Sign in to follow this  
geryon

Creating a larger map for Dayz?

Is it possible to make the map of Chernarus larger?  I'm curious because I haven't seen a mod of the mod which extends the footage.  If not then that explains why.  If it is possible is it simply no one has done it because of the effort to make a well thought out map to be too onerous?

I've seen various discussions on standalone with the topic of larger map come across frequently.  I would seriously play a private server that remains true to the vanilla but with increased square footage.

I've tried other mods of Dayz and usually I'll play it for a week to a couple of months but I always seem to come back to the vanilla version.  

I realize a larger map isn't that sexy but when I'm on vanilla and playing survivor I yearn for an much more expansive terrain where as a player you are just a speck in the vastness of the country side.  Meh maybe I've played too much and I'm just rambling.   Sometimes I envy new players who get to experience Dayz for the first time.  Everything is new, unfamiliar and scary.  As an admin I sometimes get annoyed with impatient with new players who complain about the game's unfamiliarity.  

Edited by Geryon
  • Like 2

Don't think you can edit Chernarus without the unbinarized version. You can make your own map pretty much as large as you want but it might not be very detailed. Visitor 3 lets me enter grid size - 4096x4096, cell size = 1000m, that's 16777216 square kilometers, about the size of Russia. However it would just be completely flat if it loaded at all.

Ah okay thanks.  Wow pretty big map possibilities but I guess it would take too long to make a large good map.  Let's all wait for stand alone.

People talked about and idea for the mod or SA where if you reach the edge of the map... perhaps in a vehicle you would have a loading screen and end up on a different map. You know from one of the other mods. That would be cool. 

Definitely a good idea for SA. Not only will it reduce the chances of coming across the noob KoSers near the coast, but it would make vehicles less OP, add more places to hide your base, ect ect

And there could also be more players per server!