excursion_@hotmail.com

DayZ expansion suggestion

I was thinking if the guys want to create an expansion to the DayZ game they could possibly consider the following game dynamic.

A new map is made lets call it "new america"

to get to new america you need to travel through Chernarus to a "transport point"

this is a safe zone where your unable to draw your weapon

(surrounded by high mountains to prevent snipers shooting in)

In order to gain passage you need to collect "fingers"

fingers are on everyone when you kill a zombie you go to their body and collect the finger (equally you can kill players and take their fingers)

These fingers do not take up inventory slots.

perhaps 5000 fingers should get you passage to new america.

I think this would encourage zombie killing and give them a "use"

Any thoughts???

how do you plan to implement that without the use of NPCs? (which are still not going to be in the game)

I like the idea of switching maps, but I would connect several servers to a group and allow switching landscapes by boat, plane or car, if the required amount of fuel is in the car.

I've always liked (and suggested) the idea of players being able to transition from one map to another, if it were ever possible it would make the game truly epic.

However, collecting a certain amount of things in order to be able to just seems a tad too "gamey" for me (yeh I know it's a game.) If you wanted to make it so that only experienced players could get to certain areas, I'd just use the enviroment/map itself.

For example, to get to a certain point where you could move to another map could mean that the player would have to pass through some really inhospitable terrain such as a small mountainous region or an area with very high amounts of disease infection and/or zeds.  That way only players that have planned for it and got the correct gear (Warm clothes, food supplies, meds, gas masks etc) would stand a chance of getting there.

That would keep the stlye of the game more in keeping with the "Survival" style and less like a traditional MMO where you just collect random things that make no sense to move on.

Or as suggested above, just use the sea as a natural barrier meaning you'd need a boat/plane/heli and enough fuel.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I would prefer they be separate hives altogether. But, why stop it if it's possible?

I believe Rocket has mentioned EVE as a sort of inspiration for something he would like to do. Basically there is a entire galaxy in the game and you jump through jump gates to get to the next system. But the jump gates don't look like loading screens even though they pretty much are. While there are multiple servers in EVE, it doesn't seem like it. It's not like regular MMO's where you select a server when you start the game. You just start the game. Different areas are run on different servers. They are kind of implementing something basic from that model. They are doing, basically, squares on the map. If your character is inside of one of those squares he will receive data from that square from the server. We won't be receiving data from the entire map. Meaning we should get a lot better performance. At least that's what I understood from the devblog and all that. But yeah if they were to, say, put in a U.S. city, it would probably be like flying for a little bit and then loading into another server to skip flying across the entire ocean.

• Like 1

Please god. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!. Keep DayZ away from America, please keep it in Europe, I'm so fucking tired of you Americans. No America map please! Nobody cares. And I don't think there should be expansions. I think, just keep it in Europe.

• Like 1

Please god. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!. Keep DayZ away from America, please keep it in Europe, I'm so fucking tired of you Americans. No America map please! Nobody cares. And I don't think there should be expansions. I think, just keep it in Europe.

Racist much? I wasn't saying it should be in America. I was just using it as an example. Has anyone here heard of The Crew? Somehow they inputted the entirety of the United States into it (an MMO racing game). I think Dean needs to find out how they (Ubisoft) did it! And then input the entire world!!! Yeah I know that would probably be years off, but it would be amazing!
  • Like 1

Just make a similar map that you can go over to true like a mountain passage or something like that. Include a couple of cities like elektro and cherno and some small villages. Also make some snowy mountain areas that are really cold and require special winter clothes to survive longer times in. I'm sure the Dayz devs. could make that interesting enough. Also add some features like having a dog, new weapons, vehicles (snow mobile?), building a house (make it not to hard to build a little crap steel hut, but harder the bigger the house would be so that the map not gonna be crowded with big houses) and other cool stuff 

• Like 1

Just make a similar map that you can go over to true like a mountain passage or something like that. Include a couple of cities like elektro and cherno and some small villages. Also make some snowy mountain areas that are really cold and require special winter clothes to survive longer times in. I'm sure the Dayz devs. could make that interesting enough. Also add some features like having a dog, new weapons, vehicles (snow mobile?), building a house (make it not to hard to build a little crap steel hut, but harder the bigger the house would be so that the map not gonna be crowded with big houses) and other cool stuff 

Why would you want another map exactly like Chernaurs, but colder? Variety is the spice of life, as "they" say.

Yeah, no USA! How about Irak... with American soldiers, or Afganistan... with American soldiers, or South Korea with American soldiers, or... what the heck? Do a USA map ;)

Yeah, no USA! How about Irak... with American soldiers, or Afganistan... with American soldiers, or South Korea with American soldiers, or... what the heck? Do a USA map ;)

It doesn't have to be a U.S. map (and I'm just using this as an example), but a map like NYC or some similar large city like that would be pretty sweet! We already have the more country type of map.

Just kidding ;) lmo the more maps the better. We can argue the pros and cons of each, but ultimatly it is the playes who are going to show which one would be the better by playing in it.

Just kidding ;) lmo the more maps the better. We can argue the pros and cons of each, but ultimatly it is the playes who are going to show which one would be the better by playing in it.

I agree. But I don't know why anyone would want pretty much the same map only colder.

I've always liked (and suggested) the idea of players being able to transition from one map to another, if it were ever possible it would make the game truly epic.

However, collecting a certain amount of things in order to be able to just seems a tad too "gamey" for me (yeh I know it's a game.) If you wanted to make it so that only experienced players could get to certain areas, I'd just use the enviroment/map itself.

For example, to get to a certain point where you could move to another map could mean that the player would have to pass through some really inhospitable terrain such as a small mountainous region or an area with very high amounts of disease infection and/or zeds.  That way only players that have planned for it and got the correct gear (Warm clothes, food supplies, meds, gas masks etc) would stand a chance of getting there.

That would keep the stlye of the game more in keeping with the "Survival" style and less like a traditional MMO where you just collect random things that make no sense to move on.

Or as suggested above, just use the sea as a natural barrier meaning you'd need a boat/plane/heli and enough fuel.

I think Tactical's idea of gates would work well if I understand what he means.

For example let's use the northern part of the map.  Let's say they added huge mountains where the the beginning of the debug fields are.  Upon arriving that the mountains you would have to climb over them.  After climbing to the top and other side it could essentially tp you into what I'll call the traveling world.  Like how Rocket plans to have a separate world type thing for underground bases, the traveling world could be like this.  It would take away from the immersion but would hopefully help for smoother gameplay.  This travelling world could be similar to how you had to travel to different cities in the first Assassin Creed.  Once you reach the other map, it tps you into the next map.  

Now I'm no game developer or programmer but I think that, what I suggested could make it possible to have as many maps combined into one map.  If SA had to render all the maps and travelling "worlds" at once, then I think most players would have a hard time running the game.

I hope I made my idea clear because I'm not the best at it.

I think Tactical's idea of gates would work well if I understand what he means.

For example let's use the northern part of the map.  Let's say they added huge mountains where the the beginning of the debug fields are.  Upon arriving that the mountains you would have to climb over them.  After climbing to the top and other side it could essentially tp you into what I'll call the traveling world.  Like how Rocket plans to have a separate world type thing for underground bases, the traveling world could be like this.  It would take away from the immersion but would hopefully help for smoother gameplay.  This travelling world could be similar to how you had to travel to different cities in the first Assassin Creed.  Once you reach the other map, it tps you into the next map.  

Now I'm no game developer or programmer but I think that, what I suggested could make it possible to have as many maps combined into one map.  If SA had to render all the maps and travelling "worlds" at once, then I think most players would have a hard time running the game.

I hope I made my idea clear because I'm not the best at it.

Yeah that's pretty much what they have in EVE. But the only problem with that is the server architecture isn't there (in DayZ) as far as I know. Obviously it can be done, but I think it would a lot of work.

I love that so many people got hung up on the "new america" map that I suggested, it was an example to demonstrate how the map architecture would work.

I only used new america as an example to show it was a totally different map with different challenges. Hard to get more unlike cherno than an america map.

Honestly I couldn't give a sh*t what the other map is I am just trying to give a suggestion on "how" we transition not "what" we transition too.

I do like the idea of natural transition points on the map, mountains and valleys etc. My suggestion was ultimately the same but perhaps to elaborate and with to many "rules".

The edge of the map is a perfect point to transition, creating roads and passes that trigger a transition event would work.

We are possibly forgetting about the server mechanics, currently DayZ allows you to join any server, it would need to be smart enough to only display servers hosting the map your character is on, if it doesn't do this then you could end up with a character on cherno and a character on the "other map".

Thanks for the feedback TacticalN29 I hope this simple and effective solution can be used in the future.

This idea has been discussed here on the forums a lot before and the basic idea of using transpor/teleport scripts like in other games like The Elder Scrolls for example  is of course always the same but in our case there are two points to consider.

1. All maps have to be stored on the main hive  and all have to use the same DayZ vanilla resources and game mechanics  etc which could include of course new items and weapons. New items and  weapons could be then brought back to Chernarus for example. 

2. Since we will not see new official maps that soon, the only way i can see something like that happen is using community made maps created in close cooperation with the devs to make sure they fit the quality standarts and background lore.

+1, it would make this game epic.It should be definetly added into DayZ.