vrsick

IRL, I can open a can of beans with nearly anything...

Why can't I in the game? Given how "real" this is supposed to be, do you really think a starving person wouldn't find a way to open a can? I mean I could probably open a can bare handed if i didn't mind eating the food off the ground, just smash it.

Luckily for you there is more than one thread on said issue.  The recent build WIP allows you to open cans with other items which degrades them i.e. screwdrivers and knifes.  So far screwdrivers are working but knifes are not.  All else fails a can opener will save you.

Regards,

Steak.

This suggestion has been made before. I believe in the latest patch you can open tins/cans with a knife and other sharp objects. I'm sure they'll add some more options to open cans/tins with, however that currently is not their top priority.

Makes sense, i realize this is probably far down on the list of things. Just died from hunger with several cans of beans in my bag so it irked me. Can openers are hard to come by.

You can smack a can of beans against the ground without spilling too much; I think opening by hand (no tools involved) should cause you to get an opened can with 75% of its contents in store.

But dude there's bananas and oranges (the pristine kind, not the rotten badly damaged trash) everywhere.

• Like 1

Well its 2013,

There is a new trick to opening beans with no can opener!

Rub the top on cement for a few secs, KGB Survivalist!

:)!

Sux for the DAYZ, though!

Edited by iDash
  • Like 2

Lol, this just happened too me, But I'm sure there's more important things to get in like animals :D

I would like to open my can of beans by smashing it on the skulls of my enemies.

They should have a low chance to open when you're fist fighting someone whilst holding it in your hands. I beat a guy to death while holding a pen, and all I could think of was that scene in Rock'n Rolla where Johnny Quid kills the bouncer with a pencil... good times!

I've got an ever growing pile of cans in my backpack and no damn way of getting in to them. Since SA was released I've put in about 9 hours game time, and only found one can opener. Any sharp instrument should be able to open them, perhaps with a chance to damage the contents.