carlj

Possible FPS Enhancer

I tried these and managed to eek out another ~5 fps.

I'm now running ~25ish fps on my Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2 ghz, 4 gb DDR2, and a HD 5700.  Still looking for some advice if I should splurge on a GPU and ram or will I see more improvement picking up a new rig with a more current CPU and type of ram.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try these tweaks when I get off work.

I'm currently running ~20fps with my Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2 ghz, 4 GB DDR2 on a HD 5700. I finally got the OK from the wife to upgrade my vid card and ram to 16 GB just for DayZ but after reading some of these posts am confused if I shouldn't just go for newer rig. Anyone have any advice?

I think you'll be in the same boat as me if you upgrade only your video card.  I just upgraded from two 7770's in Crossfire to a single GTX 760 and see no improvement in this game (a great improvement in other games though, almost double the improvement).  I'm assuming it's because my cpu is limiting it, I'm running a Phenom II 965 oc'd to 4ghz with 16gb ram in a 990FX board.  

I get the best performance from just hitting "Default" in the settings panel.  I can up the texture settings to max with no hit to my fps and I turn bloom almost off with HDR on low just because I think that looks best, and I keep the AA settings on "Normal".  I also "fix" the resolution to run at my native 1080.  In towns I'm getting mid 20's and out in the woods or a field it goes up to 40-50fps.  Lowering the settings doesn't gain me anything and using any of the settings from the first page gain me nothing.  

This game reminds me of having to tweak Oblivion so it would run at it's full potential.  In that game it worked though.   <_<

Edited by Chew_Magna

I think you'll be in the same boat as me if you upgrade only your video card.  I just upgraded from two 7770's in Crossfire to a single GTX 760 and see no improvement in this game (a great improvement in other games though, almost double the improvement).  I'm assuming it's because my cpu is limiting it, I'm running a Phenom II 965 oc'd to 4ghz with 16gb ram in a 990FX board.  

I get the best performance from just hitting "Default" in the settings panel.  I can up the texture settings to max with no hit to my fps and I turn bloom almost off with HDR on low just because I think that looks best, and I keep the AA settings on "Normal".  I also "fix" the resolution to run at my native 1080.  In towns I'm getting mid 20's and out in the woods or a field it goes up to 40-50fps.  Lowering the settings doesn't gain me anything and using any of the settings from the first page gain me nothing.  

This game reminds me of having to tweak Oblivion so it would run at it's full potential.  In that game it worked though.   <_<

You shouldnt assume anything with the RV Engine, as it is horrible optimized when it came out, and yet today is horrible.

I have a decent gaming PC with i7 4770k @ 4,5Ghz, MSI 780GTX@ 1205/7000Mhz and it still brings my computers down to its knees in cities, just because of the simple fact that the game and engine doesnt know what to do with all the power. I have average 25% usage on my CPU and between 20-40% on my GPU. 

The only difference now between my PC and laptop is that I rarely drop below 30 in cities.

So top tip: DO NOT BUY NEW HARDWARE for the soul purpose of playing DayZ. 

It is impossible to imagine/project what result youll get. 

• Like 1

You shouldnt assume anything with the RV Engine, as it is horrible optimized when it came out, and yet today is horrible.

I have a decent gaming PC with i7 4770k @ 4,5Ghz, MSI 780GTX@ 1205/7000Mhz and it still brings my computers down to its knees in cities, just because of the simple fact that the game and engine doesnt know what to do with all the power. I have average 25% usage on my CPU and between 20-40% on my GPU. 

The only difference now between my PC and laptop is that I rarely drop below 30 in cities.

So top tip: DO NOT BUY NEW HARDWARE for the soul purpose of playing DayZ. 

It is impossible to imagine/project what result youll get. 

Thank you.  You said it best.

I can get this game to run 15-30fps on many range of systems.. but the same issue across all of them is the same.. Come close to a City & all will get crushed.  Game is not utilizing hardware efficiently at all right now.

I strongly suggest helping this Feedback page with any & all data you collect.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=3356

Cant see the DayZ Other Profiles folder? Help? I can see the regular Dayz with the config file though.

Sorry for asking, but I'm not that much of a hardware wizz, can anyone tell me what I'd need to put in with my setup? It's as follows:

CPU: AMD black edition FX6200, which I think is a sixcore. but I could be wrong.

Graphics: XFX Radeon HD6970

RAM: 2x Corsair XMS3 4GB (8GB total)

should it be this?

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=8191 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=6

Edited by kaeden

Hey, I have a few questions:

Scenecomplexity - I currently have this to 50000 but the structures look kinda bad, changing it to 100000 will drop my fps?

ShadowZDistance - Had this to 100, didn't knew I can use 90 too. Looking forward to see what changed.

ViewDistance - Currently have this to 1000, I suppose that changing it to 1600 will drop my fps a lot.

-winxp works great but if you alt+tab the game crashes.

Thanks a lot for the great guide!

I'm not sure I'm getting the right order or numbers for my system. The launch parameters I entered don't change anything performance wise. Not that I notice anyway. Can someone help me with figuring out what to type in for my system?

My gpu is gtx460m 1.5gb

My CPU is i7 740qm

And my laptop has 8gb for ram

Do I have to alter the parameters at all due to me using all mobile laptop parts? I can't figure it out.

Also, for the MAX memory line should I type in my total for ram or is it better to set it lower than my max since there's always other processes going while I game? What about the VRAM as well, max number?

Thank you and sorry for the wall of text I'm just confused and half stupid

hi people.

what happens if someone (like me) cannot find the DayZ Other Profiles at all?

And no, it's not hidden and does not appear on search either...the game works though, but i was willing to try

what others suggested here.

Win7 X64 pro.

How can i edit:

sceneComplexity
shadowZDistance
viewDistance...

thank you for any advice.

Edited by mugur

Is this how I would put for mines?

Specs:

AMD FX-8320

8GB DDR3 1600

EVGA GTX 760 2GB

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=8 -exThreads=8

Thanks!

if i set my scenecomplexity to a very high value (double the standart or something) can i then see through windows on long range better?

even if i set my object quality to very high, far away things are very edgy and blink a lot, they just look bugged

People need to understand few things when tweaking their PCs or even upgrading components.

- The engine of DayZ-SA(RV) has optimization issues that does not come from insufficient hardware in your PC. When people look up their CPU/GPU loads and they are relatively low even though game is struggling, you can't do much about it.

- There is no maximum supported VRAM. Even more, I go as far to say that the game supports 4GB very well. But, VRAM does not affect the performance of your GPU if it is not being utilized at its maximum. Say, you play on fullHD screen, you will never hit the 2GB limit on your GPU so changing that to any higher wouldn't matter. That said, you should play on, say, 3x 4K screens to utilize your 4GB VRAM (averagely, taken into account how low-res textures this game uses).

- Whilst this may or may not be changed, changing your usable VRAM to anything besides Automatic, could cause issues for the game engine to properly use the available VRAM. Due to imperfections in engine, you may or may not suffer under bottle-necking.

- Force-utilizing HyperThreading may also cause issues due to the engine optimizations. It is not meant to utilize 8 threads, forcing to spread the load on the 8 threads may cause you hitting the engine bottleneck faster. That may cause the game to struggle whilst your CPU stays under light load.

- You will not benefit from 16GB of RAM, or 32GB and so on so forth. Also, you won't gain any performance from faster RAM unless you are using an AMDs APU. When the cfg files are un-tweaked, the game uses automatically all it needs from available RAM.

- DayZ-SA seems to prefer AMD GPUs over nVidia counterparts (I do not have any detailed and accurate tests results but I have compared how this engine works on at best case mid-class AMD card (7850 2GB) and slightly more powerful GTX660Ti, GTX760 and it seems that slightly less powerful 7850 performs same or at the times even better than more powerful nVidia cards (it may or may not be because of AMDs higher VRAM bandwidth).

- If you are using more than one card from either AMD or nVidia, you likely experience more issues to run this game playable quality because of poor optimization for SLI/CF and SLI/CF poor optimization itself. If you do want to run SLI or CF, create a profile for the game under GPU control panel, it may help you gain performance from more than one card but the scaling will be lousy due to RV engine used.

- If you are planning on upgrading you PC, you shouldn't prefer HT or more than 4 cores over quad-core CPU which are a lot cheaper. Choose one more powerful GPU over two or more inferior ones (note that the more vcards you have, the bigger issues you will be facing). RAM over 8GB won't help you run the game better, faster RAM only has impact on AMD APUs. However running the game from SSD will significantly lower loading times for geometrics/textures.

Hopefully someone will benefit from those few tips or at least save some money by not buying useless components or overpaying for overkill.

I am not saying these tweaks won't help you. Some of the things that caused problems in the Mod, may be fixed for SA so try them out before running to shop and spending another thousand dollars on new PC that will run the game at same level of performance.

Edited by SGT. Kalme

All this is great, but a lot is unneccessary. For example, you can just set cpucount to double your number of cores and not use the thread config.

We need Optimization in this game in order to play it properly.  My advice to you all is to wait until the game is completly optimized and then think about getting a better rig to run it. I have a Core Quad Q8300 intel, 4gb ram and a gtx560 gpu. Out of cities i run the game with 35 - 50 fps and in towns 20-25 fps. Wich means that i am running same as you guys with I7 processor etc... So like i said, the game is not optimized, just change your Distance's of view in the folder to gain some performance (thats the only thing that will improve a bit) and wait untill they optimized it.

Added -nosplash -skipIntro -cpuCount=3 -exThreads=3 will see how it goes :) might push a little more out of my ADM Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition =)

can someone shed some light on setting up steam for my pc?

CPU - AMD Athlon x4 640 @ 3.5ghz

Mem - 16 gigs Patriot 1866 

Is there any other things I need to add?

Thank you for this awesome post!  This should be a "Sticky".

After spending about 30 minutes tweaking the settings, I was able to get over 90 FPS!  Although, it's still a bit jumpy {expected}, my lowest fps is around 40... .. . 

My specs:

AMD FX 8350 <~~~ Liquid Cooled

990FX Mobo

8GB Mushkin

128 SSD

AMD HD 7950 3GB

My Steam Launch Options:  -nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=3070 -cpuCount=8 -exThreads=8

Tweaking the DayZProfile file a bit more seemed to help as well.

Things to note: I disabled VSync, Postprocess Quality and turned rotation blur all the way down.

Edited by BaL

Thank you for this awesome post!  This should be a "Sticky".

After spending about 30 minutes tweaking the settings, I was able to get over 90 FPS!  Although, it's still a bit jumpy {expected}, my lowest fps is around 40... .. . 

My specs:

AMD FX 8350 <~~~ Liquid Cooled

990FX Mobo

8GB Mushkin

128 SSD

AMD HD 7950 3GB

My Steam Launch Options:  -nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=3070 -cpuCount=8 -exThreads=8

Tweaking the DayZProfile file a bit more seemed to help as well.

Things to note: I disabled VSync, Postprocess Quality and turned rotation blur all the way down.

I have You same specs...exept cooling system and videocard....video is a 7970 2 gb....don't remember the motherboard but I have a SSD aswell...

I've set the same string but i don't see any improvement.

O.S. is Win 7 64 bit ultimate.

I will do some tests more. But i realize that if there will not be an optimization for AMD cpu because the engine is older for this kind of cpu...we will always play like this :(

Edited by GunnyITA

I have You same specs...exept cooling system and videocard....video is a 7970 2 gb....don't remember the motherboard but I have a SSD aswell...

I've set the same string but i don't see any improvement.

O.S. is Win 7 64 bit ultimate.

I will do some tests more. But i realize that if there will not be an optimization for AMD cpu because the engine is older for this kind of cpu...we will always play like this :(

I'm using Win 8 64 bit pro.  I've been reading and it seems to be hit and miss with others.  Try changing your graphic settings too, that might help.

I'm using Win 8 64 bit pro.  I've been reading and it seems to be hit and miss with others.  Try changing your graphic settings too, that might help.

I don't think O.S. will change something as from what i remember Arma2 was designed at least for XP and maximum was 7 or Vista. Probably is just a case...I'm using the string you've written and i don't see any change exept A loading bar while joining, bohemia logo disappeared and the char on main menu does not happear.

How's your graphic set? Resolution and details?

Hello all ... I just bought the game and also tried to play but the game was unplayable in Every setting i tried from low until very high even with the starting code ...

my specs are

CPU : Intel i7 940 @ 2.66 Ghz

VGA : Gainward GTX 760 Phantom

Ram : 6 GB Triple Channel

Please Help :)

Thanks for your guide. Can reach stable 30FPS, 20-25 in citys.

:thumbsup: 

btw:

Cant recommend to set

"sceneComplexity=100000;"

Not a single Frame more, instead i had to struggle with flickering LoD´s when i was looking at buildings. In some cases i wasn´t able to look through windows, standing only a few meters away from them.

can someone tell me what launch parameters I need.

I have done the .cfg tweaks... I struggle to get 30 fps in cities.

OS - Windows 8.1

CPU - Intel i7 4930k @ 3.5 liquid cooled

GPU - GTX780

200 gig SSD

16 gig Ram