AceOfSpades (DayZ)

Noob trying to find guns

I just got the game yesterday and am loving it but I'm having a lot of trouble finding any weapons except for the hatchet any tips for finding guns or locations that aren't over run by walkers or bandits? Also whats your favorite weapon(s) that's common? Thanks you guys. :D

If you are patient, deer stands are the BEST place to get gear. Minimal danger from zombies, results can be surprising sometimes. :)

Favourite weapon that's common - the Lee Enfield.

They can be found in barns (which are generally fairly easy to loot) in rural parts of the map where you're less likely to encounter other players.

Well, most of the areas you would find guns in are going to have zombies. You can find decent common weapons in most barns. Utilize your ability to sneak and be as stealthy as possible and you can get pretty much anywhere when it comes to avoiding zombies. Player's are a whole different game though. Stay out of the main cities if you're really worried about them. I'm not sure how the community feels about this, but out of game maps are a great resource for beginners and will show you where you should go for different types of loot and also get you comfortable with the map.

Maps:

http://www.Dayzmap.info

http://dayzdb.com/map

I like the second one more, but both are very useful.

Also, the poster above mentioned the Lee Enfield. This is a very good gun, and formerly was my favorite common weapon, but be careful with it. It's a 1 shot kill which is nice, but it's extremely loud and there's a chance you'll have a swarm of zombies (and possibly a player or two) stalking you when you shoot it.

Lee Enfield is dubbed as the "Dinner Bell".

Id recommend not using it unless you HAVE to.

Id suggest looking for a barn on the forrest line of the beach. They tend to have basic weapons.

You could also butcher another survivor with your hatchet, which can either be a waste of time or very rewarding.

You might want to check out deerstands in the forests. There are usually just few Zeds, which can be avoided without having a gun. I was lucky enough yesterday, to find ton of goodies at each and every deerstand I've stumbled upon. Pretty easy IMO. (Just check if the deerstand isn't occupied by someone else already;))

Forget about deer stands, they'll give you good weapons (if you're lucky), but It will make you to explore the map without any kind of gun.

What I'd do is finding barns to get a winchester/lee enfield or sneak in cherno or elektro (those cities are full of handguns and basic gear.

Well... my usual progress is:

1) Head inland ( you can make it to a town or two with starting water or food... likely why you start with SOMETHING)

2) Check barns and/or churches if possible. decent enough gear

3) Once you have a hunting knife, weapon, some food/water... check out the deer stands for better gear

4) Hunt, forrage, make few treks into towns for water and food when i cant hunt

5) TRY and find other survivors... sometimes I even head back to the coast and look for people starting off to help out. Company is better than lonliness

I can never find any guns. Ever.

I have now invested a good 10+ hours of playtime into the game and have only found one gun, an Enfield in Cherno, where i was instantly sniped.

I have checked military buildings, many buildings that are supposed to stock handguns, even spent several hours each in elektro and cherno. I am always up to ears in mags for various guns because i never know which ones i am going to find(none). So i wander around keeping atleast one type of each mag with me if i can and praying that i find a better weapon than my fireman's axe...

:(

There are around six deerstands North/North West/North East of Kamenka, you can reach all of them without needing any additional food/water (but you'll likely find some). Military grade loot spawns here, so your likely to find a decent weapon in one of them. Then head to Zelenogorsk for food, water and tools.

Just haul ass through Cherno or Electro to pick up items. You can sneak but you're largely wasting your time by doing so until you've actually got something to lose. Honestly, how attached are you to that bandage and flashlight? On your way out of town, yeah take it easy, but if you're fresh off the beach - caution is for the birds.

cherno and electro is always empty for me incluing the church and schools/stores. the best thing i have found in my 4 or 5 hours of playing is a makarov and a shot gun with no ammo... players arent even a problem. most of them that i have seen ignored me and didnt waste ammo on someone with no gear, so i went through all of chherno and elektro without finding a damn thing ON TOP of dying multiple times to zombies purely because of no weapons...

they should start u off with a hand gun with at the very least 8 bullets. there is no reason not to. it doesn make the game "harder" it makes it annoying as fuck. ur spending like an hour running from zombies if ur a new player and where as the vets just go straight for the good guns.

so basically its get experience, learn where gun spawns are or gtfo. this game really hates new players with a passion.

FYI, that is horrible if this game wants to attract and KEEP new players. have it atleast somewhat noob/begginer friendly, especially considering there is no tutorial what so ever in game. i honestly dont see any harm with starting off with a weapon of some kind, even if its just a melee weapon to fend off zombies.

You just hit the bad respawn timing for items but am pretty sure that you can find at least hatchet or crowbar in your second house u visit. When you get one of this melees, zombies are lesser problem.

If you are not stealthy enough or accidentally pick zombies aggro then try this.

Every open house with u inside and hatchet in your hand can be a fortress Vs zombies. Sometimes, if i wont to clean area from zombies (even if i have a gun), i just run out of house, collect zombies as much as i can and than get back inside and kill this poor souls one by one. Monkey zombies (jumping zombies) are one swing kill (ofc if you aim correctly), standing zombies can be a pain but just keep distance. Crawlers are also one swing kill. Just pick house with more space so u can avoid zombies more easily. Best to pick up some industrial buildings for that tactic. Also check dead dead zombies :-) They can have some good items (bandages, foog, ammo).

PS: Sorry for my english. Its not my native language but i hope u will understand at least half of my words.

Two words: Farm House.

In this game, farm house isn't a description of a type of house you should be on the lookout for, it's a suggestion to go to one of several specific locations on the map which are designated farm house.

Farm houses provide several distinct advantages for getting armed when you're new:

1) High chance of rifle or shotgun or sometimes crossbow.

2) Multiple weapon spawns to increase chances further.

3) Not located on the fucking coast where you're going to get murdered for your bandage.

4) Very low zombie density. Very easy to get in and out. Not many to kill if you pull them.

5) Loot quality isn't high enough for better players to bother with usually so low chance of running into bandits.

Get thee to a farm house and let your weapon problems be a thing of the past.