jrhesketh@gmail.com

Questions from a returning player

Hi all,

I just have a few questions to ask, as a returning player who last played in November last year.

1. Is there any point trying to roleplay in DayZ these days, or is everyone so scared of one another that it's just shoot on sight, big PvP frenzy, and no trust? Wanted to see if I could be a Police type, try and reinstate law and order in this apocalyptic world!
  2. What exactly is DayZ epoch, and what makes it so popular? From what I've seen it's "we'll let people do and make wtf they want" and seems like it's lost the essence of DayZ?
  3. Why isn't DayZ 2017 more popular? I was pretty excited when I first heard about it; DayZ back to basics... Yet there's no official servers, only 3 working, and only 2 players in 1 of those 3 servers. Biiiig bummer.
  4. Has there been any massive changes since I left? I noticed some servers have a new UI; is that just for Vanilla DayZ, or just on some servers?
  5. Is DayZ vanilla worth returning to? I notice there's dozens of mods now, most of which don't seem popular. I worry that all these tid-bit mods will divide the community.

Lastly, I live in the UK, and work terrible shifts; 2 earlies, 2 lates, 2 nights, then 4 days off - in the evenings, I have a girlfriend to appease.

Is there anyone out there who plays UK daytime that wants to team up and maybe re-show me the ropes?

Dayz 2017 isn't popular because it's just too hard for most people are used to easily being able to find loot and play on servers with 700+ Helis. No point in role playing everyone just plays team death match, don't even try. Epoch is popular because it alows base building, semi-functional trading, if you die infected you come back as a zombie with cool features, stuff like that. I'm not sure if dayz vanilla is exactly worth returning too, I personally enjoy playing origins vanilla and I would recommend playing other mods vanilla servers. Good luck.

Edit: OP I wish there was more people like you that would role play and play hardcore. I can only dream that there will be something like that in standalone.

Edited by Kevsta545

I believe the main draw of Epoch is that you can build things. Create a base using a current structure or make your own. Thus, it allows you to create a more permanent place for all your stuff. There's also traders, so you can sell things for money (gold/silver/etc) and buy what you need. It seems to be less focused on survival, and more on development. Personally, I like it. I can buy a safe to keep things in and don't have to worry about losing them. It may not be hardcore like vanilla DayZ, but I enjoy it more.

I believe the main draw of Epoch is that you can build things. Create a base using a current structure or make your own. Thus, it allows you to create a more permanent place for all your stuff. There's also traders, so you can sell things for money (gold/silver/etc) and buy what you need. It seems to be less focused on survival, and more on development. Personally, I like it. I can buy a safe to keep things in and don't have to worry about losing them. It may not be hardcore like vanilla DayZ, but I enjoy it more.

Plus Epoch adds tons of military vehicles such as humvees with M2s, grenade launchers, etc.  Also choppers like Blachawks and such.  I think that since most people pvp now in DayZ so much, these vehicles make for more fun and exciting PVP.

Along with everything you stated, I imagine why that is why Epoch has become so popular.

Depends on the server really. I play on a Epoch server with about 20 players on average online at a time. Not everyone KoS's, many people team up and help build mini cities and towns to shelter newbies and veterans as well as player run shops. Some players try to raid the towns to loot the stuff in it but a group of hero's form a town guard and stop them.

I wish this was true. 

In all honesty though it just depends on the server, its not too bad for KOSing as it used to be but its still common. 

Vanilla all day. Anything else besides maybe DayZero or Official Origins isnt even close to DayZ.

Self Blood Bags, pick spawns, extra loot and etc=pure competitve shooter. Mods like Epoch and even the non-offocial DayZ servers doesnt even feel like there is a survival aspect to them. Self Blood bags are what really does it in.

imo most of the kids and people who just want to go out and kill people play these servers.

You can pick spawns in Vanilla now but it still has the same feel to it (at least from when I started playing in Feb). There is a tad more loot I believe (Could be wrong here). No Self Blood Bag so there is still value in life and reason to play cautious.

Some servers disable self blood-bag.

I play on a server with no self blood-bag and no safe-zones. It makes for a more cautious gameplay style. 

imo most of the kids and people who just want to go out and kill people play these servers.

I can't say if that is %100 true or not.  I know a fair share of people who play Epoch who are heros and bandits.  

I play as a Hero but I still enjoy Epoch a ton.  I began to grow bored of vanilla DayZ.  I had been playing since July last year and had done everything there was to do.  Epoch gave me a fresh new list of things to do.  That's why I enjoyed it so much and I think that is the same reason a lot of other people enjoy it too.

1. dayz roleplay is somewhat dead, it is an excuse for people to kill and say its ok because they have a backstory.

2. dayz epoch is a mod for dayz that is set after the vanilla mod, and traders have surfaced and can sell things. It has an added currency system and basebuilding. the basebuilding is different that origins because you make each part and can arrange your walls/floors/ceilings any way you would like.

3.to the community dayz 2017 like alot of mods was really cool to those who first tried it wand had somewhat of a cult following. once the shinyness wore off it became another dead mod for the game.

4. not many giant changes, exept for the new UI which also adds crafting to the mod. The UI is on any server running dayz 1.8 or higher and dayz caribou is he only dayz mod i know of to be using it.

5. dayz vanilla is for people who like challenge, public hives are starting to resurface a little now so more players are getting back into the true vanilla game-most private hives are modified in some ways to be easier, like more cars or more loot or more buildings. and as i said any up to date vanilla dayz server is running the new UI which is a plus.

I enjoy dayz vanilla and epoch. In vanilla there is still lots of shoot on sight which is reduced in epoch because of the trader cities and base building aspects, they add lots of oppurtunities to team up and although  the currency system can make banditry very profitable, most people team up and build bases

Edited by callsignBravo

Ive been wondering a lot of this myself. I was playing almost since the initial game came out, straight vanilla. My character was over 372 days old and had everything..had been through a lot and it was horrible that I lost him simply from forgetting you cant change seats when in a heli...of course I did not know they included parachutes now..haha.

But..the vanilla aspect is dead unless you're playing with others and Im tired of fighting infections constantly and super power zeds that can do anything, many things you cant.

So Ive thought about trying Epoch. Is it something you spawn in and can find a few players to show you the ropes, like the traders and stuff, or do you just walk around and hope you don't get shot? It def sounds more like a slightly more 'civilized' set up where people are forming groups. That does add some nice change though as Im tired of the lonewolf approach for days on end scavenging for food.

Ive been wondering a lot of this myself. I was playing almost since the initial game came out, straight vanilla. My character was over 372 days old and had everything..had been through a lot and it was horrible that I lost him simply from forgetting you cant change seats when in a heli...of course I did not know they included parachutes now..haha.

But..the vanilla aspect is dead unless you're playing with others and Im tired of fighting infections constantly and super power zeds that can do anything, many things you cant.

So Ive thought about trying Epoch. Is it something you spawn in and can find a few players to show you the ropes, like the traders and stuff, or do you just walk around and hope you don't get shot? It def sounds more like a slightly more 'civilized' set up where people are forming groups. That does add some nice change though as Im tired of the lonewolf approach for days on end scavenging for food.

It depends on the playerbase of a server but many people team up to make base building easier. Its a lot less KoS and more "that guy might have a big ass group with him so I don't wanna get outnumbered". That being said its easy to get into and its fun too, however as usual with DayZ, trust no one.

Yeah...I tried it last night. Was on the DayZcraze (I think it was) server and no one else was on.

I spawned in, ran around and quickly realized that having an axe is useless almost completely now days. With no one to help me after I lost all my blood, I was oddly alive for a long time with zero blood just crawling around, going in and out of consciousness. Ill try it again. Its a Euro server so more might be on now (6pm US time).

follow up...

not too bad today. I was able to get a lot of decent supplies, cook meat, found a few inventory items, and even a secured base. Unfortunately the lock pick kit I found cant break large locked doors apparently.

But I hope to run into a group that's looking for someone else to join and help out in Epoch :)

I play on the Musty servers. They have one Chernarus map and one Taviana map. Currently Chernarus is very much PVP (although you can probably still find some people willing to team up). The Taviana map is less populated, but almost all of us playing on it are more PVE oriented. There are a couple bigger groups and a couple lonewolfs, but basically everyone is friendly. If you come there, I'm sure someone would be able to show you the ropes.

Here's a place to show what can be built: http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php/Modular_Building_System

Most of the other stuff is easy to figure out. Traders are marked on the map. Just go there, select "Trader Menu", and click on something to buy/sell. Everything costs a metal (gold/silver/bronze/etc), either as a 1oz bar or 10oz bar. That's about it. After a trip or two to the traders, you'll have it all figured out. The rest is basically just building (and playing DayZ like normal).

cool, thanks for the info! Ill check out that link right now.

Im actually hurt and about to die after acquiring some decent gear so I guess Ill have to start over anyways. But so far other than a neat base and some locked vehicles, everything seemed the same. (Oh, and harvesting plants for food...was that an upgrade to Vanilla as well?).

Anyways, so far its enjoyable other than breaking my leg after changing into different clothing, and then bleeding profusely even after using up my bandages. Gotta love glitches :)

After playing on a few of the mods i always found myself back to vanilla dayz as it has the most satisfaction for me, finding a car is a tad harder, staying alive from the undead has become harder and finding antibiotics seems to always get in the way of a mission but you have to do what you have to do to survive.

Ive had enough of these punks KoSing

I love player interaction and helping each other out and i also love killing bandits.

Lately playing dayz i have had a few pvp encounters, merely in self defence clutching my m1911 and holding a backpack full of food, drink and ammo to last on my daily run. i have had to fight my way out of cherno firestation when two groups of survivors had started a shootout 10m infront of me. These types of things give you a rush, a little buzz no other game has come to giving me. Also when you come accross a player and dont shoot each other but lower your weapons in unison it really does brig faith in some of the community.

TRUST in the appocolypse isnt easy to gain, and only few people in this cruel world have mine, but saying that if i see you and think your friendly i will aproach sneaky and survey the situation before shouting out.

Im just a Survivor, a stoned one at that.

It makes things a little easier :)

• Like 1