neosky5k

DayZ Community afraid of the Dark?

I find it weird that we don’t have easy to use headtorch’s in Dayz.  Hopefully in the Standalone, there will be more and varied flashlights.  I myself developed a bid of a flashlight obsession after a security guard at my work got shot one night. I could only see where a bullet ricocheted of his head and you could see the white of his skull.  Still alive amazingly, I at first thought it was his brains I could see.  I didn’t realise that he was also shot in his neck and chest, since he was wearing a black jacket.  He died the next day unfortunately, what is weird is that he regained consciousness before the paramedics arrived.  He couldn’t speak, but was strong enough to stand up and I had to constantly tell him to lie down and wait for the paramedics.

Since then I hate not being able to see things clearly.  I have a LED keychain that I always carry on me.  It’s very bright with 96 hours battery life.  I have a variable brightness headtorch in my backpack that usually travels with me.  A cigarette lighter combined with a flashlight.  A pen with flashlight and laser attached (I gave plenty of these away as gifts).  Army knife with flashlight. Spare headtorch in my car. Torch with a magnetic base and a twisty neck.  And I make my girlfriend carry one in her handbag together with the pepper spray.

Now I might have slightly more than average, but in an apocalypse it should not be hard to find a decent headtorch and another flashlight that you could easily tape to your gun barrel.  Maybe then combine it with red cellophane to make it work better with natural night vision.

Edited by Erv_za

How many M16A2s have you seen in firehalls?

If UN troops hit the ground there will be flares with them. Heck, ALICE packs are obsolete U.S. equipment.

Road Flares are not uncommon in Europe. In fact, there was an incident in 2012:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/6/15/3089576/euro-2012-soccer-tournament

None and that is why in DayZ SA there will be no weapons in firehalls. If you find a weapon at all you can call yourself lucky.

Why should UN troops hit the ground in chernarus? They will be pretty much bothered with their own problem. And sure, maybe you can find a road flare in a military base but I never said it would be impossible. Anyways I am pretty sure like not even 1% of chernarus population has road flares in their homes and the supermarkets probably neither.

And what has a soccer tournament to do with how common road flares are? Road flares in soccer matches are illegal and the people who had these surely didn't buy them in a supermarket.

None and that is why in DayZ SA there will be no weapons in firehalls. If you find a weapon at all you can call yourself lucky.

Why should UN troops hit the ground in chernarus? They will be pretty much bothered with their own problem. And sure, maybe you can find a road flare in a military base but I never said it would be impossible. Anyways I am pretty sure like not even 1% of chernarus population has road flares in their homes and the supermarkets probably neither.

And what has a soccer tournament to do with how common road flares are? Road flares in soccer matches are illegal and the people who had these surely didn't buy them in a supermarket.

Were we originally talking about Stand Alone? No... we were talking about the Mod. In the mod it is dark and most of the time it is not so dark you can't see. When it is you have tools given to you by the game to still get around. What gear may or may not exist in Chernarus is relevant, but not when the devs have already decided that in their little mythical location Road Flares are available and apparently more common than hunting rifles and matches. 

You are now obfuscating the point by digressing into, "But there shouldn't be the things the devs gave you." There are and you can use them or choose not to. Now, if you don't you will face periods of night where it is far too dark to see... just like in real life. This would be why I have a keychain flashlight and flashlight app on my cellphone. 

Some of the best DayZ time I have had was in night servers, funnily enough the friendliest also!

Group play at night is very good! Should be rotating both day and night on all servers, no excuses, would lessen kids playing and shooting everything up!

Were we originally talking about Stand Alone? No... we were talking about the Mod. In the mod it is dark and most of the time it is not so dark you can't see. When it is you have tools given to you by the game to still get around. What gear may or may not exist in Chernarus is relevant, but not when the devs have already decided that in their little mythical location Road Flares are available and apparently more common than hunting rifles and matches. 

You are now obfuscating the point by digressing into, "But there shouldn't be the things the devs gave you." There are and you can use them or choose not to. Now, if you don't you will face periods of night where it is far too dark to see... just like in real life. This would be why I have a keychain flashlight and flashlight app on my cellphone. 

We were talking about how it is in the mod, and how it is supposed to be in the SA.

1 hour pitchblack? Well, that's one hour all the players will play on another server.

If you play with HDR on minimal settings, it will be darker than on medium or high. I never knew this, I have to play on basic settings and it is pitch black. setting it to medium allowed me to see what all my mates were seeing lol.

Also an hour is hardly a long time to play in the dark ffs.

I was talking about how it is in the mod.

You were attempting to alter the subject to avoid my arguments by shifting the goalpost to SA. First it was, "Well, it is designed so badly you can't." which I have countered by pointing out that you can and people do. Then it was "It's not realistically dark." and "People can see in pitch black without light because I said they can contrary to scientific fact.". Now it is , "Well, in the SA it won't be dark." and "Flares don't exist in Chernarus even though they do in game so we should ignore the tools the devs gave us and just not play at night." Do you have a real argument with merit?

I use flares, I am smart about them, but I do use them.

Is it to dark in game ? No Not really.

if it looks like its going to be a overly dark night I start hoarding food and water, i gather some Chem sticks and wait it out inside a building preferably one without windows.. If I have to move cross country well I just grab a flare and run.. When I get to a town I just make choices, but I use the tools I have available to me. To dark to me means a challenge and a problem that must be solved so I solve it. That's just my two cents.

Edited by Tanuis

I was talking about how it is in the mod.

You were attempting to alter the subject to avoid my arguments by shifting the goalpost to SA. First it was, "Well, it is designed so badly you can't." which I have countered by pointing out that you can and people do. Then it was "It's not realistically dark." and "People can see in pitch black without light because I said they can contrary to scientific fact.". Now it is , "Well, in the SA it won't be dark." and "Flares don't exist in Chernarus even though they do in game so we should ignore the tools the devs gave us and just not play at night." Do you have a real argument with merit?

Bullsh*t xD

I need an argument for what? For an absolutly subjectiv matter? Troll someone else, mate.

As you probably know by now, I don't give a single f*ck about the mod. It is no survival game and it never was. It had a good concept which was enjoyable. But it is nothing like the game was meant to be.

You see, I don't avoid your imaginary arguments, I just don't care about the mod. What is important and what is the 100% priority in this forum is the future, not the past. I don't care about a sh*tty mod that never worked out. I actually care about the game.

What you are actually doing is turning this discussion into an irrelevant subject matter. What do we care about how it was in the mod? We won't change it and we don't need to because zero f*ck is given about the mod as soon as SA releases.

Bullsh*t xD

I need an argument for what? For an absolutly subjectiv matter? Troll someone else, mate.

As you probably know by now, I don't give a single f*ck about the mod. It is no survival game and it never was. It had a good concept which was enjoyable. But it is nothing like the game was meant to be.

You see, I don't avoid your imaginary arguments, I just don't care about the mod. What is important and what is the 100% priority in this forum is the future, not the past. I don't care about a sh*tty mod that never worked out. I actually care about the game.

What you are actually doing is turning this discussion into an irrelevant subject matter. What do we care about how it was in the mod? We won't change it and we don't need to because zero f*ck is given about the mod as soon as SA releases.

It's not really subjective, there is a valid objective discussion going on about night time on the Mod. Why are we talking about the Mod? Because that is what we are playing and what is actually relevant today. 

Notice the topic didn't say, "Will people play during the nighttime on the SA?". Heck YOU spent several pages having a reasonable discussion about the mod. Suddenly though you only care about something we are not even able to accurately judge because I don't think either of us have had a chance to play SA at night with all the loot and crafting enabled? 

The topic was not about what WILL be but what currently is and why players don't play in the dark. You started out that way and I have to agree with some of the conclusions you came to but a few of your premises are just flawed such as people actually seeing in the absence of light and how much light is available on a moonless overcast night away from a city's light pollution, then suddenly you want to switch topics. A suspicious man might think you have lost faith in your other argument but can't admit you are wrong and so what to shift over to something you think you can be more right about. 

It's not really subjective, there is a valid objective discussion going on about night time on the Mod. Why are we talking about the Mod? Because that is what we are playing and what is actually relevant today. 

Notice the topic didn't say, "Will people play during the nighttime on the SA?". Heck YOU spent several pages having a reasonable discussion about the mod. Suddenly though you only care about something we are not even able to accurately judge because I don't think either of us have had a chance to play SA at night with all the loot and crafting enabled? 

It is 100% really subjective. Believe it or not. Actually we were not a single time on the topic, because it didn't say "What is better, dark nights or realistic nights?", it said wether people are afraid of it or not. We were never talking about it, and the answere just is "No". Well, topic done.

So please stop this sh*t. We were not talking about the mod and we were not talking about the SA. First we talked about how realistic these ultra dark nights are, which is unclear even now. After that we talked about road flares and how common they would be in real life. Then you said something about the firestation.

Remember, we were talking about bad game design before that. So, I said "It is unauthentic and a bad design decision". You said "Can you find a m16 in a firestation" I responded "In DayZ SA that is not the case" and then you tell me "We were not talking about the SA!!!".

We were talking about game design and what is good and bad. Well, as Dean is changing everything you use as an argument, it kind of looks like your arguments are even crushed by the developers themselfs, because they found out theirselfs that, like I said, it is a bad game design element.

As a kind of defense mechanism you are now trying to use it against me, because it actually invalidated your arguments. As soon as we start to talk about the SA, all your points are useless. And what exactly are we going here? If you want pointless discussions about the history, you can go and talk to someone else. Because me and thousands of other players do not even play on night servers anymore.

When stand alone is released the Mod is history. Till then it is DayZ and relevant to the discussion. 

Now, to humor you, I have not seen where Dean stated he was changing the light level for the SA and it is possible I missed it. could you point me to the quote or a video with a timestamp for the statement?

When stand alone is released the Mod is history. Till then it is DayZ and relevant to the discussion. 

Now, to humor you, I have not seen where Dean stated he was changing the light level for the SA and it is possible I missed it. could you point me to the quote or a video with a timestamp for the statement?

You kidding me, I won't search every interview and reddit post just to satisfy you.

Why do you decide if DayZ is relevant to the discussion? We are talking about a feature and if it is good or not. Zero f*ck is given about in which game it is. The SA argument was to point out that even Dean sees it as an stupid feature.

He can do what he wants, if he doesn't change it player will just avoid darkness, why would they do otherwise? If you have a character in the SA it is like you have really something to lose not like  in the mod. In the mod you can get the best weapon in no time, so it is not important if you die or not. In the SA you will be very happen if you have any weapon with some ammo and if you once got that you won't risk it just for darkness fun.

People will even more tend to play on day servers because it is even more dangerous. That is why it is a bad design, the same with first person.

Edited by Wayze

Wait I honestly thought that night time didn't exist in 1.8 as some sort of bug. You guys are saying you found servers with night time? 

I'd say about 87% of populated maps/servers don't have a time setting...

The fundamental issue is that most players, with the exception of the few newbies who have just joined, will be playing with night vision googles; and so the only functional difference between night and day is that daytime is in colour and uses the full screen, whereas nighttime is green and you peer through an oval window. Aces High used to have a night setting, but people simply logged out and waited, and with DayZ the players are just going to move to a different server.

This is one of those things were the vast silent majority have voted, and they don't agree with you. As in a democracy your options are to either passionately convince the silent majority that your cause is right for them, and worth fighting for - or you can try to take control behind the scenes and impose your solution, with the problem that your grip will loosen eventually. And when it does you'll be consigned to oblivion. They'll tear down your statues and rub you out of the history books.

You kidding me, I won't search every interview and reddit post just to satisfy you.

The SA argument was to point out that even Dean sees it as an stupid feature.

Except you are lacking any evidence he stated it was a stupid feature. I looked for a bit but decided I didn't need to since I wasn't the one trying to use what he stated as an argument. I don't need to search out your evidence backing your claims and until you do it will be ignored as valid. 

If 97 of 100 people do not like the way you talk to them, you just tell them "Oh, it's your fault, you f*ckers do not understand me!"?.

You are insinuating that 97/100 people hate playing DayZ in the dark...could you provide some evidence of this?  A lot of DayZ players like dark nights.  Unfortunately the direction DayZ has gone with private hives that have 100000+ vehicles, 24/7 day, spawn with DMR, etc, have drawn a large crowd of casual PvP players that have fallen in love with a game that is nothing like the DayZ that Dean created.  Most people that I know that like DayZ at it's core, which means a brutal and unforgiving survival game that can and will have PvP elements, like the idea of playing in the pitch black of night.

I've never played "Slender Man" just watched it on some YouTube vids. But using the same argument of some people I guess that would be a better game if played in full daylight. While were at it let's edit all the dark scenes in the movie Pitch Black cause I hate it when I can't see the scenery. Oh and yes I will be setting up a website to petition Disney Corporation to turn on all and brighter lights for their attractions at the theme parks, such as the Haunted Mansion, Peter Pans Flight and Space Mountain just to name a few.

You are insinuating that 97/100 people hate playing DayZ in the dark...could you provide some evidence of this?  A lot of DayZ players like dark nights.  Unfortunately the direction DayZ has gone with private hives that have 100000+ vehicles, 24/7 day, spawn with DMR, etc, have drawn a large crowd of casual PvP players that have fallen in love with a game that is nothing like the DayZ that Dean created.  Most people that I know that like DayZ at it's core, which means a brutal and unforgiving survival game that can and will have PvP elements, like the idea of playing in the pitch black of night.

Provide some evidence? Don't be childish, you can see it for yourself.

Provide some evidence? Don't be childish, you can see it for yourself.

One might argue that those are not "DayZ Players" despite the fact they are playing DayZ. ;) Even without NVGs my group of friends, while not preferring to play at night don't insist on a daylight server but will log into night ones. We also avoid the "500+ vehicles", "Gunz-Gunz-Gunz", and "donate for a starter pack" servers.