obiwanjacobey

TEXT SYSTEM V.S. ICON SYSTEM

2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth.jpg
Good News Everybody.

Looks like they will be removing redundant message telling you that you are thirsty/hungry AND adding some indicators in the inventory screen.

• Like 1

It is physically not possible to pass out willingly in real life from too much running. Read this again. You can not willingly run yourself unconscious.

LOL... 

As a First Responder I must tell you that you are mistaken, VERY VERY MISTAKEN.

2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth.jpg

Good News Everybody.

Looks like they will be removing redundant message telling you that you are thirsty/hungry AND adding some indicators in the inventory screen.

Thank you Jebus! The text is sooo annoying. It feels like the character is bitching constantly about something. I'm hungry, I'm le tired, I'm horny, I'm this, I'm that...  Indicators are  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

4th post down - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154362-solved-im-hungry-and-my-head-hurts/

the one with greyish text.

i had same problem, but read that, and snack regularly :-p

Been running back and forth to get ammo, then collecting food/drink on coast and getting in to fights, then runs back to ammo. 3-5 hours of running, gunning and seaching.

Most people and by most I mean, most, don't run 1 mile a day.  Most certainly don't run 3-7 miles a day.  15? 30?  Running burns a lot of calories.  Sure, you wouldn't stop and take breaks every 2 minutes to eat or drink so things probably need adjusted but have you guys tried walking?

I'm just curious because I know FPS players and they love to just run and run and hop and run all over the place and "get there before the other guy" and on an on.

I'm also curious of the initial dynamics.  How many of you are running all over hell's creation and how many of your are meticulously walking around.  Have you tried walking?  Do you still get hungry/thirsty stuff every 2 minutes?

Walk?

Walk......

You must be joking. 

I dont mind the text alerts but with some types of drinks ive drunk them and then instead of being told my thirst is quenched it tells me i am no longer hungry... Am I the only one that had this or is it some kind of bug?

Some of us are fine walking/running 3k and having it take a decent amount of time. 

Ha, are you playing with friends and chatting the whole way perchance? As a mostly solo player I wouldn't be walking for a full hour just to get to Stary. Maybe I'm impatient.

I dont mind the text alerts but with some types of drinks ive drunk them and then instead of being told my thirst is quenched it tells me i am no longer hungry... Am I the only one that had this or is it some kind of bug?

There are three areas that food and drink can boost...

Hydration - Energy - Calories

Soda Pop has lots of hydration but also boosts energy and calories. Rice, eaten uncooked gives you calories but lowers your hydration, it actually pulls water from your body. Soup(if it exists) would add to hydration and calories about an equal amount or maybe a bit more calories and then some hydration. 

So you are thirsty but mostly full on food. You drink a soda which doesn't raise your thirst enough to quench it but does have that minor bump up to calories and so you feel full and satisfied. 

Ha, are you playing with friends and chatting the whole way perchance? As a mostly solo player I wouldn't be walking for a full hour just to get to Stary. Maybe I'm impatient.

As a mater of fact...

Actually we were not chatting most of the way but we were updating each other on what we were doing and finding as we tried to link up. Even so there are times when running around solo, even on things like Epoch where I ditch the vehicles and tons of gear and just move around the map on foot because I tend to skip past things while driving and I tend to have fun just moving up on an area and interacting with it. In SA I am really enjoying that I can hit even the little 3-4 house clusters and find plenty of items in them in between the larger cities. I think some people are just setting a waypoint on a compass and running straight to a location instead of looking around. 

Another problem I have with the text system is if I leave my computer for 2 minutes to let dog out, open door for someone, eat/drink IRL, etc. then when I get back I have no way of reading these messages that disappear in 5 seconds. Icons would solve this. Or, if a text system is a must for whatever reason, maybe add a scroll bar for me to scroll back up and see why my guy is slowing dying...

• Like 1

Everyone playing the game needs to report issues, that's what an alpha is for. Stop acting like reporting problems is against some sort of policy.

Constructive criticism should always be welcome, pretending as though an early alpha build should be polished and balanced while being hostile about it should and is met with equal hostility.

Some take it too far but being upset in day one means you should have waited to buy the standalone.

Instead of running to the NWAF, try walking the entire way. Be sure to take frequent breaks even while walking (if you start to notice that the stars are moving when standing still, or that buildings look like jello, you need to use the sit button and rest (while your doing this, have a drink and a bit to eat to help).

I have been alive for some time and have traveled a large distance (have only lost 1 character so far, and that's cause a friend killed me while testing stuff).

I feel like the longer your character is alive, the less food/water you need to survive (maybe I am wrong, but i don't get messages about being tired, and don't have to eat/drink nearly as much now).

• Like 1

Instead of running to the NWAF, try walking the entire way. Be sure to take frequent breaks even while walking (if you start to notice that the stars are moving when standing still, or that buildings look like jello, you need to use the sit button and rest (while your doing this, have a drink and a bit to eat to help).

I have been alive for some time and have traveled a large distance (have only lost 1 character so far, and that's cause a friend killed me while testing stuff).

I feel like the longer your character is alive, the less food/water you need to survive (maybe I am wrong, but i don't get messages about being tired, and don't have to eat/drink nearly as much now).

I actually have the same kind of feeling that longer you survive, less you need to eat and drink etc. Maybe distance you travel has something to do with that too. Worth staying alive then a bit longer. 

Last night I played for 5 hours and was gunned down eventually but while I run from NEAF to Devils Castle and then to NWAF I didn't need to drink nor eat as much as when I started my journey. Actually I drank and ate only once in that trip. 

Edited by jjlankinen

remember Rocket said he wants to get rid of the text system in a stream some time ago.

Admittedly not a dev myself however this text update system is tHe perfect thing to have in place right now.  Why?  Because it updates the client on the player status.  All they have to do in a future update is:

Message sent to client -->  I feel thirsty

Client receives messag ---> plays sound for corresponding message

No more client messages flashing on screen, all status messages played as sounds to the player to inform them of health status (which is what Rocket said he wanted originally).

I'm sure its just an "alpha" way of checking that the client is receiving these messages correctly and in the correct manor/timing.

Rocket recently said they've hired some sound guys to overhaul the sound system so I'm guessing this is what they'll be working on along with other sound placeholders currently in place.

Edited by Cinnabuns
  • Like 1

The problem is the fact that you are running, its supposed to be around 12miles to the airfield from the beach, that's half marathon distances.

I think this is to encourage gathering supplies and then making our way inland instead of the standard run to the airfield and grab cool guns

The problem is the fact that you are running, its supposed to be around 12miles to the airfield from the beach, that's half marathon distances.

I think this is to encourage gathering supplies and then making our way inland instead of the standard run to the airfield and grab cool guns

No one feels like sitting on the coast all day, and if and when you die, no one wants to take 2-4 hours EVERY time to get back up north, thats ridiculous.

No one feels like sitting on the coast all day, and if and when you die, no one wants to take 2-4 hours EVERY time to get back up north, thats ridiculous.

Very valid point... one of the huge reasons why I got extremely dissatisfied with the Chenarus map and Vanilla DayZ.  This issue creates the situation that everyone complains about, bambi killing.

Why is Balota, Cherno, Elektro, always so dangerous?  Because everyone spawns on the coast down south.  It creates an area where people are going to be at and not be very well armed, thus making it easy pickings for experienced bandits and/or well geared players to gather to prey on these players who don't have much.  And yes, I am all for KoS and banditry, but I would rather it be spread out and more situational regardless of how long a person has been spawned in on that life.

Now it takes forever to get North away from these high traffic/dangerous areas because you don't want to run and make yourself thirsty/hungry.  Thus you compound the problem of people spawning in the south in these high traffic area's.

Why not keep both and let everyone choose between text and icon in the settings? Personally I prefer icons, since the text annoys the living crap out of me because it sometimes starts all over again in less than 1 min after you drink or eat plenty. Or when the character is really hungry or thirsty it could start to loudly complain about it, like when injured "ahh, it fukin hurts" etc. That would add some survival effects since Z´s and other players would hear you.

Why not keep both and let everyone choose between text and icon in the settings?

Because two designs for one system means twice the testing, twice the bugs, and twice the maintenance cost when it comes time to make changes.

rocket has already declared the text system to be "shit" so I think he's going to replace it with something more to his liking.

Because two designs for one system means twice the testing, twice the bugs, and twice the maintenance cost when it comes time to make changes.

rocket has already declared the text system to be "shit" so I think he's going to replace it with something more to his liking.

"more to his liking" thats just stupid. Lmao.