exdeath

Mayke the world a 'living world".

Day z could have sort of a living world.

Having all humans and  zombies already on the map when it start and having users starting as a random human when they join the server, is impossible at least with current tech.

So I come with a different idea to make the world more living.

After some server is created, the first player that joins it, start normaly.

When some player decides to quit the server he needs to wait some time (small time) if someone join while he is leaving the thread the player that is joining the server, start as this char as the position he were.

If the player leaving the server wants, he can wait to more if he want someone to start with his char.

When joining a server for the first time (unless you are the first guy to do it), if someone else is logging out while you do it, you start as this char, if not, you start normaly.

If you log out and then try to join the server again, you will join as someone else char if they were trying to log out when you joined the server, if no one was trying to log out while you joined it, you will join as your old char, if no one became your last char while you logged out last time or you will join as a new one, if a guy did it.

PS: the same rules that works for logging in, works for dying, if  you dying and you are trying to respawn on the same server, and at this time some player is trying to log out, you will join his char.

Edited by exdeath

Hello there

Im somewhat confused.

Does OP mean we should take over eachothers characters?

Help an old horse?

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Im somewhat confused.

Help an old horse?

Rgds

LoK

I think so.

So I take the long route up from Kamanka to Zel and spend an hour or so getting my basic gear then log off for a while. I then log back on later and I'm deathmatching in Cherno?

Why? :S

• Like 3

Hello there

Im somewhat confused.

Help an old horse?

Rgds

LoK

Yes. But you will only take someone else char, if you join some server while a guy is leaving it or if you die and try to respawn whle someone is leaving the server.

I think so.

So I take the long route up from Kamanka to Zel and spend an hour or so getting my basic gear then log off for a while. I then log back on later and I'm deathmatching in Cherno?

Why? :S

1-If you log out and no one was trying to log in on the same server, you will not "lose your char" to someone else.

2-If you "lose your char" they are gone, if you "lose your char" when you log back, you will

2.1- Start with a new char if no one is loging out on the same server

2.2-Start with the char someone was playing if this a player is logging out while you log in

2.3-Start with your old char at a different situation, but only if someone that was using your old char is loging in.

The idea of that is to make the world, a living world.

PS: IF NO ONE JOINS THE SERVER WHILE YOU ARE TRYING TO LOG OUT AND THEN NO ONE IS TRYING TO LOG OUT ON THIS SAME WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO LOG IN BACK, EVERYTHING WILL HAPPEN ON THE SAME WAY.

Edited by exdeath

Having all humans and  zombies already on the map when it start and having users starting as a random human when they join the server, is impossible at least with current tech.

That's already simulated?

While I'm at it I'll have access to your bank accounts and girlfriend / wife please. Cheers.

That's already simulated?

No, its not.

With that impossible idea, the servers would start at a preset state, with some zombies on the map and humans at specific parts of the world.

Npcs would control all humans.

When someone join the server they would start to control one of those random human at the situation he was at the time this player logged.

When the player logs out, the ai would go back to  controling the human.

Thats how the impossible idea would work.

While I'm at it I'll have access to your bank accounts and girlfriend / wife please. Cheers.

There is no "my char" with that idea. The world is a living world and you start as a guy from it.

But why?

What's the point in trying to survive when there's a random chance you could lose your char when you log off or in?

Might as well just deathmatch in Cherno because 1) I might lose my char anyway and 2) even if I die I might start with a geared up char next time.

It just makes no sense.

• Like 4

Npcs would control all humans.

When someone join the server they would start to control one of those random human at the situation he was at the time this player logged.

Why in the hell would I want to play a game, where as soon as I log out, I lose all my progress because an NPC gets all my gear lost by being killed? I don't care if it's impossible; it's stupid.

---and no it isn't impossible. Have you played Vanilla ArmA 2? Thats exactly how joining multiplayer works; you take over an AI, and when you leave the AI takes you over. in fact, that's even how DayZ works: A bunch of AI-disabled units are placed off-map, which then get taken over and get their teleport (for first time playing), and then the server remembers your log out information, puts you in control of an AI, and teleports that unit to your last location.

• Like 2

But why?

What's the point in trying to survive when there's a random chance you could lose your char when you log off or in?

Might as well just deathmatch in Cherno because 1) I might lose my char anyway and 2) even if I die I might start with a geared up char next time.

It just makes no sense.

You beat me too it. >.>

Umm yeah I agree with everyone else.  I wouldn't even play SA if this feature was implemented.  I don't like the idea of sharing a char with others and loosing mine.  I'm not even sure where you're fully trying to go with this, OP.

Edited by Skat3rat

1-If you log out and no one was trying to log in on the same server, you will not "lose your char" to someone else.

2-If you "lose your char" they are gone, if you "lose your char" when you log back, you will

2.1- Start with a new char if no one is loging out on the same server

2.2-Start with the char someone was playing if this a player is logging out while you log in

2.3-Start with your old char at a different situation, but only if someone that was using your old char is loging in.

The idea of that is to make the world, a living world.

PS: IF NO ONE JOINS THE SERVER WHILE YOU ARE TRYING TO LOG OUT AND THEN NO ONE IS TRYING TO LOG OUT ON THIS SAME WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO LOG IN BACK, EVERYTHING WILL HAPPEN ON THE SAME WAY.

j9hs27C.png?1

• Like 2

This would give you zero connection to your character, making immersion non existent if you just knew some kid could log on while you're logging off, see all his awesome gear he just got with no effort, run to Cherno, die, and then log off and back on until he gets another character.

Number of exploitations is too damn high!

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

No seriously. This makes the game a little more unrealistic and unfair. I log of from my SVD game to end up being shot in the face by a makarov.

No.

What's the point of this and how does it make it a "living world"? Either there is no logic or I can't understand it.

Okay...so if I'm understanding you correctly, which I'm having some difficulty believing...you want all the player slots to spawn in at the start of a server as NPCs.  And as players join in to a server the NPCs will be randomly taken over by a player.  And as they logged out their char would become an NPC again?  Is this correct?

I'm sorry to use such blunt terms, harsh language, and shit on your idea, which might actually be a good idea for some other game and genre, but this is just stupid for DayZ.  I mean yes, most of us agree that the first and second rules of DayZ are: don't get attached to your gear...but still this is just stupid on multiple levels.

First, what supercomputer do you think Bohemia has that they can run this clusterfuck on?

Second, assuming Rocket has a massive brain aneurysm and thinks this is a good idea and starts working on it, how long do you think this will take them to program it just to get them back to the stage they are at now?

Third, this would just suck, not knowing if your going to log into some random poor bastard thats infected, down to 300 health, bleeding and surrounded by zombies with no equipment, or if you managed to win the Powerball and log into Superking Badass McDualwieldingM107s fully decked out in gear and guns.

Fourth, while I might just be a noob to Arma2, the AI (at least when I play) is bordering on Moronic and at the same time highly unforgiving and accurate.  Whats to stop all these NPC survivors form just wiping out all the zombies or each other without themselves being wiped out by the zombies?

Fifth, what happens when all the NPCs are killed?  Does the server just reboot or does it add in some new NPCs as they get killed?

I don't know about you, but when I log in, I'm not RandomChenarian #481053, I'm Big Mike, Employed as a Driver and Mechanic of Ikaika Industries' PMC branch, lone survivor of the cargo ship I.I.S. Ewa Maru, and Hawaiian washed up in this cold shit hole of a country.

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 1

I don't know if this has been said yet, but no!

I don't want to lose my gear because some CoD-kid ran into Cherno screaming on direct chat.

What's the point of this and how does it make it a "living world"? Either there is no logic or I can't understand it.

The game makes it a more living world because a char will have a smaller chance of magically disapear, if you log out (and someone try to log in into the server) this same guy will continue to exist on the server.

On normal day z, if you log out, the char simply goes out.

I don't know if this has been said yet, but no!

I don't want to lose my gear because some CoD-kid ran into Cherno screaming on direct chat.

You will only lose your char on those situations:

1-You are loging out and at the exact same time someone else ON THE SAME SERVER died and is respawning

2-You are logging out and at the exact same time someone is joining the SAME server

3-You are logging in and at the exact same time someone is loging out.

On those 3 situations you already "lost" "your" char, no matter if he is a cod player or a very hardcore player.

On situation 3 there is no way to get your char back and on situation 1 and 2 the only way to play again with your char is if someone that in controlling this same char you used to play, tries to log out while you are respawning or logging in.

No seriously. This makes the game a little more unrealistic and unfair. I log of from my SVD game to end up being shot in the face by a makarov.

No.

See what I said before on this post, if you log out from a server, you will continue with your char, you will only lose it IF and only IF someone was trying to log in at the same time you were trying to log out. Or if when you join the server next, someone is trying to log out while you log in. In non of those cases you will lsoe your char because of a shot in the face, but because some other player is controlling them.

Okay...so if I'm understanding you correctly, which I'm having some difficulty believing...you want all the player slots to spawn in at the start of a server as NPCs.  And as players join in to a server the NPCs will be randomly taken over by a player.  And as they logged out their char would become an NPC again?  Is this correct?

Nope, that is not what I want, i said 2 ideas, one is impossible and the second one, that is the one I want on the game (because the first one is impossible at this time).

The one I want works like this.

When you join some server for the first time you start with a default char.

Every time you join some server (even the first time you join it), the game will check if there is someone trying to log out, if yes, you will start to control this char that was trying to log out from the server at the same situation he was, with same itens and everything.

If you die and tries to respawn, if someone is trying to log out, instead of respawning with a fresh char, you start with the char that this player that was playting the game was using, at the same situation with same items,.........

If you are trying to log out from the server and someone is trying to log in, this guy will take over your char. When starting again at this server, you will start with a new blank char, unless some of the situations I said before happen (so, someone is trying to log out when you log in).

Situations where the game would continue as usual (but you would have a different char per server):

You respawn and while no one was trying to log out (most of the cases)

You log out while no one was trying to log in into the server. (most of the cases)

You log in into the server while no one was trying to log out. (most of the cases)

Edited by exdeath

I don't know where you get that it's impossible (and I'm surprised no one else has stated this), but Rocket has already confirmed that all zombies will spawn into the map at the start of server. They can only be taken off the map by killing them.

I don't know where you get that it's impossible (and I'm surprised no one else has stated this), but Rocket has already confirmed that all zombies will spawn into the map at the start of server. They can only be taken off the map by killing them.

The idea I said was impossible would work like this.

You have the entire map filled with bodies, zombies, animals, and humans. Every living being (and zombies) that would be on the map at some point of time, will be at the map when it start. Lets imagine the map start at august 1 2013 15:00, every living being that was at the area at august 1 2013 15:00 will be there and they will be at the place and situation they would be at the time.

Every living being would be controlled by ai.

The game would have literally no respawn,  when you respawn you just start to control some random human that was previously controlled by AI, when you leave the server the AI start to control back the human.

Also no itens would be respawned, the itens could be created (if item creation is one of the gameplay features of the game that has this gameplay idea) but you can only pick itens that were at the start of the game or created itens.

After just some amount of humans remain, the server would restart back to the starting point.

I dont think this idea is possible right now.

Edited by exdeath

The idea I said was impossible would work like this.

You have the entire map filled with bodies, zombies, animals, and humans. Every living being (and zombies) that would be on the map at some point of time, will be at the map when it start. Lets imagine the map start at august 1 2013 15:00, every living being that was at the area at august 1 2013 15:00 will be there and they will be at the place and situation they would be at the time.

Every living being would be controlled by ai.

The game would have literally no respawn,  when you respawn you just start to control some random human that was previously controlled by AI, when you leave the server the AI start to control back the human.

Also no itens would be respawned, the itens could be created (if item creation is one of the gameplay features of the game that has this gameplay idea) but you can only pick itens that were at the start of the game or created itens.

After just some amount of humans remain, the server would restart back to the starting point.

I dont think this idea is possible right now.

Well as I said every zombie on the map will spawn at server start and will not de-spawn unless killed. However the rest of your idea would never be accepted by the DayZ community. I don't think Rocket would ever implement it either. Not trying to be rude, just real.

The game makes it a more living world because a char will have a smaller chance of magically disapear, if you log out (and someone try to log in into the server) this same guy will continue to exist on the server.

On normal day z, if you log out, the char simply goes out.

You will only lose your char on those situations:

1-You are loging out and at the exact same time someone else ON THE SAME SERVER died and is respawning

2-You are logging out and at the exact same time someone is joining the SAME server

3-You are logging in and at the exact same time someone is loging out.

On those 3 situations you already "lost" "your" char, no matter if he is a cod player or a very hardcore player.

On situation 3 there is no way to get your char back and on situation 1 and 2 the only way to play again with your char is if someone that in controlling this same char you used to play, tries to log out while you are respawning or logging in.

See what I said before on this post, if you log out from a server, you will continue with your char, you will only lose it IF and only IF someone was trying to log in at the same time you were trying to log out. Or if when you join the server next, someone is trying to log out while you log in. In non of those cases you will lsoe your char because of a shot in the face, but because some other player is controlling them.

Nope, that is not what I want, i said 2 ideas, one is impossible and the second one, that is the one I want on the game (because the first one is impossible at this time).

The one I want works like this.

When you join some server for the first time you start with a default char.

Every time you join some server (even the first time you join it), the game will check if there is someone trying to log out, if yes, you will start to control this char that was trying to log out from the server at the same situation he was, with same itens and everything.

If you die and tries to respawn, if someone is trying to log out, instead of respawning with a fresh char, you start with the char that this player that was playting the game was using, at the same situation with same items,.........

If you are trying to log out from the server and someone is trying to log in, this guy will take over your char. When starting again at this server, you will start with a new blank char, unless some of the situations I said before happen (so, someone is trying to log out when you log in).

Situations where the game would continue as usual (but you would have a different char per server):

You respawn and while no one was trying to log out (most of the cases)

You log out while no one was trying to log in into the server. (most of the cases)

You log in into the server while no one was trying to log out. (most of the cases)

So...you want them to add in a game mechanic that would only do something in fairly rare situations where two people are logging in/out at the same time or dying/logging out at the same time?  Now that I've had some sleep I'm going to be a bit more polite.  What made you think this would add anything to the game?  I mean as rare as the situation you're talking about would be it would be completely unfair.  Just think of how bad this would be with the combat loggers we currently have.  Guy combat logs, some poor noob logs in at the same time, gets destroyed before his first loading screen is done and some error occurs.  Standalone is going to be about personalization, hence why we're going to have different sets of clothing rather than just be a bunch of guys wearing jeans, longsleave shirts, vests, and baseball caps.

• Like 1