Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

[SA] Wall 'press'

I'm suggesting either a button press, or a natural tendancy for a character standing/kneeling close to a wall to 'press' to it.

right now, even standing besides a wall is kind of obtusive. The outline of your character sticks out like a sore thumb. But if we had the ability to press against the wall, we could at least break up the outline of our character against the wall itself so that a cursory glance might not notice us. It'd be nice if this worked against trees/rocks etc, too.

Especially awesome if it lowered our detectability by zombies.

It'd be good for fightfights; flattening yourself against a wall for cover so that even if the wall isn't at the best angle you still have a decent amount of protection/less sticking out to get shot.

It'd be awesome to be creeping through a village and then stopping with your back against a wall to wait tersely while a zombie lumbers past.

And if it was coded right, we could even use it to 'peek' around corners in first person. Exposing only our head but giving us a glance of what's around the corner.

No wall peeking, just wall pressing. Wall peeking just reminds me of FPS too much.

Edited by TheRedScare

The 'lean' feature (assuming they haven't removed it) would cover the peeking side of things anyway - and as Enforcer pointed out, pressing yourself against a wall with a giant-ass backpack on isn't going to be particularly easy or practical. :p

It's one of those things that I'd file under 'sure, nice if it happened' but I'm not actually all that excited about seeing, and there's almost literally hundreds of things I'd want to see in the game before it.

This is something that's seen like in the game Outlast(Horror).

This way, it could be helpful instead of leaning half your body out of cover if you wouldn't expose yourself to a zombie or a firefight.

Would definitely like to see this aspect in DayZ in which could be great for first person only servers and makes sneaking around much easier. Along with things like hding under beds ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GPf3MdVOKI

Edited by TIC321

Difficult with a coyote backpack and an AS50 in your hand...

True, true. Would be a decent reason to leave a backpack behind, yeah?

Carry everything you can in your pockets, forgo the backpack for extra stealth!

One major problem is also clipping...you all know it from the zeds attacking through walls you can also hit the model through walls and unfortunately a backpack is part of the body. Imagine a backpack sticking and sliding over the other side of the wall and a new player on that side making a dumb face not realizing what it is and reporting a bug here in the forum :lol:

Edited by Enforcer