Lopz

Best Sniper?

Dear sir' date='

A "sniper" is a person who uses a long range weapon. I believe the word you are searching for is "sniper rifle".

You wouldn't say, "Let me go fly that pilot" would you? Ok, maybe you would, who am I to judge your lifestlye?

Sincerely,

inb4trolls

P.S. This may help you: http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapon_Comparison_Table

[/quote']

The word they are looking for is Scoped Rifle. A sniper rifle is a rifle that is in the hands of a certified sniper.

Best Sniper? Vasili Zaitsev. 'Cause Nagants are cheap pieces of shit, and he still managed to get tonnes of confirmed kills with it.

DMR at night (with NVGs)' date=' AS50 during the day.

[/quote']

This is 100% correct. I have a great deal of time behind a 107 in DZ, and I would love to give the AS50 a try. Sadly, they don't grow on trees. Any suggestions?

I never really understood Zero-ing.. Can someone explain?

There is a deeper discussion to be had here' date=' but the following items are worth noting:

1. All projectiles will experience "bullet drop" when fired in a gravity field. The resulting parabolic trajectory, or projectile motion, is studied in the field of external ballistics.

2. Weapons with a sight must be calibrated so that the (a) sight line and (b) bullet's path intersect at the desired range. Professional marksmen would say that the point of aim and the point of impact must match at the target. When graphing the parabolic trajectory a bullet relative to the sight line, this means that there will be two points of intersection: a near zero and a far zero. In the graph below, the near zero corresponds to the first x-intercept; the more relevant far zero corresponds to the second x-intercept.

[img']http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/M855_drop_during_25-meter_zeroing_trajectory_M16A2_M4.jpg

3. In Arma 2, you "zero" your rifle to a desired range (using PgUp and PgDn) so that the the location of the far zero best fits the estimated, or measured, distance to the target. At this zeroed range, the point of aim and point of impact will match so that no apparent bullet drop is perceived by the shooter. Worded in basic terms, this means you can place the center of your reticle directly over a target at the zeroed range and pull the trigger without the need for additional correction.

4. Additional corrections for bullet drop, also known as holdover, are more complicated and apply to targets between or beyond zeroed ranges (e.g. 425m). They also apply to weapons without zeroing (DMR). This will be the topic of another discussion. :rolleyes:

To get you started, however, the mil (or angular milliradian) folks mention does not correspond to a fixed distance (e.g. 50m). The distance a mil will trace out, or subtend, is a function of the distance to the target. At 500m, a mil will represent a vertical height of 50cm; similarly, at 1km this same mil will subtend 1m. To determine the height (in cm) 1 mil will correspond to, simply divide the distance to the target (in m) by 10.

Hope this helps.

That was a really interesting post,wxEcho.

Thanks for all that information.

I've been using the AS50 lately, and i have found that the Zero-ing really helps assuming you know the target's distance.

The DMR is still a great weapon, specially to use with the NVG!

The DMR also has the right click zoom even when scoped, which is another nice thing about it.

That was a really interesting post' date='wxEcho.

Thanks for all that information.

I've been using the AS50 lately, and i have found that the Zero-ing really helps assuming you know the target's distance.

The DMR is still a great weapon, specially to use with the NVG!

The DMR also has the right click zoom even when scoped, which is another nice thing about it.

[/quote']

Where did you get your AS50? Any chance you would be willing to part with it? ;)

I updated my post to provide a discussion of the angular mil.

I got my AS50 from a lame sniper, but after some research, i found out it's quite rare and only spawns in Helicopter Crashes.

When i'm tired of sniping, and if i still have it, i'll send you a PM here and i can give it to you, deal?

I got my AS50 from a lame sniper' date=' but after some research, i found out it's quite rare and only spawns in Helicopter Crashes.

When i'm tired of sniping, and if i still have it, i'll send you a PM here and i can give it to you, deal?

[/quote']

Deal! I am working diligently on a little project that will generate a range card for precise holdover corrections applicable to the AS50, 107, and DMR. I would be happy to share my results with you as compensation. I also have a 107 I could offer as trade.

As luck would have it, I'm unable to play DZ for another week or so. If you should grow bored with the weapon in that time, I would be unbelievably grateful for your charity. Your mission in the mean time is to stay alive and keep that weapon! :D

The neat thing is, the holdover tables I've seen in the forums or online have generally been wrong. The tricky thing is to know what holdover to use for targets between the standard zero ranges. Most folks just assume 50 or 100m for each mil, but in several situations (particularly long shots) this is inaccurate. As a math nerd, I'm getting a chance to apply some calculus to the project to obtain more meaningful results.

Can someone take the take the opportunity in this thread to explain just how the zeroing on the DMR actually works? I've seen multiple people explain it and they are all different and no one can really give me an accurate answer.

While you can't zero the crosshair to a specific range' date=' you can absolutely use the mil-dots to compensate for different known ranges. I have a notebook sitting next to my keyboard that details how many mil-dots high a person will be at differing ranges, and how many dots of compensation are required at differing ranges. If you want to be successful with the DMR at any meaningful range, you'll want to do the same.

BTW the DMR is zero'd to 400m (zoomed).

[/quote']

Nah its 300 meters, tested it the other day on a guy when i was 309 meters away from him (According to the personal waypoint) hit right where i was aiming.

The DMR is very strange in that with the scope at minimum zoom, its zeroed at 300m, but at max zoom it is zeroed at 400m. The default keys for the adjustable scope are +/- on the numpad.

Anyone with a bit of research and math can make a simple chart for a mil-dot scope based on a target of known height.

The main ratio to remember is that at 1000m 1 mil~36"

That ratio stays the same no matter what the distance is, so at 800m, 1mil~ 8/10 * 36" = 30"

The drop per distance is something that needs to be found out with the gun though, so unless you can find a chart for your gun you need to take it out to the range.

I wondered about that how messing with the zoom affects the zero'ing and milldot respresentations.

Though when I was testing with the DMR prior, and taking a 600M shot with and without Max zoom, I noticed no difference given the appropriate Milldot.

Just wish the AS50 had a range guide on the side of it, like the PSO has.

The DMR is very strange in that with the scope at minimum zoom' date=' its zeroed at 300m, but at max zoom it is zeroed at 400m. The default keys for the adjustable scope are +/- on the numpad. [/quote']

I'm not sure this is true. The length subtended by 1 mil changes with the magnification, but the zeroing should not. As I outlined in my previous post, zeroing is related to the ballistic trajectory of the bullet/rifle combo and the sight/bore offset.

I haven't tested extensively with the DMR yet, but I don't believe your claim is accurate. 300m is the right figure.

Anyone with a bit of research and math can make a simple chart for a mil-dot scope based on a target of known height.

The main ratio to remember is that at 1000m 1 mil~36"

That ratio stays the same no matter what the distance is' date=' so at 800m, 1mil~ 8/10 * 36" = 30"

The drop per distance is something that needs to be found out with the gun though, so unless you can find a chart for your gun you need to take it out to the range.

[/quote']

This is a gross oversimplification. While it's true that the arc subtended by 1 mil is linear with range (every 100 m corresponds to 10 cm), the holdover corrections for bullet drop are only simple if the rifle can not be zeroed. While this is true for the DMR, it is not for the more advanced M107 or AS50 weapon systems.

Since Arma2 uses Rayleigh/Newton drag to model the fluid resistance (i.e. drag force proportional to speed squared), it is correct to say that ballistics experiments must be conducted to generate the trajectory data needed to predict and correct for bullet drop.

Also, it's silly to quote angular mil corrections in inches; Arma2 uses the metric system. :rolleyes:

DMR crosshairs are zeroed to 300m and the mildots will hit accurately upto 800m. Each mildot under the crosshair is +100m, ending at 800m (this mark is where the skinny line of the crosshair meets the thick line)

zooming does not effect the zerioing, at least as far as I can tell. Case in point..I saw a guy run from the ATC tower at the airfield. I was 650m away with the DMR. I aimed using the 3rd mildot, just over his head. Two shot, 2 hits, and yes I was double zoomed

I wondered about that how messing with the zoom affects the zero'ing and milldot respresentations.

Though when I was testing with the DMR prior' date=' and taking a 600M shot with and without Max zoom, I noticed no difference given the appropriate Milldot.

Just wish the AS50 had a range guide on the side of it, like the PSO has.

[/quote']

You don't need or want the PSO model. The mil-dot system, while more complicated, is more accurate.

Consider the following:

- 1 mil will correspond to a heigh of 10 cm for every 100 m of distance to the target.

- the height of a standing player in Arma is 1.8 m (9/5).

- you can accurately estimate the range to a standing target in Arma by measuring its height in mil-dots.

The following formula will give you the range (in m) to a standing player:

r = 9000/(5*x)

r is range to target; x is the number of mils the target occupies in your reticle.

Note: data applies to zoomed observations only.

At 450 m, a player will be 4 mils tall. At 900 m, a player will be 2 mils.

Here's where things get exciting. Once you know the range to the target, you can use the same angular milliradians to dermine bullet drop corrections (holdover).

Hope this helps!

So how do you adjust this "zero-ing"? And how can you know the range to a target? Just by quessing?

Each mildot under the crosshair is +100m' date=' ending at 800m (this mark is where the skinny line of the crosshair meets the thick line)

zooming does not effect the zerioing, at least as far as I can tell. Case in point..I saw a guy run from the ATC tower at the airfield. I was 650m away with the DMR. I aimed using the 3rd mildot, just over his head. Two shot, 2 hits, and yes I was double zoomed

[/quote']

This is only accurate as an approximation, at best. The bullet drop correction each mil corresponds to changes with range to the target. While the arc subtended by a mil is linear with range, the bullet drop is parabolic; these contributions do not combine to produce the constant relationship you describe.

Again, your approximation may work; it will not, however, provide you with accurate holdover corrections at long range (where bullet drop is much more severe).

Also, zooming does not affect zeroing - you are correct. It does, however, affect the mil-dot estimates for range and holdover.

So how do you adjust this "zero-ing"? And how can you know the range to a target? Just by quessing?

See posts #30 and #39 in this thread.

What wxEcho states is truth.

Personally, I have a ranging chart and map open on my second monitor while playing DayZ. There are a few great charts available that tell you exactly what height a player appears (in mildots) in your zoomed scope at a given distance.

I used the chart, and patience, to land a center mass hit (directly in the sternum) with my M107 at nearly 700m on my very first shot with the gun after acquiring it. Using just the dots on the M107 scope, I was able to estimate (with decent accuracy) the distance to the target within seconds. Zeroed the rifle out to the distance I estimated (but I knew I estimated long) then aimed slightly lower than where I intended to place my shot. I doubt my target even knew he was in danger before he got 'You are dead'.

The techniques I used are exactly what wxEcho is arguing for. He seems like he might have some RL experience as well, and you would be well served to heed his advice.

What wxEcho states is truth.

Personally' date=' I have a ranging chart and map open on my second monitor while playing DayZ. There are a few great charts available that tell you exactly what height a player appears (in mildots) in your zoomed scope at a given distance.

I used the chart, and patience, to land a center mass hit (directly in the sternum) with my M107 at nearly 700m on my very first shot with the gun after acquiring it. Using just the dots on the M107 scope, I was able to estimate (with decent accuracy) the distance to the target within seconds. Zeroed the rifle out to the distance I estimated (but I knew I estimated long) then aimed slightly lower than where I intended to place my shot. I doubt my target even knew he was in danger before he got 'You are dead'.

The techniques I used are exactly what wxEcho is arguing for. He seems like he might have some RL experience as well, and you would be well served to heed his advice.

[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words.

DMR is not zeroed at 300m' date=' test it.

[/quote']

I will be sure to do so when I get back to my gaming machine.

It should be easy to test in the editor. Simply place a small target 300m and 400m from the shooter, choose a flat area for the test, and aim for the head. The distance that matches the point of aim to the point of impact is your solution.

Regardless, the DMR has no manual (adjustable) zeroing. This means the shooter must use the holdover method to correct for bullet drop. A simple ballistic trajectory isn't enough; you need to project the bullet's path relative to the sight line in order to employ holdover with a zeroed rifle. If the ballistic chart doesn't provide this, coordinate transformations are required to convert a pure bullet-drop graph into meaningful correction data.

And this, as they say, is where the fun begins. ;)

For practicing some might find this one here useful:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14616

...and its a little more comfortable than the bare editor.

Wow you guys don't know about this guide?

http://wolverine.cameron.edu/~ac113448/ARMA2/ARMA2WeaponRangingAndCorrectionGuide.pdf

I prefer the SVD because it is also camo and helps me say concealed with my ghillie, and the built in target range finder is the bomb :)

For practicing some might find this one here useful:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14616

...and its a little more comfortable than the bare editor.

Wow you guys don't know about this guide?

http://wolverine.cameron.edu/~ac113448/ARMA2/ARMA2WeaponRangingAndCorrectionGuide.pdf

I prefer the SVD because it is also camo and helps me say concealed with my ghillie' date=' and the built in target range finder is the bomb :)

[/quote']

That guide is a great start, but it's not entirely accurate. To begin, he assumes players are 2 m in height, which makes the mil-dot range estimation a tad off. The bullet drop corrections also don't appear to provide the appropriate holdovers when using manual zeroing.

It's well done, just not as precise as I would like.

Also, the mil-dot scopes will give you better range/holderover estimation accuracy than the PSO system on the SVD. The lack of zoom is also annoying.

Just go to the gun range and rent a sniper. You will learn the easiest that way. Take those skills into arma and act like its real. I just hate that i have to walk so far to the beans.

I was testing the dmr just there and it seems to me that unzoomed it seems to be zeroed at 100m while zoomed it seems to be zeroed at 350, i may not be 100% accurate but there is definitely a difference in the zeroing