Statik (DayZ)

FRAPS Problems...

Hey guys,

So I have FRAPS, and as of late I've been having problems with it. I record at 30fps, and everything is fine. After a while, I start to lag horribly. Any idea's on how to fix this?

I've heard it's because my hard drive is full, but I have a 2TB hard drive, and still have a few hundred GB free.

Thanks for any ideas.

P.S. No, I'm not getting Dxtory. I'm keeping FRAPS.

Get Dxto...rrrrays of sunshine! On my head!

oh sorry i was just singing.

I had this issues with fraps and it is the sole reason I decided to go with...different software...

• Like 3

The only shitty thing about Fraps is it's massive file sizes.  I have a 500 GB hard drive and it became full after only a couple hours of recording.  Also, hard drives will tend to make your CPU lag horribly when they're nearing their maximum capacity.  This may be a possible reason to the problem you're describing.

If this is the case, the only thing I could suggest would be buying an external hard drive or stop recording and compress the files every couple hours.

Edited by Barack Obama

Don't forget to have a good defrag and disk clean-up too.  If you haven't done it for a long time it can really help.

• Like 2

Don't forget to have a good defrag and disk clean-up too.  If you haven't done it for a long time it can really help.

Thats actually a great point, try a defrag thats probably the issue, fraps is using too much CPU looking for clear sectors to store data in.

Is the game running off the same drive you are writing to? I always record on a separate disk, Fraps takes up a lot of the drives bandwidth.

Edited by vandal gab

Yes I am recording onto the same HDD I run my game off.

I'm going to really try to clean all my shit off my CPU. I might have to look into defragging as well

For best results with Fraps it's worth buying a SSD to Write to, long videos used to bring my FPS down into the 20's when running from and writing to the same HDD.

Edited by vandal gab

I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my OS, ArmA, etc. Then I might run FRAPS off that, and write to my HDD.

Just to make your life more confusing... i got fraps recording brilliantly by recording to a partition on my main HD.  When I was using an external HD it was slow as hell but it all depends on your hardware.  My external HD is a cheap POS.

• Like 1

Yeah that will help no end, this is a great video and worth a look for a fraps user..

Edited by vandal gab

Just to make your life more confusing... i got fraps recording brilliantly by recording to a partition on my main HD.  When I was using an external HD it was slow as hell but it all depends on your hardware.  My external HD is a cheap POS.

Out of interest what are your system specs Fraggle?

I have a pic of hes comp right here......

zKkgyb0.jpg

• Like 2

Sure, don't laugh though, I have PC spec envy:  6GB RAM, AMD HD5700 GFX, Q8300 Quad Core 2.5ghz.  And I'm running Windows 7 64bit OS. 

As you can see it's a pretty dated system now, I literally haven't upgraded one single thing for 3 years (ish) and even back then it was far from a dedicated gaming rig.  If I can play and record Arma 3 at decent framerates then you guy's shouldn't have any issues at all if you get it set up right.  Here's an example vid (pretty shit) I made a little while ago.  If you watch it you can see that I drop frames occasionally and it could be much quicker but for my old system I'm pretty happy with it.  Having said that though I may try MSI Afterburner after what you guys have said to see if it improves.

*Edit - Actually I just watched that vid back and the fps is pretty poor compared so some others I've done but you get the idea anyway :/

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1