sanctifieddevil

Is duping a ban worthy? [1.8]

I have confirmed that a group of players are duping on my server using in game bugs to do so. Now, I understand that this is unfair but my problem is, is utilizing in game bugs to their advantage a offense deemed ban worthy on the public hive?

Many admins will ban for it.

To be fair to them though you need to be up-front before hand and make the rules for your server clear.  Personally I'd just warn them that you don't tolerate it on you server and if they carry on then ban them, at least that gives them half a chance to mend their ways.

If you have clear rules in place already and they're breaking them then ban away.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Yes.

Exploiting is cheating, cheating should be a bannable offence.

They know what they are doing, they should suffer for it - that's a more basic one.

• Like 1

My verdict?

2ahgk5e.gif

Duping was one of the biggest problems on my old server. It got to the point that it was an immediate ban for anyone caught doing it.

• Like 4

I had warned them about doing so WHILE they were doing it and they literally just laughed. Just wanted to be clear on what direction the community though before banning.

• Like 1

I had warned them about doing so WHILE they were doing it and they literally just laughed. Just wanted to be clear on what direction the community though before banning.

In that case it's a straight up ban. Enjoy =).

Most peeps like to play on servers where admins crack down on people that combat log, dupe etc. so don't feel bad about it.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I had warned them about doing so WHILE they were doing it and they literally just laughed.

That right there, Ban hammer.

Swing that thing man, exercise full force of it and use them as an example.

• Like 1

Many admins will ban for it.

To be fair to them though you need to be up-front before hand and make the rules for your server clear.  Personally I'd just warn them that you don't tolerate it on you server and if they carry on then ban them, at least that gives them half a chance to mend their ways.

If you have clear rules in place already and they're breaking them then ban away.

I'd say no cheating, exploiting, hacking, and dicking around are all given rules for games, except maybe 7 Chin Gin.

I'd say no cheating, exploiting, hacking, and dicking around are all given rules for games, except maybe 7 Chin Gin.

Agreed. There is an unwritten (and usually a written) code in games. You just don't exploit or cheat.

Agreed. There is an unwritten (and usually a written) code in games. You just don't exploit or cheat.

Unless, and in the SOLE EXCEPTIONS OF, you're either in a singleplayer game (like Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, etc) and have no personal qualms against it, or you are playing a cooperative game with another player who 100% agrees to condone such actions. Those are the only two cases in which you aren't a massive dick for cheating.

I've always found this odd. Aren't "exploits" in games called cheating to remove the blame from the developers for allowing these to be possible?

I'd say you should warn them first, and then do something like forcekill them if possible. If they continue, shove the banhammer up their rectum.

(Protip: My nickname IRL is "Bannerhammer" because... well. I forget. It's been years since I got it."

I've always found this odd. Aren't "exploits" in games called cheating to remove the blame from the developers for allowing these to be possible?

Hahaha

What about the car (IRL) ? the constructor is responsible of all overtake speed limit allowed ?

In the life there are RULES

Do not mix a bug exploit unexpected and Abuse

• Like 1

Hahaha

What about the car (IRL) ? the constructor is responsible of all overtake speed limit allowed ?

In the life there are RULES

Do not mix a bug exploit unexpected and Abuse

Yes, if the car manufacturer made a faulty car, they should be responsible. Why not? Say, if someone pressed a window switch and used the cigarette lighter at the same time and the car suddenly accelerated out of control, that would be the fault of the manufacturer. Same as in a game. If it is possible for someone to do something within the confines of the game's mechanics, this is not cheating. This is a programming error and should be fixed.

Yes, if the car manufacturer made a faulty car, they should be responsible. Why not? Say, if someone pressed a window switch and used the cigarette lighter at the same time and the car suddenly accelerated out of control, that would be the fault of the manufacturer. Same as in a game. If it is possible for someone to do something within the confines of the game's mechanics, this is not cheating. This is a programming error and should be fixed.

if you find a bug that can be used to exploit you report it and stop abusing it.. if you continue exploiting it you deserve a ban

Edited by moriak
  • Like 1

ban..they'll soon find another server to do their dirty things

A better example would be that you just bought a new house next to a bank which is undergoing renovations.

While you are moving stuff around in your new house you find a large hole in the wall of the basement that they forgot to cover up - it leads right into the bank vault full of money.

Yes, it is the fault of the bank for not correctly ensuring that the repairs were properly completed but it's certainly not acceptable for you to take the money and is quite clearly wrong both ethically and legally.

In-game it is without a doubt unethical to abuse a bug for your own advantage and using the exploit to circumnavigate obvious mechanics is against the rules - it is pretty clear that the duplicated items are an unintended consequence, that's pretty clear.

It's something that you would report to the bank (So it could be repaired) and not take advantage of the quite clearly wrong situation.

• Like 1

if your car accelerates after using the cigarette lighter you take it to the service, you don't continue doing it

if you find a bug that can be used to exploit you report it and stop abusing it.. if you continue exploiting it you deserve a ban

That's a bad analogy. If money fell out from under the dash every time you did it, would you keep doing it? Is it your fault? Or is it the fault of the manufacturer who put the ATM in the dash? People aren't going to use exploits that are bad for them. If you don't want people using exploits, don't program them into the software. They are bugs.

A better example would be that you just bought a new house next to a bank which is undergoing renovations.

While you are moving stuff around in your new house you find a large hole in the wall of the basement that they forgot to cover up - it leads right into the bank vault full of money.

Yes, it is the fault of the bank for not correctly ensuring that the repairs were properly completed but it's certainly not acceptable for you to take the money and is quite clearly wrong both ethically and legally.

In-game it is without a doubt unethical to abuse a bug for your own advantage and using the exploit to circumnavigate obvious mechanics is against the rules - it is pretty clear that the duplicated items are an unintended consequence, that's pretty clear.

It's something that you would report to the bank (So it could be repaired) and not take advantage of the quite clearly wrong situation.

Not the same thing. Did the bank put the hole there? The developers programmed the exploits. They should remove them. Taking the money is stealing. You are not stealing from anyone using an exploit.

I don't use exploits personally. I never spend that much time trying to find them but people should not be banned for doing something within a game that allows it. 

Not the same thing. Did the bank put the hole there? The developers programmed the exploits. They should remove them. Taking the money is stealing. You are not stealing from anyone using an exploit.

I don't use exploits personally. I never spend that much time trying to find them but people should not be banned for doing something within a game that allows it. 

Say the bank put the hole there while renovating and forgot to correct it.

What a load of nonsense just trying to justify shitty behaviour.

There are some minor exploits that have no bearing on a game but the clear abuse from duping is not one of them.

Anything that destroys the balance of the game or its economy is and should be a bannable offence, you are not 'stealing' but you are completely devaluing whatever you duplicate.

If it's clearly an unintended side-effect you should report it, it's pretty obvious that if you are doing something that shouldn't have an effect on an item and you suddenly have 2 for no reason it's not intended.

World of Warcraft is the perfect example of what the rules should be concerning duping, if you accidentally duplicate something by mistake you can report it for it to get patched. If you abuse it you either lose the items/money that you duplicated or get banned. 

• Like 1