Sign in to follow this  
BrightVisionVids

Lag Spike on a good PC

So I got DayZ the other day and I love it. The only problem is I get fairly regular lag spikes. It goes from 50-60 FPS down to around 20 for a moment causing the game to lag for a brief moment and it happens fairly regularly. I think it might be worse when more players are in the server but I'm not sure. I have Virgin fibre optic broadband with 30meg dl, 2meg upload and an average ping of 15-20ms. I'm running the game on the following specs...

Intel I5 quad core at 3.4ghz

8gb of DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 VTX3D 1GB GDDR5

Game running of a 500gb seagate hybrid drive

I've played with every possible setting going from disabling them (where possible) to changing them through the various options and I still get this issue. Can anyone suggest any causes and/or fixes for this? It'd be greatly appreciated :)

Has your Hdd got any space on it? That may be the problem seeing as it is only 500gb.

I do have the same problem my PC is not that pro compared to yours but I get 30-40 fps locked then büm it is 12 and even on lowest graphics it is same!

Has your Hdd got any space on it? That may be the problem seeing as it is only 500gb.

My HDD has 235 gig free but there are a lot of games and programs on it.

Is it happening when you turn ormove around? Could be your HDD in this case because it either is fragmented too much or just doesn't send enough data. Some players don't experience these problems at all with HDDs, a new install makes everything run smooth. A SSD with a high data transfer rate is one possible solution. When i stiwched from HDD to SDD it was different as day and night.

With 8GB of ram you can load like 4GB worth of pbo files straight from your ram with ramdisk.  That will speed some stuff up until you get around to getting an SSD.  If you are even a moderate gamer I would recommend an SSD.