Tikka (DayZ)

why do people have difficulties starting w/o weapons

Hounestly. I just got this game and it is seriously frustrating not starting with a weapon . I mean I have no way to defend myself . AT ALL . It's not realistic cause if use about anything as a weapon if I didn't have a gun . And with the obvious military presence and being in a place with a lot of guns at least give me a pistol maybe just loaded . With no mags . That's fair . Not searching for 3 hours and getting nothing . I still havent found a single weapon .

I think spawning without a weapon is fine for older players but for newer players it just puts them off the game, it was easy to get people into the game initially now its much harder. If possible it would be great to try out varying your spawning gear tied to your play time, so a player with say 50+ hours of DayZ play spawns with the poorer gear but a new player spawns with the older set of gear or something similar.

Now that zombies are fixed i think start without a gun is a awesome idea.

AWESOME! BEST FEATURE EVER!

It was a good emotion to go to cherno without any gun find ALICE, Lee Enfield, and kill a dude on the way, get a Ak and get the hell out of that city!

Welp, I just died, so I thought I'd time how long it took me to find a gun:

25 seconds

inside 6 minutes I had found 7 guns.

Gun spawn rate is insanely high, In one barn I found an enfield, 2 double barrel shotguns, 2 crossbows, and a winchester...

Edit: No, wait, just explored the bottom of the barn... make that 3 double barrel shotguns.

Weaposn are SO GOD DAMN EASY to find. Look in a barn, and you could fend off anything short of a sniper or LMG wielding bandit.

Then LERROY JENKINS the nearest firestation/deer stand, and BAM you got yourself a shiny AKM. Now get to that airfield, soldier, and get yourself some REAL hardware.

I think the sheer fact that there is a majority complaining means something in itself. Either it actually is too difficult to acquire guns (I personally have never gotten one, died every time attempting to pick one up from a sole zombie), or the mechanic itself needs explanation.

Having no weapons to start is complete crap really. Even a 2x4 could be scavenged off a delapitated building and used to defend yourself. (what i want to know is why the hell they would make the zombies much harder at the exact same time as making starting harder Thats just fail in itself let us get used to one at a time so they can be adjusted accordingly.

Think its great not spawning with a gun, this mod is all about

trial and error (the process of experimenting with various methods of doing something until one finds the most successful) All the new players need to do is look up DayZ wiki it gives you everything you need to know... Loot were to find guns and everything else.. Just stop running all over the place and plan ahead...

I find this mechanic much more exciting and easier to role-play. I dont want to be spoon fed like so many existing games today.

Be patient, die a bunch, and ask questions. The community has been really kind, and is always willing to point a noob in the right direction (dont turn your back on them though) ;)

Welp' date=' I just died, so I thought I'd time how long it took me to find a gun:

25 seconds

Gun spawn rate is insanely high, In one barn I found an enfield, 2 double barrel shotguns, 2 crossbows, and a winchester...

Edit: No, wait, just explored the bottom of the barn... make that 3 double barrel shotguns.

[/quote']

Im calling BS on that.

Welp' date=' I just died, so I thought I'd time how long it took me to find a gun:

25 seconds

[/quote']

Im calling BS on that.

Yeah that guy is full of shit.

I play this game mostly solo. I've been playing it for about a week now. When I first started playing, it was hard, but it's getting easier. The challenge of acquiring a gun is half the fun. How many zombie movies have you seen where the main characters start with hand guns?...Very few.

The fact that this game has 3 simple instructions:

1 - Scavenge

2 - Kill Zombies and Bandits

3 - Survive

... is the attraction. This game isn't about being newbie friendly. Every other game in the world worries about how new players could possibly enjoy the game unless we make it easy for them. This game isn't for the mass market. Not every player is going to enjoy the challenge of it. It's for jaded and arguably sadistic gamers that crave something they aren't getting from the focus group driven games EA is shoving down our throats.

Especially now that with patch 1.7.1.5 you can drop zombie agro by line of sight, you really don't need a gun like you did prior to that. Yes, you will probably die a lot when you first play, then you will die a lot more after you start getting good at it.

as I just started playing yesterday, and watched a crap ton of videos on youtube on the game, I was sure that my survivor would have had a gun. But I didnt. I wasnt mad...more confused. mostly because some of the servers I would join would say I was missing the weapons file. So I thought it was a glitch. I was sorta pissed to find that I didnt have pretty much anything to start with, but soon I just blamed myself for being uninformed.

some people said that all you need to do is go to some airbase and BOOM..guns. but for me...I found some train tracks and a house... we dont really know where that is at.

as a noob to the game I dont really care about the gun right off the bat. The problem I am having is trying to find food and water. and more bandages.

as I just started playing yesterday' date=' and watched a crap ton of videos on youtube on the game, I was sure that my survivor would have had a gun. But I didnt. I wasnt mad...more confused. mostly because some of the servers I would join would say I was missing the weapons file. So I thought it was a glitch. I was sorta pissed to find that I didnt have pretty much anything to start with, but soon I just blamed myself for being uninformed.

some people said that all you need to do is go to some airbase and BOOM..guns. but for me...I found some train tracks and a house... we dont really know where that is at.

as a noob to the game I dont really care about the gun right off the bat. The problem I am having is trying to find food and water. and more bandages.

[/quote']

The airfield is suicide for a new player.

The reason for this is not because people are not good enough to get a weapon I'd say. I die a lot recently. And I am rather stealthy when it comes to zombies. However the problem is that most of the spawn areas where you would preffer to get at least something are plagued by players who have nothing else to do but hunt other players. Generaly this is what you will find 90% of the time:

All areas blocked off with barbwire. At least 1 or more people roaming the area checking these places and killing players on sight.

yeah, I heard that all military places are suicide. that was one of the things I knew before getting into the game.

In the beginning i thought this was a zombie including FPS which is mostly based on PVP.

And maybe it really was in the past, I guess so, but didn't play these builds.

Spawning with no weapon could actually suck and would possibly make me surrender soon, I thought. I couldn't imagine having fun being unarmed in Chernarus, then I got into the game.

I was terribly wrong, and I feel good to know now how badly wrong I was.

I've crawled around at least 50 zombies in about 4 hours, while already having a weapon. It's exciting. Also I LOVED how helpless I was in the beginning, feeling threatened by everything moving anywhere. Just me and my flashlight, lol. This is an outstandig experience if the player can get INTO it. And even though I got lots of bullets with me I never shoot unless it is absolutely necessary. I love the smart zombies, they really scare me when they change their direction towards mine while I'm slowly crawling around them. DayZ's infected right now are the threat they should be. Really great job here!

What is worrying me a bit is that to me it is really hard to get food. Supermarkets now have even more become places of total PVP because there isn't that much food anywhere else. Even I think there could be more food in residential loots, I also like this somehow. If there was a z-apocalypse, I'm pretty convinced people wouldn't mind killing each other in stores to gather the food needed to stay alive.

To close this lovesong, let me say: DayZ as it is now, especially your very own beginng, is more an experience than only just a game. It's a gory, brutal and thrilling survival trip, not just a shooter. Sometimes have to remember myself it's still Alpha because there is already very much things that fit and work perfectly for me.

I'm a complete noob and spwn on the coast "mostly" any buildings I have seen have been surrounded by zeds. How am I supposed to go from here?

Well I just died because somehow a zombie was right in front of me when I logged in near Vybor and now I had to start new without any weapon (for the first time).

It was very awkward at first - also night time. I didn't use the flashlight because I have no clue if infected react. Finally I found the construction site in cherno. Found some stuff to eat and drink. Some shotgun shells, no gun though. After searching for 30 minutes I moved on to Cherno, hit some residentials. Again food, painkillers etc. no gun, just some ammo and a hatchet. Equipped hatchet, not sure if its any good, but better than nothing, right?

So I moved into Cherno, hit the pub on the East. Found a backpack, food, ammo. On my way out down the stairs in crouch I somehow fell. Broken bones.

I crawled to the hospital with infected everywhere. Found the meds, used morphine, took the rest. Crouch-Walked out of Cherno and hit one last residential and found a Makarov, ammo and bandages. Yay.

Then I crouch walked out, moved north. Stepped on a road that I saw too late. Two soundbars. 3 Zombies killed me instantly.

I think I killed one before I got unconscious and had to watch the hourglass slowly creeping along while my life was going away very fast. All in all it took me about 70 minutes to find a weapon, maybe I had bad luck as I've been having with loot all the time (best weapon up till now was an M4/G7 I think).

The only dice I have is that it will now be even harder to convince my buddies to give it a try.

Because in the beginning you get killed a lot even if you can sometimes defend yourself, there is a point of progress. Now there is no experience gain, there isn't a learning curve, more like a learning block because you die very, very easily.

For someone starting DayZ its just another variable that shortens the period where he can learn how to survive.

No orientation, no idea what to do, nothing to point at zombies.

Yes its an anti-game, now more than ever before - and from my point of view not recommendable to someone new.

I like having no gun just find a night time server with like 10 ppl which means like 60 or so zombies just turn ur torch on and loot like crazy since towns have alot less zombies it makes it alot easier to look hassle free. I found all my ammo at night sure when you hear a zombie and cant see shit it scares you also turning the torch on when one is near but i digress night time play is the best kinda play. Tests your skills and makes you a real man lolz also players are scarce and night

To become good at something' date=' you need practice. Im a terrible shooter at this game because Ive barely had to shoot. When I need to, I kill zombies indoor with headshots because they move slow.

Im great at sneaking because Ive done it a lot since day 1. In the start I was not very good so I got the atention of a lot of zombies. Yet, I survived because I had a weapon. That meant I could continue playing, sneaking and learning how to survive properly.

When you dont have a gun, the first time you get a zombie to follow you, youre dead. That doesnt give you room to learn how to sneak properly because every time you do it wrong you die. There is no other way.

That means to become good at it you have to waste tons of lives because every like is a one shot situation.

Now, since were veterans (I dont consider myself a hardcore player) we know we can act crazy sometimes and run with zeds behind us until we find a weapon. But most noobs dont know that.

[/quote']

Would almost agree with you there, however I joined the game at 1.7.1.4 after the starting gun had gone. I'd been following the game for a while but hadn't played. First time I started got totally killed the first time I was in the vicinity of a zed. Next time got a bit better. On my 8th or 10th play through and now feeling like I can survive. To be honest not having a weapon made me get better at stealth and evasion quickly, not sure I would have developed those skills if I'd had a gun. Now I've been alive for almost 2 hours and picked up some decent stuff (no gun yet!). Once I had a weapon (hatchet) I got a bit more relaxed and took on a few isolated zeds, but I can always rely on the survival skills I learned early on. Every time I play I learn something new. Long and short of it is I don't think this is a casual players game. You need patience and you need to want to learn. Would be nice to have a gun though :)

This is wrong, IMO.

Starting without ranged weapons, or even efficient weapons is fine.

Starting without the ability to even DO something half useful, is wrong. The problem with DayZ's design IMO, is that the starting game is not very bersatile: start in coast, head to either cherno or elektro, loot a weapon, THEN the game begins. Everything else is circumstantial.

A BIG issue is not that you start without a weapon per se, but that so many of the games buildings have no insides, which makes looting a weapon in small towns inefficient. Hence: Cherno or Elektro.

A BIG issue is not that you start without a weapon per se' date=' but that so many of the games buildings have no insides, which makes looting a weapon in small towns inefficient. Hence: Cherno or Elektro.

[/quote']

As a noob I dont even have the ability to recognise what buildings will be enterable and which will not!

The reason people are having trouble is mostly due to newer players. Really thjis game could be brutal to a new player starting off with a makarov but starting with nothing? The thing is we have had time to adjust to the game with weapon in hand and learn the ropes. We know now that you can find weapons in barns, to avoid cities and that airfields are filled with goodies and have relatively decent knowledge of where the towns and airfield are. They don't. these people who join have no idea where everything is, hell I joined a few weeks back and I still don't have a solid grasp on the location of every town in retrospect to others or where the major goodies are. A new player starts of completely and utterly lost now, without even the comfort of a gun to know that they have some sort of protection while they are learning.

I have no issue starting without a weapon, but to be honest i'm not sure what the point of that decision is?

People go rampant in the starting areas anyway once they got a gun, so that doesn't really help in terms of player killing. At least some kind of meele weapon would be nice.

But i'm pretty sure this is just a test and it will get reverted back to having a weapon at spawn.