DemonGroover

Subtle/Small Additions to make DayZ SA/mod more Hardcore

I know there have been discussions/suggestions like this before but the recent "hardcore" thread got me thinking again on small or even subtle changes that could be made to make DayZ (mod and Standalone) even more of a hard core survival experience.

I am not talking about disabling 3rd person here, or crosshairs, nameplates etc! That discussion is for another thread.

What i am interested in are little things that could be added to the Standalone (and mod if possible). And please, this isn't meant to be taken too seriously though i'd hope a few good suggestions could be made. Sorry, but I get bored at work (a lot).

So my "great" idea for Standalone:

You spawn with a shoe size.  Imagine, your feet are blistered and you finally find a nice pair of hiking boots - but oh shit they are a size 9 and you are only a 7. Could be a great job opportunity though - shoe salesman?

How about something as simple (though not for animations etc) as there being a chance you spawn as left handed.

OK i'm going back to work for a bit i think i need another coffee.

• Like 2

Meh. Seems like more of a pain in the ass than fun.

• Like 7

That won't make the game harder, just more annoying 

It may sound like a good idea now, but trust me, you'd begin to REALLY hate those kind of features

• Like 1

I think it'd cause more of a balancing issue just as an example of how all clothing items are unisex and aren't individually made for males and females separately but combined for both genders to wear. I like the depth of the footwear though :)

My small details

• A small detail I'd like to see is players visibly show symptoms like after running for awhile, they'll start to sweat or their skin complexion becomes a lighter tone if they have some type of sickness.
  • With notes, survivors could put warning signs on walls to post possible threats of bandits or a very large amount of zombies around the area where they were at.
  • (Not really a small detail) More nature at night such as fireflies, crickets chirping, owls to create a great nightly atmosphere. Maybe an possibility of seeing "shooting stars" in the night sky? :)
  • (more to come later)
Edited by TIC321
  • Like 2

I agree and tbh i hardly think different shoes sizes are a great idea myself!

Just brainstorming really.

Edited by DemonGroover

I would rather have the option to set the shoe size and dominant hand

not a random thing

• Like 1

there being a chance you spawn as left handed.

I'm left handed, and it seems you're calling this a disability. I'm so offended, I can't believe it. You're all so inconsiderate. I'm leaving the forums forever.

Yeah i hardly would want the game to become annoying.

You could say that something like requiring a can opener is annoying since in a desperate situation you would find a way to open a can. But really in an apocalypse scenario a can opener would be a must have item (even Mad Max had one)

How about wirecutters so you can get through those frigging fences?

As far as sickness, rather than a straight "you are infected" pop up i would much rather symptoms become apparent.  Dizziness, blurred vision, high temp etc

I'm left handed, and it seems you're calling this a disability. I'm so offended, I can't believe it. You're all so inconsiderate. I'm leaving the forums forever.

Its a right hand world.  I don't know how you all survive.

• Like 3

I agree and tbh i hardly think different shoes sizes are a great idea myself!

Just brainstorming really.

All I can think of is how in Die Hard, Bruce Willis kept trying to get the right size shoes.  But none of the terrorists' shoes fit.

I think this would cool to be implemented.  We have blood types why not shoe sizes?

Edited by Rarabka233
  • Like 1

They gave Bruce false slip on feet..check Die Hard bloopers ;)

Slaps him with superior right hand.

I suppose it all depends how deep you want the game to go and how far you could push the realism before players got sick to death of doing mundane things.

For me the more realism the better but there are limits.

I mean you could really go down the complete hardcore path if you wanted to. A stamina system would be highly realistic but in a game like DayZ, slowing to a walk or keeling over after running for 2km would be very frustrating.

What i am trying to think of is: In a real apocalypse scenario what items would be invaluable to have and what things could have a detrimental effect on your health?

Edited by DemonGroover

How about loss of voice/sidechat for ten minutes if you call out 'Friendly' or 'Anyone in Cherno" more than twice in a row.

• Like 3

I agree with Death Dealer. I really hate to burst your bubble because I, too, enjoy brainstorming about ways to improve or change things, but as he said, although it sounds like it would make things more realistic (as it would), it would just make the game so much harder that it would make many people not want to play.

Think about this, if you did that to shoe size, wouldn't you want to find clothing that fit your character as well? Coats for changing weather (which would be cool, but who would want to have to carry a heavy coat in their pack for colder weather? lol), new jeans or cargo pants when yours got worn out etc. This would have to impliment:

1) Custom sizing for each character

2) "Wear and tear"/deteriorization system for clothing and gear

3) Changing temperatures and implimentation of weather effects on characters (being cold, or cold + wet, or getting heat exhaustion etc)

Although these things would make it more realistic, I think that implimenting these things wouldn't be of paramount importance such that other things are omitted from the game in order to have these; not to mention that it would become too monotonous to find new clothing alongside already having to find food, water, gear and ammo to stay alive.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 1

Its a right hand world.  I don't know how you all survive.

Slaps him with superior right hand.

STOP REPLYING. I'm trying to leave.

• Like 1

I agree with Death Dealer. I really hate to burst your bubble because I, too, enjoy brainstorming about ways to improve or change things, but as he said, although it sounds like it would make things more realistic (as it would), it would just make the game so much harder that it would make many people not want to play.

Think about this, if you did that to shoe size, wouldn't you want to find clothing that fit your character as well? Coats for changing weather (which would be cool, but who would want to have to carry a heavy coat in their pack for colder weather? lol), new jeans or cargo pants when yours got worn out etc. This would have to impliment:

1) Custom sizing for each character

2) "Wear and tear"/deteriorization system for clothing and gear

3) Changing temperatures and implimentation of weather effects on characters (being cold, or cold + wet, or getting heat exhaustion etc)

Although these things would make it more realistic, I think that implimenting these things wouldn't be of paramount importance such that other things are omitted from the game in order to have these; not to mention that it would become too monotonous to find new clothing alongside already having to find food, water, gear and ammo to stay alive.

Just my 2 cents :)

I agree and please don't be sorry for bursting any of my bubbles.

Clothing sizes would become a pain in the ass.  Finding the right sized jacket, shoes and jeans would become a major chore.

In so far as the clothing implementations you mention though both wear and tear as well as clothing having effects on warmth/cold are going to be in Standalone.

Rocket himself has mentioned that you may have to make a choice: "Do i want this fluro rain jacket to keep me warm and dry but highly visible or not?"

One of the things i would love to see in Standalone is character customisation as in you select race, gender, age and physical properties (height and weight)

That way i can play my 92 year old WW2 vet properly, complete with dodgy hip.

• Like 2

I think having hoods/hats keep you warmer and drier, at the cost of a little bit of perception, would be a good addition.

With a hood up, wind and rain won't chill you to the bone as quicky, but your hearing would be muffled and you can't look over your shoulder without seeing the inside of your hood.

There was talk of having a helmet cam that greatly affected your vision, but i don't know how this would be implemented in 3rd person for example.

Be nice to have a Taunt key as well - what was the mod where you could give someone the finger?

A Mooning key.

Edited by DemonGroover

As an experienced festival goer I know that if you walk with a backpack full of sleeping gear, canned foods, a tent, multiple sets of clothing and other junk you will die after ten minutes in a pool of sweat and shame. Especially if the sun is out. I would like this to be something to consider. Travelling light should really be an option and you really should need a vehicle to loot a supermarket or another camp to load all the stuff into.

Multiple pair of socks should be a neccessity.

• Like 4

There should be ticks / mites in long grass with an increased % chance over time of being bitten and a chance to get Lymes disease, or some kind of fever.

And spiders.

None of those outback, mountable Godzilla-spiders.

Just the shitty wee right-side-up-part-of-the-world ones.

Cobwebs around doors etc. means nobody has been there for a while. No cobwebs means watch your ass.

• Like 3

Hmmm i like the cobweb idea.

Maybe dust footprints inside as well if someone has been there recently.

• Like 1

I would love it if spending long periods of time "prone" had a physical effect on your character....

I dont know about the rest of you, but if i spent 2 hours on my stomache under a tree while lookin down some gun sights...

Well id be one seriously stiff jointed and slow moving person....

Perhaps even some vertigo effects would be good... Prone for too long + standing and running too quickly = dizziness and loss of balance...

• Like 4

Make getting shot more penalizing. It should take a few in game hours for your guy to stop limping once he has bandaged and what not. A few hours so that it doesn't entirely kill your experience, but is still a bad thing. This could mean that if you shot someone and they got away, you could track them down with superior movement speed. Would encourage players to make things like camps to heal up or have a buddy to watch their back. There should be no "quick fix" for this. As that would ruin the whole point of having it.

Rain should impair your vision if you don't have a cap on.

Edited by TheDesigner
  • Like 8