iiTzzGermany

Make grass render further

Right now ghillie suits are kind of useless in fields and even in some forests. Grass does not render over 50 meters away from you so you can't hide in grass, and you end up looking like a fool because to someone who sees you, it appears you are in an open field with no grass. It also would be useful to prone in grass when you hear a vehicles coming towards you so you can let it pass instead of having to shoot it. I just think since the grass is 2 feet tall, why not be able to hide in it?

• Like 3

Hiding on the forest floor with a ghillie is pretty stupid anyway. That kind of gear only works in certain places. It's not an all-in-one-wonder.

• Like 1

So that will mean people with low-end computers will now have to struggle with bad frame rates because of the grass?

• Like 2

So that will mean people with low-end computers will now have to struggle with bad frame rates because of the grass?

What's wrong with ur specs.

They could probably have varying lod for the grass.

People with low-end computers should EXPECT to struggle with frame rates playing anything .... especially arma.  They should quit crying about it and buy a new pc, or go buy a console.

• Like 3

People with low-end computers should EXPECT to struggle with frame rates playing anything .... especially arma.  They should quit crying about it and buy a new pc, or go buy a console.

*facepalm* so devs should make it unoptimized mess like arma 2. no just no it should be work with modern low end computer with low settings or else you have shitty product in your hands

Edited by Tumoa
  • Like 1

No I never said anything about them producing an "unoptimized mess" nothing says it couldn't run just fine and have grass that renders the same for all.  I'm just saying playing on a "low end" computer and then bitching about framerates is ignorant.

• Like 1

What's wrong with ur specs.

They could probably have varying lod for the grass.

Nothing is wrong with my computer, I run everything on very high (aa off of course), and view distance on default and get around 40 - 50 fps.

No. What you are saying is 'play on very high or gtfo'. Not gonna happen, alot of people don't have the money to buy a computer that will do that.

Having grass render at higher distances will probably have an effect on everyones computer.

• Like 3

No I never said anything about them producing an "unoptimized mess" nothing says it couldn't run just fine and have grass that renders the same for all.  I'm just saying playing on a "low end" computer and then bitching about framerates is ignorant.

okay that i agree with be more specific next time

I am not saying that at all dulix ... altho I do think some options should be locked (even if they effect performance) if they can be used to gain an unfair advantage.  What you're effectively saying is play on low or gtfo because I can't see any of the grass you are hiding in.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

I am not saying that at all dulix ... altho I do think some options should be locked (even if they effect performance) if they can be used to gain an unfair advantage.  What you're effectively saying is play on low or gtfo because I can't see any of the grass you are hiding in.

Again, that is pretty much 'play like me or gtfo'.

• Like 1

How is making sure the playing field is level "play like me or gtfo"? ... whats the point of even having a high graphics setting if it puts people at a huge disadvantage?  Anyhow this is gotten off track from OP whom I do agree with. If you see your character crawling thru a field of grass as you try to sneak up on someone others should be seeing the same thing or wtf is the point?  Enough arguing with you

**btw to be clear here I'm not saying that everyone should have to run the game on max settings all the time.  Turn off AA, turn down model detail, who cares. 

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

No. What you are saying is 'play on very high or gtfo'. Not gonna happen, alot of people don't have the money to buy a computer that will do that.

Having grass render at higher distances will probably have an effect on everyones computer.

So you say fuck everyone and devs should stop developing games with good graphics because they can only afford 5yo hardware? I don't want the PC to end ip like the last gen consoles you know. People habe to adapt to todays technology and not the other way. People who think like that should GTFO imo. Edited by Enforcer

Grass is always an issue in games, main issue being that the render cost rise exponentially the further away you render it.

How is making sure the playing field is level "play like me or gtfo"? ... whats the point of even having a high graphics setting if it puts people at a huge disadvantage?  Anyhow this is gotten off track from OP whom I do agree with. If you see your character crawling thru a field of grass as you try to sneak up on someone others should be seeing the same thing or wtf is the point?  Enough arguing with you

**btw to be clear here I'm not saying that everyone should have to run the game on max settings all the time.  Turn off AA, turn down model detail, who cares. 

'Leveling the playing field' means that someone is going to need a $1500 computer to run the game. You're being selfish.

I don't even think players show up if your view distance is set to low. They sort of 'melt' into the landscape.

• Like 1

'Leveling the playing field' means that someone is going to need a $1500 computer to run the game. You're being selfish.

I don't even think players show up if your view distance is set to low. They sort of 'melt' into the landscape.

you don't need 1500 dollar to get good high end pc you can get really good one with 600-800 dolars

• Like 1

SA is a new game....sorta. So it should be more grapicly demanding that arma 2. You wouldn't expect to run BF4 if you were struggling to run BF3. Its the nature of games that grapics improve and hardware carnt keep up. That being said I have a 3 or 4 year old PC, that cost £350 (excluding grapics card because I already had one. I can force grass draw in configs to 1000m without issue, and that's running up to 150 AI.

My specs

Phenom 2 x4 3.2ghz

4gb DDR2 800mhz ram

2GB GTS 450 eco

Normal 250GB HDD

All dated tech, and not every setting on high...but most. And id guess that if I bought another £350 machine without a card now id be getting DDR3 ram and a much better processor. you don't have to spend loads to build a gaming rig.

So get the grass view distance up devs! and I really hope that the view distance itself is much hiher in SA. Jus look at those dev blogs where its clearly set to the full 10k....maybe more if they forcing it ;)

Just make grass a non adjustable setting really and set it's rendering distance to a reasonable value.

How much of an issue would more 3D grass really be? Isn't everything suppose to be server side in SA? Rather than armas current client side.

Nobody's talking about 3d grass. Just forcing a common minimum render distance only for grass would be enough. However, if you are hiding in grass, you should be aware that it's not an invisibility cloak. Even in real life a ghillie suit would not hide you in short grass. I prefer to hide behind solid objects whenever possible.

Nobody's talking about 3d grass. Just forcing a common minimum render distance only for grass would be enough. However, if you are hiding in grass, you should be aware that it's not an invisibility cloak. Even in real life a ghillie suit would not hide you in short grass. I prefer to hide behind solid objects whenever possible.

On Chernarus the grass is much higher than just regular grass, it sometimes even goes up to your chest. I heard in a planned features list that Rocket was asked this and said he would look into this seeing that the render distance for grass is only about 50 meters at the moment.

Edited by iiTzzGermany

I don't want to know where you buy your computers at...  because the $500 dollar computer I bought 2-3 years ago plays this game fairly well on the highest settings. My $1,200 computer doesn't even stretch to play Arma II/DayZ on highest settings and that is a least a year old now. Trying to play games on a 4 year old $300 laptop is dumb and I see people trying to do that all the time and then complaining about the results.