N7V

Server Adjustable Zombie Difficulty

I suggest that you create a system for server administrators to control the AI difficulty of zombies.

First of all, my thoughts do not represent every single opinion in the world; they represent my opinion. That having been said, read further if you have interest in rationale that relates to the request submitted.

This request is the most basic one that has came to my mind as a solution for a problem that I have found has arisen since new DayZ updates, and hasn't yet been, in my experience, discussed as much as it should be; possibly because of the premise that DayZ has always been very rewarding as well as frustrating due to its difficulty, and going against the grain of modern games that are designed to be conquered; past positive experience with new developments; unsettling feelings of thinking of one's self as weak; fear of being thought of as inferior; counterproductive pride; or blind devotion to name a few examples. The problem being that this game has become too difficult!

There are many reasons that we play games, A few of the basic reasons are because real life is too mundane, maybe too in-depth, and more importantly that real life has consequences that are serious and final. DayZ (and lets not forget the Arma franchise) has done a better job than any other game I've ever played with helping the player really feel these types of real-world consequences in a non-real-world environment. This is why I'm a big fan. The inevitable – but – here, is that the difficulty has gone too far.

This is a game, this is not real life. I put real life time into this game though, and I do so because I love the game. But when the frustration level becomes greater and more frequent than the satisfaction level, I choose to put my time into something more fulfilling. I know you don't care about losing a few players because you want to further your vision and development, but you will be losing at least one player who use to love DayZ by going too far with the difficulty of the zombies and the loot spawns. Let me also clarify that if I really wanted to, sure, absolutely, I could keep up with the mechanics of the game, but then it becomes less like fun and more like work. I do not play DayZ because I want to work, nor because I want to completely live in real life. I'm not playing this game to prepare myself for some false, Hollywood disease that has been created for entertainment purposes; the bottom line is that I'm playing this game to have some fun!

My plea is to lighten up, and to, at the very least, allow each server to adjust the difficulty of the zombies.

I understand that you wish you could force people to work together in groups, or have a particular play style, but the truth is that you can't force people to do anything. Make the game balanced enough to allow for solo players, group players, heroes, bandits, and any other legitimate play style. Any other solution limits the players rather than liberating them and giving them a break from the real world.

So on top of all the private hives that spawn you with free guns, NVGs, food, extra car spawns, helicopters everywhere, and OP guns, you ALSO want the ability to nerf zombies. Right. Riiight...

• Like 4

In its base form, yes. I don't usually play on servers that allow for ridiculous loot spawns, etc. I like to play on legitimate servers. I like to earn my gear in one way or another, set up camp, interact with others in different ways, but I can't even fire a single shot in a factory without zombies pouring in from everywhere anymore. I either have to use an axe (which is not fun at all to use), a suppressed weapon, or go without completely. It's just becoming less fun.

This isn't Viva Piñata, it's a survival sim. It's supposed to be frustrating at times.

• Like 3

Yep, I have understood that since I started playing DayZ.

i kind of like the global difficulty, making zombies weaker would take away from the dayz experience, and them having different damage on one server to the next would be confusing.

• Like 1

I can definitely see that point as well. However, there are already several options server administrators have to seemingly add to the complexity of choosing what server to join. I feel that I touched on several rebuttals in my original post, and the bottom line is that someone who has the ability to keep up with the changes that are being made to the game, is coming to the point where he does not enjoy it as he used to (me). I can't be alone on that.

Edited by N7V

The problem being that this game has become too difficult!

Man,... i really don't want to repeat myself but...

Uhhhhhhh....

If you want super easy mode just mod the mod. Heck, remove the zombies altogether if you really want. Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

How you choose to spend your time is up to you.

Whether or not you enjoy certain aspects of gameplay, you can't expect concessions to be made for every issue an individual player has.

For private hives in the mod, server admins can fiddle to their heart's content. For SA, however, there's got to be one vision. And it's not up to us.

You can share your opinion, sure. I just don't think Zeds AI is one of the things that should be chopped and changed. For any reason.

Man,... i really don't want to repeat myself but...

If you want super easy mode just mod the mod. Heck, remove the zombies altogether if you really want. Whatever floats your boat.

And that kind of a response is exactly why I don't think people have objectively discussed this subject as much as it should be. I personally am not looking for an easy mode, a super easy mode, nor a normal mode. You're not talking to a person who lives off of the government, or thinks that the best things in life need to come easy; you're talking to a working-class person who likes the challenge of a game, but not when it becomes Paperboy-level difficult. I'm not a *ussy, I just don't need this kind of a challenge, and at the same time I'm not a devoted-enough gamer to become a modder. I'm a gamer, but not as much on the hardcore side as many of you who visit the forums.

How you choose to spend your time is up to you.

Whether or not you enjoy certain aspects of gameplay, you can't expect concessions to be made for every issue an individual player has.

For private hives in the mod, server admins can fiddle to their heart's content. For SA, however, there's got to be one vision. And it's not up to us.

You can share your opinion, sure. I just don't think Zeds AI is one of the things that should be chopped and changed. For any reason.

I know what you mean man, and you have a point, but game difficulty is a basic feature in any game you've played for years.

Not any MMO or online FPS that I've seen.

(Yeah ArmA has "difficulty", but that's for HUD more than anything else)

Alright, well if I'm wrong then just keep doing what you're doing. If there's anyone else like me then they agree that it will be sad to move on, but move on we shall, unfortunately. You all keep on keepin on, and I'll be sad to leave you.

And that kind of a response is exactly why I don't think people have objectively discussed this subject as much as it should be. I personally am not looking for an easy mode, a super easy mode, nor a normal mode. You're not talking to a person who lives off of the government, or thinks that the best things in life need to come easy; you're talking to a working-class person who likes the challenge of a game, but not when it becomes Paperboy-level difficult. I'm not a *ussy, I just don't need this kind of a challenge, and at the same time I'm not a devoted-enough gamer to become a modder. I'm a gamer, but not as much on the hardcore side as many of you who visit the forums.

neat.  I did suggest you actually apply yourself as an alternative to having someone else hand what you want to you.   That seems like something a hardworking blue collar class gent would understand.  My mistake.

neat.  I did suggest you actually apply yourself as an alternative to having someone else hand what you want to you.   That seems like something a hardworking blue collar class gent would understand.  My mistake.

Not a mistake. Your suggestion was a good one, I just don't have that much ambition.

Not a mistake. Your suggestion was a good one, I just don't have that much ambition.

it's actually pretty easy as all the work has been done for you.  It's like getting unemployment.

it's actually pretty easy as all the work has been done for you.  It's like getting unemployment.

lol

lol

If you're trying to make me feel weak because I laughed, you're not. I'm not your enemy, and I'm not your friend. If my suggestion goes nowhere, I was ready to live with that before I posted man. Take my toughts for whatever they're worth to you, live with the good or bad consiquences as you see them.

It wouldn't be DayZ if it were EazyZ

Stick to the modded mod or vanilla mod. SA is nothing for you since i hope they will have one difficulty for all even if they are private hives.

Edited by Enforcer

As far as the mod is concerned choice is good, it's what's kept it alive although the side effect of that is a fragmented playerbase, half of which have no clue what DayZ is even about as a concept/game any more.  Still, that's the nature of modding and long may it continue.

For the SA though, I propose 2 options and 2 options only:  Play or don't play.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

The heart of the problem is not that Zeds are difficult. It's they're ridiculous. Spastic, random and totally weird. That makes them mostly annoying. This probably can't be fixed for the mod unless you really go to the core like maybe in DayZ Aftermath. For SA though Zeds will be completely reworked. Hopefully.