Sign in to follow this  
SteelKnife

What's the deal with epoch.

to be honest, epoch is signaling the death of "dayz" and running around looking for empty soda cans, and such.

the writing is on the wall, privite hives are more popular then public, and they keep striping dayz of as50s and m107s. like all the power weapons would some how vanish..

whats the point of dayz? to look through a 225 km world for empty soda cans

whats the purpose of epoch? to build. to trade. it has a purpose, dayz does not.

you can close this thread now

Edited by piffkush

Epoch to me is for players who are bad losers. Don't like the idea of being killed and losing your gear? Build a big base with big indestructible black safes in it. Which takes me to my next point. Ugliness. I tried epoch, & in the middle of a field I stumbled over a dozen or so big black unbreakable safes. Absolutely killed the immersion aspect STONE DEAD. Epoch is just plain horrible on the eye, random walls and floors all over the map... Then there are the regulars on the epoch servers teaming up to kill noobs to boost their egos knowing if they get killed they can always run back and gear up in their safehouse. what a cop-out.

I have tried most of the mods, and the base building ones have the scummiest KOS players IMO. I have met many friendlies on Vanilla, but on Epoch the heroes are as bad as the bandits. For people who want build comfy houses that let nobody pass but their friends? play the sims-. That's what I preach.

ya because servers full of people who do nothing but camp on firestations to kill unarmed players are so much better.

ya because servers full of people who do nothing but camp on firestations to kill unarmed players are so much better.

well thats because stupid forgot to spawn them with a weapon.

Here is my reasoning as to why people like/play epoch a lot all of a sudden:  Once upon a time, a person with a large dayz audience named frankie decided to check out the Epoch mod. After he released his video on it, the mod went viral and people desperately tried to stalk him and noobs started playing the mod just because he played it, and the holy saint frankie worshippers started playing it.

• Like 1

Here is my reasoning as to why people like/play epoch a lot all of a sudden:  Once upon a time, a person with a large dayz audience named frankie decided to check out the Epoch mod. After he released his video on it, the mod went viral and people desperately tried to stalk him and noobs started playing the mod just because he played it, and the holy saint frankie worshippers started playing it.

wat? i bet most people who play epoch dont know who this guy is. i have never heard of him before.

Edited by hellcat420

I suppose that Epoch is more enjoyable if you are playing with people who possess limited imagination/sportsmanship. Epoch fills in the gaps with game mechanics while dayz relies more heavily upon player solidarity and honor to achieve the desired experience. Hopefully the tediousness of surviving in the SA will turn away all but the most dedicated

I suppose that Epoch is more enjoyable if you are playing with people who possess limited imagination/sportsmanship. Epoch fills in the gaps with game mechanics while dayz relies more heavily upon player solidarity and honor to achieve the desired experience. Hopefully the tediousness of surviving in the SA will turn away all but the most dedicated

haha honorable players in dayz? i seriously hope you are joking.

I see the Epoch hate is still strong. 

Honestly, vanilla Epoch is about as rough as Vanilla DayZ. The main difference is that if you score something like a HMMWV and manage to fix it up it won't be missing when you log out for 3 hours. Why? Because you will have cautiously driven that thing to a trader, traded it in, and ran with your newly gained currency. Then at some later date when you have managed to save up even more you will buy a locked one with a key and hope no one shoots the crap out of it, steals all the tires, and/or has found a lockpick kit and swipes it. 

We are all babies who can't handle loss eh? So, to build a simple wood structure of 4 walls, a roof, and a door. I will need 300 wood piles. This is for the simplest structure that requires me to loot nothing other than an Ax. That isn't including the workbench I'll have to assemble with is another 12 wood piles. We will assume I looted a tent and so don't need to build storage while doing this. 312 wood piles averaging about half a minute to chop down a tree and get 11-13 piles from it so 12 on average. There is 26 minutes just in chopping. Turning those into lumber requires an animation for each piece. 156 animations of what, 6 seconds each? Almost 16 minutes crafting just the lumber. Then we need to turn about 1/3 of that into plywood another animation so 10+ minutes rounding out the 16 from before. Now we turn those into 1/3 walls and 1/4 floors then into walls and roof, which is 23 more and a door which is 24 so 2 and a half more minutes. So 40 minutes just in animations, this is not including running from tree to tree and the inventory shuffling to get the right things where you need them to craft OR actually setting up the walls and floor which takes a few minutes each to get aligned right. 

So the fastest I could probably assemble a small little wooden structure would be about an hour and that is if I was racing to get it done quickly. Add in wandering zombies(and they don't just spawn near loot in Epoch) and having to double check my area for other players because chopping wood in Epoch requires having the hatchet IN HAND so about 26 minutes having no main gun in hand total, and you are easily talking an hour and a half of work.

At this point it still isn't locked so anyone can stroll inside. If we add in a RARE drop off zombies Combination Lock; I don't want to even figure out how long it would take to loot the ammo(or bandages and food if doing it hand to hand) to shoot enough of them for the rare drop; we now have a secure structure. Someone can wander up with a hatchet and chop through one of the walls in say, 10 minutes. 

So please tell me how tragic it was that someone raided your stash of canned food and soda, or the 50 beefsteaks you had that it took you all of 20 minutes to gather. Tell me how horrible it is that you lost your DMR (which doesn't exist in Epoch) because some guy came up on you while you were sniping at the NWAF. You didn't lose weeks and days of work(months if you have to run around and loot cinderblock) to some person who found a plane and crashed it into your base. 

Vanilla there is nothing to lose. Everything you have is borrowed. Some people like that. In Epoch you can point at something and go, "That is mine." and when it goes away you know you lost something. In fact the key in your inventory taunts you about the SUV that was shot up so much it blew up. Sure you got those bastards, but now you are on foot again and there is that key taunting you. 

Edited by Mercules

-snip-

Sounds very tedious and not fun at all. Who wants to chop wood all day... in a game...

Thanks for reinforcing my decision to stay very far away from that horrid mod.

Edited by Esolu
  • Like 1

Sounds very tedious and not fun at all. Who wants to chop wood all day... in a game...

Thanks for reinforcing my decision to stay very far away from that horrid mod.

Who wants to sit on a hill all day and wait for some helpless new spawn to try and grab some loot? 

No wait... I'll run to the NWAF and grab some more... no I have 10 DMR clips already and NVGs. Hmmmm... I guess I'll... um.... Gee I wish there was something to do other than try and pick a fight. 

Why people play epoch?

1) It adds things to do. Maybe your looking for a bit more gold to get your safe, or hunting down some supplies for building, or setting up a road block to ambush cars or maybe your building your first wooden shack. There's always things to do unlike in vanilla which is kill people and get gear. Admit there isin't much to do in vanilla anymore.

2) It adds progression. Unlike in vanilla when you die everything is lost here you can store your stuff when your offline and car keys help you keep your ar safe. They are by no means guaranteed safe but its fun to progress in the game.

3) Less KOS. Due to safe zones I have met 10x as many friendlies in epoch then in vanilla. Sure its not realistic but it works. Getting to see the same people over again builds up relationships and rolling with them later on is a blast.

Sure 80% of the people on this forum hate epoch (and you have all the reason to) but you are the loud minority, the silent majority is busy populating those epoch servers. Which is why it surpassed the vanilla servers. 

Due to safe zones I have met 10x as many friendlies in epoch then in vanilla. Sure its not realistic but it works. Getting to see the same people over again builds up relationships and rolling with them later on is a blast.

I prefer to play on servers that haven't added safe zones, but even so bases are not easily built and maintained by a single person so many people end up finding others they like playing with and working with them. 

well not everyone can handle losing days of work when a group of bandits stumble on their base, take all of their stuff and destroy everything.

Well this conversation is done. I am going to go and stay in vanilla DayZ, Because all of this information has taught me this so far. It takes hard work to play DayZ and Epoch by the hours. There are safes and parts of buildings that can be spammed if some could get enough supplies. The traders can help someone trade their wepons for food. Over all vanilla DayZ is like the Dark ages, the plague struck. Epoch is almost in the future when people have begun to understand, we have a problem now we have to try to win against the undead and now there are communitys that trade with others. I just feel that base building is just not for me. A safe mabey to put medical supplies. All and all I want to hold on to the early state of DayZ for now.

• Like 1

Well this conversation is done. I am going to go and stay in vanilla DayZ, Because all of this information has taught me this so far. It takes hard work to play DayZ and Epoch by the hours. There are safes and parts of buildings that can be spammed if some could get enough supplies. The traders can help someone trade their wepons for food. Over all vanilla DayZ is like the Dark ages, the plague struck. Epoch is almost in the future when people have begun to understand, we have a problem now we have to try to win against the undead and now there are communitys that trade with others. I just feel that base building is just not for me. A safe mabey to put medical supplies. All and all I want to hold on to the early state of DayZ for now.

Entirerly reasonable choice and well thought out.