Sign in to follow this  
John Hunter

Bows and Arrows

I would like to know how awesome would it be if they added a craftable bow and arrows in to the game? maybe likes skyrims bows or something IDC i just want them i want to use bows to kill zombies!!

Thanks a lot Daryl Dixon.  Now ever person thinks that killing walkers with a crossbow is the only way to do it!

/s

Thanks a lot Daryl Dixon.  Now ever person thinks that killing walkers with a crossbow is the only way to do it!

/s

Well, this or a silenced gun. Seeing how rare those + ammo will be, bow/crossbow will be the way to go (aside from melee)

I WANT to say that rocket talked about bow and arrows being hard to implement....I'll see if I can find a source. (I might be mistaking though)

I would like to know how awesome would it be if they added a craftable bow and arrows in to the game? maybe likes skyrims bows or something IDC i just want them i want to use bows to kill zombies!!

Bows & arrows, fine, but "craftable?" With respect for awesome games like Skyrim, DayZ is not Skyrim. What are the odds some random schlub survivor is going to possess the knowledge and expertise necessary to craft a functioning, accurate, durable bow out of materials available in the wild? I mean, come on. We suspend our disbelief on the fact that everyone's a marksman and knows how to assemble and disassemble firearms like a highly trained veteran, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Fashioning an effective bow from raw materials would require years of training. You're not just going to take a goddamn kitchen knife out in the backyard and whip yourself up a wicked longbow.

If we get bows & arrows, they should spawn like other weapons in areas where hunters might be (I'm sure you can think of somewhere appropriate in DayZ), and look something like this:

compoundbow.jpg

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Like Daryl on The Walking Dead hum ?!?

/s

Bows & arrows, fine, but "craftable?" With respect for awesome games like Skyrim, DayZ is not Skyrim. What are the odds some random schlub survivor is going to possess the knowledge and expertise necessary to craft a functioning, accurate, durable bow out of materials available in the wild? I mean, come on. We suspend our disbelief on the fact that everyone's a marksman and knows how to assemble and disassemble firearms like a highly trained veteran, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Fashioning an effective bow from raw materials would require years of training. You're not just going to take a goddamn kitchen knife out in the backyard and whip yourself up a wicked longbow.

Not walking dead not a cross bow  like a regualr BOW! :D

Also when i say craftable i mean like making a makeshift one not a perfect one, but maybe you can find better ones also, just something a bit easier to get ahold of and not so military oriented 

You're not just going to take a goddamn kitchen knife out in the backyard and whip yourself up a wicked longbow.

Challenge accepted.

But I agree. It would be awesome to see them in the game, but maybe only be found in houses that are more out in the wilderness rather then the cities. Perhaps the arrows themselves would be able to be crafted, and depending on the materials you use determines the damage, range, and quality.

Edited by Verex11

Well Xbox / Bow+arrow, in case of a zombie apocalypse, would be one of the best way weapon to use

I strongly disagree. They're incredibly slow to reload, extremely difficult to fire accurately at a distance if you're inexperienced, useless at close range and useless once you're out of ammo (not useful as a bludgeoning device or anything). The ability to retrieve ammo is nice, but limited. Often you're going to be firing at zombies when many other zombies are around and you're in the process of GTFO'ing; you're not going to want to hang around for 20 minutes retrieving all your arrows/bolts.

You want ideal weapons for the zombie apocalypse? Here you go:

Ak47bayonet.gif

Woodmans-Pal-481-Classic-Machete.jpg

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I strongly disagree. They're incredibly slow to reload, extremely difficult to fire accurately at a distance if you're inexperienced, useless at close range and useless once you're out of ammo (not useful as a bludgeoning device or anything). The ability to retrieve ammo is nice, but limited. Often you're going to be firing at zombies when many other zombies are around and you're in the process of GTFO'ing; you're not going to want to hang around for 20 minutes retrieving all your arrows/bolts.

You want ideal weapons for the zombie apocalypse? Here you go:

Ak47bayonet.gif

Woodmans-Pal-481-Classic-Machete.jpg

Machete yes, AK with a bayonet maybe but realistically guns would soon be gone along with ammo and arrow can be crafted(not perfect but works) bullets cant(to my knowledge) now i understand that bows and guns both have flaws in them. there is really no perfect weapon to use in this scenario. they all have the right time to use them. no going in guns blazing, hell ya ill use a gun, but hen i don't want to attract to much attention i will use some more along a blunt or shard weapon, melee, so really its up to you as a person, and how you go about things. 

I learned how to craft bows and arrows using only materials in the wild in a couple months.

YouTube "making a primitive self bow"or some such and you will find videos of guys making a nice long now capable of killing deer with only a hatchet and knife in hours.

Bows and arrows have a couple wonderful advantages; they are silent, deadly up to 30 yards or more, ammo can be crafted using only materials found in the wild.

If the dev team wants a consultant or team member to help with this area of the game I'd be ecstatic to do so!

Edited by HELLWOLF