Sign in to follow this  
beatSTV

New Zombie Spawn System DayZ: Aftermath

Taken from Rossy post on the dayzaftermath forum

I have just completed the very first test of the new system regarding Zombies on my local server (running on my machine which chews performance)

I'll save all the technical bullshit and just say this....

• Main City (Elektro/Cherno)
  • 250-350 Zombies (OBVIOUSLY just numbers for testing)
  • Zero additional FPS Drop 
  • Perfectly Fine Server FPS
  • Zombies spawn and despawn from BUILDINGS not from Players, meaning a entire city can be cleared.
  • As soon as the set range from zombie to all nearest players is complete, the Zed despawns into the NEAREST building
  • As soon as another player or that player returns, the Zombies return in the same fashion.

Rule book officially blown up.

• Like 3

As soon as the set range from zombie to all nearest players is complete, the Zed despawns into the NEAREST building

That went over my head, but the idea that cities and towns can be cleared is VERY enticing. That's gonna make for some epic gameplay, especially when you guys get your base building coding down.

Yet again, more impressive news from Aftermath.

Sounds pretty sweet.

I would love to see that executed, sounds good in theory though. 

• Like 1

As soon as the set range from zombie to all nearest players is complete, the Zed despawns into the NEAREST building

That went over my head, 

He means that once players have left a set distance in a city (IE 400m) zombies will despawn and be attached to the nearest building they was at at the time, then when another player enters the zeds will re-spawn in the buildings they despawned in.

Thats what i got from it any way.
Edited by TMW Se7eN
  • Like 1

He means that once players have left a set distance in a city (IE 400m) zombies will despawn and be attached to the nearest building they was at at the time, then when another player enters the zeds will re-spawn in the buildings they despawned in

Sorry, I'm extremely slow in the mornings, so let's say I'm leaving Cherno east-wards, and I've got a bunch of zombies after me...

1. Zombies chasing me despawn.
  2. Attach to the nearest building (in this case, a building in the East)
  3. So in theory, if a new player enters the city from the West, the zombies will spawn on the other side of the city?

Im not actually sure, i presume that yes alot of them would be at that side of town, but when a new player enters i imagine they will spread out.

Bit of a late reply, but nevertheless I will explain.

The zombies now spawn at a set maximum number per location (town/village/location). 

For arguments sake if this number was 200, a single player may only trigger 50 zombies to spawn. They spawn at random locations, within a set radius of the centre of the location. Which means as soon as you start to enter a location, the zombies are already in the fields/woods/gardens etc that surround a town or location, rather than all by the buildings.

If a player gets chased by those 50, and leaves town to the west, all the zombies will enter sleep state when he gains a large enough lead, and despawn completely when the lead over the zeds reaches a set level.

They despawn into the nearest building, obviously not literally, but the NEXT time someone enters the town or village it uses that building as the centre point, and spawns those zeds back in within the radius of that building. Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

Towns can be completely cleared, and the zombie population increases with each additional player. (upto the set limit).

Heres a quick video showing how we have tried to control the "glitchyness" and with the slower movement and decreased "intelligence" the path finding and aggro seems much more "real". This means they really will swarm you quite quickly. If you sit inside a shop for instance and fire something reasonably loud, you will have the entire city on you within a few mins. They are much easier to out run, obviously. But larger numbers and VERY powerful strikes means you should avoid them at all costs. I saw inside a pub trying to bandage a friend the other night, and every time I got half way through the animation, another one came stumbling through the door. My own fault or shooting the new Mosin in a town!

Heres a video showing some more features.

http://youtu.be/8fNWwErzUGI

Edited by Rossymond
  • Like 1

I like the slower zombies.

I hope my potato (AKA: my PC) can run this mod with a acceptable performance. 

• Like 1

Fan-fuckin-delic-tastic game adaptation of a zombie outbreak! This is what I mean when I think about an outbreak, crowds of Z's chasing for your flesh, albeit I don't dislike faster infected...great job, carry on guys!

Edited by OldFossil