SpYd3r

A Noob Confused (Pls Halp!)

Hello, my real name is Andrew but please just call me Spider.  :lol:

I have a few basic questions I think. First though before I ask them I would like to point out that I have never played an Arma game. Never ever. Just because I'm relatively new to PC gaming and just never knew they existed. Pathetic I know. lol 

With that said I was wondering about DayZ because I'm a HUGE zombie fan. I really like the idea of a zombie sim. So my question/s is about the DayZ stand alone game. Will I need to buy Arma 3 to play it? I mean DayZ was a mod from Arma 2 right? So do I need the Arma 2 games and that original DayZ mod? I'm more interested in the DayZ stand alone newer game. What do I need exactly to play it? 

Thanks in advance and man I can't tell you how f-ing cool this game sounds. It's ridiculous already and I don't even know that much about it. Peace.  :D

DayZ Standalone....will be DayZ...on it's own (clue's in the name huh?:P) but there are the mods for Arma 3 & 2

Hi Spider.

It's exactly as it says, A STANDALONE, meaning it requires no other games for it to run. It stands by it's self

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Wildfyre
  • Like 2

DayZMod is as you stated, a mod of ArmA2, so you'll need ArmA 2: Combined Operations for that.

DayZSA (StandAlone) is going to be its own game. when it's released, you just buy it, download, and play.

Yea I figured it so...just wasn't sure because I thought the website said dl now but had requirements for the arma 2 games. I just got confused with old and new I guess. Thanks for the quick responses. 

If I needed Arma 3 I was gonna get that and play until release of SA. Now I know for sure I'll wait for the release.

Edited by SpYd3r
  • Like 2

Just keep in mind, one thing. When standalone gets released is going to be an alpha version. This is a stage prior to a beta version. As you can understand it is not going to be a full/complete game, many features will be missing (vehicles for example), it'll have bugs/glitches, etc.

So if you'd like to help with testing and are willing to put up with bugs/glitches, wait a couple of months for the standalone. If you want vehicles, fishing, other extra features and less bugs then go for Arma 2: CO, and play the DayZ mod.

Welcome dude!

But two words of caution-

Bear in mind the stuff you've probably seen from DayZ are from top tier players. And videos are almost always edited for highlights. Don't expect to be having epic clan battles on day one. And don't expect to not get your ass kicked a bunch while you're first learning. I play on a server that happens to attract many noobs. It's amazing the incidence of quitting after an hour or so (very often much less time). You're gonna have a bad time at first. If you don't actually like that, then maybe reconsider the game.

Also, the game is less a zombie sim and more of a cooperative survival sim. The zombies exist primarily as an effective third party opponent. You won't be getting classic scares like from early Resident Evil's or anything like that. The trick is managing the zombies so that you can maintain your own health while surviving all the dudes out there that want to kill you!

I'm posting this because I've recently convinced many acquaintances to try the game with very little luck. This is not an easy gratification game.

The game is 90% drudgery and 5% utter despair and 5% massive elation.

For instance, a few days ago I spent all day (like 12 hours) fixing a heli (very boring), 1 hour woohooing as we raped all the bases on the map, then we got careless and landed at a tent base we'd never reconned before. I got killed right as I accessed the first tent's inventory. Next came one hour of yelling, recriminations, despair and disunity between me and my partner as I tried to run back to the battle and do whatever I could to help my partner reclaim our chopper. I got a lucky spawn and lucked out on a tent along the way with weapons. I made it back and we had a battle and WE WON. We fucked them up big time! We turned our failure into a massive win by outwitting these clan fucks. Awesomest shit ever! But it took like 3 days of drudgery to get there.

As a modest two man team, we really felt we achieved a david over goliath moment. At the end we netted 6 dmrs, 2 mk mod48s and a ton of antis besides all the other goodies. Our little bird was a little fucked since we had to kill one clan dude from inside the cockpit and general battle damage. We managed to quickly fix it though while defending our position. We raped their base hardcore and I flew away on top of the world. Then I landed on an inaccessible tower at a castle. After the restart the chopper was misplaced by the server and glitched in the walls so as not to be recoverable.

Then two days of back to basics, much drudgery. But then we netted the huey, well stole it actually.

• Like 3

I will keep in mind that DayZSA will be in Alpha. I will probably get Arma 2 games and DayZ mod while I wait and start learning. 

Phil thank you for your input. I guess surviving other people would be a huge threat in real life if a zombie apocalypse actually happened. The vids I watched there was no zombie killing so I kinda started to grasp that I think. Because it's more a sim then a game is what attracts me. I don't want a CoD zombies or Resident Evil. A survival sim with a zombie them just sounds awesome. 

This may sound nerdy and I swear I'm not even into StarWars like that but I used to play a browser StarWars sim. It took months before I got a ship to fly. It would take weeks or even months to fly across the galaxy depending how fast your ship was. Very boring I guess specially since there were no real graphics. DayZ sounds right up my ally. lol

Thank you all for the help. If all goes right I'll be getting DayZ mod for Arma 2 next pay check and maybe meet up in game. I'm trustworthy.  ;)

Edited by SpYd3r
  • Like 1

Spyder, as the man before me says, take all the romantic Dayz notions out of your head if you have them. watching the jackfrags and shoshos of YT, the game looks like a blast. It isn't. It has the odd wonderful moment. but too many frustrating moments. I play alone, and its VERY difficult. Dayz loses its charm quickly when you realise that everyone is out to shoot you in the back. That's how I die most times. You sneak about for hours watching your back, hiding in the shadows, collecting stuff with the annoying zig-zaggy zombies punching holes in you while you navigate the awful inventory menu trying to grab a can of soda. Then you are in a thickly wooded area, sure you are safe and then you hear a whoosh whoosh of feet behind you, & before you can say "where the fuck did you magically appear from?" your dead, one shot in the back. Leaving you wondering if yet another hacker has ruined your fun. Servers are full of them.

If you want to play as a bad ass, shooting on sight & getting a cool bandit skin on overwatch etc? I highly recommend. If you want to play to meet fellow survivors, & team up like the survivors in cool zombie films? I would wait for the standalone. I have put in a lot of hours, & have yet to see anything like those Frankie vids where a team of guys are pulling together for the greater cause or having fun dancing to songs.

Hey thank you for the advice and inside knowledge of the game. Yea I want to survive with others not be a player killer. I have other games that ate better for that type of play (gmod) I would rather play. Thank you again I think I will wait for the stand alone.

Sorry I'm on my phone at work...but all have been really nice and helpful to me. Thanks.

also make sure your computer can run the crazy high specs of arma2/dayz

• Like 1

Hey thank you for the advice and inside knowledge of the game. Yea I want to survive with others not be a player killer. I have other games that ate better for that type of play (gmod) I would rather play. Thank you again I think I will wait for the stand alone.

Sorry I'm on my phone at work...but all have been really nice and helpful to me. Thanks.

No probs spidey my good man, but I did forget to mention that if you are planning to play with friends, you will have a fighting chance. Playing lone wolf? Its as hard and as bad as I made out, but still... the best gaming experience ever sadly enough! If you are a fan of tension, theres NOTHING like being on a busy Dayz server as a noob trying to survive the zombies whilst experienced player killers are hunting you down. Hearing a vehicle nearing you & slowing down cos they have maybe spotted you & you think do I hide or run? Better chills than any zombie on resident evil can give you. Even though the game is a bastard, I recommend you give it a whirl anyway before standalone. Mixed advice? maybe, but its that type of game. Its cruel & unforgiving, but it gets those spider senses tingling like no other game can. In a nutshell. End of story.

As above DayZ standalone is a standalone game, it does not require any other games or programs to run.

DayZ mod is a mod for ArmA 2: Combined Operations, meaning that you need ArmA 2 and ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead to play it.

also make sure your computer can run the crazy high specs of arma2/dayz

This is a good point.

OP - what are your system specs?

I can't imagine paying out for a couple of games and then finding out that you can't actually run them at a playable level would be much fun.

Desktop
Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
RAM: * 8.00 GB

spyder, i got exactly the Same specs and the game runs perfectly(!) fine for me on semi-high settings. i even capture gameplay in good Resolution while playing so dont worry! its still ruuning kinda "ok" even when i put everything on max...

Your joking right with a 550TI? Semi-High settings? No way! Maybe on ridiculous 3d low resolution. I Owned a 570GTX in the past and it couldn't run what you say, OK on max lol. That card trumps the 550TI and its not even a good card. 

Edited by monoking

I know the 550 ti is old and it was cheap why I got it. I do run most games on normal high at decent 30+ fps. I've watched youtube with BF3 maxed with 550 ti maybe something lowered not sure but it ran good. I play TheSecretWorld on high around 30 fps. I know it's not the best but even today the 550 ti seems to do okay for itself. 

I am however looking into a new evga...thinking 660 superclocked. Mainly because it's cheap and I won't have to upgrade my PSU. 

Your joking right with a 550TI? Semi-High settings? No way! Maybe on ridiculous 3d low resolution. I Owned a 570GTX in the past and it couldn't run what you say, OK on max lol. That card trumps the 550TI and its not even a good card. 

nope, 100% truth! I'll make a screenshot of my settings for you next time i play!

Im running 1080p (the same for 3D!) and the rest on semi-high. As i said, i even capture gameplay while playing! I got the 550ti amp(?), the one with 1Gb ram (normal one got 500mb afaik). I have my OS and all the programs (except of steam) on a SSD and all the rest, including games, on a normal HDD. Also i tend to keep my system very clean and organized.

Desktop

Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti

RAM: * 8.00 GB

My old PC was far worse and ran the game. I have a new PC now though but I must say that Arma II isn't kind to it! 

Here you go...

What does this pic prove? That you can just set to that settings? Wheres the FPS counter? Doesn't proof anything if its playable.

My friend has the GTX 660 and he told me his optimal settings is on Normal for Full HD. I don't see the 550TI getting near at all and especially Max and wow the 550TI performs better then my old GTX 570 OC?

If you like to play below 30FPS thats another story.

I can show you my FPS on MAX with 760GTX and you can judge if its playable or not lol!

And this article doesn't support your claim at all. It's an arma 2 benchmark and its not even that heavy as DayZ.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review/8

Yea I play most games on 1920 1080 but at low the normal only around 30fps. On minecraft tho I can beast at like 180fps. :p

What does this pic prove? That you can just set to that settings? Wheres the FPS counter? Doesn't proof anything if its playable.

ehm...i think you got something wrong here mate. I dont have to "prove" you anything. I just wanted to show OP my settings since we have the same system.

If you wanna play the "i wanna show random anonymous people on the internet that i have the longest dick"-contest, feel free to do it! lol

Im just here to have some constructive and nice discussion though.