OrLoK

Beginners Guide.

Hello guys, I wanted to know if its normal that nobody ever answers the chat- I never met any human player? Also is it possible to restart the game from zero?

Thanks!

Yes, its normal.... the most players shoot before asking some questions.... sad, but true. to restart, get killed and you starting from zero.

PS: also the map is not working for me...what about you? Thanks :)

You have to collect all pieces of the map to use it.

PS: also the map is not working for me...what about you? Thanks :)

i put the map in my hotbar (lets say number 4) , then i hold down 4 and bingo!i can see my part of the map (it comes in sections now only showing either N,S,E, or WEST Chernarus depending on what you found).hope this fixes your problem.

B.T.W. you can no longer "shift left click" on the map to make a visible marker.maybe with a G.P.S.?

Iam into my 3rd day of the Z and found ALOT of stuff. First i had remembered it should head land in and avoid the coast. Find a well and drink till you are really full and run. :D

I think i crossed the map some times. Ran in circles for hours but allways found interesting stuff. Looking for landmarks. Climbing up towers and chimneys to check around. Found a castle wich was infested ALOT by Z´s. Got a compass but no maps. But the compass is fine for me. Just need to remember some landmarks and roadsigns and i should be ok. ( i never was a big arma fan or played the mod. So the whole map is new territory for me and i think its a good way to learn my way around. )

Found what i call the "great alpher wastelands of north" and roamed them a bit.

Now i start to move more carefully. Zombies i know my way around now. Fireaxe is my friend. For now it hiking time and chill a bit in the woods before i head coastside again to hit the bigger citys.

Thats it for now: 

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/486685959301167517/2E8EB53FDF9C1B1B168E8A29D2DF5221CA33ADC1/

I am in dire need of some blood tho.( or saline infusion ) I eat everything i find right away. ( yes, appart from rotten banana i HAD TO eat on my second run just north ) And have some cans.

I hope to find some scavangers on the coast that might help. I be carefull, tho on the server i am on i only meet friendlys as of yet. Wish me luck !

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Has have anyone figured out how to attach a weapon flashlight to the M4? Do I need ductape or a special weaponrail or something?

Thanks for all the tips, they help a lot!

I haven't actually done it myself, so this is just what I've heard, but you need a special hand grip on the gun.  The word "tatical" got thrown around, but it for sure doesn't work with the stock plastic one.

Has have anyone figured out how to attach a weapon flashlight to the M4? Do I need ductape or a special weaponrail or something?

Thanks for all the tips, they help a lot!

Hi there,

I was also wondering how to do it. I have tried with duct tape and it didn't work. Maybe this will be able to do later on, when they will implement this feature. But for now, to attach flashlight to your M4, you will need M4 Handguard RIS. After you find one, simply drag flashlight into M4A1 slots, and you'll have it. And don't forget a battery.

Since M4 Handguard RIS has 4 rails, maybe you are/will be able to attach much more items.

marion-mic.jpg

Zombie chasing you and you only have fists? Punch it in the head to knock it out and it will give you enough time to run away

DayZ Standalone has a lot of complex and realistic systems that take time to learn. Don't get too frustrated, there is a learning curve. Part of the beauty of game- what keeps people coming back, is the sense of accomplishment when you get to the point where you do regularly survive in style.

Here are some survival points that I think are important and basic, but are easy to miss unless you are told.

1. Rifles and Semi-auto pistols don't just need cartridges- they also need a clip. Load the clip with bullets, load the clip in the gun. Drag accessories onto your weapon to use them. You can't add a scope if there is a carrying handle- take that off first.

2. Med kits and Ammo boxes hold more "slots" than they take up in the inventory, making them useful, but you can't put "other types" of things into them except healing supplies and ammo, respectively.

3. Use your quickslots on the bottom of the screen 1-10 for your weapons, canopener, bandages, water, compass, map.  You hit the number of the item you want in your hands, hit it again to put it away. On my keyboard it takes a firm press....you have to hold it, rather than tap it.

4. You have to shoulder/unshoulder items like weapons and compass with the space bar.

5. Right clicking aims weapons. If you fire guns in third person, you will be a bit off target- go first person for shooting at any distance.

6. Keep hydrated and fed. This is your real key to staying out of trouble. If you are hungry ad thirsty, Zeds can knock you out more easily, and getting sick is easier.

7. Don't drink from potentially polluted water sources. I don't know if the water purification tablets are actually functional yet or not, but water can make you sick from ponds.

8. Don't eat spoiled food. It will make you ill, and everything worse.

9. If you are sick or dying of thirst, DONT RUN everywhere. You will last a long time if you walk, but you will wear down and die quicker if you run everywhere.

10. Don't trust everyone like a fool, but don't automatically shoot everyone either. There is a narrow tightrope to walk, and you have to learn to spot people first, and give a shout or raise a hand at distance where there is more of a chance at not killing one another out of fear. Most bandits are fairly obvious- the majority of people just want to survive, and will behave neutrally if given advanced notice. (Well, maybe not the majority, but a lot will).

11. Look for "better" items that hold more stuff. Not all pants and shirts are created equally. There are cool ballistic vests that hold a ton, and that pistol holster gives you more slots in your main inventory.

12. Wear a helmet and Zeds won't known you out so easily.

13. The medical system is complex. Stuff like vitamins will help keep you from getting sick. Blood bags will kill you if the bood type in them does not match your own, but saline can be used safely to replenish you if you start going gray. Those bottles of disinfectant and alcohol are valuable, use them on your bandages to keep from getting an infection- and always remember to keep hydrated at all times to avoid getting sick.

14. Foods with water in them, like sardines, gives you a bit of hydration, whilst uncooked rice is liable to make you thirsty....the foods are fairly logically worked out this way, with spaghetti and beans giving you more substenance, but no hydration.

15. Remember, tremendous amounts of stuff are not in game yet, and we are basically happy little testers. Give the designers time to implement all the cool crafting/ camping stuff, weapons and ammo, and up the Zed numbers and AI. Eventually we will have cars that you can fix, be able to build bases, and generally have tons more to do. For now, we should be reporting bugs, experimenting with the system, and exploring the world.

• Like 1

One thing it's still not clear to me. When I'm "healthy" I also replenish blood? Because at the moment I'm healthy but I've lost a little of blood in a fight. I don't see "white" but I don't understand my blood level either.

you understand your blood well basically seeing the panorama in front of you.. you see poor color, almost black and white? you need some blood... you see very blur... you need lot of it.

you can achieve a better blood status, with the saline... but you need someone that do a saline transfusion to you....

• Like 1

One thing it's still not clear to me. When I'm "healthy" I also replenish blood? Because at the moment I'm healthy but I've lost a little of blood in a fight. I don't see "white" but I don't understand my blood level either.

taken from http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Blood

Blood Levels and Effects

Unlike in the DayZ mod, there is no indication of the actual blood values in standalone, so the following blood levels are assumed with explained symptoms.

• High - clear and well saturated vision.
  • Moderate - will see slightly less saturated colors, may experience blurry vision but may still see at far distances.
  • Low - May randomly fall unconscious, will see an obvious amount of de-saturation of colors, may experience blurry vision but with reduced ability to distinguish at short distances.
  • Severe - May easily and often fall in and out of consciousness, little to no saturation of colors, may experience significant amount of blurred vision such that distinguishing objects at more than 50m may be extremely difficult.

The article also sheds light on replenishing blood.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Guys, if i buy alpha version of DayZ via Steam, do i get automaticlly full version of this game when he release? :)

Yes.  You will have full access to the game during the alpha/beta and when it's officially released.

Can you play DayZ online with a friend?

On the server page, there is an option for friends which will show you what servers your Steam friends are playing on.  There is no built-in functionality for adding friends at the moment in DayZ.  It is done through Steam or the Steam overlay. 

Simply joining the same server your friends are on won't magically teleport you to them though.  You'll have to arrange a meet-up and leg it on your own.

you understand your blood well basically seeing the panorama in front of you.. you see poor color, almost black and white? you need some blood... you see very blur... you need lot of it.

you can achieve a better blood status, with the saline... but you need someone that do a saline transfusion to you....

This is actually false.  In SA, you actually have 2 "pools" that represent your well being.  Blood and Health.

Your blood level is represented as color saturation, and your health level is represented how blurry your screen is (need PPE enabled).  You can actually have 0 blood and still be alive (has been tested) but it's an empty health pool that will kill you.

The healthy and healing status are for the health pool.  You're healing when your health isn't full but is regenerating from being full up on food/water, and you're healthy when your health is full.  These statuses do not react to your blood level.  You can have 0 blood and still be healthy (has been tested).

Blood you can raise with sailine, bloodbags, regen, etc.  Health can ONLY be increased by regeneration.  This is why it's so important to be constantly well fed and drink plenty to maintain that healthy status.  It's also important to keep your blood level up as well because your health won't regenerate until you're blood is full.  That and you can be unconscious with a low enough blood level.

Watch this video for more info

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon
  • Like 3

Hi, i dont read the posts infront of mine But one important advice: avoid using any kind off light to avoid fast and much respawning.

Greetings Bandit:

Redim42

is there a printable version of the map?

There is actually a free app in the apple app store that is a interactive map.  It's quite good, you can zoom in/out, turn on/off landmarks etc.

It's called "Bean Coast - DayZ Map and Guide".

This is not for the standalone, and i never played the mod so I don't know how much is changed.

There is another for the standalone which is also free, but I haven't checked it out yet. It's called "DayZ Standalone Map - iZurvive"

Edited by Swurvy

There is actually a free app in the apple app store that is a interactive map.  It's quite good, you can zoom in/out, turn on/off landmarks etc.

It's called "Bean Coast - DayZ Map and Guide".

This is not for the standalone, and i never played the mod so I don't know how much is changed.

There is another for the standalone which is also free, but I haven't checked it out yet. It's called "DayZ Standalone Map - iZurvive"

I used to use the Bean Coast app for the mod, it's awesome but like you said has not been updated for DayZ retail yet.

The DayZ retail version of iZurvive requires iOS 7 or it just installs the mod version though, so if you're a peasant with an old iPad like me then you can't use it. :(

A beginner's tip that would've saved me if only I knew. If you get sepsis infection, use a disinfecting wipe, then apply bandage to the wound. If you don't have any and need time, try to find antibiotics. Otherwise you will die.

It's not implemented yet, I believe.

Last time I played the Moon was on my South West. Not sure if it's always there. I didn't have time to find the Pole Star so I had to find another solution to get around.

Other tip that helped me. Look at the map of Chernarus and try to memorize the big lines of it.

dayz-vehicles-spawns-(wiki).png

The vehicles are located at different spots obviously, unless the server is freshly spawned or the vehicle got destroyed. But try to remember the bigger towns and their location. It's necessary knowledge IMO.

Edited by Bernharde

To regain health, you need to be in a "healthy" state. to do this you need to eat and drink until you are full.

you can also use a saline bag, or a blood bag.

A blood bag requires a willing participant to take blood from though.

There was a bug where a saline bag would fill your health full, now it only fills it up a little.

To regain health, you need to be in a "healthy" state. to do this you need to eat and drink until you are full.

you can also use a saline bag, or a blood bag.

A blood bag requires a willing participant to take blood from though.

There was a bug where a saline bag would fill your health full, now it only fills it up a little.

Yes and no.  There is blood and health, saline and blood bags will refill blood, health can only be regained in a regenerative state AND your blood is full.

Yes and no.  There is blood and health, saline and blood bags will refill blood, health can only be regained in a regenerative state AND your blood is full.

Don't forget though that you can use pain killers and medician to stablise your health as you begin to regenerate. If you have pain killers and vitamins use them in conjunction with food and water as you regenerate and it will go faster, especially if you have taken a battering (not the cod type)! Don't over dose by the way!

Don't forget though that you can use pain killers and medician to stablise your health as you begin to regenerate. If you have pain killers and vitamins use them in conjunction with food and water as you regenerate and it will go faster, especially if you have taken a battering (not the cod type)! Don't over dose by the way!

Painkillers and vitamins currently aren't functional items when it comes to affecting your character.  You can interact with them and consume them, but they do nothing for you at this time.  They are merely placebos.

I think the most useful tip I've found was using the sun as a reference point for directions. It definitely speeds up my ability to find good loot areas after spawning or becoming disoriented.

Also how the heck do you use the compass? All I seem to be able to do is open and close the cover.

• Like 1

I think the most useful tip I've found was using the sun as a reference point for directions. It definitely speeds up my ability to find good loot areas after spawning or becoming disoriented.Also how the heck do you use the compass? All I seem to be able to do is open and close the cover.

Right click the compass and click "inspect" the picture that appears is actually oriented with your angle. But the picture is also not angled perfectly. The large arrow on the dial itself

Is north. The arrow on the lid is the direction you're facing. So before you ask after trying it no you can't use it to navigate while moving.

Also how the heck do you use the compass? All I seem to be able to do is open and close the cover.

Must be done in first person view. Fastest way is to drag compas to quick menu on the bottom of your screen (1-9-0). Then holding it in your hands, press space (action position). You'll see it pretty good in front of you. Job done.

You are gonna die, accept that and move on or go find another game. When you come back you return to the in-game world as a wholly new person starting from scratch, so don't get attached to your toon or any of their stuff.  Luckily you get to remember things.

Here are some things I have learned in DayZ that have helped me survive.

1.  If you are not armed with a weapon that takes a zombie down in 2 hits then run.  Two hit weapons include the splitting axe and the pitch fork. Use melee weapons to kill the infected, never shoot the infected since it attracts more and the one you just shot is like the cylon named Scar, it spawns knowing exactly where you are and is pissed.

2.  The infected tend to run in straight lines, this is handy on the coast, especially on dockyards and piers.  They will run them selves right off a dock into the water if you lead them right.  Also if you are being attacked by another player, bleeding and are pretty sure you won't win, run off the dock, swim out and drop your gear.  Makes it harder if not impossible for the asshole/attacker to loot you.  You can also just drop loot and hope they take it, but they may just be intent on kill you first.  One more thing, if you are being chased by a mob of infected, bleeding and can't stop to bandage yourself start dropping your gear on the road, seem you can't your dead toon but if your dropped the gear you can recover that.

3.  Fire axe is the best melee weapon right now, when you find one keep it in slot 1, it's, currently, the only one hit melee weapon on the infected you can get.  Paint it if you want, I don't really think it makes any difference, but it looks cooler in black than in green.

4.  Get a can opener as soon as you can, axes will open cans but you will lose a lot of food that way.  Because of this game I always have a real life can opener in my real life go bag now, I don't carry a can of peaches though (see #5)....

5.  Find food asap, always eat everything you find, except you should keep one can of peaches in reserve for the lean times.  Drink water whenever you find it, keep at least one canteen, drink from it only when you need to. 

6.  Never hang around anyplace too long and trust no one.  Avoiding people you don't know is the best thing to do if possible, if not either run if they have not seen you or kill them if they have and run your ass away.   You can loot but be quick if you must,  I advise against this because they may have a buddy in the area, there's plenty of loot around if you know where to look.  Until you know what you are doing only venture into villages and cities with extreme caution.

7.  There is a ship wreck on the coast north of Berezino, if you spawn in that area go there first and loot it, it is almost always infected free there, has some nice stuff usually and fresh water ponds close by.

8.  Remember what the houses you loot look like, some houses will have nothing but there are some that spawn the same types of things and are spread around the map.