Sign in to follow this  
VinViper

Arma2 or Arma3

Hi all

New to forums.

Been looking into DayZ, looks a great mod and game.  I'd love to play and at max visuals and settings (my rig should handle)

I don't have Arma2.  I've read about Zoombies mod working with Arma3 to give you DayZ on that game.  But it seems a dependency is still there for and you need Arma2.

I don't really want to have to by Arma2 and 3 to play the mod at maz quality and settings and well, i'd like Arma3 for Arma3 purposes.

Any way around this? 

Cheers

Vin

Arma 2 / DayZ looks fantastic at max settings, but even for great rigs it's not very well optimised and regardless may have some struggle points.

I recommend the Arma 2 version of DayZ as it is the official DayZ, and if you're worried about visuals - no need. It looks fantastic.

You do not need Arma 3 for DayZ max settings. The mod on Arma 3 is mostly a port and remake.

Arma 2 and OA are frequently on sale, and are great games! The mod is just another aspect to it.

Might you want to wait for DayZ standalone if you are only interested in ARMA for DayZ?

Edited by Mayuyu
  • Like 2

Zoombies is a waste of time, I wouldn't bother with it.

I'd just decide whether you're more interested in DayZ or ArmA and then make your decision. You can always buy the other game later if you feel like it.

As above it does take a really powerful system to be able to max out the ArmA games. Just because you can run BF3 maxed out does not mean you'll be able to run ArmA 2 or 3 similarly.

• Like 1

Quick responses, thanks.  Complete Arma2 set available on Steam for £25, guess i'll go with that and see you in DayZ...

• Like 1

Zoombies is a waste of time, I wouldn't bother with it.

I'd just decide whether you're more interested in DayZ or ArmA and then make your decision. You can always buy the other game later if you feel like it.

As above it does take a really powerful system to be able to max out the ArmA games. Just because you can run BF3 maxed out does not mean you'll be able to run ArmA 2 or 3 similarly.

Is a 1100T overclocked to 3.9ghz, 2x6970's 2gb ram per card xfire and 8gb DDR3 sufficient? ;-)

Is a 1100T overclocked to 3.9ghz, 2x6970's 2gb ram per card xfire and 8gb DDR3 sufficient? ;-)

Nope, probably not. You'll run the mod fine, but not maxed out.

ArmA 2 hates Phenom CPUs for whatever reason and you're much better off with a single graphics card, running SLi/crossfire setups just causes issues.

You'll probably run with most settings on 'high', anti-aliasing relatively low or disabled, object detail set to anything up to 'normal' and post-process effects disabled.

To put things in perspective I'm running an i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz, 8Gb Kingston HyperX RAM @ 1600Mhz and a GTX 780 and I run with everything set to 'very high', object detail set to 'normal' and post-process effects disabled in 1920x1080 with 40-60 FPS.

Edited by mZLY

Hmm, if its still that poorly optimised, may give it a miss.  Annoys me when I can't play games as they should look on a decent spec'd rig :-)

What's the object detail affect, are we talking character models here?

Hmm, if its still that poorly optimised, may give it a miss.  Annoys me when I can't play games as they should look on a decent spec'd rig :-)

What's the object detail affect, are we talking character models here?

Object detail only affects the amount of grass loaded, it doesn't actually make the game look any worse but does significantly affect performance; which is the main reason that it's one of the first settings that I'd recommend dropping if you're looking to gain a few extra FPS.

With lower object detail the game doesn't render all the bushes or some other little objects further away so less objects when you're not zooming.

I'd wait for the next devblog at least to hear any news.

I took the plunge and hit buy on Steam.  Downloading now, hopefully should be checking out DayZ in a few hours...

Honestly ArmA 2 > ArmA 3. Atleast for me. ArmA 3 is too futuristic for me, I rather current military hardware :P

Dekkymane, on 09 Oct 2013 - 4:50 PM, said:

Honestly ArmA 2 > ArmA 3. Atleast for me. ArmA 3 is too futuristic for me, I rather current military hardware :P

Good feedback, im not into the futuristic warfare stuff either, prefer the current hardware, more immersive and believable

The feeling in Arma 2 isnt even close to Arma 3 Zoombies.

Theres something about the gameplay in Arma 2 that is unique when you walk around and just the gameplay overall, controls, inventory etc. 

bearbeat, on 09 Oct 2013 - 5:24 PM, said:

The feeling in Arma 2 isnt even close to Arma 3 Zoombies.

Theres something about the gameplay in Arma 2 that is unique when you walk around and just the gameplay overall, controls, inventory etc. 

As in Arma 2 is more atmospheric?

Ok, so I've installed Arma, played a scenario, all settings at very high except view distance, which is at 6k and it all runs smooth...

DayZ installing rapidly...

I'd say for the most part Arma 3 is about as close to "current" military hardward that there is.  I'm not saying every enlisted man out on the battlefield is decked out with the kinda stuff you see but most all of it IS out there even if only in testing phases atm.

As in Arma 2 is more atmospheric?

Yeah, I'd definitely say ArmA 2 is more atmospheric and gritty, plus I miss all the M4 and AK variants in ArmA 3.

ArmA 3 is a good game in it's own right, they cleaned up a lot of things since its predecessor and I'm sure the campaigns will be good once they're out, but there's just something about ArmA 2...

Ok, so I've installed Arma, played a scenario, all settings at very high except view distance, which is at 6k and it all runs smooth...

It's a different story once you get online and you're playing on a server that's got 1000+ AI zombies with 50 other players running around unfortunately, lol. I can run the campaigns completely maxed out, render distance and all.

Edited by mZLY

Hello, did you play DayZ? Let us know what you think and what happened!