Xianyu

[SA]Zombies attracted to dead bodies

I don't think this has been suggested before as a stand alone idea.

The basic premise is: zombies eat dead bodies.

We've got persistent zombies in the standalone. A zombie within a certain distance could be coded to have a certain chance of moving to the dead body and starting to eat it.

This way, there are two major advantages: No more flies sound for dead body locations. Ugh, that's so annoying. You die and two seconds later, flies everywhere. Now, you could

The second advantage is the 'permadeath' mentality. Permadeath doesn't exist in the mod, not really. Because if you die, your gear is still in the world. Just run back there and get it. Your 'level' is your gear and you can just get your 'level' back by finding your body.

But if zombies ate bodies... To loot your body, you'd first need to dispose of the zombies eating it. Pretty damn hard if you don't have a weapon. No running up to your body and taking everything back after you die. And given that zombies are eating the corpse, most of the items on the body would have 'infection' levels attached to them. Clothes would be ripped. Items would be scattered, etc etc.

And after an hour or so of being eaten, the body could be 'consumed' and removed from the world!

And thirdly, zombies eating bodies could be 'content'. As in, even if they see you, they're probably not going to bother attacking you, because even if you're a brain-dead, infected fuckwit, you've got a feast in front of you, then you don't need to chase food to continue eating. Of course, if you get too close, they'd lumber up and try to eat you. No free 'axe murdering'!

It also adds some avenues for some pretty nasty tactics. For instance, executing someone near zombies and waiting for them to start eating the body, leaving you free to search the houses unhindered...

• Like 11

awsome and after a firefight it would make looting scary because zombies are coming for the noise and the body

I like the ideas introduced - they're actually pretty nicely thought out and you've fleshed them out (no pun intended) well, but I'm not 100% sure if it fits in with the type of zombies in DayZ. I've always seen them as the '28 days later' kind that are just incredibly violent and kill just because that's what they're primally wired to do rather than kill for food.

If that's not the case then I'd be all for this.

• Like 1

I had suggested this before but relates to the mod but I can see this being carried onto the Standalone: (Link here if you want to review it)

This is a great idea other than that. 

Yeah, I've seen one or two threads about zombies/animals destroying bodies, but anyway it is a good idea. And zombies being too busy eating to care about people around would also be good, like OP stated, one could give zeds some food and go around looting at the meantime.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen one or two threads about zombies/animals destroying bodies, but anyway it is a good idea. And zombies being too busy eating to care about people around would also be good, like OP stated, one could give zeds some food and go around looting at the meantime.

Like in the walking dead when Shane shot that guy to escape.

hey, that is really good.

Could help reduce KOS

1. Tell zombie AI if they spot dead player in vicinity (really close, e.g. 5 meters or so) they start eating it

2. Have: Number of zombies eating player * variable item degredation

3. Make it random which items are damaged (otherwise it looks stupid)

--> Much more difficult to kill player and actually profit from it

--> While item degredation through bullets is nice, it becomes unrealistic if its too much, E,g., you shoot someone and half his gear is destroyed. With this system, you rely less on degredation by bullets, but you have realistic mechanic why items gets destroyed.

Like, really like :D

I like the ideas introduced - they're actually pretty nicely thought out and you've fleshed them out (no pun intended) well, but I'm not 100% sure if it fits in with the type of zombies in DayZ. I've always seen them as the '28 days later' kind that are just incredibly violent and kill just because that's what they're primally wired to do rather than kill for food.

If that's not the case then I'd be all for this.

Well, Zombies kinda tear dead or unconcious players apart in DayZ mod already

Great idea, it solves imersion issues that arise from respawning better then the actual system that is now in place, well done ;)

On the subject of infected, not actual zs, rabid dogs have been found to play with their kill, if given the opportunity, (until the police arrived).

I really like this idea because it makes your life more valuable because you can't just go up run and get your gear.

You have some cool ideas for zombies and stuff. I would like to contribute an idea, myself. Here it is: Zombies could have a major hunger that gets bigger after amounts of time. Now, how think it should work is the zombie doesn't necessarily get faster or stronger, he just gets more desperate to eat, increasing the chances of it eating a nearby body. The zombie might also be louder, and have less of a chance to attack a nearby survivor while eating a body, since it wants to eat so bad. Okay, so this idea may sound stupid to you, but I just wanted to contribute here.  :D

Very interesting, well done ;) . Don't know if it is technically feasible, but it would spice up the "environmental hazards". If zs are hungry, they might moan louder too and thus attract more zs, that would end up creating a horde?

YES! This is a great idea, so you can ruin someones base with corpses, no, but its a good idea and i hope it will be in the standalone.

I totally agree with you Xianyu, but this:

The second advantage is the 'permadeath' mentality. Permadeath doesn't exist in the mod, not really. Because if you die, your gear is still in the world. Just run back there and get it. Your 'level' is your gear and you can just get your 'level' back by finding your body.

F*ck that, man. I hate the idea of 'level' being the f*cking gear. I want to fear about my character and not about the gear I carry. Look at Project Zomboid. There I have a character that I care about. Every weapon I carry, everything I do is simply to survive.

In DayZ it is the other way around. I survive to carry the cool stuff, I survive to have a good weapon, I survive to do whatever I want and in the end I survive to shoot other people. Simple as that. This is no survival game, not even close. The main goal of DayZ was never survival, I never actually cared about that my character survives. I always cared about my gear. Not losing it. This was the important part.

And I say f*ck that. I hate it and I know that Dean hates it too. He told us he would do something about it, but I still haven't seen anything. He told us it would be very important to add a real value to the character. But where do you see that in the SA? In my opinion that should be one of the things they should fix even before the performance issues, because it is such a elementary core feature.

"Just run back there and get it." I want that thought to not even occur. Because in a real survival scenario you don't carry food and clothes because you like it. You carry it to survive, because your life is very valuable to you. But in DayZ a fresh spawn is just as valuable as a veteran. There is simply NOTHING that differs them. I don't see how you can call this game a survive game, when it is about everything but your life.

• Like 2

It would be cool that if your stuff was left for say 5 minutes unattended (or no human within 10m to drive off the zombies), the zombies would chew and wreck your stuff. Eat food, Chew backpacks. That kinda stuff. That would add to the realism. Especially with the fact that your stuff will get wrecked at some point. By zombies or just erosion. Y'know. Keep that drive to maybe need to maintain your gun and keep ammo out of water. And you will need to replace watches and maps after a while. That'd be a really cool function and would keep people heading to the cites to get supplies that they otherwise, can't get elsewhere.

That'd be cool if it was ever added.