Sign in to follow this  
dirge1984

Is it worth starting now?

Hi, I'm interested in playing Day Z, but as the topic says... is it worth starting now? or wait (how ever long it might be) for Day Z stand alone?
 Thank you in advance.

I forgot to mention that I don't own Arma II. I have tried the demo and it works fine. There is a sale and it costs only about £9.

Might as well get started-if you haven't played Arma before it will take some getting used to the controls and the game mechanics. Besides, if the SA sucks the mods won't be going anywhere any time soon. I would play some Arma missions to work out your controls and stuff before you get into Dayz. There isn't much time to get used to the controls in the game so practising outside the game is good for getting better and will pay off when you play Dayz. Nothing is more fun than seeing a player intent on killing you and when you swing your weapon up it feels like a ten foot log that you can't control. Good luck .

EDIT-I see you just posted you only have the demo-I'd buy the full version so you can play other mods if you still like the game after trying it.

Edited by Merc13
  • Like 1

I think it's worth it unless your budget is llimited. DayZ mod is great. Also we don't know when exactly the SA will be released. It seems that it's not far off, but it's not the first time.

It's never too late.

Unless she's.... you know..... that.

awesome, thanks for the replies peeps. I have brought it and am now awaiting the download. :lol:

Arma2 is a great game and OA is a awsome dlc.

dayz mod is a awsome free mod that you can get for arma2.

Edited by meat pie

Yes and No.

Yes because

• Arma's vanilla campaign, though slow at first, is very fun, even without DayZ
  • Arma has some fun realism mods and still-strong servers/communities. Joining a good one can be tough, however
  • Operation Arrowhead also has an okay campaign. If the sale includes all DLC, PMC has an interesting one
  • The mod will prepare you for the Standalone
  • If you like the milsim genre and you purchase ArmA 3 (which will have a zombie mod of its own soon), you can import ArmA 2/Operation Arrowhead/BAF/PMC/Cz Republic (is that all the DLC?) into A3

No because

• The mod is absolutely cluttered with fan-mods that even further modify the game, often in perverse and profane ways adding in rediculous content you'll (hopefully?) never see in the SA (Standalone)
  • If you are only interested in DayZ, and not the Milsim genre, ArmA won't offer you much with the SA (hopefully) right around the corner
  • With ArmA 3 being out, ArmA 2 won't see any new (official) content, so once the game gets stale, there's nothing to revitalize it for you

No because

• The mod is absolutely cluttered with fan-mods that even further modify the game, often in perverse and profane ways adding in rediculous content you'll (hopefully?) never see in the SA (Standalone)

Which are all perfectly avoided by selecting the one you want from the drop down in DayZ commander.

• If you are only interested in DayZ, and not the Milsim genre, ArmA won't offer you much with the SA (hopefully) right around the corner

The SA has been "around the corner" for ages. It's never too late to try out a milsim.

• With ArmA 3 being out, ArmA 2 won't see any new (official) content, so once the game gets stale, there's nothing to revitalize it for you

Apart from the billions of mods and tweaks already out.

I agree with the rest.

I like multiple colours.

• Like 1

I just started about a week ago and I'm having fun. Bought Arma on a Steam sale. I'm glad I started now to experience the original. No mods yet, just vanila. I have learned to die in so many ways!

Edited by OldHorse

I just started about a week ago and I'm having fun. Bought Arma on a Steam sale. I'm glad I started now to experience the original. No mods yet, just vanila. I have learned to die in so many ways!

Dying is learning!

Back in the 'good old days' before some of the crazier bugs were squashed, I saw people killed by stepping on rocks, launched 200ft in the air by running along the harbour wall, and breaking both their legs trying to put on a ghillie suit. :p

^ you forgot about driving an ATV over a bridge. Good times indeed.

I agree with the rest.

I like multiple colours.

Whatever floats your boat...

Anyway other than VTE, there's really nothing... exciting in the mod world for Arma 2. But hey, take a crack at it if you'd like.

And DayZ Commander? Just... just no. It still applies, though; there's a slowly decreasing availability of vanilla players.

I wanted to add that the standalone will be an alpha release, it might contain many game breaking bugs on release. The mod, while still not perfect, has been in constant development for over a year now, so it's very playable and has already won over a million or so people. It's well worth the sale price of arma.