Sign in to follow this  
Die-N-Honor

Should I Buy Dayz?

Hello everyone, I'm sure you will hate me for saying this but, i have been a  Warz (I:ss) fan since the game came out a year ago. I Quit the game back in april honestly because its just crap, i got back on to day in  hopes of them making it better but the game honestly looks worse.

I would like to know your comparison to  Dayz - Warz and see what you  guys  think.

A couple of Questions:

1. How is the in-game players? Is it full of hackers? ( that's the main reason i left warz)

2. Is the looting system better than warz?

3. What is this Epoch ( I think i spelled it right)? I kinda read up on it and people can mine in it?

4. How  does the  Night/day cycle work? I like the Daytime more and Warz daytime vs nighttime is uneven, its dark most the  time.

That's all i have for now, but please put in your two cents to help me decide  if i should purchase  this tonight. Thanks guys!

Edit: P.s I will for sure be buying standalone, but i guess there is no release date for it  yet.

Edited by Die-N-Honor

Pardon me if I correct your terminology.

You don't "buy" DayZ, DayZ is a free mod. You buy the game Arma 2 in order to play the DayZ mod.

I'll try to answer some of your questions, though I've never played WarZ myself.

1. The scripter situation has improved significantly as the mod has been updated. You'll find a lot of complaints about "hackers" in old posts and writings, but consider that they probably don't apply to today's DayZ.

4. Time in Arma 2 works like real time. There's a 24 hour Day/Night cycle. When you leave a server on, it will cycle through days at the same rate it does in real life. It offers equal time to day and night. Servers can modify or circumvent this, though, so you may encounter servers that are 24/7 daytime.

I came from ISS as well, and this mod is about on the same level as ISS at the moment...and its just a mod. If you dont own ARMA 2 or 3 I would wait a month or so and see if the SA comes out, it looks pretty close to being developed at this point.

As for hackers? Ya, youll find em prolly almost as much as ISS, looting is harder to find imo, Epoch is a mod of the DayZ mod with merchants and currency etc and different servers have different day/night cycles, i believe they last 12 hours each or so..

• Like 1

1: About the same bandit-player ratio as WarZ

2: Arguably. More rarity but unrealistic ratio of military loot to civilian. There aren't hats everywhere.

3: A mod of DayZ made by a group of fans that adds a lot of really silly features, like NPC trading hubs/invincibility zones/custom bases.

4: (REAL) DayZ servers run on a 1:1 ratio with real life; if it's 2:00 PM real life it'll be 2:00 PM in the game. However, because Rocket unfortunately lets people run private servers, most have bullshit 4 hour day/night cycles or 24/7 daylight.

1. How is the in-game players? Is it full of hackers? ( that's the main reason i left warz)

2. Is the looting system better than warz?

3. What is this Epoch ( I think i spelled it right)? I kinda read up on it and people can mine in it?

4. How  does the  Night/day cycle work? I like the Daytime more and Warz daytime vs nighttime is uneven, its dark most the  time.

1. Varies from server to server, but hacking is not as common as it used to be. When I play now, I rarely run into a hacker and feel most players I find acquired their weapons legitimately. 

2. I don't know how it is in WarZ, but again this varies. Public hive has loot that's overall "rare" compared to many other servers, but it's easy enough to find once you know where to look and have the patience.

3. I don't know enough about it to say. I bet Google and Youtube do though.

4. Varies. Some servers (rare) have 24/7 day/night cycle like the real world. Others have it always day. Some have it customized to be day and night for short periods each.

Now I'm a bit biased, but I'd say it's a worthy purchase to buy ArmA 2 along with Operation Arrowhead, even if it is just for DayZ.

Thanks guys, and yeah im aware that i would need to purchase Arma 2 and Dayz is free. When i ment "buy dayz" i ment Arma 2 i don't have it so i would need to buy it before i could play Dayz.

I looked up Standalone to see the latest news on it, but it seems all the post are very very old. How do we know its getting close? Am i looking on the  wrong site? ( I was at the main site for standalone).

It's better than WarZ in every aspect.

There are still hackers, but they have moved elsewhere as the mod lost it's initial hype.

The vanilla day/night cycle is a 24 hour cycle (just like real life)

Epoch is DayZ, but it has a great base building, new vehicles, etc. It's really fun, but it also really destroys the traditional vanilla feel.

Buy ArmA (not DayZ), and enjoy arma in itself, along with DayZ.

I say start with vanilla DayZ if/when you do first play and see how you enjoy that first. No matter what mods of DayZ I play, I always end up back at vanilla.

Technically anyone can change the name of their app while in development to whatever they want. Halo, 2 and 3 have shown up in that database with Microsoft saying never going to happen and we don't know what that's about. So who knows. Would be an epic troll or an epic win for a Halloween Alpha release. Either way, good times are ahead!

IRT I would wait either way. At this point, even if it doesn't come out in the next couple weeks, you really should find something else to get into and just wait it out. I am on a two month hiatus and only really play here and there when a friend needs some help with something. I really want a clean palate when I jump into SA for the first time. If the above turns out to be a rumor and it ends up looking like a release after Christmas I would spend the cash and jump in. Otherwise you're dropping twenty or thirty dollars for something you may only be playing for a very short time. Contrary to what some people say, Arma2 is garbage unless you really, really like military sims with dated graphics. It was great a while back, but if you buy it for Dayz, don't expect to get much play value out of it at this point in its life.