Sign in to follow this  
Cap'n (DayZ)

Responsibility and shame: A intellectual observation of the hill camper

You've just looted Elektro, ready to head North to the promise land. Alice, hunting gear, food water and a Lee. You feel on top of the world, bragging over chat. You step outside, ready to leave. Shots ring out, clearly coming from that dreaded hill. His aim is poor, but eventually he hits you. You lay a slumber and bleed, and helplessly wait for him to finish you off.

YOU ARE DEAD

Don't lie, we've all been there before. A select few have been the ones enacting this, but there leaves a serious question: Why? These select few are considered the lowest of the low in the bandit tree. They lack morality, respect, or and desire to use skill. Their age ranges, from middle aged stream sniper to prepubescent squeaker playing on his mother's HP. They all have one thing in common: They camp hills. Specifically, snipe high yield cities along the coast. There are other snipers who snipe the mainland, but they are rarer as there is an inherent risk of getting killed by a geared and more skilled player. They however, are in no way better. Today my children, we will dive into the psyche of the most hated members of our community: THE HILL CAMPER.

First, we shall observe the modern hill camper and their habitat. The most common of which, Elektro and Chernogorsk. It is not hard to spot a hill camper. They carry a sniper, usually a DMR or M24, and wear a simple ghillie suit or bandit skin. While I have never observed one up close outside of the spawn towns, I understand that they usually resort to looting the Southern military spawns for sniper rifles. They may server hop, or in extreme cases hack. Some may even risk going North, were skilled and geared players pose a risk to them. While some may use other sniper rifles. the majority favor the DMR. The DMR, a weapon often banned from hardcore ArmA matches due to it being "OP", is extremely simple to operate and use effectively. While it may be deadly in the hands of some, I have often outmatched DMR users with lowly Enfield. The DMR also may compensate for poor aim and eyesight, as its zoom magnification and high rate of fire is more appealing to the hill campers who lack common knowledge of sniper rifles. Their preferred locations of sniping are relatively known. The Elektro hill is commonly preferred, but some may use the barn facing NW. In Cherno, they can snipe from the hills or inside the town itself, as there are many industrial buildings with ladders and cover.

Why? Why do they do this? There are few reasons, and even less coming from the hill snipers themselves. Many do it simply because they seek nothing more out of the game, resorting to killing unarmed or unaware players for personal entertainment. Some may do it alone, others may team. Some even record it on youtube, as a great middle finger to the DayZ community. Others may have been victim of bandits in the early days, and resorted to extreme measures to prevent it from happening again. But the most common, is new players who were introduced to this livelihood through none other than the internet. They range in age, maturity, and skill. Some come from FPS twitch shooters and are not comfortable with ArmA's shooting mechanics, and therefore must resort to the easiest of these: sniping. Many of these players come into the game with the impression that this is supposed to be a deathmatch, or prefer it stay that way. The worst of these however, are the ones that are doing it to enjoy the stress and anger of others. They are open about it, and have nothing to hide. Their origins vary, but it is agreed that they originate from common players that one day stumbled across a sniper rifle and camp the spawn towns, laughing at the expense of others.

Responsibility and shame. Whenever someone is sniped, they usually do one thing. Call them out. It may be in rage, disbelief, or to congratulate the sniper. However,  the common hill sniper will not reply. Ever. In fact, they completely ignore chat, besides the occasional "Shut the fuck up" over side in response to someone talking. But why? Are they even aware of how much we hate them? In short answer. yes. They know how much they're hated. It can't be ignored, the droves of chat, forum articles, and youtube videos dedicated to their douchebaggery cannot be ignored. But why can't they owe up, why can't they accept that what they're doing is wrong. but wait, this is a video game? Morality is no issue within a game, correct? Well, that causes one glaring issue. While some may argue morality need not be observed because this is a game, this is a game based upon choices, moral choices that will shape how people may percept you and where you go in this game. Why is there a bandit or hero skin, if not to tell apart the sinners and the saints. While some may be out to ruin your day, others are out to help you. But in the end, that is not an issue associated with bandit v.s hero v.s survivor. Hill campers are their own breed, but they all share one true facet. They will not, refuse to, and ever will admit to doing it. They're ashamed, and in part because the vast majority looks down upon them, as cowards and jerks. So they either hide it or simply ignore the community. They are not productive, honest, or truly enjoying the game. Where is the fun of PvP without the risk? Killing unarmed or poorly armed players from 600 meters away with a sniper rifle does not present a risk unless, by god, they see you first and happen to have a sniper rifle. They won't accept risk for reward, nor responsibility because they come to the game trying to make into something it isn't. They are denying the risk that the game provides, simply because they do not associate risk with a shooter. And for the record, this is not a twitch shooter.

So ladies and gentleman, that concludes my intellectual essay on the hill sniper. Please give your feedback in the thread below, and thank you for reading. Hugs and kisses ~ Cap'n :P 

• Like 8

Good read.  I experienced this issue far too much on public hives.  Worst was the bandits who could combat log if they started getting shot at.  Whether these Hill snipers killed people to feel powerful, better than others, practice their aim, for the lols, because they were bored, or because of another reason, the one thing is though, that it made looting in these cities more fun and scary.  I couldn't just run around like a derptard happily looting.  I had to be careful and sneaky and honestly it made it fun.

I think most players have abandoned any form of morality in DayZ.  Probably because it's just KoS.  That is what DayZ have evolved into and the only way to stop most of this KoS, is to make players feel guilty about killing another player.  The problem is this is all pixels and you're only ending a virtual characters life.  Yeah all that work the person put into their gear and character is gone, and you may feel bad for a little while, but you know that they simply have to respawn and go loot all over again.  I mean tbh, I think DayZ would get boring after a while if I never died.  I enjoy looting and finding stuff.

Like I said though, if we want to stop most of the KoS, we have to find a way for players to feel bad about killing.  Until that happens, KoS will always be a problem.  Whether it be hill snipers, or guys up north who KoS.

Good read.  I experienced this issue far too much on public hives.  Worst was the bandits who could combat log if they started getting shot at.  Whether these Hill snipers killed people to feel powerful, better than others, practice their aim, for the lols, because they were bored, or because of another reason, the one thing is though, that it made looting in these cities more fun and scary.  I couldn't just run around like a derptard happily looting.  I had to be careful and sneaky and honestly it made it fun.

I think most players have abandoned any form of morality in DayZ.  Probably because it's just KoS.  That is what DayZ have evolved into and the only way to stop most of this KoS, is to make players feel guilty about killing another player.  The problem is this is all pixels and you're only ending a virtual characters life.  Yeah all that work the person put into their gear and character is gone, and you may feel bad for a little while, but you know that they simply have to respawn and go loot all over again.  I mean tbh, I think DayZ would get boring after a while if I never died.  I enjoy looting and finding stuff.

Like I said though, if we want to stop most of the KoS, we have to find a way for players to feel bad about killing.  Until that happens, KoS will always be a problem.  Whether it be hill snipers, or guys up north who KoS.

There are still decent people out there, quite a few on my server actually.

• Like 1

I am that sniper. Oh how i love the rage when i shoot someone.

Do not go near the coast post-spawn, sorted ;)

Intellectual essay? Well, it is an essay. Not saying you are not bright, but no need to precede essay with intellectual ;)

Or stop going into elektro. If there is nothing to shoot at, they will go somewhere else. Take a zelengorsk or berezino route north and then go to the center of the map.

It's disappointing when I'm on a full server and can loot the entire NWAF without encountering a single soul, or even seeing any infected movement across the runway. Yet in sidechat there is constant chatter-grief about hospital/school/firehouse/hill snipers in elektro.

People go to and/or camp elektro because the rest of the map is less populated than it should be. They have a ghillie and a dmr and they want to use it. It just happens that the place with all of the unarmed and undergeared players is also the highest traffic area.

It's supply and demand. They demand living, moving targets, and you supply them with just that in a small fishing town with plenty of prime vantage points. I don't condone camping elektro, but y'all deserve the beatings you get down there. "I keep getting killed by elektro campers. They're such immature gamers! (Which I tend to agree with) I guess I had better suicide until I get another elektro spawn and can try the fire stations again...."

I liken this to complaining about hookers giving you crabs or the clap, and then frequenting the same hooker week after week. This dirty, worn out hooker (elektro) is obviously not your best bet. Go try a different corner.

• Like 5

I love these.  Especially when the OP tries to make it sound like they just graduated from university and are trying to make it sound like their graduate dissertation.'

And no I'm not a bandit.  I'm relatively new but decided to go the hero route, not necessarily because I'm a nice guy (although I am) but it seems the bigger challenge.

But in response to your too long essay, it is quite simple.

They camp the hills to get responses like this.  Your tears drive them

• Like 1

You can snipe people 600m away up north as well. Only difference is that instead of an ak or m4 they got no gun. I'd rather die fresh spawn by a sniper than die geared by a sniper. Learn to use cover and not walk around in open spaces .-.

I killed a ghillie-suited sniper on Sniper Hill in Elektro with a crossbow once. I felt so fucking powerful. Took all his shit and made sure to tell him he was a scumbag before finally driving an arrow into his skull.

• Like 3

And if you're going to boast that your "essay" is intellectual, don't call it "A intellectual..." In the title... And if I need to explain why not, you should be in summer school and not on here :)

• Like 2

"I keep getting killed by elektro campers. They're such immature gamers! (Which I tend to agree with) I guess I had better suicide until I get another elektro spawn and can try the fire stations again...."

I liken this to complaining about hookers giving you crabs or the clap, and then frequenting the same hooker week after week. This dirty, worn out hooker (elektro) is obviously not your best bet. Go try a different corner.

Nice one Dag.  Great analogy. 

Edited by TheLastEmp

Yeah, it's not intellectual at all. I just put that there to sound nice.

• Like 3

I am that sniper. Oh how i love the rage when i shoot someone.

Judging from your previous posts, I assume you are either sarcastic or have a very skewed view of things.

Complaining can be fun. I just made an entire thread about it, and actually enjoyed writing it. I love feedback, give more please.

We have plenty of threads filled with people making KOS complaints. This one just happened to single out a particular breed of bandit. I think we'd all rather see a thread discussing how we can alleviate the issue. Something other than punishing players for choosing to tell their own story in a more violent, humanity-ending manner.

As someone said earlier, there are some people who just want to watch the world burn. They are going to do whatever they can to ruin your day just because. And with half of the server choosing to congregate in the same 10 square block area with little to no means of stopping them, they're having a grand ole time of it.

Theres got to be consequences

Raiding a body will attract Zeds cus you have the smell of blood on your hands,consequences.

Theres got to be consequences

Raiding a body will attract Zeds cus you have the smell of blood on your hands,consequences.

I am actually disappointed when there isn't a camping sniper on Elektro Hill.

If you can spot them from a distance hiding in their little pine tree hidey hole it can be very rewarding to loop around them and put an axe in their skull.  I am surprised at the number of "snipers" who never check their backs.

It must be a very boring gamestyle though to just sit there for hours. 

• Like 2

It's supply and demand. They demand living, moving targets, and you supply them with just that in a small fishing town with plenty of prime vantage points. I don't condone camping elektro, but y'all deserve the beatings you get down there.

Not this again

Blaming the victims is ridiculous, the camping sniper isn't restricted to electro

What do you suppose people do when they spawn on the beach to get killed by a sniper then?

Many times I've seen clans and groups setting 1 guy at EVERY spawn point and shooting people before they spawn in, which is another issue on the topic

Sure you can go somewhere else, but that's like telling a child it's better to run away froma bully than to do something about it

People do use cover, but there are plenty of places where you can see most of the entrances to a city ( cherno tower for example)

It doesn't matter how much or how well you use cover, a guy with a dmr easily can spam bullets and kill you

So basically your saying, don't go to cherno, electro, balota ( plenty of good sniper positions there)

Berezino, starry, nwaf, neaf, zenegorsk or solnichny

Doesn't leave a lot to do does it?

No stop blaming people for getting sniped

It's the guy shooting them that's the issue, not the unarmed guy who got 600 dmr rounds spammed at him from a mile away

We need the bandits, but the guys shooting bambis are just jerks

And no, I rarely get sniped like this because I do avoid the coastal towns, but new players should t have to deal with spawn deaths and getting sniped every 5 mins

Thing is, I actually find these kind of players helpful. When I die, I always move to a maxed out server, find some shitty weapon and make my way round to that hill just to kill these bandits and rob their gear so I can move north with a good loadout. Just yesterday I took three bandits out up there with a Winchester. These players panic when it comes to an actual confrontation where the target is shooting back, so it's ridiculously easy to kill them with low-level guns. These players - however much they are hated - provide me with a great starting loadout, and for this I thank them.

Ranty stuff 

It isn't blaming the victim.  It's blaming the whiner.

This is a game.  Within the game of Dayz, the "hill sniper" is playing a 100% valid playstyle.  It may be unpopular, but it is valid and within the rules.

Likewise the Survivor trying to evade the hill sniper is playing a 100% valid playstyle.

The problem is when someone decides they don't like someone elses playstyle, and then wants the game changed to suit their opinion of how the game should be.

Dayz is a pretty much free for all, sandbox style MMO'ish FPS.  All bandits, KOS players etc are perfectly valid playstyles.  If you don't like that, then maybe the game is not for you.  Or maybe you should setup your own private server and only invite those who play like you do.

Now that being said, I would agree that there are elements of Dayz right now that do need to be fixed, and that do encourage the bandit playstyle.  The key one being (as I have stated in other threads) is the duping bugs that makes it far too easy to not only gear up, but end up with so many spares of high quality items, that "surviving" becomes a moot point.  But this isn't "changing the rules" it's fixing the bugs.

At which point did I say that bandits and KoS players isn't a valid playstyle?

I actually said it is

At no point did I say I want to change the game to my playstyle

"If you don't like KOS then maybe this game isn't for you"

Is a completely pointless argument

Well maybe if you don't like friendly player then this game isnt for you has about as much strength in a argument

Read a post before writing shit that has little relation to it

Clearly your one of those people, otherwise you wouldn't be defending them so much

See I can make assumptions too

If your going to respond to someone, take the time to read their post, don't generalise or stereotype them or make assumptions that have no basis which you would find had you looked through other posts I've made that I enjoy pvp etc just as much as the other aspects

Just because I don't enjoy being spammed at when I'm spawning in on a beach I should play something else?

Really, get over yourself

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

Oh cry more. You just spawned in played for all of 5 minutes and got sniped. Move on with your life. It's pointless to cry about it. You didn't have anything you couldn't find in another 5 minutes in another spawn point.