Sign in to follow this  
Beck (DayZ)

The Server Count is Too Damn High!

The community is spread thin. With thousands of servers and 50 different DayZ mods, the community has branched so far apart I find it hard to believe we will all be able to unite and play the same game when stand-alone comes out. Unfortunately the community has VERY different opinions on what direction the mod(s) should go, and this in turn affects how the stand-alone will fare when it is released.

Jjc6cr8.jpg

STOP MAKING DIFFERENT DAYZ MODS!

5D3u4mq.jpg

STOP MAKING SERVERS!

wFfwM0d.jpgSTOP KILLING EVERYONE!

This post was made so we can all share our opinions on the current situation with the increasing amount of servers, and mods, that are sending the DayZ community in different directions (or not).

Edited by Beck
  • Like 18

Yea, I guess.  We will see.  Looks like there is going to be more loot in standalone and more enterable buildings.  So thats similar to a lot of the mods right now.  

And we will have to see how much servers can be modified, Im sure a good amount will be changeable, and Im sure we will have modded servers for the standalone.  

So you may be right, I sometimes find it hard to believe we will all be playing the same game, maybe we wont.  

• Like 1

The problem is:

13% of the players are so busy playing tit-for-tat (or quid-pro-quo for the more professional of you) that they don't play DayZ at all, but simply scour for servers that give them free stuff and lots of vehicles in some manner or another.

12% of the players are high-and-mighty assholes (not entirely unlike myself) and immediately drop a nuclear F-bomb every time a DayZ update comes out, cursing this-or-that feature, claiming Dean ruined the game, and play previous versions.

60% of the players are playing so many different mods (which are ALL awful in my opinion) with no public hive system which further divides us.

14% of players play on 3-person private hives

1% of players are on public hives... <--- the best and smallest group.

• Like 5

You just jogged my memory of the issues with the public/private hive system. Many private hive servers are very successful in keeping the day community alive but others just push us apart. (Horribly administrated servers with poor performance from cheap server providers)

Before the massive private hive takeover the support staff and dayz administrative staff actually handled the issues with the horribly administrated PUBLIC hive servers but I've have seen compliants about the OFFICIAL HIVE servers being abused by horrible admins with barely any response. I haven't heard of a public hive being blacklisted in a very long time.

Edit: it must be quite a pain in the ass, for the day z team to manage the issues of thousands of public hive servers from outside providers. Blacklist a server, that person can just go but another one for $40?

Edited by Beck

I'm a vanilla public hive slut. Any game that can be modded will end up with a massively divided community, just got to find what suits for yourself :) 98.62 % of all stats are made up, there is a 79% chance of that. As long as there is enough full pop Vanilla SA servers i will be 82 % happy.

• Like 4

OP is right on his observations, though I think most users/players are after the same features more or less. It's not a matter of different directions but more of a features/polishing race.

For example, why do most people play DayZero? Cause of the optimization that (as I've heard)is much more pc friendly and gives more fps/less stuttering to the end user. If the vanilla mod had this kind of optimization then there wouldn't be a need for DayZero. Also some extra features, such as vehicle towing, or vehicle lift with a heli (talking about a balanced system, can't lift a ural with a little bird obviously), part scavenging from vehicles, fuel siphoning from vehicles and some kind of base/stash building (big discussion, won't elaborate, you get my point though) are the main reasons people prefer one mod over the vanilla one. Features as spawning with an as50 and 5 antibiotics in an alice pack, or AI bases with high end gear, aliens and unicorns are out of the question (for me at least).

So my point is, if the vanilla mod had all the above in a thoughful and balanced way there would be no need for the other 50 mods and the community wouldn't be as fragmented as is it now. But in order for this to happen, the vanilla mod needs support, both from the community and from the SA team. Community needs to get more organized (some kind of new features forum section, dedicated to this, strictly no offtopic allowed, no memes, no thread derailing, just feedback, brainstorming and more polls) and SA team needs to be there for the mod. Can't have months passing waiting for the approval of a new patch and litterally having the mod's devs chasing the SA team for a reply. This is just wrong. If it keeps working this way, expect the vanilla mod to fall behind the other mods much more than it already has.

And this is the opinion of a person that has only played the vanilla mod and will keep doing so (looking forward to 1.7.7.2).

• Like 5

You speak at least 79 % truth.

You really like those statistics. I'm at least 90% sure of that.

Back to topic: People can play whatever they want. Chances are that people will mod the SA too (If we can).

As far as i know, there are still plenty of full public hive servers.

If it wasent for moding of the mod, the dayz mod would have been dead long time ago. mabey not dead, but the community would have been what it is today. and that my friends is a 100% fact :P

• Like 6

If it wasent for moding of the mod, the dayz mod would have been dead long time ago. mabey not dead, but the community would have been what it is today. and that my friends is a 100% fact :P

Yup, too true.  It's a double-edged sword really.

It has fragmented the community but at least we still have a community.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

The problem is that a lot of people will expect full mod support in the standalone, and that's just not going to happen at launch. So will people play Rockets game if they can't change it to suit their needs? We'll see I guess.

The problem is that a lot of people will expect full mod support in the standalone, and that's just not going to happen at launch. So will people play Rockets game if they can't change it to suit their needs? We'll see I guess.

In that sense it'll be like any other game without full modding support.  If people don't like it they'll have to play something else I guess.

The problem with many mods (or private servers with custom scripts etc) is that many of them are trying to be all things to all people to become popular or raise player numbers.  In many cases that has ruined or at least diluted the DayZ experience.

The SA will hopefully focus the gameplay and standardise the experience for everyone that wants to play it.  Not everyone is going to like that and there will be many tears for people that have got used to a lot of the other styles of playing but it can't please everyone.  It just needs to stay focused and make sure the things that it does do, it does well.

• Like 2

Exactly right, I got bored of Chernarus and moved to Lingor, that was when there were only 2 choices, Chernarus or Lingor, Now i'll only play Taviana despite it's faults.

The different mods are like Ice cream :) everyone has their own favorite flavours.

The community isn't really divided, you just have your chocholate lovers, strawberry lovers and vanilla lovers playing the same thing but to their own tastes, Dayz Redux can be coffee flavour cause nobody really likes it, yet it's still available :lol:

i've always been stick to the original mod, i barely played other maps..i just moved to private hives when the hacking thing was rampant..but i think everyone is free to play his game..so i'm open to new servers/mods..they make the community stronger imo.

12% of the players are high-and-mighty assholes (not entirely unlike myself)

y'aint an asshole, m8, yer just a feckin self-obsessed prick.. beans for that self-deprecation though, good to see you in good humour.. :)

that said, i think that statistic of yours is missing the "1-3 players public hive server" option..

imagine going to rent server for 150 man standalne server :lol:

in uk you know how much they charge for a decent gaming server with modern game ? when new often 1 pound per person ! 150 quid a month !

thats some finance right there ! :o

will be interesting to see how the server groups handle the pricing on this when released. i dont think youll see many large servers tbh which is a shame.

waits for sti gaming saying we do smooth servers at 30 dollars !! :lol: (smooth as a 1970s blackout )

Edited by dgeesio

If the SA runs on Linux servers then we'll see better performance, Windows licenses are just far too much money so server spec suffers :( Linux OS will mean all money goes towards better machines.

Also, you don't need a server in the UK, anywhere in Europe will give good latency, France (OVH), Germany (Hetzner) or the Netherlands (Leaseweb).