lived that hunt on the coast because that's where everyone goes to fight.  The dangerous bandits are farther in, they are looking to stalk you and loot you because you probably have stuff you brought from the coast.

Overall, my best advice is, loot the coast fast, and get out.  Then you might have a chance to survive for a while, or a really long time.  It all depends and we all die at some point.  

Another veteran junkie piece of advice, don't get attached to your loot.  The more you die and the better you get at learning to loot fast and get out, the more likely you are to survive longer.  It's a rough start, but eventually you'll get it.  If you die, don't be scared, just run around like a mad man and find what you need, then play it safe and venture into the mainland.  Otherwise you'll waste alot of time being careful when you have nothing to lose, and get killed and lose interest.  The best time to play crazy is when you have nothing to lose.

There is no such thing as a noob friendly server, because a noob is what you start out as, a veteran is what you turn into. So in a sense there can be no noob servers, because shortly after the server starts up, they become vets. The only way to get past being a noob is to learn from your mistakes and adapt to survive. This is a survival game, after all.

Get familiar with the buildings and surrounding first and loot spawns.

Avoid easy acces buildings near roads.

Try finding a map and then location of the cities or check dayzdb.com

Use the city signs to figure out where you are.

Dont trust people, as soon as you have something they want you will die.

And what people already said dying is part of the game, get used to it.

The more you die the more you know what not to do or what to avoid next spawn.

DAYZ Standalone.

I only got the game a little while ago and so far everything these guys have said has been helpful, I have died around 4 or 5 times now (I wasn't counting so unsure) and that was in the first 3 hours of playing and they were all by Zombies cause I didn't know what I was doing or how to avoid them or was pretty much unarmed.

My advice for Bambi's as I am one myself is to start on a server with at least 0 to 2 players on it, cause with so few or no players the % of actually meeting a player is very low to nothing giving the size of the map and you can get to grips with the controls. Within all that time the most amount of players that joined the server I was on was around 6 or 7 people and it gave me plenty of time to loot houses and learn the ropes. I did meet one player when I was at the North west Military Airfield,

(I somehow just stumbled across the place while I was aimlessly searching around for a map and water) witch I have heard from YouTube videos and Various Forum posts that it is a dangerous place for apocalypse survivors, as it is where most the good stuff spawns and where most bandits like to camp and snipe the unfortunate people that go looking for decant loot.

(However I am playing the Standalone so the danger level might not be so high. As there is no vehicles currently in the standalone.)

I was lucky cause only 2 mins before my meeting with said player I found an assault rifle, I called out. "Are you friendly?"

over my mic but got no answer, as I type this am now thinking it was a silly thing to do for a lone wolf player like myself cause I don't think the guy saw me and even now that I was armed, had no real experience at shooting or any time trying out the shooting mechanics. The other silly thing I did was to call out to the player, as I said I don't think he saw me and I could have just kept quite and he would not have been any the wiser to my location. The guy looked to be unarmed from the distance I was crouching at.(Close enough to see he had a blue backpack, but not close enough to see if he had a melee weapon or pistol.) So decided to move from cover to cover and make my way from what could have been bad situation. I had no problems ducking into a nearby forest that was close by to me and was pretty sure I wasn't followed, so decided to keep on moving and find another place to loot.

(But keeping myself at the ready and constantly checking the skyline for signs of being followed.)

This worked out great and I found myself a Blood type test kit in a nearby house. "YAY!" (I am O+ By the way) and so decided to log off and check the blood type compatible list. Then I saw that if I ever need blood I can only get blood from other O types.

(This concludes my first fear experience in DAYZ Standalone and wow did it get me heart pumping.)

So Servers with no players would be your best bet if you are a new survivor to the game and just want to learn first without jumping strait into the deep end. Hope this was helpful for someone and informative of what kind of situations you might come to expect. Maybe I will post another response about meeting players with guns...

If I survive that long!

Avoid coastal towns, avoid people, trust no-one, find beans, settle down in the north.

I dont understand. Are you unable to connect to one of the 0/40 servers until you can learn the basic functioning of the game? I can not comprehend how you took all the time to post this, and it never occurred to you to join a lower population server. Now if your thinking about saying something about other players, know this: 80% of armed players, or people in a group of 2 or more will kill you, only to kill you. Stay off the coast, if you have interaction keep your guard up, control the situation.

If you still think its 'unfair' or bad, this is probably not the game for you.

you need to just look for a NO KOS server or friendly server... There are tons of them but just as an FYI dont trust it completely, i have been killed in friendly servers so dont let your guard down EVER in dayz.  I would take the 2nd responses's advice.... Just avoid, watch, stalk, learn, and act accordingly. 

The most newb friendly server is a low pop server.  They're perfect if you're wanting to learn the game mechanics, explore the coast line a bit to make newspawning less stressful and get a chance to try out some of the goodies.  Then armed with a basic understanding of the game mechanics, you can then join up in the higher pop servers and have roughly similar experiences to your original ones. 

If you're looking for total immersion of course, you can follow all of the above good advice.

I agree with wierdbeard.  I just started out also and I've been sticking servers that have 5 or less people to try and get a feel for the game and learn the map.

Except last night when I got shot at the first experiences I've had with people have been good. I met a guy in some random town that waved and we both ran off on our own way, and the second time I came across 2 people teaming up together.  They asked if i had looted the current town we were standing in and then pointed me in a direction of a bigger city where I would most likely find better supplies, since i couldnt find anything.

Edited by liljestrand