Sign in to follow this  
Nibiru (DayZ)

Weird Mouse movement DayZ standalone.

I too have this issue.  I can easily turn all my graphics options to max, post processing to max, and have perfectly playable frame rates (and man it looks great too!), but the smallest actions requiring precision movment are just frustrating as all heck.  I've tried every setting imaginable (both in and out of game) but nothing seems to fix it. 

I'm new to DayZ, never played the mod.  So far, i'm absolutely loving it.  Reminds me very much of the old school days of Ultima Online.  (ahh, the memories...)  There might be bugs, and it's obviously missing many things you'd find in a polished final release, but overall i can see myself playing this for a long while to come.  (And i'm not typically an FPS kind of gamer.) 

But the mouse is just killing me.  Like the OP, i'm a perfectionist when it comes to my control settings.  I remap pretty much every key to my own preferred layout, tweak every setting until it is perfect (that's why i'm a PC gamer - love the customization PCs offer - keyboard + mouse make any console controller look like an old Atari joystick, imo).  Every time i think i have everything set right, i go into a house and try to pick something up and go crazy trying to get the reticle centered.  What is worse, the Y axis works fine, so it's not something that is easy to ignore.  You get one axis right on target every time, but the other is always skewed randomly.  It's very frustrating.

But i'll keep playing.  It's an alpha, and so far i'm very impressed.  Get this one bug fixed, and i'd say i've gotten my money's worth already - long before the game is near-finished.  Considering the hours of enjoyment i've had so far, cash well spent, with even more fun to come.

I believe I have a solution to the X:Y issue.

Go into your documents\dayz\dayz.cfg and change WinX to 32 (the same as Y)

I am still looking to see if there is something for acceleration but have not found anything yet :/

This helped a TON for me with the X:Y ratio issue, thank you!!

Edited by woofdg79

I have the same problem, I have a logitech G5 mouse and a Logitech Mx 3200 wireless keyboard if that is of any help, the mouse lag is unbearable, I move the mouse and it takes almost half a second for the aim to change (ingame, works fine in menus)

I also can't set mouse acceleration to "off", and any settings I do to the mouse (smoothing/deadzone) is reset after I close the options-menu.

I'm well used to how the mouse works in the ArmA-game series, so this has nothing to do with it, and graphics settings doesn't have any effect on this problem either, oh, and I don't have any controllers plugged in,.

Edit: managed to make it a bit less terrible by setting the settings (setting mouse smoothing to minimun) and then pressing enter instead of "close", seems to save the mouse smoothing settings at least.

Edited by Ftmch

No news on this subject? This bug is such a turn off, really needs to be taken care asap.

I've had some sporadic issues where suddenly my guy starts running uncontrollably to the left, which I've usually been able to solve by hitting escape a couple times.  I don't know if it's related or not.

The mouse control in general is turds in this game, hope they work on it because it's all kinds of important.

OT: I loved what I read about the update, coming up next Friday.

But there was nothing in the notes about a mouse acceleration fix or an implementation for a raw input option. 
It's a shame. It might not be as easy to fix as we might think, because Rocket said a few days after the launch that they would fix the acceleration asap. If it was easy I'm sure they'd already fixed it. I just hope they keep it on there list of things to fix and keeping working on it :)

Turn off mouse acceleration from the cfg file I believe.

I am having a very similar issue.
My mouse input seems to lag a little bit unless I turn off pointer acceleration, which is only a problem in this game, and xbox 360 engine ports, like bioshock.... which is weird. it's inconvienent to turn off, but understandable.

As for the other issues, regardless of how I adjust my Y axis, my mouse randomly jumps up or down when moving, violently, unless I turn the y axis all the way down... and then I can't move my aim up or down, at all. When I try to adjust my "dead zone" it reverts back to zero. if anyone has any further suggestions, I would love to hear them, because this is ruinin' my fun.

Do any of you guys turn up DPI on you mice? I got a theory that DPI tricks negg accell into thinking you are moving the mouse way too fast. Maybe try DPI down and use the ingame sensitivity more. For me 1st in SA is exactly the same as in A2 ;)

Do any of you guys turn up DPI on you mice? I got a theory that DPI tricks negg accell into thinking you are moving the mouse way too fast. Maybe try DPI down and use the ingame sensitivity more. For me 1st in SA is exactly the same as in A2 ;)

I just recently got a mouse with a DPI switch on it. I never use it with the DPI turned up high cause the precision is terrible, but I'd be willing to test your theory by turning it up on my mouse in game for a bit. 

I'll let you know what happens.

EDIT:

For me I experienced no negative acceleration when I turned my mouse DPI up. Not sure what other players have experienced though

Edited by DoctorBadSign

Does this fix the negative x-axis mouse acceleration issue? I feel like tearing my hair out.

No it doesn't.

Has been a couple months now. Obviously the devs give zero fucks about this issue.

Is mouse acceleration being fixed?

It is not fixed in this update, but we plan to make control changes. It is not as simple as turning it "off" as the speed your character turns is not dictated by the mouse itself, but your movements combined with the type of weapon you have, how tired you are, etc.

That is straight from the last pending update post .. maybe read some of their posts about stuff before you just jump to conclusions about how many fucks they give :)

i have got the exact same problem and i think most people dont realize it, or they dont have it.

i made a big thread about it, constituting in great detail why mouse movement is so shitty.

But responses made me think that like only half of the people experience this issue.

someone made a video of himself turning in Arma 2 and told me that it was like that, for him, in Dayz aswell.

I compared his time to make a 360° turn and mine, and the results are weird.

Here. The first in this vid is the other guy, the last is me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2WPHaLEMM

Edited by 27 others

I am also having this "negative acceleration" issue (specially in first person?) and it is horrible... For some reason, specially inside buildings, i have to move the mouse for ages to turn around.. But when im outside and try to aim at something, its very sensitive, so i can not crank up the sensitivity more.... Just the worst mouse movement i've had in a game, sadly..

Hope this gets fixed sometime soon.

Edited by ErichZann

lol love that scream at the end of the vid 27 :D

@ ErichZann

The acceleration only applys to 1st person, there isnt any in 3rd i dont think. Im guessing you switch to 1st to loot, and thats where the problem is. Try upping the sensitivity a bit, and or messing with the DPI on you mouse(if you have it). I tried some tests with this, using a friends mouse and did notice that on high DPS the accel was a lot more prominent. And you are sure that you are moving in slow controlled movements, not 3 quick wrist flicks to spin 360?

Some of it may be people just not understanding how it works, but even with that it shouldnt vary so much player to player. There has to be a setting somewhere that we missing. Il post a vid of SA later if I can, including my settings for mouse and stuff. If we all do the same maybe we can get to the bottom of it :)

Unplug other controllers (ESPECIALLY wheels!!) and gaming mice usually have their own control software...see if you can make adjustments in that.

lol love that scream at the end of the vid 27 :D

@ ErichZann

The acceleration only applys to 1st person, there isnt any in 3rd i dont think. Im guessing you switch to 1st to loot, and thats where the problem is. Try upping the sensitivity a bit, and or messing with the DPI on you mouse(if you have it). I tried some tests with this, using a friends mouse and did notice that on high DPS the accel was a lot more prominent. And you are sure that you are moving in slow controlled movements, not 3 quick wrist flicks to spin 360?

Some of it may be people just not understanding how it works, but even with that it shouldnt vary so much player to player. There has to be a setting somewhere that we missing. Il post a vid of SA later if I can, including my settings for mouse and stuff. If we all do the same maybe we can get to the bottom of it :)

Hej, well i mainly noticed it when i started playing on a hardcore server now, there its really annoying.. Cannot change the DPI of my mouse. And I have problems when I just want to look around in a room, not only when i try to make full 180 or 360 degree turns. It just moves to slow in my opinion, but outside its sensitive enough so I can't really increase the overall sensitivity..

I have the same exact problem,the thing is(I know this is going to sound weird) but when you move your mouse slowly it moves faster,and if you try to move it fast IRL it moves slow on the screen........fucked up shit!

I have the same exact problem,the thing is(I know this is going to sound weird) but when you move your mouse slowly it moves faster,and if you try to move it fast IRL it moves slow on the screen........fucked up shit!

That's the point of negative acceleration, up to a point the mouse will respond normally, but move it too fast (like you would in a normal fps game) and it will punish you ;)

Its supposed to stop you doing twitch shots in fractions of a second. But from what we see in the vid its effects vary way too much from player to player. Once you adapt to making slower more controlled movements it should be fine, its just a matter of finding that "sweet spot" where it responds but doesn't pick up any acceleration :)

EDIT - Just done some tests with this in-game and it seems to me that you can rotate a hell of a lot quicker with a weapon in your hands than without. Maybe its trying to simulate the inertia of the weapon moving or something. Give it a try and see if holding your weapon helps atall :)

Edited by Karmaterror

I play with the CS CPL mouse accel fix (removes the values from the windows registry) and I play with my 8500dpi mouse on 810dpi like I do in ALL games.

In-game I have the X and Y sensitivity turned nearly all the way down, only about 3-4 pixels of bar left on each.  This worked fine for me in Arma OA, DayZ mod, and DayZ standalone...until this last patch.

Now, after this last patch (stable branch 0.34.115106), it reset my keyboard bindings, mouse sensitivity, etc.  So I went back in to set everything back up the way it was.

Now I can move my mouse at a relative pace left to right and up and down and it works just fine.  However, if I move my mouse twitch fast left or right the mouse either goes UP in to the sky or DOWN in to the ground.

If I mouse very quickly to the RIGHT, the mouse veers UP till I'm looking straight up in to the sky.  I'm not even mousing UP?!?

If I move the mouse very quickly LEFT, the mouse veers DOWN until I'm looking at my feet.  I'm not mousing DOWN at all?!  Just left to right.

The mouse only veers down when I mouse left quickly, and only veers up when I mouse right quickly.

That's how it works now, great... never have I experienced such broken mouse behavior.

GG

Edited by Cinnabuns

Well, here is another anticipated access' buyer who have the same related issue from the very first moment... this is hell.

I have been playing pc games since the mice had ball and I had not ever experienced such a horrible issue!! The most incredible thing is that I entered into this thread and I saw the first comment's date and I thought "wwow, this issue is fixed for sure in this kind of community and this kind of game" (specially when we are paying for anticiped alpha access, not beeing a free alpha/beta) and when I saw this thread had 4 pages I started reading all of you just expecting to find the solution but... BAM!!! shot of reality !!

Wasted money and wasted time, until they fix this issue. Any other issu could be affordable. This one is like avoiding us to move forward or something like that...

Luck to all and regards,

Demota

Same here, I just can't seem to get used to it. It forces me to keep focussing on how I move my mouse and it's pretty much ruining the game for me.

I expected bugs & crashes but this feels way worse.

Keeping an eye out for patch notes but it's impossible to enjoy the game with these kind of mouse controlls.

Ok, so I just bought this game and realized that there is a half a second delay from when I move my mouse to when my character moves. This also happens to my keyboard movements as well. I'd like to know if I can fix this response lag