Sign in to follow this  
Beck (DayZ)

The Server Count is Too Damn High!

Summer 2012: 

WE NEED MORE SERVERS!

Summer 2013: 

STOP MAKING SERVERS!

So true....

People play non-vanilla, non-public servers because they are easier and more conducive to team play and clan warfare. It's easier and quicker to get everyone equipped with military weaponry and when there are 50+ choppers they can even hunt down their prey in style.

I think a lot of people just love the feel of a military sim and dayz happened to be their first exposure to that kind of game(as it was mine). Vanilla dayz wants and needs to get away from where it came from.

At the moment most mods are wasteland with training wheels (zombie motion sensors). I'm a firm believer that the portion of the community sticking to vanilla, public servers will be better prepared for the pace and mentality required to survive in the SA. If 90% of players want to play other mods, more power to them.

Like Blake said, as long as there are enough players to fill one server of the version I prefer that's all I need.

I've remained on a vanilla public hive server one way or another my entire time playing DayZ. par a few maps, I don't really delve into things like Origins or Breaking Point. both of which I think are really moving away from what DayZ is meant to be, and both are pretty horrid in my opinion. I'm starting to touch into group play, as I'm part of a squad that branches out into more sub squads(ie: we're all allied to eachother, but we have our own squads of people that join with us, we share one main stash of loot and have many others that we keep to ourselves.) It's pretty fun going out for parts to repair our helicopter, infilitrating an enemy who stole our gear, or going to Elektro to save some innocents. Shure, it becomes complicated when it's about a 20/30/50 split from Hero, Survivor, and Bandit, but we still manage to get along, work together, and get the time to do our own thing. While I'm normally accustomed to a two player thing, this has really made the game more fun going around saving people, raiding airfields, counter sniping, and plain old goofing off. This is how I enjoy the DayZ mod, not some other shit people are always telling me to play. "Oh, the original mod is boring," or "Oh, it's gotten too old.". Shure, it's starting to wear off, but I'm not quitting until Standalone or someone makes a Moschyni island map.

If the SA runs on Linux servers then we'll see better performance, Windows licenses are just far too much money so server spec suffers :( Linux OS will mean all money goes towards better machines.

Also, you don't need a server in the UK, anywhere in Europe will give good latency, France (OVH), Germany (Hetzner) or the Netherlands (Leaseweb).

But that would be alienating us Americans. But then again, that would give us an excuse to send in the Marines so we can subdue you, and then take all your wonderful internet in a peace treaty agreement.

But that would be alienating us Americans. But then again, that would give us an excuse to send in the Marines so we can subdue you, and then take all your wonderful internet in a peace treaty agreement.

YOU CAN TAKE OUR LIVES...

BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE...

OUR INTERNET!

Stop modding,its divided the Arma 2 community.

What good can come out of this?

no kidding..

i wonder how many people would even still be playing dayz (in any form) if it werent for new mods/maps.

i know i'd be looooong gone if i were only able to play vanilla Dayz on Cherno.

• Like 1

All the mods are made by players that have played the game for very long but still suck at the original dayz because they don't understand the game and are angry because they got owned by a 12 year old bandit with Winchester 1866 in elektro that later abused him over voice chat so they decided to make their own mod that they were the masters at. 

So when you join another dayz mod you will just feed the trolls when you die because then they feel good because they are not the worst player on earth

Just kidding but I think what the topic starter says is true and we should all play the original Dayz, na just kidding all I want is to have my DMR for myself and have sex with it on the nights. Not kidding  

Go on guys give me your beans im waiting

Edited by kealthkewk

To a certain level of degree I still play vanilla dayz but there are still a lot of differences.  The server I play on has a few extra weapons added to it, some extra buildings and plugins, and bambis spawn with revolvers like they did when DayZ first came out.

I've tried playing some of the other DayZ mods like Origins and Breaking Point but something just doesn't feel right about them.  Namalsk is the only other DayZ map that I've played a lot on and I think the reason why, is because of how hard it is to survive on it.

I know a lot of people though who have grown bored of vanilla DayZ and moved on to other DayZ mods.  To be honest, I can't blame them.  The vanilla mod only offers so much stuff.  As discussed way to much, once you get basic gear, a camp, vehicles, and maybe a chopper, there is nothing left to do unless you like to KoS.  Mods of DayZ seem to give players more to do than what vanilla has to offer and I think that is why many players have moved over to these mods.

• Like 1

And to make a serious post now, everything your either interested, new on or good on has always been fun for me. So if you for an example is interested in zombies and survival you would probably enjoy the original Dayz (and probably some of the mods), if you are new to the game you would probably think it would be fun to explore it (finding weapons and exploring the map) and if your good at Dayz you would probably think it would be fun to just play it because you enjoy being good. IDK if that's how it is for you but it's always been like that for me. 

YOU CAN TAKE OUR LIVES...

BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE...

OUR INTERNET!

No, but we can stop by your internet cafe's to play WoW.

Tick the "hide unofficial" box on the left side of commander near the top. Then it will only show you public hive servers. And there aren't actually that many that are populated =\

I think one of the funniest things about this whole debacle is how everyone mods DayZ to be more like a mil sim. Damnit I know you all own ArmA2 and the combat in ArmA2 is so much more hardcore and difficult. Took a group of DayZ players into an ArmA2 game once, they refused to believe it was harder, and they all fell flat on their faces.

STOP MAKING DAYZ INTO ARMA2! Go buy ArmA3 and get your jollies.

• Like 1

While I haven't been playing dayz since it came out, I have to say hands down the main reason I don't play vanilla anymore is for three reasons.

1. There isn't enough to do as many others have already said, once you get a car, a camp, some decent gear and a chopper... there isn't really any reason to play anymore aside from hunting other players... which leads me into my next reason.

2. I am a terrible bandit, don't mistake that for me being a bad player.... I am just too damn friendly. Many, many times I have let my prey leave my sights after having a nice chat with him or giving him a weapon or some food or just being friendly to the guy..... I was supposed to shoot him dammi!(or at least take his gear not give him mine!!) but that being said since I am a terrible bandit I tend to look for servers that have other things for me to do that occupy my time instead of hunting down everything with a pulse once I get some decent gear. Such as but not limited too: Base Building, AI Missions, Crafting, Raidable AI Strongholds, ect and at least in my opinion it is more rewarding for me and my friends to spend 2 or 3 hours trying to fight our way into a stronghold than it is to sit on a hill at North East Airfield and snipe every player who comes down to check out the barracks for gear terrified that someone is going to shoot him the moment he walks out the door with his loot.

3. Lastly the other reason I avoid vanilla servers like the plauge is simply because they feel so outdated when you play on them imo, for instance I have been playing Overwatch over other servers lately almost exclusively because of the new smoother animations and updated weapon sounds. Normally I don't care about things like that but when a version of a mod looks/sounds/runs better than another version does then it becomes hard for me to ignore.

Honestly I see the modding community as what has kept Day Z and its playerbase from stagnating and fading into obscurity. They are what are keeping DayZ going and pushing the boundries of what can be done with this game and bringing new and innovative ideas into the mix that enhance the experience for most if not all in some way.