rooniedoo

DayZ SA not being moddable

I hope its not modable.

Bastardized versions like Epoch, Overwatch etc etc have done their best to ruin the core of DayZ. Thankfully R4Z0R is still here.

All my opinion of course. If you dont like it please do not attempt to change it by explaining why those versions are great. If you want to bash my opinion by all means go ahead silly goose.

Edited by Mr Nasty
  • Like 1

If you dont like it please do not attempt to change it by explaining why those versions are great. If you want to bash my opinion by all means go ahead silly goose.

Yeah, how dare we try and have a reasonable discussion about why you think they are horrible and/or explain the good things about them. I mean you've made up your mind off of falsehoods and nothing and lets not be rational.

Yeah, how dare we try and have a reasonable discussion about why you think they are horrible and/or explain the good things about them. I mean you've made up your mind off of falsehoods and nothing and lets not be rational.

Excuse me, Ive played them and in my opinion they are not DayZ. I should not have to point out the reasons as they are blatantly obvious for example load up vanilla then load up epoch. Since you insist, If you'd like to take the time to state why you like it and why I should by all means I will not object to that but like I said in my original post you will not sway my opinion.

Edited by Mr Nasty

Excuse me, Ive played them and in my opinion they are not DayZ. I should not have to point out the reasons as they are blatantly obvious for example load up vanilla then load up epoch. Since you insist, If you'd like to take the time to state why you like it and why I should by all means I will not object to that but like I said in my original post you will not sway my opinion.

Having played Vanilla Epoch which has limited vehicles, plenty of zombies, no seriously extra loot spawn points, no AI, no safe zones, no DMRs, no AS50s and such... I found myself with interesting challenges. Mainly I found myself trying to save up to start building a base. I wanted a secure base, but "secure" is a limited thing in Epoch. You can buy a car with a key and lock it, but people can find rare spawns from police zombies that have a "Hotwire Kit" that can unlock a vehicle once and until server restart. So while things can't be taken by anyone who wanders by, there are not always perfectly safe. The only thing that can store them safely is an actual Safe, which is expensive and limited in storage. 

I like that finding ammo for guns I don't use isn't a complete waste of time to be left on the floor until it despawns. I like that I can gather it up and trade it in for beans or a hunting knife. Some believe this isn't in the DayZ spirit and it is and isn't. I think a couple things are priced too low, but a lot of it is about right. I don't have to "farm an area" but can save up from all the crap I gather and trade and buy an item I want instead of server hopping, or triggering loot spawns till it shows up. 

I really like the time-sink of base building. Think about Vanilla. After you get your gear what is left to do? Um.... maybe get a vehicle and fix it? Okay... now what? Shoot people. In Epoch I get geared up, I get a vehicle, and now I spend a LOT of time hunting up building supplies and then building my base. I do it in and out of the way place in the hope I don't get shot and need to keep it maintained so I have to constantly go out and find building materials not just find a good gun or set of guns, ammo, basic gear, 4 tires, engine, fuel parts, and jerry cans, then go shoot people. It gives people an end goal and keeps them going to different locations on the map to find Cinder Blocks and Mortar. The fact that you can't get locks off of anything but zombie corpses and maybe as random loot found in an untouched vehicle means people actually ENGAGE zombies instead of just running around them and looting the buildings quick. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origins on the other hand does a few different things right. You want a house so you can secure a few things. I think they are a bit too secure, but at least the first level house only holds ten guns and you can be shot coming out and your gear available to loot. To do that you have to gather a bunch of supplies. Again you have a goal beyond gearing up and going, "Then what?" Second level house means you have to get the plans for it, which means engaging a super zombie that takes a ton of damage. Maybe he drops it. 

The more rare plans require killing the mayor of a semi fuctioning island that is filled with AI soldiers. You need a small group to get in and out safely which encourages teaming up with someone so end game isn't all about PvP but some cooperation. Then again, you don't ever have to go that far. You could build a level 1 or 2 house and shoot anyone who wanders onto your lawn, so to speak. Some people won't, but it gives those who would something to do besides just survive or PvP. 

--------------------------------------------

You see, that is the ONE place Vanilla falls aside. It's a persistent game, with no permanency. Your tents can be run over, your razor wire pulled up, your vehicles stolen. While I don't think things should NEVER be taken I do believe there should be a way to take reasonable precautions so that someone can't just walk up to your tent and take all your stuff. If tents were only accessible while you were online and such that would be one thing, but when you work and have family and can only be online a few hours each week then having a tent can be somewhat pointless since you are not around often enough to keep people out of the area, or pack things up if you had to. 

This does, and does not make sense. What makes more sense is that you would find a way to secure an area and post guards to protect your precious food and ammo. I think Epoch and Origins better work for THAT aspect of apocalypse simulation. Vanilla went a long way by giving us the more easily hidden stashes to tuck things into, but that still isn't all that realistic. 5 guys could reasonably secure an area against a few desperate people and have a chance of guarding their gear, not have some random survivor, unarmed, starving, nearly dead, come to their camp and rummage through everything and walk away armed, healthy, and ready to go.  You would probably have 2 people guard it at all times. 

• Like 1

I hope its not modable.

Bastardized versions like Epoch, Overwatch etc etc have done their best to ruin the core of DayZ. Thankfully R4Z0R is still here.

All my opinion of course. If you dont like it please do not attempt to change it by explaining why those versions are great. If you want to bash my opinion by all means go ahead silly goose.

Seems like a pretty current trend of people bashing the mods like origins and epoch. The masses of Uberfanboys in this forums is one of the many many reason I rarely post here, but I decided to make a exception here. If Dayz vanilla was so awesome, and so great, the mods like Epoch and Origins wouldn't be as popular as they are. they are taking a game that is a pretty good mod, and giving the people what they want. however, is not what the fanboys want. so that is ruining the game huh? By getting more people to play it.........by getting more people to enjoy it.........huh, that's pretty f'ed up logic.

Marketability is something you should think about. Epoch and origins do something the regular mod can't do. Creating a economy. ability to build bases, store goods, buy vehicles and make it more like a real apocalypse setting. Ability to stash lockboxes, safes, etc. Like what would happen IRL in a Apocalypse setting. people wouldn't be camping in a fire station, killing everyone that came by for there beans. They would pair up, pool resources, build fortifications. kill Zombies. hunt douchebags.

Dayz SA was supposed to be out last year, early this year right? About the time Origins and Epoch took off right? So do you think that maybe the guys behind the SA are taking note, and trying to make a game the everyone will WANT TO PAY FOR. I don't know about you, but if I want to play a brutal game, I'll play DayZ vanilla. I certainly am not going to buy the exact same game with better graphics and the ability to do a few more things but not be able to build or own gear. people will, but more people will buy stuff closer to Epoch/Origins.

I am sure the SA will come out, probably not be modable. do you think it will be closer to vanilla, or closer to epoch/2017/origins etc? my money is on the later. Who wants to pay 2 times for a more brutal version of call of duty, where people just hang out with a rifle on the shore killing noobs. If that's what makes the game great to you, go play Call of Duty. There are plenty of sheep there for you to enjoy.

oh and I'm not trying to change a fanboys view, or views. that's a waste of time.

• Like 1

Uh, it's pretty clear the SA will be much closer to vanilla than to epoch or origins. I guess rocket is one of the "fanboys" as well.

However, the crafting and such seems to be a nod in that direction. 

Seems like a pretty current trend of people bashing the mods like origins and epoch. The masses of Uberfanboys in this forums is one of the many many reason I rarely post here, but I decided to make a exception here. If Dayz vanilla was so awesome, and so great, the mods like Epoch and Origins wouldn't be as popular as they are. they are taking a game that is a pretty good mod, and giving the people what they want. however, is not what the fanboys want. so that is ruining the game huh? By getting more people to play it.........by getting more people to enjoy it.........huh, that's pretty f'ed up logic.

Marketability is something you should think about. Epoch and origins do something the regular mod can't do. Creating a economy. ability to build bases, store goods, buy vehicles and make it more like a real apocalypse setting. Ability to stash lockboxes, safes, etc. Like what would happen IRL in a Apocalypse setting. people wouldn't be camping in a fire station, killing everyone that came by for there beans. They would pair up, pool resources, build fortifications. kill Zombies. hunt douchebags.

Dayz SA was supposed to be out last year, early this year right? About the time Origins and Epoch took off right? So do you think that maybe the guys behind the SA are taking note, and trying to make a game the everyone will WANT TO PAY FOR. I don't know about you, but if I want to play a brutal game, I'll play DayZ vanilla. I certainly am not going to buy the exact same game with better graphics and the ability to do a few more things but not be able to build or own gear. people will, but more people will buy stuff closer to Epoch/Origins.

I am sure the SA will come out, probably not be modable. do you think it will be closer to vanilla, or closer to epoch/2017/origins etc? my money is on the later. Who wants to pay 2 times for a more brutal version of call of duty, where people just hang out with a rifle on the shore killing noobs. If that's what makes the game great to you, go play Call of Duty. There are plenty of sheep there for you to enjoy.

oh and I'm not trying to change a fanboys view, or views. that's a waste of time.

This guy nailed it on the head. Well said.

The fanboys on the site are the clear minority. If they weren't epoch and origins wouldn't be as successful as they are. 

Uh, it's pretty clear the SA will be much closer to vanilla than to epoch or origins. I guess rocket is one of the "fanboys" as well.

Pretty much a given right?i mean he came up with the idea right. He has to be a fanboy of his own work.

I feel like Dayz SA would be more successful closer to epoch or origins. I feel like it hasn't come out yet, because of the popularity of the mods, and the fall off of DayZNilla.

Pretty much a given right?i mean he came up with the idea right. He has to be a fanboy of his own work.

I feel like Dayz SA would be more successful closer to epoch or origins. I feel like it hasn't come out yet, because of the popularity of the mods, and the fall off of DayZNilla.

Yea the submods are whats keeping the dayz mod's hearth beating. With out it, it would be dead.

If standalone is not moddable I give 6 to 8 months before it dies. Just look how vanilla dayz is doing. 

However, the crafting and such seems to be a nod in that direction. 

I'm not seeing it that way tbh. Some of the core elements of mods such as epoch and origins, things that actually truly separate them from vanilla go directly against what Dean wanted/wants this game to be about and by all accounts would be very unlikely to ever be implemented.

The fanboys on the site are the clear minority. If they weren't epoch and origins wouldn't be as successful as they are. 

You do realize DayZ mod was hugely popular before epoch even existed, right?

Yes, it depends how you define success though. Popularity doesn't mean shit really, going by that logic the SA should feature 1000 helis, 100000 vehicles servers by default. The game not coming out because of the popularity of the mods would be pretty strange considering it is most likely going to come out with no vehicles and certainly no base building, not even tents.

Yes, it depends how you define success though. Popularity doesn't mean shit really, going by that logic the SA should feature 1000 helis, 100000 vehicles servers by default. The game not coming out because of the popularity of the mods would be pretty strange considering it is most likely going to come out with no vehicles and certainly no base building, not even tents.

Success is only defined one way. Sales and longevity. I'm not talking about moral or personal goals here. Those goals don't matter.

I am saying the "shark has jumped" on DayZNilla.

ideas evolve. People thought of the wheel, and then people made the car because of it. A guy invents a mod of a game, then that game evolves to something else, and becomes a better version of someones original idea.

And yeah, I have been around, played me plenty of DayZNilla. Honestly who wants to run for 45 minutes and not encounter a soul and then die from someone camping a high loot spawn area, then rinse and repeat. Enjoy your running simulator, not sure about your self, but I don't have days to waste when I game. I want to enjoy it.

I understand why it's DOA.

Do you?

Rista gets it.

I'm not a fanboy I'm a groupie, see the title?

I'm glad people enjoy the bastardized versions. I have nothing against people having fun. It's just not for me and I hope they lock the SA down to prevent further bastards from being created.

That's also not to say I don't commend those who have spent and continue to spend hours of their own time scripting and creating these mods. I'm sure seeing thousands of people enjoying your work is the ultimate satisfaction.

• Like 2

Honestly who wants to run for 45 minutes and not encounter a soul and then die from someone camping a high loot spawn area

A million or so people who bought this military simulator for the sole purpose of playing a buggy mod in which you do exactly that? There are more that enough players interested in vanilla experience, I don't believe Dean is concerned about poor sales.

I'm glad people enjoy the bastardized versions. I have nothing against people having fun. It's just not for me and I hope they lock the SA down to prevent further bastards from being created.

Yeah. In a similar way these mods of the mod do nothing for me, some people will obviously feel the same for the SA. That doesn't mean the game should be moddable though. In fact, it should be completely the opposite if it is going to have any sort of direction.

I play both Epoch and Origins as well as Vanilla. Heck I just started playing Battle Royal which is a pretty extreme jump from DayZ Vanilla. I believe the Standalone should not be open for modding. This sounds hypocritical but it really isn't. You will notice how hard it is to find a VANILLA Epoch server, to the point where most of the people bashing Epoch are bashing things that are not even in Epoch but are add-ons that individual server owners have added like safe zones. A lot of the people on epoch are not even playing Epoch. They are playing 1000+ vehicles, Self Blood Bag, Start with Gear, and Basebuilding 1.7.6 with traders as far as they would notice. There is the same cherno/electro experiences of spawn and get shot. Vanilla Epoch servers are about as hard as regular vanilla, but a lot of people avoid them because they are "hard". So for every good server using a solid Mod as intended you get 20 that are basically crap. Why? Because they can private host and add whatever mods they want to them. 

I'm not seeing it that way tbh. Some of the core elements of mods such as epoch and origins, things that actually truly separate them from vanilla go directly against what Dean wanted/wants this game to be about and by all accounts would be very unlikely to ever be implemented.

Can you give examples. I can. In both Epoch and Origins there is a way to basically secure gear in a manner that a player would have to stalk you and kill you at the right moment to get it. I don't see that as a bad thing. You can't guard your stash 24/7 alone.... but then again you could guard it a lot better than you can in Vanilla where people can access it while you CAN'T be guarding it because you are not online. See, if tents only existed while the owning player was online then every time they run off to loot things the tent is exposed but they have a reasonable ability to affect it's security. They could have several people take turns guarding their tents while a few ran off and looted, which is how most people would do it. Otherwise they could loot only nearby places and keep checking on their tent. As it is there is the workday and while I sleep that anyone can wander up and just take everything. 

I don't like the, "Can't access in any way..." Safe and House in those other mods, but given that someone can scope your place out when you are not online and then wait for you to log in and ambush you while they are open, they are not totally secure. It's basically a way of saying, "While you have to do that real life stuff, you don't have to worry about your pretend stuff." That is the primary change but I think it is a solid one because otherwise we are only rewarding those who have more freetime. ;)

• Like 2

Mercules,

I gave you beans on a few of your posts because they are well thought out, very detailed, intelligent responses. I can tell you gave it much thought and effort. Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate those kinds of posts even if im being stubborn about my view points.

• Like 1

Mercules,

I gave you beans on a few of your posts because they are well thought out, very detailed, intelligent responses. I can tell you gave it much thought and effort. Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate those kinds of posts even if im being stubborn about my view points.

...and I can appreciate someone who will at least read through them and consider them even if they don't convince the person to change their opinion. 

-Less open to hacking

-No 100000^51 vihiculzz!!! servers

-No spawning with an AK (or worse)

-No flipping tazers (srsly, wtf?)

-No divided community (!)

Yes, I'd rather have that 50% of the players get bored after a year and quit, than that 75% of them take off to play another mod.

• Like 2

Tasers would be okay if they were part of Standalone and were rare to find.

But I 100 percent agree that I would rather SA lose quite a few players (That just don't get it) than allow modding and return right back to the mess it is today.

And the game will continue to be improved. More features added. So even if a bunch leave. The numbers will come back.

Modding shouldn't really be allowed until after the game is considered "done".

this. anyone who thinks otherwise can stick it up their ass. The game's still in alpha and people already want to turn it into easymode, no thanks.

nothing wrong with the mods, or with the addons (actually no, fuck 3/4 of the addons), but dayz is the game we've been waiting for, not epoch. If you like epoch more than the SA, keep playing epoch. simple as that. 

Edited by Capo

To be honest it won't really make much of a difference if it  moddible or not. It has only been a year since vanilla mod was released and it's basically empty. Just because they will have loot spawn in different places (which epoch has) or volumetric clouds (which arma 3 has) or a better inventory system (which arma 3 has) or item damage ( Better watch out, don't wanna break your flashlight). Doesn't mean it's going to last any longer. 

A good game could allow modding with out having to worry of the game going to pits. Most people enjoy playing mods with base building and trader and currency not because it is easier but because there is more to do. The more things there is  to do the funner it is.

I completely understand the hardcore players not wanting it to be moddible, You enjoy the hardcore aspect and I'm completely fine with that. That is my vision of dayz. Thats how dayz should be played. But it could only be fun for so long. If dayz isn't going to be moddible then I hope there is going to plenty of things to do. You must understand there is a reason why there is 2487 epoch servers and only 1506 vanilla servers.

Most people enjoy playing mods with base building and trader and currency not because it is easier but because there is more to do. 

Which is exactly why I have been playing Epoch and Origins as much as Vanilla lately. I got my level one hero house built in Origins so now I can work on a garage and park my ATV. My best gun is a M4A3 CCO although I have a Kobra and mags for both. I have a silenced pistol I use when I need to since ammo for it is even more scarce. Tonight I think I'll make a sweep of some industrial areas to get stuff to start my garage and head over to an area I heard drops slightly different military gear like Range Finders and see if I can get anything. I'd like an SVD or DMR for later when I have to raid areas with AI and I might have to clear a path from further away. 

In Epoch I still need more scrap metal and cinderblocks to build with. Would be nice to find a few supply drops and helicopter crashes so I might have to risk going out in a vehicle. 

Which is exactly why I have been playing Epoch and Origins as much as Vanilla lately. I got my level one hero house built in Origins so now I can work on a garage and park my ATV. My best gun is a M4A3 CCO although I have a Kobra and mags for both. I have a silenced pistol I use when I need to since ammo for it is even more scarce. Tonight I think I'll make a sweep of some industrial areas to get stuff to start my garage and head over to an area I heard drops slightly different military gear like Range Finders and see if I can get anything. I'd like an SVD or DMR for later when I have to raid areas with AI and I might have to clear a path from further away. 

In Epoch I still need more scrap metal and cinderblocks to build with. Would be nice to find a few supply drops and helicopter crashes so I might have to risk going out in a vehicle. 

You see how many things you got to do :)

If it was vanilla it would be

I got my sniper.....and.....uh..............I shot a guy.................and then I died.

You see how many things you got to do :)

If it was vanilla it would be

I got my sniper.....and.....uh..............I shot a guy.................and then I died.

Tell me about it. In vanilla I have a DMR and an M14. Plenty of medical supplies, decent sized backpack, all the basic survival tools. I'm sitting there going, "Now what?" I've considered hitting NEAF, but I would like backup. I'd wander down and see if I could counter snipe some bambi snipers but that tends to work better with a spotter and shooter. I'd go hunt for a vehicle along the edges of the map, but my friends log in so infrequently right now... what would I do with it before it was found by someone else? I could craft a few things, but what would I do with it? 

I'm at the wonderful point in DayZ where I have some good stuff. Too good to just go haring off without a plan and goal in mind but not really good enough to fully take advantage of it. I have a few clips of DMR, but not enough to get into a couple serious engagements. I don't want to leave it in a tent to be stolen while I take a AK Kobra and go to risky areas but I might have to if I want to do anything in that game. Basically I need some friends to hop on.

With the others I have to take some care but if I loot an industrial point which won't have too many players camping it or going there regularly I can get one step closer to building something. I can take an hour of time, run off to the closest point and progress in the game. In Vanilla anything I do at this point is more likely to put me back a step than advance me in any way.