Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

[SA]Simple 'group' spawning options

So what do you do on a new server with a friend?

You spawn, you end up on the other end of the coast to eachother, figure out where you are, and run for fifteen minutes straight to meet up in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know if this has been suggested before (the search function leads me to beleive it hasn't), but I'm suggesting a 'group spawn' mechanic for the standalone.

Basically, you create a 'group' prior to spawning. Up to four people. And then you spawn in. The entire group spawns within 100 or so metres of eachother on the beach. Presto, you have your group together and ready to go.

Now, of course, there will be counter-arguments.

'It's not realistic'. Except it could totally be. You're washing up on the beach. Who's to say that you were alone in the ocean where you got capisized/whatever? You could have been with your mates. Which is why they're all strewn along the same beach.

Furthermore, it's a game. And this is more of a convenience feature. Not everyone has unlimited time to play DayZ and spawning in with your friends when you're both making new characters would get rid of that 'where the fuck am I? Where the fuck are YOU?' stage of gameplay that, I kid you not, has taken up an entire length of playtime for me before. I have found my friend, and then literally laid down next to him so that we can both log off. Because life happens.

'It can be used to exploit'. Okay. Find me one exploit in this system.

You don't start with a gun. So you can't just overwhelm someone with numbers straight off the bat.

You don't choose your starting point, so you can't get somewhere quickly. All of you drop at a random location, as per the usual spawn mechanics.

Again, you don't choose your starting point. So even if someone is waiting with a backpack full of guns for you, or even a tent filled with them, you still don't have a set starting point. It's luck of the draw.

And it spawns you together. Meaning that people have to be dead already to group up to spawn together.

There are basically no exploits.

DayZ is a team-based game. Blood bags. Vehicles. etc etc etc. Everything is better in a team. Better safety, better offense. Better gameplay.

But the whole 'where the fuck are you?' phase takes way, way too long. I'm all for making the game harder and more brutal. But an inconvenient spawning system is just... inconvenient. It's not hard in any way. Just tedious.

Sure, if your friend dies, and you don't, he should have to hump it to get to your position. But when you first spawn on a server?

And hell, it could probably even be made that if you die from combat with another player, you get locked out of 'group spawning' for however many minutes.

• Like 1

It's come up a lot over the course of time.

I don't see much good coming out of it TBH.

Yeah, you've got more sets of eyes. But you've also got more bodies to arm and more mouths to feed. Not to mention you multiply your chances of being spotted by Zeds or players.

As a fresh spawn you should be struggling to fend for yourself as is. And I would prefer solo-spawns only.

As far as I'm concerned, convenience shouldn't be one of the design targets.

• Like 1

Half of the fun when in a group is the journey you have on the way to find each other. If you spawn together you will never get the whole bro fist moment and tears of joy when you run towards each other after so long apart. 

• Like 3

Mmm wouldn't be fun when a large clan spawns in together and gets all the loot. Or actually it could be.

The only real issue I have with this is people using it to instantly get back into a fight. That should never happen. Ever.

Large clans would just spawn and come in waves, killing everyone, and taking all the loot.

I can also see people using a spare account or whatever to just use as a beacon, and place it at all the "good" spawns.

• Like 1

create a 'group' prior to spawning. Up to four people. And then you spawn in. The entire group spawns within 100 or so metres of eachother on the beach. Presto, you have your group together and ready to go.

Not "spawn-beacon"able.

And what are beachlanders going to do?

I don't support the idea, but at least read it before you counter it.

Edited by Chabowski

I kinda like the idea, but I also agree with chabowski, maybe like you can only group spawn the first time you join the server only, that way you start your journey disoriented, but with your friends, and then if you all die, then you can't group spawn again or something like that

I was never too fond of an idea of having to spawn with your friends. The fact of being washed up on shore describes more of a story individually and that's what gives out the experience much better for each person.

Edited by TIC321