carbine781 (DayZ)

Why People Shoot On Sight And How To Fix That

I agree with the idea, allthough I wouldn't do such "radical" changes

KoS is an issue

I agree, and I believe it's due to the FPS feeling people get holding a gun in a game, others just troll. One of them I believe can get improved, but trolls are a plague that'll allways exist in some(most) servers. How do we reduce the FPS feeling of DayZ? The way I see it is that you force 20-50 people on a server 225km X 225km. That is a small map for that amount of players, especially since everyone is everyone's potential enemy. And in addition to that, you have very few hot spots, making sure you'll run it to someone in those areas.

So if we enlarge the map , lets say an area 4 times as big, 450km X 450 km, have these Big hot spots still there, and add a way for zombies to find these or Any hot spots.

The idea is I had was the fact that they will be having roaming hordes of zombies going around mindlessly. I love that idea since it opens up for alot of fun things. But what if a dead body gives of a scent as they would rotting IRL, and these roaming hordes of zombies that's close by one or many dead corpses are more inclined to move towards them, everything from a single zombie to the entire horde can go to these places.

Player 1 shoots Player 2, right in the head and he falls down dead

Player 2 died and is rotting away giving out a scent for zombies, to give it a value lets say he gives out 2 scent, increasing slowly up to 5 before again slowly going back down to 0.

2-5 scent makes it unlikely for hordes to stop, unless walking Very close by.

At the same time, team 1 and team 2 meets up in Bor, and 12 players die, each giving out 24 scent, inclearing up to 70 at it's peak, making hordes pick up the scent from a much longer distance.

This way we can make it so that these bush camping people atleast have a chance of getting forced out by zombies.

People need to gain something from helping other players, but at the same time not punish the players who prefer the solo approach

Firing guns is an issue at certain places, in a city. You'll get 20 zeds and anyone in that town will know you're there and might see you as hostile.

Boredom leads to KoS

Yeah, unless you're heavily punished by killing another player, this will happen. And if you punish a player for killing someone, trolling people will just force you to kill them by running around you making sounds.

I would make it so that killing someone has a chance of destroying something he's wearing or something in his back pack, it's pretty realistic, and would make bandits more inclined on robbing instead of killing. Still doesn't solve the boredom KoS tho

how do we solve situations where groups simply loot their dead, and then pick up their freshly spawned friend and return all his gear from his previous life?

if possible, how about they apply a serial number to all the equipment items. guns and so on. NOT food, tin cans, poopy paper etc. just the guns, vests, packs, etc.

this way, that character is not allowed to pick up that same weapon for some duration of time, like say a week or a month, in case at some point later on he happens to find the same weapon in a loot pile he can take it then. this would stop teams from taking out all the "awww shit" out of dying.

i know that they can just trade weapons, so fine, but if he dies with that gun, he cant come back and use either then. until the duration of time runs out. or maybe the item just doesnt show up for that player to see, and nobody is allowed to put it in his inventory. this way if the items did spawn back in game, and that player just so happens to be in the same exact location, he wouldnt even know it was there to grab again, until the duration of time expires where he can use it again.

maybe this mechanic works only for players who shoot first.

in other words, im thinking that if being injured was actually a real shitty situation in the game, made you feel like it was somethng you just did NOT want to deal with it, people might not be so quick to just gun battle. im not saying these are good ideas, just trying to stir your imaginations and maybe we can come up with somethng that works.

maybe if hurt real bad, you keep falling over and have to manually get up. you have enough time to get away and heal, but falling down, losing contiousness, blurry vision, faster drain on water due to your body being put under an extreme injury. i dont know.

how do you make it so people really really dont want to risk getting shot, even if your a bandit. but without enhancing damage (which should have its own mechanic)

maybe just enhacing the current system? just tweaking it a bit?

i think making sure players cant just come back and pick up where they left off is a good start, and might help a bit, when the aggressors have as much to lose as the victims. dead means dead, and gone.

how do we solve situations where groups simply loot their dead, and then pick up their freshly spawned friend and return all his gear from his previous life?

Most people suggest adding a skill or trait system to make dying a bigger deal because you lose your character instead of your gear. I have mixed feelings about that idea.

Most people suggest adding a skill or trait system to make dying a bigger deal because you lose your character instead of your gear. I have mixed feelings about that idea.

maybe the longer you survive the longer he can go without food? water? runs faster? and all that goes away if you die. i suppose there is something to think about with that system, for sure.

i agree it might be a hard pill to swallow, but i think thats what we should be looking at, in real life, death def a hard pill to swallow, and if it creates the atmosphere where people feel getting into a gun fight might be to risky, i think it might help out.

i think the pvp is not necessarily something you want to curb so to speak, but something you want the potential attacker to spend a little more time thinking about before he decides. which might scale back the shoot anyone you see mentality ive seen.

i say playtest it and see if it works, your life in the game should be the most valuable thing you have, and all the items in the game just support the extension of your life. so adding unique traits or qualities that you either pick, or you wind up developing through doing certain things, sounds cool.

what if fixing weapons, nvgs, tools etc got better through actually doing that and you get good, if your a bandit, would you put yourself at the same risk you would right now in the mod?

You can't stop KoS'ing without completely limiting what you can do in the game and ruining it for everyone. 

There will always be people out there who troll and randomly kill others for the lels, such as myself. 

You can't stop KoS'ing without completely limiting what you can do in the game and ruining it for everyone. 

There will always be people out there who troll and randomly kill others for the lels, such as myself. 

I don't think that's true. There will always be people like you but I'm more interested in the average player, who currently is forced into KOS'ing because it's the most effective playstyle. If you change that, and making other playstyles more effective by offering incentives to work together with other players, then you solve the problem.

• Like 3

I just had that moment as well where I get disappointed and bored by the game because I like to play a zombie survival online game, not a FFA Deathmatch in a large map. Bandits claim there role is a part of the game but just as the OP said "Kill on Sight" =/= Bandit roleplay. Especially not when all they do is killing bambis around the spawn areas and when 80% of the players in this game all KoS.

The thing is that I'm actually looking forward that this might change in the future. When zombies would become lethal while finding food and guns would become really, really hard and when people need to help each other to raid a village or reach some other endgame goals then they wouldn't get bored so quickly but I wouldn't mind if the Devs still think about some quicker solutions to stop this KoS plague.

I just had that moment as well where I get disappointed and bored by the game because I like to play a zombie survival online game, not a FFA Deathmatch in a large map. Bandits claim there role is a part of the game but just as the OP said "Kill on Sight" =/= Bandit roleplay. Especially not when all they do is killing bambis around the spawn areas and when 80% of the players in this game all KoS.

The thing is that I'm actually looking forward that this might change in the future. When zombies would become lethal while finding food and guns would become really, really hard and when people need to help each other to raid a village or reach some other endgame goals then they wouldn't get bored so quickly but I wouldn't mind if the Devs still think about some quicker solutions to stop this KoS plague.

Why are you posting on a thread that died last year?

KoS will never go away, deal with it, move on.

I do have a couple of solutions that many people agreed with. Check it out here :) : http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182013-ideas-and-real-life-factors-that-could-make-dayz-more-realistic-which-could-prevent-shooting-on-sight-in-the-long-run/

Why are you posting on a thread that died last year?

KoS will never go away, deal with it, move on.

Because it's better to actually search the forums for an existing thread instead of opening tons of it all dealing with the same topic.

Regarding the "deal with it" aspect: No neither I nor anyone has to deal with it. The alternative would be to simply not play or even not buy it (which can't be in the interest of anyone) as people might lose interest in a game that tries to sell itself with a lot of survival immersion in the wake of a zombie apocalypse when in fact it's just CoD death match on a really big map but with all the ARMA flaws and barely some zombie extras. You shouldn't force people to stop doing something but you can discourage them or encourage them to behaviors that would make the game more interesting as currently - with ~80% of KoS players - the best way to actually survive in this survival game is to stay away as far from survivors and towns as possible...which is plain boring and doesn't require multiplayer either.

Edited by ColdHeat

Because it's better to actually search the forums for an existing thread instead of opening tons of it all dealing with the same topic.

Regarding the "deal with it" aspect: No neither I nor anyone has to deal with it. The alternative would be to simply not play or even not buy it (which can't be in the interest of anyone) as people might lose interest in a game that tries to sell itself with a lot of survival immersion in the wake of a zombie apocalypse when in fact it's just CoD death match on a really big map but with all the ARMA flaws and barely some zombie extras. You shouldn't force people to stop doing something but you can discourage them or encourage them to behaviors that would make the game more interesting as currently - with ~80% of KoS players - the best way to actually survive in this survival game is to stay away as far from survivors and towns as possible...which is plain boring and doesn't require multiplayer either.

Alright, #1, you don't know me, I've been with DayZ since the beginning, I HATE the KoS mentality, 98K humanity on the public hive before the wipe, 48K after, ask anyone from Musty about how I operate in the field,

#2: the problem isn't the game its the player, there will always be people out there that buy a game for the single purpose to go and do what ever they can to make other players have a bad day, this can not be stopped. so yes, in the end, deal with it, or leave, you will not be missed or noticed, take a look at the grave yard and how many " F this game, I'm leaving  " posts are there, no one cares .

Alright, #1, you don't know me, I've been with DayZ since the beginning, I HATE the KoS mentality, 98K humanity on the public hive before the wipe, 48K after, ask anyone from Musty about how I operate in the field,

#2: the problem isn't the game its the player, there will always be people out there that buy a game for the single purpose to go and do what ever they can to make other players have a bad day, this can not be stopped. so yes, in the end, deal with it, or leave, you will not be missed or noticed, take a look at the grave yard and how many " F this game, I'm leaving  " posts are there, no one cares .

I don't care if you do KoS or not. This is no public pillory.

Regarding the other gibberish: Of course people care - the devs do as they want to sell the game and every mature player does as no one wants a game as empty as "the WarZ". Only a fool would say that's it's not the best interest of anyone if this game actually delivers what it promises.

Your fatalistic analysis is fortunately wrong. People WANT to play cooperative as much as they enjoy the competetive part of playing against each other. Games like Star Citizen, WoW or Ultima Online show that. All that's needed are fitting mechanics that encourage you to do so... which currently are lacking.

So if you got nothing productive to add to this discussion, please keep your 2 cents to yourself and troll away.

I don't care if you do KoS or not. This is no public pillory.

Regarding the other gibberish: Of course people care - the devs do as they want to sell the game and every mature player does as no one wants a game as empty as "the WarZ". Only a fool would say that's it's not the best interest of anyone if this game actually delivers what it promises.

Your fatalistic analysis is fortunately wrong. People WANT to play cooperative as much as they enjoy the competetive part of playing against each other. Games like Star Citizen, WoW or Ultima Online show that. All that's needed are fitting mechanics that encourage you to do so... which currently are lacking.

So if you got nothing productive to add to this discussion, please keep your 2 cents to yourself and troll away

Public forum, I'm following the rules, my views are just as valid as yours, don't like it, tough.