carlj

Possible FPS Enhancer

Woah looks complex in abit, but I'll surely give it a try, thanks!

Hi Everyone,

New here but really looking for the code or any other help to boost my FPS while playing DayZ. My specs are below

GPU: GeForce GTX 460

CPU: Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.75ghz

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Vista Ultimate 64

I realize my system is archaeic (circa 2009), so any and all help is appreciated. I am in the midst of building a new computer but it wont be finished till late summer due to budget. Any quick fixes and the relevant code discussed by OP to boost FPS would be greatly appreciated!

My specs:

CPU: i3-4130 (3.4 GHz)

GPU: Intel HD 4400

RAM: 8 GB dual-channel (Anyway, it's fine even with 4 GB. A huge difference (tested) is dual-channel vs single-channel memory mode because my GPU is sharing the same RAM with system)

My settings: (I don't use launch options or in file settings)

Rendering resolution: 1280x720

User interface:

-> Resolution: 1280x720

-> Aspect ratio: 16:9

Textures:

-> Video Memory: Auto (I really had problems when changing to other setting. My video card was not using all the memory)

-> Texture Detail: High (On my resolution I did not see any improvement going to Very High)

-> Texture Filtering: Very Low (This is anisotropic 2x and it is very important for good performance on my particular video card. Higher setting will need larger video memory bandwidth and it has a huge impact on performance)

Quality:

-> Objects: Normal (Also this setting is very important for performance. It relies on both CPU and GPU. Lower setting will make players not rendered properly at distance, so keeping this at least to Normal is must for me)

-> Terrain: Very Low (But I never see any difference)

-> Clouds: Disabled

-> Shadows: Disabled

Rendering: Everything Disabled except Edge Smoothing to SMAA Very High (it helps with edges). And HDR Quality to Very Low.

With this settings I get an average of 30-35 fps almost everywhere. In the worst case (in forests) I get 25 fps, in cities almost 30 fps, in open field 45 fps. Even when zooming in I get almost 30 fps in most cases. (DayZ 0.44)

Now comes the tricky part. I don't know for nVidia or AMD, but Intel video driver is doing something strange. If I set my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 (monitor native resolution) and launch DayZ with settings above, even if user interface and rendering resolution is 1280x720, in order to fill the screen the upscale is done internally by the video driver and the monitor receives 1920x1080 frames (tested with "Information" setting on monitor menu). This upscale done by the driver is very sharp and because I don't use anti-aliasing the edges are very annoying. So I set my desktop resolution to 1280x720 before entering the game and now the monitor receive 1280x720 frames, no upscale processing is done by the video card. The upscale is done internally by the monitor in order to fill the screen. And it make a smoother image with smother edges. Even if I post a screenshoot, you can't see the image on my monitor. It really looks great.

Another trick which will improve performance 100%:

Assuming you have a 16:9 monitor and you can set the aspect ratio from the monitor menu.

On the above settings try this and will see a great improvement with almost no visible quality loss:

1. Set your desktop resolution to 1024x768 and configure you video driver not to stretch the image, keep aspect ration (that is 4:3 - 1024x768)

2. In DayZ change User interface -> Resolution to 1024 x 768, Aspect Ration 16:9 (This is the "shape" of the in game filed of view), Rendering resolution 1024x768. Restart the game if needed. Now the image is stretched because the game is rendering a 16:9 scene in a 4:3 resolution. The monitor should display black bars on the left and right.

3. Go to the monitor menu and change the aspect ratio to 16:9. Now the monitor will make the 4:3 image stretch to 16:9 and the image looks normal.

This is a great performance improvement since you lowered resolution but keep the same wide 16:9 field of view. In cinematography this is called anamorphic format where a 4:3 image holds information intended to be displayed on 16:9 displays.

I hope this will help all those with lower end PCs.

Edited by lucianpin
  • Like 1

I changed everything according to the OP and I'm seeing some odd issues. First off my character reset (boo) and second when I enter a server all objects load really slowly and are basic grey polygons. This lasts for probably 45 seconds or so then everything will load as it should.

Its not a huge deal but twice now while loading I've been attacked and had no idea how to defend or move until everything loaded.

I changed everything according to the OP and I'm seeing some odd issues. First off my character reset (boo) and second when I enter a server all objects load really slowly and are basic grey polygons. This lasts for probably 45 seconds or so then everything will load as it should. Its not a huge deal but twice now while loading I've been attacked and had no idea how to defend or move until everything loaded.

I am seeing this grey polygons too but for a short period of time. I guess it depends on texture loading time. I keep my game defragmented and because having 8 GB RAM no paging operations occur during game loading. For me, the game is loading really fast.

Hi, My specs...

Intel i7 CPU @ 1.60 GHz

6.0 GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5650 1 GB Ram

I know my video card is crap but I am having a very hard time getting and staying above 20 fps in city or forest and it's very frustrating. I tried changing my .cfg files and the startup commands suggested as well as having almost ALL of the in game settings disabled or as low as they can go. It helped a small amount but I'm still getting on average 15-20 fps.

It's very frustrating. I can play BF3 almost full out specs and looks beautiful yet I can't get good numbers on this, I would love to play this game but it's very had to do when I'm getting numbers like that. Is my comp really that bad?

Thanks for updating with the .cfg information.

Hi, My specs...

Intel i7 CPU @ 1.60 GHz

6.0 GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5650 1 GB Ram

I know my video card is crap but I am having a very hard time getting and staying above 20 fps in city or forest and it's very frustrating. I tried changing my .cfg files and the startup commands suggested as well as having almost ALL of the in game settings disabled or as low as they can go. It helped a small amount but I'm still getting on average 15-20 fps.

It's very frustrating. I can play BF3 almost full out specs and looks beautiful yet I can't get good numbers on this, I would love to play this game but it's very had to do when I'm getting numbers like that. Is my comp really that bad?

Your graphic card performance is almost as good as mine (Intel HD 4400) and I play at 30 fps average and in the worst case (city or forest) ~25 fps. In open field 40+ fps.

You did not mention your dayZ user interface resolution and rendering resolution.

i5-2320 CPU

8gb ram

AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb

followed instructions and even followed instruction of someones link and turned all setting down or off.

went from 15-30 fps to 30-60 fps even getting 40-50 fps on top of police station in berizino

Altough it looks pretty crappy the performance has had a major boost. Thanks for the help guys i might even turn the AA back on and turn up draw distance as it doesnt look great atm.

Me again, I discovered something. For low end PCs/video cards, when anti-aliasing would hurt too much performance...

I saw that Edge Smoothing from Rendering menu is most effective when rendering resolution is 100% of user interface resolution. However, Edge Smoothing affects a little bit FPS performance too, so as an alternative I changed my user interface resolution from 1280x720 to 1600x900 and the rendering resolution I left it at 1280x720 which is now 80% of user interface. This creates a soft effect of the image and Edge Smoothing can be disabled because it has non-perceptible effect now. In my opinion now it looks better and also gained some FPS improvement.

Edited by lucianpin

Well. My little home built rig did an ok job of running dayz SA but in some towns it did get a little laggy.

So today I thought I would try it. Hey presto. GPS is sooo much better.

I used the standard stuff (no splash world=empty etc) plus the .cfg file changes and it helped soo much!

I even got onto a server and loaded quicker :)

Just to add to my post. Although I'm loving the new fps I am getting far more game crashes.. Maybe the world loader in the .cfg is causing it? I'll have a look on Sunday when I get chance to get back on :)

Edited by RyGo UK

-exThreads=[your amount]

What is that and where can I find it?

I have my launch options to 

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -winxp -maxMem=4096, -maxVRAM=32, cpuCount=4, -exThreads=

Is it fine the way it is or do I need to fix something (add commas, etc)?

Edited by FREDDIEkillz

Do these parameter tweaks and the change of the two files to "read-only" affect changes made by updates?
I.e., could people with these changes be passed over by possible fps improvements?

Step numero dos would be to locate and open your .cfg-file as been posted on the forum before. (C:\Users\USER\Documents\DayZ) 

Changeing the values:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3

to

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1

And in the DayZProfile.cfg we can change: 

COMPUTERNAME\Documents\DayZ Other Profiles\STEAMNAME.DayZProfile.cfg:

sceneComplexity=100000;
shadowZDistance=90;
viewDistance=1600;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1600;

Setting launch parameters doesn't work good for me but edditing this .cfg helped except that I had to go lower with  sceneComplexity to 50000, viev 1000 and prefered obcject at 800.

Graphic took massive kick in the balls but at least now I have enought FPS to competate in a multiplayer.

I was having major graphics/FPS issues (my PC can play games like Outlast/GTA 4 on very high). I had to reduce the resolution down to 50% (which looked awful and unplayable) with every setting on low or disabled. Then i found this guide and now it runs like a charm and looks pretty good at the same time.

I'll try some of the suggestions in here later to see if i can make it look any better!

Just a friendly warning from me:

If you put sceneComplexity lower then 200000 you will not be able to see zombies or players on the distance ~600 meters and greater even with zoom. You will need optics like scope or binoculars for that.

Is there an up-to-date guide on all this stuff? All these findings are great but they're heavily fragmented across all the posts and not backed up with any solid statements ... At least, not all of 'm.

Setting launch parameters doesn't work good for me but edditing this .cfg helped except that I had to go lower with  sceneComplexity to 50000, viev 1000 and prefered obcject at 800.

Graphic took massive kick in the balls but at least now I have enought FPS to competate in a multiplayer.

What are your system specs, just curious.

What are your system specs, just curious.

AMD Athlon dual core 3.10 GHz

6 GB ram

GeForce GTX 260

PS.

Changed my .cfg setting again to default but just limited viewdistance to 500 now, to have 'optimal' (15-30) FPS.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

great guide, the world=empty trick is genious, my client loads the game so much faster now =)

Would making changes like suggested for viewDistance, sceneComplexity, shadowZDistance and perferredObjectViewDistance be considered hacking or cheating in any way, shape or form?

Drag.

Would making changes like suggested for viewDistance, sceneComplexity, shadowZDistance and perferredObjectViewDistance be considered hacking or cheating in any way, shape or form?

Drag.

Hope a developer will answer this question. I don't believe it is, especially considering how easy they made it to edit these values.