Sign in to follow this  
piffaroni

whats the max online players a server can have without lag

I have been kicked off my server provider forced to buy my own dedi

on my other provider I had a 50 slot server, but when 50 people were on it, it would lag, do to I guess more games being on the server

now im dedicated and wanted to know, realistically how many people can be on without lag or dsync

It reallllly depends on hardware and bandwidth...

The max players you can have in ArmA is something like 408~500

• Like 1

It reallllly depends on hardware and bandwidth...

The max players you can have in ArmA is something like 408~500

what kind of hard ware would i need. so far i rented this for the month

Technology:

Ivy Bridge

CPU:

Intel i5 (4 cores / 4 Threads)

Frequency:

3.1GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

RAM:

8 GB DDR3

Hard disk:

2 x 1TB SATA2

Bandwidth:

100Mbps - 5TB /mois

Bandwidth:

100Mbps

That's going to be a problem. Recommended is 1 GBPS. I reckon you're going to run a private hive? That's going to take less than 1 GBPS, still might be funny desyncwise.

what kind of hard ware would i need. so far i rented this for the month

Technology:

Ivy Bridge

CPU:

Intel i5 (4 cores / 4 Threads)

Frequency:

3.1GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

RAM:

8 GB DDR3

Hard disk:

2 x 1TB SATA2

Bandwidth:

100Mbps - 5TB /mois

....I'm not really qualified to answer that... um... 3.8Ghz sounds goot for hosting, same with DDR3. 100mbp/s sounds a little slow... I think my laptop's wifi card is faster than that.

....I'm not really qualified to answer that... um... 3.8Ghz sounds goot for hosting, same with DDR3. 100mbp/s sounds a little slow... I think my laptop's wifi card is faster than that.

go to speedtest.com and post your results.

I seriously doubt you can reach 100mbps on a home line

3047698383.png

this was my test from my home good, but no where near true 100 mbps

go to speedtest.com and post your results.

I seriously doubt you can reach 100mbps on a home line

3047698383.png

this was my test from my home good, but no where near true 100 mbps

That depends on where you're located. The US has pretty poor internet speeds. In places like China and Japan it's not uncommon for people to have 100mb/s connections in their homes, I think their national average is something like 60mb/s.

I think Virgin are offering 100mb/s in the UK now too. I was getting 32mb/s down while paying for 30mb with them a couple of years back, so I don't doubt that you get what you pay for either.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

That depends on where you're located. The US has pretty poor internet speeds. In places like China and Japan it's not uncommon for people to have 100mb/s connections in their homes, I think their national average is something like 60mb/s.

I think Virgin are offering 100mb/s in the UK now too. I was getting 32mb/s down while paying for 30mb with them a couple of years back, so I don't doubt that you get what you pay for either.

still would like to see someone post a true 100mbps download and upload from a home line...

You guys know there's a difference between your home-WiFi and internet connection speeds? Of course a WiFi-Router has about 300 MBit/s, but that doesn't represent your internetconnection at all.

To also add to this conversation: he's talking about that he has a dedicated server he wants to run a DayZ-server on and the specs are all fine to do that. His connectionspeed might be a bit slow to do that, though. And it will lead to desync if you're trying 50 slots on 100 MBit/s. It also isn't that unlikely that that actually is his internet-connectionspeed considering it's not homeinternet - it's a dedicated server run by a hosting company, which makes it completely different.

Companies get different connectionspeeds than normal home-customers. For obvious reasons, such as hosting websites, gameservers, voiceservers. What do you think you would be able to manage with your usual 6 MBit/s home-internet like I get in good old "we-have-only-potato-internet"-Germany.

• Like 1

You guys know there's a difference between your home-WiFi and internet connection speeds? Of course a WiFi-Router has about 300 MBit/s, but that doesn't represent your internetconnection at all.

To also add to this conversation: he's talking about that he has a dedicated server he wants to run a DayZ-server on and the specs are all fine to do that. His connectionspeed might be a bit slow to do that, though. And it will lead to desync if you're trying 50 slots on 100 MBit/s. It also isn't that unlikely that that actually is his internet-connectionspeed considering it's not homeinternet - it's a dedicated server run by a hosting company, which makes it completely different.

Companies get different connectionspeeds than normal home-customers. For obvious reasons, such as hosting websites, gameservers, voiceservers. What do you think you would be able to manage with your usual 6 MBit/s home-internet like I get in good old "we-have-only-potato-internet"-Germany.

yes its from a true hosting company. So back to my question at hand, how many players can I get on the server? considering the facts

15 Mbits/sec are enough to run my 3 dayzmod games, so 100Mbs is fine. 5TB/month is fine too.

The key is CPU GHz of a single core, since the ArmA2 engine is poorly multithreaded (1 core is used at 100% and is the bottleneck).

With my "Xeon® CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz", I can run only 52 slots per server, above that the server crashes.

So with your core i5 3.1GHz, you can expect quite the same thing. You can cross your finger for the "turbo boost" thing, but it's only if the CPU is cold and only few cores (let's say 1 core) are working.

• Like 1

15 Mbits/sec 

Are you sure it's that? Would be the first time I hear it's working. There's a difference between MBps and Mbps.

15 Mbits/sec are enough to run my 3 dayzmod games, so 100Mbs is fine. 5TB/month is fine too.

The key is CPU GHz of a single core, since the ArmA2 engine is poorly multithreaded (1 core is used at 100% and is the bottleneck).

With my "Xeon® CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz", I can run only 52 slots per server, above that the server crashes.

So with your core i5 3.1GHz, you can expect quite the same thing. You can cross your finger for the "turbo boost" thing, but it's only if the CPU is cold and only few cores (let's say 1 core) are working.

yes but you said you have 3 dayzmod games going on that.

I will only have 1 game 1 server

Are you sure it's that? Would be the first time I hear it's working. There's a difference between MBps and Mbps.

yes: 95% of time, total bandwitdh is lower than 15 megabits per second, and I run 3 servers on the same machine.
  • Like 2

yes but you said you have 3 dayzmod games going on that.

I will only have 1 game 1 server

With 1 server runnning on it, the problems I explained are the same: 1 core at 100%.

The difference is that you can hope that turbo boost will eventually works for you.

yes: 95% of time, total bandwitdh is lower than 15 megabits per second, and I run 3 servers on the same machine.

For whoever claimed 100mbps isn't enough to run a DayZ server, here is a bandwidth graph from our entire Los Angeles datacenter, which runs roughly 600 servers.

http://i.imgur.com/6sirDll.png

As you can see, an average of only 89mbps is required to run 600 active DayZ game servers, with spikes of up to 200mbps.

Edited by ersan191
  • Like 1

Yeah, but your servers are offline more than they're actually online.

• Like 4

so if we do the math if you run 3 servers with 50 people on it, then I should be able to have 150 players on my server?

so if we do the math if you run 3 servers with 50 people on it, then I should be able to have 150 players on my server?

No because the server will have issues with cpu not bandwidth issues if you have 150 people on the one instance

ArmA is not very good at using more then one core  

• Like 2

ST is awesome (At Least there Control panel) :P

• Like 1

Dont understand what you mean by that Ersan 

Just examples of our servers having significantly more uptime than the guy insulting us - I was being petty.

Just examples of our servers having significantly more uptime than the guy insulting us - I was being petty.

Ja but not my servers mate 

i have said nothing about your services you offer 

• Like 1

Ja but not my servers mate 

i have said nothing about your services you offer 

??

I just clicked the link in the guy's signature.

I'm confused.