Sign in to follow this  
Ozelot (DayZ)

Why do people cry so much when they presume on my mercy?

Maybe you wouldnt have killed the dude but he had no way of knowing that. 90% of of the other players would have regardless. Thats the facts we have to deal with in DayZ. In his mind his only chance was to run.

He had no way of knowing he would live if he stayed still. I mean when has anyone seen someone with a gun pointed at them, stayed still and lived? Not often.

Say you were going to shot him no matter what (like most people). His only chance would be to run.

THis dude had no way of knowing you were the one in one-million person who wouldnt shoot him if he stayed still.

I have repeatedly stood completely still when someone was staring down me with a weapon and I had nothing. Guess what happened? More often than not I was not shot, and let go.

There is a legitimate psychological predicate that if you are dealing with someone who is going to shoot you anyway, it will not make a difference. But if you are dealing with someone who is less likely to shoot you, what condition do you think they will fire? When you run, or when you stay still?

Chance of getting shot if you run = 100%

Chance of not getting shot if you stay = 90% (According to you)

Which has the better chance of survival?

The reason for this is very simple actually. If you stay still it indicates you are willing to cooperate. If you got shot after running away in someone's line of sight, sorry but it's your fault. You should have stayed still.

It's sad folks are so foolish as not to recognize this simple survival rule. but if they want to die bloodied and screaming, it's their choice. Just don't cry like a babby and blame the 'mean ol' bandit' for your foolishness.

Edited by Ozelot

I have repeatedly stood completely still when someone was staring down me with a weapon and I had nothing. Guess what happened? More often than not I was not shot, and let go.

There is a legitimate psychological predicate that if you are dealing with someone who is going to shoot you anyway, it will not make a difference. But if you are dealing with someone who is less likely to shoot you, what condition do you think they will fire? When you run, or when you stay still?

Chance of getting shot if you run = 100%

Chance of not getting shot if you stay = 90% (According to you)

Which has the better chance of survival?

The reason for this is very simple actually. If you stay still it indicates you are willing to cooperate. If you got shot after running away in someone's line of sight, sorry but it's your fault. You should have stayed still.

It's sad folks are so foolish as not to recognize this simple survival rule. but if they want to die bloodied and screaming, it's their choice. Just don't cry like a babby and blame the 'mean ol' bandit' for your foolishness.

I dont think running is going to have much to do with whether or not someone is going to shoot an unarmed player or not.

This reminds me of one time I was in Cherno Firestation totally unarmed looking for loot. Just spawned in. As I was walking up the steps, checking corners and making sure I was staying out of sight lines I seen an AKM on the ground. Right as I noticed a dude who I had no idea was behind me bend over and pick up the gun. I stopped right in my steps knowing if dude wanted to kill me he could. He stood and looked at me for a second and shoot me in the head. I remember similar incidents in which I look back on and think "I should have at least tried to run". But I cant remember one time in which I seen someone while unarmed and they didnt shoot me unless they were totally unarmed as well.

If your unarmed and you run and they shoot you then they likely were going to shoot you anyway. Ive had many people see me while they were unarmed and I didnt shoot. Of course I moved position still.

Chance of getting away if you run or them deciding not to shoot= 30-40% (even better depending on where you are)

Chance of the person shooting you if you just stand there unarmed= 90-95%

Im just saying dude went with his best option in his mind and the best option available considering how most people play this game. You cant blame him for running.

Edited by electricfuneral
  • Like 2

Regardless of what the victim does, there's no excuse for whining about it like a bitch afterwards.

• Like 1

Regardless of what the victim does, there's no excuse for whining about it like a bitch afterwards.

I dont think thats in doubt.

The disscussion as of now is:

1) If you are unarmed and see and an armed player looking at you do you run or stay still?

2) Does it make a difference if you run or stay still?

3) And what is your overall best option?

Outrageous

How did you announce your intentions? 

I mean you snuck up on someone, did you say anything?

like BOO! ?

Edited by RogueNZ
  • Like 1

Your conclusions about the psychology of others are pretty outrageous. If you know that people are just scared, why do you validate their fears by shooting them in the back when they run away? Why not give chase and try using direct chat to talk to that person like a decent human being? You know, most people consider stalking a serious breech in "etiquette," and yet you fully admit to doing it. When you are stalking a person, they don't know what your intentions are. Therefore, it's fucking logical to assume that your intentions are malicious, because they've gotten used to people like you practicing your malicious intent, and generally dying in the process. Way to be a part of the problem, idiot.

Furthermore, your examples of not being shot while unarmed are completely biased. I've experienced a whole range of abuse and goodness whilst unarmed. It proves nothing about the next interaction with a player that I will encounter. That's called an assumption. You claim people get killed by you because of their assumptions, when in fact it's clearly quite the opposite; you kill people because of your own assumptions. There's nothing more to it. You assume people will act a certain way, and when they don't comply, you shoot them. If they do meet your assumptions, you shoot them anyway. Glad the game could stroke your damn ego so well.

Basically, I frequently give people a chance.

The other day I followed an unarmed person to a small spot where he was hiding, he turned and finally saw me and immediately turned and tried to run away from me: He lost his life for this little act.

Need I say more?

• Like 7

Your conclusions about the psychology of others are pretty outrageous. If you know that people are just scared, why do you validate their fears by shooting them in the back when they run away? Why not give chase and try using direct chat to talk to that person like a decent human being? You know, most people consider stalking a serious breech in "etiquette," and yet you fully admit to doing it. When you are stalking a person, they don't know what your intentions are. Therefore, it's fucking logical to assume that your intentions are malicious, because they've gotten used to people like you practicing your malicious intent, and generally dying in the process. Way to be a part of the problem, idiot.

Furthermore, your examples of not being shot while unarmed are completely biased. I've experienced a whole range of abuse and goodness whilst unarmed. It proves nothing about the next interaction with a player that I will encounter. That's called an assumption. You claim people get killed by you because of their assumptions, when in fact it's clearly quite the opposite; you kill people because of your own assumptions. There's nothing more to it. You assume people will act a certain way, and when they don't comply, you shoot them. If they do meet your assumptions, you shoot them anyway. Glad the game could stroke your damn ego so well.

Need I say more?

I never said I was a 'decent human being' (whatever that means.) So many assumptions lately!

I'm the one with the gun, so I decide what is etiquette and what isn't. If I'm giving you a chance to live and walk away, than that's more than anyone deserves.

Edited by Ozelot

I'm the one with the gun, so I decide what is etiquette and what isn't. If I'm giving you a chance to live and walk away, than that's more than anyone deserves.

BRTky.jpg?1321408042

• Like 2

Then there is the vast majority of the mods population that pop you on sight. So walking up, waving, and being all "Salutations, here I am!" is the complete opposite of what you should do. These days, its you should run and hide, or stand your ground and fight. SOZ, but I disagree with this post. Not entirely! But mostly

BRTky.jpg?1321408042

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Then there is the vast majority of the mods population that pop you on sight. So walking up, waving, and being all "Salutations, here I am!" is the complete opposite of what you should do. These days, its you should run and hide, or stand your ground and fight. SOZ, but I disagree with this post. Not entirely! But mostly

If you run from me, I'm just going to shoot, and you're going to die. I don't trust people who run away or make sudden moves. It means they plan on doing whatever they want.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

If you run from me, I'm just going to shoot, and you're going to die. I don't trust people who run away or make sudden moves. It means they plan on doing whatever they want.

I think its bad decision to trust someone any more or less just because they run or stay still. Thinking like that is what will get you killed.

Making assumptions like this will get you killed. I give eveyone the same amount of trust.

I see what your saying, if the dude would have stayed still and let you control the situation you wouldnt have shot him. But dude had no way of knowing that without you speaking.

Its an unfair statement to say he was stupid and made a bad decision.

Its a fair statement to say he made the best decision he could in the given situation.

Its also a fair statement to say he was unlucky he ran into someone less hesitant to shoot and is a good shot.

Personally, I wouldnt have shot him. Whether he runs or not I assume he will shoot me in the back of the head if he has the chance, even if im talking to him. If he runs or not while unarmed isnt going to make a difference.

And running doesnt mean they are going to do whatever they want. Im sure doing what they want doesnt include being unarmed in someones sight line. No, they are literally just trying to get out of the situation alive. If there was a DMR at his feet hes not gonna do what he wants and pick it up, hes getting the f outta there.

With all this being said I understand your decision and even the reasoning behind it. I dont neccessrily agree with it because you didnt speak to him but I see why you did it.

What I dont understand is how you could possibly blame this dude for trying to get the f outta there and run as fast as he could.

Im the type of player that you could walk right by fully armed in a bandit skin and as long as your no threat to me or anyone else you will never know im there. I would give you half my gear. Im the exact type of player you want to run into if your friendly. And I can tell you in that situation im trying to get the F outta there and ask questions later. The very last thing I would do is stay still and give you a free shot. That is literally the worste possible decision to make.

Once again I see why you shot. But I dont see how you could possibly blame him for his decision to run.

• Like 1

Why do people cry so much when they presume on my mercy?

because they are too weak emotionally to cope with anything other than that false artifially generated sense of success provided for them since birth by among other sources the media, their parents and more importantly dumbed down easy to be good at games.

dayz punishes the weak

• Like 1

because they are too weak emotionally to cope with anything other than that false artifially generated sense of success provided for them since birth by among other sources the media, their parents and more importantly dumbed down easy to be good at games.

dayz punishes the weak

Not sure if serious...

I say we all get together and do a good old fashioned manhunt for Ozelot. You know, just to see what he's made of. Who's in?

LMAO, the whole forum hunting for Ozelot.

What server you on Ozelot?

I say we all get together and do a good old fashioned manhunt for Ozelot. You know, just to see what he's made of. Who's in?

I'll take you all with a revolver and twelve shots.

One for every two heads.

I don't understand why OP, if he's such a stone cold killer, has apparently lost his patience for player whining and crying. I thought you bandits "drank the tears" or whatever?

So survivors don't understand your labyrinthine rules of etiquette? What do you care either way? Your goal is to kill other dudes, and that is fine, no one really cares what are your motivations. We're all just looking to put you down before you put us down.

It doesn't matter whether this unarmed runner under discussion did the right thing or not by running instead of standing still. Trust me if there was any chance he could turn the tables on you I'm sure he would. He was probably trying to run someplace, anyplace to find a gun and come back and find you and try to kill you. And if he stood still? That just means he was gonna try the other route and guile you into some mistake by which he might, for example, take a gun out of your backpack and shoot you.

I don't believe there's a clear line between bandit and survivor. Most agree that we all fall somewhere in the middle. There's unique context to every engagement. Some say, "I don't shoot unarmed players". Well what about an unarmed player 10 feet from entering a military barracks? Can there be any doubt he will be armed shortly? Is it really wise, considering it's only now a matter of time, to wait until he reemerges from the barracks to kill him based on some silly honor system you've decided on to only kill 'armed' players? No, of course not. You shoot that guy before he enters the barracks. Why unnecessarily increase your own risk? 

I find it laughable how 'bandits' concoct all these absurd rules of engagement as if that gives them justification for their actions. If your heart is troubled by what you do in a video game, then stop!

I don't think OP should even give a second thought to shooting an unarmed player in the back. I guarantee that player doesn't care; poor guy has probably been shot in the back a hundred times just like all the rest of us. If he does whine about it, then that simply means he's a new player, that's all.

• Like 1

There's unique context to every engagement. Some say, "I don't shoot unarmed players". Well what about an unarmed player 10 feet from entering a military barracks? 

Or you could disengage and get away from the area. If you worked hard to get to the barracks you can tell him not to move and any more towards the barracks and a gun will be considered a hostile action. Move into the barracks before them or behind them and if they do go for a gun shoot them. Of course if you say nothing then he is probably going to assume you are going to shoot him and make his best move which is probably try and find a gun in the barracks. 

I'll take you all with a revolver and twelve shots.

One for every two heads.

and where sir, might you and your revolver be found?

I feel that OP has a motive. To survive and eliminate threats. To add to this he can try to give mercy to those who are not armed or have small wepons. I'm conflicted between the rights and wrongs, giving other players a chance to survive is great. But the way you are doing it could be seen as not the best way to have mercy on another. Now guns do not have mouths, they can't say if you move I will shoot you. People are going to think you are going to shoot them right off the bat because past expirences. Using your voice is the best way to tell or demand someone to do something. How I, as a hero talk to others is by introducing myself (through voice chat direct) and showing them I am not a stonewall that will kill if you show any threats at me. To show your self as a bandit can be much more difficult, people will know that you have killed a man. Unjustly or not, you have killed people. As a hero you can have killed others but they feel safer around one like us. Again the voice can be your best tool and wepon. Speaking first can create the setting to let the other person know, " I see you, if you move I will kill you." That will give them a 50/50 choice that they can run and risk dieing, or stay and let you do what you want with them until they can leave. The only rules there are at first glance of a bandit is: Get ready to hide/run, or fight that person. I have never had the urge to make freinds with other bandits unless I am also a bandit. Pretty much what I am trying to say is, tell them what you are going to do if they do anything and then make your demands. After that it is up to you what you want to do, you have the advantage over them.

I have to go with the OP in this, as veteran players, we have unspoken rules we live by.  A perfect example happened to me just the other day.

I was east of Klen hunting rabbits in the woods.  Had just lined up a shot when the rabbit bolted.  I knew I had not scared it, meaning another player must have.  Quick scan and I spot him.  A ghili player with a sniper on his back and pistol in hand.  Tho I am not in cover, I feel sure he has not noticed me yet as I too am in a ghili.  If I move tho, he is sure to see me.  I newer player would just take the shot, call it fate, and be done with it.  I did not!  I kept my rifle trained on him, following his movement.  I do not call out as it might startle him.  As he gets closer, he finally looks right at me!  Had he stopped, or tried to turn for cover, I would have to kill him.  He did the smart thing, he kept running, just changing course enough to not come to close.  After passing me, he looked back twice before LOS was broken.  As soon as he was out of sight, I headed fast in the direction he had come from. 

I did not need to say anything, he knew if he did anything wrong, he would die.  Anytime you see someone with a gun trained on you, and they have not shot, keep doing exactly what you were doing.  Do not run toward them but do not run away.  Do not speak unless spoken too.  If you are moving, keep moving at the same pace.  If you are stopped, do not move.  Do not run for the closest cover.  Those two things will get you killed.  Remain calm and let them feel safe.  If after a few seconds, they are not backin away or talking, then and only then, slowly move off toward a ridge or something else to break line of sight.  Going for cover is a sign you are getting ready to fight.  Running off trying to break LOS on the nearest object is a sign you are getting ready for a fight.

• Like 1

Edit: Erased everything. Just nvm he won't get it anyways

Edited by RabidDiabetic

I have to go with the OP in this, as veteran players, we have unspoken rules we live by.  A perfect example happened to me just the other day.

-snip-

It's impossible to know how long you've been watched if you spot someone looking down their sights at you. By your logic, if I'm walking along and turn my head to see a sniper aiming at me, I should remain calm and assume he isn't going to shoot me since he hasn't shot yet. That's moronic if you ask me.

There was no unspoken agreement there, to him he probably decided "This guy's aiming at me, better keep on the move." He wasn't thinking that you didn't have any intentions of killing him. He'd have to stop anyway to grab his rifle if he wanted to fight, which he knows would have gotten him killed. Best thing is to just keep on the move.

EDIT: And who hunts rabbits?

Edited by Diggydug

I was east of Klen hunting rabbits in the woods.  Had just lined up a shot when the rabbit bolted.  I knew I had not scared it, meaning another player must have.  Quick scan and I spot him.  A ghili player with a sniper on his back and pistol in hand.  Tho I am not in cover, I feel sure he has not noticed me yet as I too am in a ghili.  If I move tho, he is sure to see me.  I newer player would just take the shot, call it fate, and be done with it.  I did not!  I kept my rifle trained on him, following his movement.  I do not call out as it might startle him.  As he gets closer, he finally looks right at me!  Had he stopped, or tried to turn for cover, I would have to kill him.  He did the smart thing, he kept running, just changing course enough to not come to close.  After passing me, he looked back twice before LOS was broken.  As soon as he was out of sight, I headed fast in the direction he had come from. 

I did not need to say anything, he knew if he did anything wrong, he would die.  Anytime you see someone with a gun trained on you, and they have not shot, keep doing exactly what you were doing.  Do not run toward them but do not run away.  Do not speak unless spoken too.  If you are moving, keep moving at the same pace.  If you are stopped, do not move.  Do not run for the closest cover.  Those two things will get you killed.  Remain calm and let them feel safe.  If after a few seconds, they are not backin away or talking, then and only then, slowly move off toward a ridge or something else to break line of sight.  Going for cover is a sign you are getting ready to fight.  Running off trying to break LOS on the nearest object is a sign you are getting ready for a fight.

Your story sounds more like a miracle of two non-shoot everything that moves players running into each other. When put in either one of your shoes at least 90% of all other players would take a shot.

To be honest I think you have to get killed a lot if you really use these tactics.

You take cover first and find out if they are friendly later. You dont remain calm, stay still and prey they are friendly. Im never too far away from cover so I will keep my life in my own hands,

To be blunt, I believe you guys may just be trolling in hopes you will see people try this in a game, get an easy kill and then laugh because you seen someone fall for your trick.

Just like 2-3 days ago I spawned in Berezino with no gear and unarmed. I sneak my way up to the grocery store with the apartments across the street from them. I behind the grocery store still about 20-30 yards away. Im crouch walking and I turn a corner from around a house and see a dude standing on top of one of the tall apartment buildings. I stay still in hopes he hadnt seen me. Then pop, pop, pop I start getting lit up.

^This^ is the type of sht we deal with on DayZ. To say someone shouldnt immediately take cover if they see anyone with a gun is ludacris.