jippyuk

Make killing an option... allow us to knock out fellow survivors :)

Probably mentioned somewhere buried in the thousands of suggestions posted every second here.

Whilst out in the wilderness I spotted a fellow survivor approaching a farmhouse from the other side, he hadn't seen me yet. I knew there was decent loot inside but was left with a problem.

Do I kill him first?

Do I try to befriend him and risk getting killed?

In the end I chose the former (guilty) however if we are talking about survival in the world out there.... I would have much preferred to creep up on him and knock him out somehow (piece of wood etc) or to shoot a tranq dart or something from afar.

Like that I have about 3-4 mins to get in the farmhouse... loot it for things I need, check his backpack and take any supplies I might deem necessary WITHOUT having to kill if possible.

Its a gameplay choice, you DONT have to kill. I'd much rather steal apologise and leave the guy alive.

I'm guessing the option to knock people out etc would need to be something you GET via looting. Otherwise everyone would just be knocking each other out all the time. Or some sort of mechanic where you need to do it from a certain position or something.

Any ideas / suggestions / additions to this?

I think it would add another gameplay style which many people would prefer instead of killing...

EDIT:

For example, some weapon types (melee) have an alternate type of ammo (concussion for example) but you need to CHANGE to that ammo type before you can knock someone out. It stops people running around just knocking everyone out and looting because from afar they are still game to people with guns / rifles etc.. Plus the changing of ammo type takes a certain amount of time, say 5 seconds.

Chances are you are going to be hiding watching the player planning your attack so you'd have time to chance mode. Might be a way to stop it becoming a wood swinging comp :)

• Like 21

Cummon seriously?

The atmosphere of the world, the emptiness of it, and you want tazors lying around :) a piece of wood is far more logical / scriptable for Rocket.

• Like 1

I think it's a nice idea, but like you say, it would need to implemented carefully in a way so that everyone doesn't just go around bashing each other on the heads.

In terms of realism, it makes a lot of sense. If a survivor wants to steal some loot from another survivor, trying to knock them unconscious would seem like a fairly common way of achieving this goal.

• Like 3

I felt guilty killing the person (new to game) BUT I knew the chances were very high he would kill me back if I didnt.

I also needed what was in that room, like he did. You knock him out, you take what you need and you move on. Just the way it would go in MY eyes. I would just go around popping other survivals in the eyeballs every chance I got :)

But yeah some sort of delay / usage mechanic would need to be implemented first.

• Like 1

+1

I shoot-on-sight cause I got killed too often trying to co-op with other players, so knocking out would be great. You could investigate the player better (heartbeat sound on low humanity) and kill him if he's a bandit.

• Like 1

I think the best point of this would be that you can knock somebody out take his weapon and make friends with him afterwards ;).

So you can contact other players securely (of course you may want to return his weapon to him as soon as you trust him)

You can imagine the scenario... They are knocked out, they have the timer countdown of say 3 minutes... In that time you check them for dangerous weapons, whilst doing so you are talking to them VOICE via direct chat... "I'm taking these things because of bla bla bla, you being dangerous etc.."

Adds another level of gameplay.. Hope rocket notices it :D

• Like 2

I think it's a nice idea' date=' but like you say, it would need to implemented carefully in a way so that everyone doesn't just go around bashing each other on the heads.

[/quote']

Well, it's better than the current situation, where everyone just goes around shooting each other on sight :s

Knocking out people sounds good and it should be tested in some future version of the mod. Maybe the same thing could be archieved with rubber ammunition for shotguns etc.. for testing purposes of non-lethal weaponry

• Like 1

This is sweet....I thought about it, and came up with this:

When you shoot someone to the point of death, INSTEAD of them dying.....they are in shock/unconscious. If you go up to their body you will be given the option "Kill Player".

If clicked, you character will automatically pull out his weapon and shoot the other player in the face. If you DON'T kill them off, give them a 5 minute timer (during this timer you won't be bleeding out) after this timer is up they will be able to crawl/heal themselves if able. But they would be at a very very low blood level, and most likely broken bones,

Now obviously I thought about, what happens if someone just leaves the game?

They die. That way you can still loot their bodies and they can't avoid death. So when leaving the game if you are in "shock" then you would just automatically die.

I think this would also prevent snipers/campers because they would have to actually go to the person's body and kill them off within the 5 minutes.

OP what do you think?

NO

No way you would go close enough to know someone out in the real world. I also doubt knocking people out is as easy or reliable.

+1 for support.

Maybe you could attach the K/O substance to the end of a crossbow bolt?

I'm a less violent person, and really like this idea.

Hope rocket or a development member sees this!

Lots of nice ideas.. Not sure why people think it wouldnt work? I mean so far the only serious encounters I've had were up close and usually were along the lines of the victim not having any idea he was being hunted.

If you want to kill someone thats all fine and dandy. But I am sure there are numerous methods, it being tranq darts, melee weapons etc which could be changed slightly to allow a knock out.

Maybe we are the few that would prefer to knock someone out and rob them as opposed to just popping someone in the face and killing them.

I would feel less guilty knowing that the player would be able to get up afterwards and at least be at the same position they were at before (unless the zombies get to him) as opposed to him having to restart his toon in a totally unfamiliar place.

The above it aimed a little more at beginners starting out. Them being shot and killed the first day into their adventures or them being knocked out and robbed. I think they'd prefer the latter, i think the latter being more LIKELY than a kill hence adding realism :)

+1

I'd love to have beanbag rounds for shotguns or rubber bullets for whatever weapons. I don't even want to rob people, I just want a non lethal take down to stop me getting shot in the face while I wonder if they are friendly or not.

• Like 1

Dunno about tazers and clubs, maybe they are not necessary. Almost every rifle has a butt. Why not make it as weapon mode? Like single shot, burst, melee. It`s quite realistic and really handy(personal experience). :]

I had to kill another survivor just to make myself a safe getaway from supermarket. And I could simply take him out silently and without killing him.

There is a mod for arma2 already. :]

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8418

I had the same idea with blunt force (blackjack, police baton, bat of some description), or tranq darts that could be effective against hungry/thirsty survivors and less so for well fed jerks ;P

If i'm wandering the tree line looking for bandits to retire, I would LOVE to give them a tap or two on the noggin and take the rifle from limp fingers. A hop, a step and a jump and the rifle goes into the sea.

It takes all types in an online game, causing headaches for bandits (or survivors when you want) sounds like great fun!

You could implement this with all melee weapons. Make a knockout maybe 70%, so this way even the newbs that come across a melee weapon still have a chance if they encounter that wants to kill them in close quarters.

This is basically a forced 'surrender' mechanic - so I like it from that point of view, but I would also like to see a surrender mechanic that player could toggle on themselves if they find themselves in a hopeless situation - improving communication.

I mean getting close enough to knock someone out without them trying to fire on you wouldn't be so easy (which is cool, makes it a challenge) and might be more effective for lone-wolf style play - while ambushing a player from the scrub and shouting at them to go into surrender mode lets the ambusher give the 'ambushed' a chance to surrender from relative safety - if they dont enter the surrender animation they take their lives in their own hands...the ability to 'knockout' a player would also be very handy in making your escape after you have forced a surrender!

• Like 1

I think there should be rubber bullets/beanbags, i've suggested this on multiple non-lethal post.

it would be easier to implement I think, plus you can just use your m4 with it ;)

Well the knockout idea is yet again another fine ACE feature that disables the player for atleast 30 seconds allowing you if added to disarm the other survivor.

Actually...this is a really cool, unique suggestion.

Like some with a crowbar, if you hit them once in the head, it knocks them out for like 5-10 minutes

It could also have a chance making the victim bleed and a chance of having a really bad concussion that could cause blurriness and frequent black outs.