Sign in to follow this  
electroban

The now what question.

DayZ Needs to Answer the "Now What?" Question

I've been playing the indie PC title "Don't Starve" and in many ways it bears the same burden the DayZ gameplay model has.  

You start out in Don't Starve not knowing what the heck is going on, and just have to work things out as you go along; explore the environment and find key resources that you need to survive, whilst at the same time surviving from the perils of the wilderness and the night time dog attacks.  

Very similar to my first time experience of DayZ, the best kind of in game achievement; discovering things on your own and making things work to your own game play. 

Then like DayZ I ruined the game for myself slightly by consulting the wiki's, sucking the air out of the rest of the in game mystery and discovery.

Then as the days go past in Don't Starve, and likewise in DayZ, and you have finally managed to secure resources and secure your own longevity indefinitely... the question of Now What? arises.

Don't Starve doesn't have a multi player component so they added in an instanced PvE section into the game build by going into a sink hole to PvE against monsters.  This is something they've tried to do to address their own Now What? problem.  

In survival sandbox games like this, you'll always hit a peak where you can maintain your health and survival and then hit that Now What? moment.  If you give a bored player an opportunity to gun down another player for entertainment, then sure why wouldn't they take it, what else do they have to do?

I hope that Dayz Standalone will answer the Now What question, maybe increasing the difficulty of survival or at least the resource management per server.  So instead a player doesn't have time to think "Now What" because the pressure to survive and maintain themselves will be ever present.  And if that pressure isn't there, then in all fairness, expect to be gunned down.

Also you should try Don't Starve you'll like it.  It's like the tim burton of survival games

Edited by electroban
  • Like 1

I don't get the "if your bored cos you got good at the game, KOS is the only way to relieve boredom argument. Im not good enough at the game yet to shoot people for fun, but if I ever get to be a great dayz player, I would use my experience to help folk not as good as myself. Instead of KOS, why not try to help players you encounter? Hell last night I approached a survivor, & he tried to whack me with his nailed baseball bat. after dodging him and telling him I could be trusted as I was carrying a gun and could have shot him before he got the chance, he asked me to team up & we did just that for a short while before I had to log off due to having to go to my bed! A lot of people only attack on sight due to fear, not cos they are cunts. If bored, great dayz players should help survivors, and kill bandits IMO if they feel bloodthirsty. There really is no excuse for KOS, but im an older player, 40 years young. maybe if I was younger & brought up on FPS's I would think differently. What I find sad about Dayz though is that I honestly met much more friendlies playing free roam red dead redemption on my ps3 than I have met playing Dayz, and I have played Dayz for longer.

So much for PC gamers being a better class of player than console gamers...

• Like 5

There needs to be more PvE I think. There isn't enough of a challenge out there that needs teamwork and is truly challenging. PvP is then the biggest challenge a player can find. I can understand the KoS from boredom argument. I have logged on many times, run to the huey at camp, gone out in hero skin with just a pistol and bloodbags. Only to be shot by the first nab I help for the heli, then see him die roughly 2 mins later when hes found out how to take off. Have that happen about 20 times and you get tired of being friendly.

Then theres having a tent full of snipers and not felling the urge to use them. Theres only so many "supply run to NWA" missions you can run before you get bored. Im guilty of just throwing on a ghillie and running to a city, taking pop shots till someone sneaks up on me lol. Its the only challenge left.

Maybe give us something to do that's takes real teamwork and is rewarding could help. then again....there could always be backstabs afterwards ;)

I dont think too many people use the "now what?" excuse for killing everyone they see on sight. People that KoS anything they see will do so from the moment they spawn in and have absolutely nothing.

If I am fully geared out with my favorite gear, have gear stashed and everything I could possibly need then I would still think about stashing more gear some where else in case someone finds my other stashes.

If I ever feel bored enough to hunt people, I go to big cities and shoot bandits and even let some bandits go if they seem harmless. Thats also not to say I wouldnt shoot a survivor if hes sniping on a hill at unarmed players.

And if you go out and hunt bandits or heros your gonna die, so your gonna need to stash more gear.

Stashing gear is never to far from my mind.

No matter what, the game is what you make it. This is the beauty of Day Z. And there is always something to do.

• Like 1

Keep that mentality Jock. It is infinitely more challenging to be a hero than a bandit. You start to face questions such as "do I keep my gps on my person while I help people, or do I leave it behind and navigate by compass?"

Lately I've been playing DayZ Despair which really ramps up the pressure to survive, especially at night when freezing to death is a real threat, and that has changed the pvp dynamic. It still happens, for sure, but the battles are much more intense struggles, because vehicles are so goddamned hard to get running they're actually worth killing over.

• Like 1

There needs to be more PvE I think. There isn't enough of a challenge out there that needs teamwork and is truly challenging. PvP is then the biggest challenge a player can find. I can understand the KoS from boredom argument. I have logged on many times, run to the huey at camp, gone out in hero skin with just a pistol and bloodbags. Only to be shot by the first nab I help for the heli, then see him die roughly 2 mins later when hes found out how to take off. Have that happen about 20 times and you get tired of being friendly.

Then theres having a tent full of snipers and not felling the urge to use them. Theres only so many "supply run to NWA" missions you can run before you get bored. Im guilty of just throwing on a ghillie and running to a city, taking pop shots till someone sneaks up on me lol. Its the only challenge left.

Maybe give us something to do that's takes real teamwork and is rewarding could help. then again....there could always be backstabs afterwards ;)

The people you lure in and kill are likely trying to kill spawn kiling snipers.

Go out and PvP all you want but its your decision what types of players you kill. Why not hunt spawn killers? Go to Elecktro, Cherno or Bolota on a high pop server and I guarentee there are 10 or more spawn killers shootng anything and everything.

Im not telling you how to play and I respect the fact thats the way you play. People like you present me with challenges and play an important role in DayZ. Just pointing out that the game is what you make it.

Keep that mentality Jock. It is infinitely more challenging to be a hero than a bandit. You start to face questions such as "do I keep my gps on my person while I help people, or do I leave it behind and navigate by compass?"

Lately I've been playing DayZ Despair which really ramps up the pressure to survive, especially at night when freezing to death is a real threat, and that has changed the pvp dynamic. It still happens, for sure, but the battles are much more intense struggles, because vehicles are so goddamned hard to get running they're actually worth killing over.

Can you descride Despair in a little bit more detail using Vanilla as a comparison?

Whats loo tlike in Despair? Is there Self Blood Bags?

• Like 1

Minecraft, Don't Starve, 7 Days to Die, Tekkit, Dungeons and Dragons, Deadlands Weird West/Hell on Earth, Shadowrun, D20 Modern... all of these games have 3 things in common:

• They're fun as hell
  • There's no endpoint
  • They're played all the time

DayZ doesn't run anymore risk than any other multiplayer game when it comes to "Now what?" What do you do after you finish prestiging in CoD? Keep playing. What do you do when you reach level 100 in Battlefield? You keep playing. What do you do when you finish your epic castle in Minecraft? You build a second one! The game is only boring when you say it is. So calm down, suicide your character, and start over.

• Like 1

Now what? Save people. Risk your neck and your precious end game gear by going headlong into the fray with a fistfull of bloodbags and hope you come out on the other side in one piece. Is that guy in need being for real? Is he a bandito in disguise? Now what?... Go find out.

• Like 1

Can you descride Despair in a little bit more detail using Vanilla as a comparison?

Whats loo tlike in Despair? Is there Self Blood Bags?

First person only, full day and night cycle, no nametags, no side chat.

Modified terrain including expanded cities and military camps.

Re-worked loot tables including the removal of most military weapons. No GPS, no Rangefinder, no NVG's. Gotta use flares.

Rare ammo, rarer weapons.

Cans of food are uncommon, forcing you to live off the land. At night, your temperature gauge works, forcing you to move from building to building, or to make use of fire to stay warm.

Medical supplies are uncommon, with antibiotics being very rare (Don't get sick!)

There are no self bloodbags or any of that other BS. This is a seriously hardcore version of DayZ.

Check out the thread here:  http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/149542-dayz-despair/

Oh, and each fuel container only has a finite amount of fuel, so you always have to keep your consumption in mind, because the closest town might be dry.

EDIT: You would think that I created this mod, the way I promote it. I swear I didn't, i just want more players to enjoy hardcore modes.

Edited by Merrick362
  • Like 2

I don't get the "if your bored cos you got good at the game, KOS is the only way to relieve boredom argument. Im not good enough at the game yet to shoot people for fun, but if I ever get to be a great dayz player, I would use my experience to help folk not as good as myself. Instead of KOS, why not try to help players you encounter? Hell last night I approached a survivor, & he tried to whack me with his nailed baseball bat. after dodging him and telling him I could be trusted as I was carrying a gun and could have shot him before he got the chance, he asked me to team up & we did just that for a short while before I had to log off due to having to go to my bed! A lot of people only attack on sight due to fear, not cos they are cunts. If bored, great dayz players should help survivors, and kill bandits IMO if they feel bloodthirsty. There really is no excuse for KOS, but im an older player, 40 years young. maybe if I was younger & brought up on FPS's I would think differently. What I find sad about Dayz though is that I honestly met much more friendlies playing free roam red dead redemption on my ps3 than I have met playing Dayz, and I have played Dayz for longer.

So much for PC gamers being a better class of player than console gamers...

This is exactly what I do, I use my experience of over a year playing to help those that need it

Granted, most of the time I end up shooting them because they try and betray me or when I meet them they don't listen and try and shoot me

Bear in mind on my current server I have a bandit skin and still manage to talk people out of shooting me, so theres not really any excuse

If you run out of things to do, just don't play for a while

Or help people like I do, maybe even find some new players on the forums and teach them to play

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

First person only, full day and night cycle, no nametags, no side chat.

Modified terrain including expanded cities and military camps.

Re-worked loot tables including the removal of most military weapons. No GPS, no Rangefinder, no NVG's. Gotta use flares.

Rare ammo, rarer weapons.

Cans of food are uncommon, forcing you to live off the land. At night, your temperature gauge works, forcing you to move from building to building, or to make use of fire to stay warm.

Medical supplies are uncommon, with antibiotics being very rare (Don't get sick!)

There are no self bloodbags or any of that other BS. This is a seriously hardcore version of DayZ.

Check out the thread here:  http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/149542-dayz-despair/

Oh, and each fuel container only has a finite amount of fuel, so you always have to keep your consumption in mind, because the closest town might be dry.

EDIT: You would think that I created this mod, the way I promote it. I swear I didn't, i just want more players to enjoy hardcore modes.

Ive went to the website and downloaded. Not sure what to do from there lol

Ive went to the website and downloaded. Not sure what to do from there lol

You just have to drop the whole "@DayzDespair" folder into the same folder the rest of your "@DayZwhatever" ones are in, then launch it through the OA beta.

Once you are in the menu, open your mods menu and enable the one called DayZ Despair.

If you have any more questions, PM me so I don't hijack the thread.

• Like 1