Sign in to follow this  
jamestrendall

Epoch running badly without maxing my system

Hi,

So i have been trying to play Epoch recently and i'm struggling to gain anything more then 20fps, It seems upon a server restart i run at 20fps but during the time playing it drops down to 10fps regardless of settings.

I have been watching my CPU and GPU usage and both of them rarely hit above 40% usage. I have done every hint and trick online, eg: arma.cfg, start up para's, over clocked, unparked cpu, etc....

On any other mod i run flawlessly at 60fps but for some reason Epoch (Tried at least 7 different servers) and i can never get above 20. Unsure if its just the mod or if something is broke on my system. Its really starting to bug me that i cant max out my CPU or my GPU performance anywhere tho. Is there anyway to force the game to run at 100% on either my GPU or CPU

Any help from Epoch players would be greatly appreciated system specs below,

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.4 - 4.4Ghz (Set up with CCC to run slower when not performing heavy tasks i turn this off when gaming so its running at 4.4Ghz)

Asus HD7770 2Gb Gddr5  GPU Clock 1250MHz, Mem Clock 5000MHz

Corsair Vengance Ram 16Gb OC @ 1600MHz

Mobo MSI 870A G54 (Rubbish mobo but it cost me £0.99 with postage)

PSU Corsair 1200i (Ready for Crossfire 2x AMD 290x)

I'd say its server side performance problems causing your frame lag .. epoch servers(and others for that matter) can get bad if massive bases are built, it isn't restarted often, or if it just isn't hosted on a machine up to par.

**Is this all epoch servers or just this one in particular?

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

I'd say its server side performance problems causing your frame lag .. epoch servers(and others for that matter) can get bad if massive bases are built, it isn't restarted often, or if it just isn't hosted on a machine up to par.

It seems to be all of them its just Epoch the mod itself is terrible for me. Dont get me wrong i love playing it because i love being able to build my own creations but the frame rate is killing it for me.

I have tried about 7 different servers and they all seem to be around the same 20fps. The thing that gets me tho is why dosnt the mod push for more performance from my system is it starts to struggle. Im sure i have done something wrong since other people in the servers seem to run better FPS then i do.

Edit: Messed up the qoute sorry

Edited by JamesTrendall

Hmm I have the same problem when I am on the coast. Once I get a bit north I have no problems anymore. Seems as though every Epoch server lags for me on the coast.

I get >60 FPS on any vanilla servers, but I have a problem getting close to 20-25 FPS on any Epoch-Server. That's the bane of Epoch. There's nothing you can do about that.

• Like 1

Hmm I have the same problem when I am on the coast. Once I get a bit north I have no problems anymore. Seems as though every Epoch server lags for me on the coast.

Yeah thats the same East side spawn im ok running at 20 fps drops down to 15 over time but the further up north seems to be smoother for me.

I get >60 FPS on any vanilla servers, but I have a problem getting close to 20-25 FPS on any Epoch-Server. That's the bane of Epoch. There's nothing you can do about that.

Exactly the same for me vanilla or pretty much any other mod im fine with but Epoch... I guess Epoch could grow in success if they spoke to DayZero (I think its called) and tried to tidy up the DB to help FPS for everyone. I just love the "Rust" style building.

I guess i will try to power on through and maybe find a way on the BI forums to see if i can force Arma to draw more CPU power instead of the 28% its currently using.

I need to get a new mobo to see if thats causing a bottleneck but apart from that i cant see anything slowing down my system right now. 

I'd say this guy is probably right. The way Epoch works means you need to find a server that is really well adminned (not jsut some guy who fancied having a  Day Z server - they really need to be on the ball). Also Epoch servers must be restarted every 2 hours because of the extra content they have in. Vanilla and other mods might be able to get away with 4-6 hour restarts but Epoch on a populated server will not run smoothly unless it's restarted every 2 hours. 

I'd recommend you try out some of the top 200 servers listed at game x.  Some of the best Epoch servers I'd say are the Moustache gaming servers. They are really well administrated and dont lag! You do need your own launcher but it's because they have some excellent improvements and additions to the game and you can carry your gear across all of their pubic servers. 

Link

http://mustygaming.com/wp/

• Like 2

all of their pubic servers. 

I mean, yeah. We're into facial hair. But I have yet to hear from the fact that we have those sorts of servers.  :P

• Like 1

lol yea you just got to watch out for them asking you to stroke their moustaches  on their PUBIC servers ;)

• Like 1