Sign in to follow this  
bekk

255 km2 map but just 50 player Server?

Hey,

i played this mod now for hours and its awesome but i didnt meet once another player. Its not a big surprise with a 255km2 map including 45 cities and just max 50 player for each server. I was even in cities like elektro and near the spawn points at coasts but i still find no one although i read a lot death messages.

Sure survivors are supposed to be sparse during a zombie apocalypse but still its a 255km2 map which is 30x bigger then the gta 4 map and it is 2x bigger then the World of Warcraft map which is designed for 14 Million Player ...

I mean wouldnt 50 or 100 km2 be enough or raise the server cap to 100? I played lot of hours in the south areas / big cities like elektro and didnt see any player at all

So does a 100 player+ server exist or a smaller map becasue of the 50 player limit? How and where do you find other survivors/bandits in this big map? Hell i would be even happy if i would meet a bandit but this game just feels like a singleplayer to me and it seems that the only chance is to join a clan or something but this would destroy the feeling of running around and finding players there.

What FM said, i believe there was a 150 slot server and 100 slot, not sure if they're still open, but in the 2 major southern cities on the coast you're more than likely to encounter multiple players

I imagine survivors are supposed to be sparse - it's the zombie apocalypse.

I've seen 76 man servers though. I tend to see a hell of a lot of people in and around Cherno too.

Rocket has said that there has been testing on 100 person server. I'm sure that when a lot of the game is close to ready as Rocket sees it he will increase the server size when servers can handle it when performing well

50 players per server is not a hard cap. From my understanding there is some underlying performance issues when an individual instance of the server code has more then 50 players on it - performance goes way down. I read on the forum that you can get better performance running 4 50 slot server instances on the same hardware then one 75 slot instance.

Maybe that has changed with a recent patch, but I am not aware of it if it did.

There are some 60 slot servers out there.

What the medic said. People avoid each other most the time but hey, if you want to cause much butt hurt, go looking for people and blow them away without asking their name.

I guarantee that hilarity will ensue.

I was playing on a server yesterday for an hour and there were only 12 people when I logged on and 8 when I logged off, during that time I played with a friend and we encountered 5 other players! It's amazing how sometimes you don't see anyone and then other times you feel like you can't get away.

Sure survivors are supposed to be sparse during a zombie apocalypse but still its a 255km2 map which is 30x bigger then the gta 4 map and it is 2x bigger then the World of Warcraft map which is designed for 14 Million Player ...

I mean wouldnt 50 or 100 km2 be enough or raise the server cap to 100? I played lot of hours in the south areas / big cities like elektro and didnt see any player at all

Full 50 player servers tend to have roughly 700-1000 zeds wobbling around the Chernarus.. and when a player moves closer to something important/interesting, zeds (and loot) will spawn there.

Now think about having 100 players on a server.. there would be 1500+ zeds + other stuff that server has to track. As it is now, servers are barely managing smoothly those 50 players + zeds + loot + other stuff, but without further optimization of the server and client side codes I would not want to play on those 100 player servers. The lag would be horrible.

On the other hand I think it would be nice to have larger player caps on servers but that will probably come later as the mod evolves.

just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't see you.