Dagwood

Punish death

Currently there is no penalty for dying. Yes, if you have hard earned gear, death definitely stings. But if you are a fresh-ish spawn charging into elektro or cherno, what have you got to lose?

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the mod right now is player concentration in the south. If you're a fresh spawn, you can head into elektro or cherno, check fire stations and other spawns for a weapon of some kind, and then try to kill another player that has done more looting than you. The alternative is to spend more time looting smaller towns to achieve the same ultimate goal.

The only benefit to taking the latter route is a greater chance of survival. But the truth is that going into a bandit infested city is more exciting, and can be much more rewarding if you can kill one of these geared snipers/campers.

So how do you get people out of the south? You make each player's life more valuable. This could be done with some kind of leveling mechanic, but the community and the developers have made it clear that the game will/should not go in this direction.

What I would suggest is punishing players that get themselves killed over and over. Here is an EXAMPLE of a punishment that could be administered:

John runs into elektro as a fresh spawn. He dies. 10 minutes later John runs back into elektro to get revenge upon his killer. John dies again. As John spawns in again (after his second death within a certain distance or certain time period or both perhaps), he has a decrease movement speed for a small period of time. This could be explained by being drugged or some other in game explanation.

Or perhaps players have a finite number of spawns per day.

Anyone else think player concentration in the south is an issue? And that punishing death should be a part of the game?

Discussion and criticism is always appreciated

I make suggest for this before but I don't remember where is :huh:

I say make fresh spawn 50% health, 50% blood 25% water 25% foods etc  :o

so now is straight away struggle for survive for every things from start, this is big punish if you die with gear and full healths :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ithink spawns need to be more random. Say you might spawn in a farm, a petrol station, or mybe a lighthouse, that'd be better than always spawning on the coast.

I say make fresh spawn 50% health, 50% blood 25% water 25% foods etc  :o

so now is straight away struggle for survive for every things from start, this is big punish if you die with gear and full healths :thumbsup:

Wouldn't that be even MORE of a reason to run into the closest city?

Bigger cities have more spawn-points for loot, thus the chance of finding supplies is much higher.

Wouldn't that be even MORE of a reason to run into the closest city?

Bigger cities have more spawn-points for loot, thus the chance of finding supplies is much higher.

maybe yes, but now is more spawn point for gear in remote place, is for player decide what is best idea for him :thumbsup:

I just try to think of one way to punish death like OP say, for me this is best way because is simple for change and I think it make big positive difference for dayz experience for sure  :)

They might encourage kill on sight because people wouldn't want to die even more than before

They might encourage kill on sight because people wouldn't want to die even more than before

every cloud have silver linings :P

but I think new fear of death make guys think 2 times before make attack ;)

Edited by KoS

Maybe nerfing the firehouse loot tables would help too. If only submachine guns, shotguns and pistols spawned here players would have less incentive to hang around these buildings (and draw in pvp seekers.

I don't like it.  I actually once spawned...got instantly killed...spawn...got killed again.  Then died 3 more times after spawning (no i am not joking).  The punishment of death is losing your progress.  I think this is just going too far.  Also if he takes all the time to run back to revenge himself and kill his killer and the killer is still there.  Then the killer deserves it!  

You never stay in one spot and camp.  You will just show where you are.  People will hear the shots and go looking for you. 

Isn't death in itself punishment enough?

if there were penalties for dying id kill people on sight instead of risking death fucking with them for next hour

I can't tell you how many times this has been suggested. It's blowing my mind, really. Krihelion is exemplifying the point I make every time I hear this.

Making a player's life more valuable will lead to WAY more KoS'ing. 

Here's my thread on the topic:http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144881-valuing-player-lives-faulty-logic/#entry1432126

I just want more people to come up north with me :(

Everyone is content with dicking around in elektro. I don't understand where all of this top tier weaponry is coming from if nobody is ever looting stary or NWAF on a full server....

I just want more people to come up north with me :(

Everyone is content with dicking around in elektro. I don't understand where all of this top tier weaponry is coming from if nobody is ever looting stary or NWAF on a full server....

What are you talking about? There's plenty of people north on most servers... I've seen more people in my experience playing at the NWAF than I ever have at Cherno. Almost every time I've died in this game I've been north.