Sloshyman

Petition to spawn with a weapon!

Give them a crowbar. That way they don't have to poop and run every time ONE zombie grumbles at them, but they also feel the need to swap up or better gear. It also has unlimited ammo, so they don't feel the bitter irony of dying with an empty gun in their hand.

I have no problem starting with no gun.

Im usually geared up with a gun within 30-60mins if near churno/electro.

Op Just not adapting to change play style.

Me too. Hell, I usually have a '74 or 870 by the time I log off. But we can afford to cut them a LITTLE slack.

Great. Another carebear thread.

Fun Fact: CandyMan is fully equipped within 15-30 minutes after death!

Want to know how to deal with Zombies when you're unarmed? YOU DON'T. Learn how to play the damn game. No weapons were implemented for a reason -- LEARN STEALTH. If you're too impatient, then go back to casual games like COD.

If you're too impatient' date=' then go back to casual games like COD.

[/quote']

When DayZ goes retail, they should put you in charge of marketing.

Ive barely even needed to use my guns most of the time, its only ever when I screw up and agro, which isnt often... or I get spotted by another player.

In about 5 hrs I fired only 1 shot on an aggro-ed zed the other day.

Had to drop 1911 mags because I had too many!

If you know how to work around the zeds you dont really need a gun at all.

Its only for protection if you screwed up or get ambushed by players.

If you're too impatient' date=' then go back to casual games like COD.

[/quote']

When DayZ goes retail, they should put you in charge of marketing.

Yeah, I know right?

Demanding a supportive community is a two-way street. No one likes helping people that can't be bothered to figure stuff out for themselves and instead cry on the forums.

True enough.

However I came to the forums to figure out where the gun went, I assumed I just hadn't equipped it properly - all the publicity, playthroughs and interviews all show and mention a starting pistol. It was only then I discovered that it had been withdrawn...and that I wasn't the only one who thought this was a bad idea.

I also looked through the wiki/forum for information on Melee and was told "Arma2 doesn't really do melee".

I don't think I exactly fit the above description.

Here's a tip I give to all newcomers:

1. Once spawned on the coast, head inland.

2.If you hit

A) A road before hitting a railroad, you are most likely on the east coast

or

B) the railroad before a road you are most likely on the south coast.

3. You can also use the sun/stars as an indicator once you figure out which coast you are on to maintain your bearings.

I'm pretty sure you can figure out where to go from there.

Thanks for the tips.

Some people are so stupid, I just died for the first time in ages, and spawning without a weapon isn't that hard. I just went straight to Elektro fire station and had an MP5 after 10-20 mins of playing...

OK, now my time for a petition :

spawning in underwear. Especially for female characters ! (and with no bandage, and if you stay more than 15 min in underwear you'll die from cold.)

Why not simply leave the choice to the player?

Everytime you die you are asked if you are male or female. You just could ask in addition, if he wants to start the easy way (with gun) or the hard way (no gun). You could even implement a medium difficult start with adding the option to start with a crowbar.

I started some times now and if you are new to the game, it could discourage you and you could think "why not waste my time with sth else". Small mods like this should be easy accessible for new players and for this beeing an Arma2 Mod, this game has enough bugs that yell in your face "Piss off!" (just think about picking up sth).

For me (after starting several times from new) it is no big deal to start without a weapon. But perhaps for a new player it is not (who might become fan later on, if he gets a chance to get familiar with Dayz).

If you leave it as it is, we wont gain as much new players as if we would gain with an "easy" start. It should be good for us all, if we gain more players. More players is more money for the devs. But if we implement an easy start, hardcore players may tend play sth. else (again: the community looses).

You cannot do it right, except if you implement a players choice on this option.

So I clearly vote for "let the player decide".

Maybe like this:

If you die too often right at the beginning without even having one single weapon in your hands the game will ask your to start with a "Hatchet". If you cant make it with the hatchet, the game will ask you to start with a "Makarov"

But the server must be able to seperate between "respawn" and real "dying"

But normally... its kinde simple to get a hatchet or a makarov or even a lee ensfield right after the start.

Maybe like this:

If you die too often right at the beginning without even having one single weapon in your hands the game will ask your to start with a "Hatchet". If you cant make it with the hatchet' date=' the game will ask you to start with a "Makarov"

But normally... its kinde simple to get a hatchet or a makarov or even a lee ensfield right after the start.

[/quote']

Why game should award you for dieing too often? For being bad at game?

DayZ is not Call of Duty and it doesn't have "deathstrikes".

Give them a crowbar. That way they don't have to poop and run every time ONE zombie grumbles at them' date=' but they also feel the need to swap up or better gear. It also has unlimited ammo, so they don't feel the bitter irony of dying with an empty gun in their hand.

[/quote']

^^ this + 100

Maybe like this:

If you die too often right at the beginning without even having one single weapon in your hands the game will ask your to start with a "Hatchet". If you cant make it with the hatchet' date=' the game will ask you to start with a "Makarov"

[/quote']

Why game should award you for dieing too often? For being bad at game?

DayZ is not Call of Duty and it doesn't have "deathstrikes".

I like it the hardcore way too. :P

But it was just a suggestion to help "players" which doesn`t even know how to play a game like that from the beginning. Not anybody is a "hardcore gamer" but would like to play it too. So Dayz could support them with their very "first" step and let them die after it anyway. :D

Maybe just give them a Hatchet and cancel the Makarov.

I love my "Bizon SD" :D

How about making weapons like the winchester or double barreled shotgun,maybe even lee enfield more common because when i went through cherno looting every place i could get to including military camp there were no weapons at all, just alot of ammo for weapons like m1911, g17, lee enfield, m1014, and akm.

Starting with a crowbar......

Have you used that thing? It hits like a makarov. Expect I dont think you can get headshots. ITs fairly useless. If you fight a zombie with it theres a good chance he will make you bleed like a stuck pig or break dem legs.

Being fairly new to this game, starting without a weapon is extremely discouraging. I like the idea of not having one, but the AI of the zombies makes survival almost impossible. Getting chased by a zombie for miles who runs ridiculously fast and can make you bleed to death with one open hand bitch slap kind of makes a person not want to play anymore. If the blood didn't pour out so fast and eating could slowly replenish your blood levels, that would make more sense. Don't get me wrong guys, i'm not raging, its just a viewpoint from a new player. hope it helps.

• Like 1

I'm all for it!

Spawn with a pistol, one bullet, broken legs, and 100 blood (but not bleeding). You get a scroll option for Suicide but with such low blood you have a 99% chance of missing, forcing you to crawl somewhere to obtain morphine and then find someone to give you a blood transfusion.

I'm all for it!

Spawn with a pistol' date=' one bullet, broken legs, and 100 blood (but not bleeding). You get a scroll option for Suicide but with such low blood you have a 99% chance of missing, forcing you to crawl somewhere to obtain morphine and then find someone to give you a blood transfusion.

[/quote']

You're quite the masochist aren't you.

I think you should spawn with a hatchet.