scott_mtg@hotmail.com

How to lower the ”shot on sight” mentality

His idea isnt really "rare" loot

its making information more valuable

Hey buddy I know the location of alot of food and meds you really want to shoot me?

Alright, I wont shoot you. Where's the loot?

"I'll take you to it."

LATER...

"Okay, here it is."

Okay, thanks for showing me this. *shoots him anyways*

I don't see how it would solve anything.

Alright, I wont shoot you. Where's the loot?

"I'll take you to it."

LATER...

"Okay, here it is."

Okay, thanks for showing me this. *shoots him anyways*

I don't see how it would solve anything.

You did something beyond any other FPS game by talking to someone first. What you do after that is up to you but it make for more intresting gameplay with more possible outcomes.

sorry OP I try to read everythings but I getting too much confuse :huh:

is correct you want to make system for stop shot on sight style for play?

You write in nice way, I like way your brain is think but is make some idea that is too much impossible, no way for make this happen :|

dayz is zombie survive simulate game, I know this but it have best gun physics in the worlds, crazy big map and too many human player, more important point is human player like me :P

is nothing dev guys can do to stop guys like me enjoy pure pvP fun :P even if they make system so every time I make one kill I get big electric shock on my balls :o  this don't have power to stop me love best pvP game ever make by a human.  :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

you talk about way to make improve for player communicate with player :thumbsup: sometimes I make communicate with players, I communicate in clear way for them to understand 100% what is mean - is call GUNSHOTS :D is mean 'DIE BITCHES!!!' :lol:

Iam not trying to come up with something to stop KoS, I want it to be lowered by giving players more "tools". Players who want to play the game differently then KoS have the possibility to do that and still can get some advantage with my suggestion. As much as people like to be bandits there are still people who want to play more like heroes but is forced to play KoS since there are so few advantages to do differently.

Edited by Stridsvagn
  • Like 2

Iam not trying to come up with something to stop KoS, I want it to be lowered by giving players more tools. Players who want to play the game differently then KoS have the possibility to do that and still can get some advantage with my suggestion. As much as people like to be bandits there are still people who want to play more like heroes but is forced to play KoS since there are so few advantages to do differently.

Many people turn to KOS because they tried to play the standard survivor way but were killed themselves.

After being tricked a few times these morons give up before even having a friendly encounter and feed the terrible cycle.

The new emphasis on robbing is great IMO, it might be safer trying to rob someone than shoot them especially when you outnumber them. Because they might actually go along with it, I'm sure many of you have been outnumbered in a firefight and managed to win even if you didn't believe you could or maybe its the other way around?. That's the thing about firefights put it on a uncoordinated 1v1 at a time and it is essentially 50/50.

Approach somebody calmly but cautiously and they probably won't shoot if there's more than one of you.

This is what I call rewarding honourable team bandit types instead of just rewarding lone KOS bandits.

• Like 1

Rare loot/harder zombies might lower the KOS percentage a very tiny bit, but in the end I feel you need a big enough consequence in order to not kill someone. This game has always drawn me back to it because of how real and emotional the game can seem at times. Obviously not zombies running around but it does bring up a lot or morality and a "what would you do in real life?" kind of mood.

That being said, it's quite simple, you need a consequence. If there was no police, would you be afraid to do half the crimes in real life? DayZ needs some sort of punishment for overuse of killing players. Whether that be something like blood gets on you making zombies even more attracted to you, or some sort of "enforcement squad" that can be alerted when survivors are murdered over lets say....the radio? Green Mountain can maybe be utilized as a HQ for the good guys.

My only concern is changing the game too much. I admit I am a bandit, but I would actually be intrigued at having a "hero squad" looking for me (being a wanted bandit). Maybe if someone kills too many people they have a bounty on their head (supplies or weapons rewarded). Like I said you either need a consequence for killing, or an incentive to be a good guy. That's the only way. Making zombies harder is just gonna piss people off considering how annoying they already are.

Making stuff worse for bandits and better for heroes is tackling the problem directly. Should be possible to change other aspects of the game to at least affect some players play style. Add more things to do in the game and some players might want to focus more on that then KoS. The more features / tools you add to the game the more "professions" there will be. the radio in the SA dev blog is a good example of a feature/tool that really give the game a more real and deep game play and will encourage players to play the game differently then KoS.

Obviously not zombies running around but it does bring up a lot or morality and a "what would you do in real life?" kind of mood.

To quote most KoS players...

Who gives a shit, it's a game.

Making stuff worse for bandits and better for heroes is tackling the problem directly. Should be possible to change other aspects of the game to at least affect some players play style. Add more things to do in the game and some players might want to focus more on that then KoS. The more features / tools you add to the game the more "professions" there will be. the radio in the SA dev blog is a good example of a feature/tool that really give the game a more real and deep game play and will encourage players to play the game differently then KoS.

I wouldn't make it easier or harder for any side. It's how they play. Too bad with all the server hopping possibilities you can never encounter a player on the same server / in the same area like IRL where most people would think about the consequences of their actions. In a game it's hard to realize or let's say a lot of people don't think that way becaus it's a game. Maybe some servers will "force" encourage realistic behaviour, of course it has to have it's own hive for that to work.

To quote most KoS players...

I wouldn't make it easier or harder for any side. It's how they play. Too bad with all the server hopping possibilities you can never encounter a player on the same server / in the same area like IRL where most people would think about the consequences of their actions. In a game it's hard to realize or let's say a lot of people don't think that way because it's a game. Maybe some servers will "force" encourage realistic behavior, of course it has to have it's own hive for that to work.

Yes, I always play on private hives and try to stick to the same server to get to know the players on it. That way you get some emotional attachment which makes it much more fun and interesting. Server hopping is a big problem that stops players to immerse themselves.

ur gonna get info out of him and then shoot him and we are back where we were

This is what I've been saying but I put a little more thought into it.  It seems that DayZ players adapt pretty quickly to things.  When this new update came out for the mod people either quit or adapted.  Honestly the update was hard at first but now it isn't much of an issue to me anymore.  I could see the same possible problem in SA.  The first few months everyone could be struggling to survive and more willing to help each other.  However after a while people will adapt and no longer need help.  Most players will probably have done a lot of the things to do and resort back to KoS.

This means then that we'll need something that always keeps surviving a challenge and give something players to do.  Otherwise we'll fall right back into the mod's KoS out of boredom.

This is what I've been saying but I put a little more thought into it.  It seems that DayZ players adapt pretty quickly to things.  When this new update came out for the mod people either quit or adapted.  Honestly the update was hard at first but now it isn't much of an issue to me anymore.  I could see the same possible problem in SA.  The first few months everyone could be struggling to survive and more willing to help each other.  However after a while people will adapt and no longer need help.  Most players will probably have done a lot of the things to do and resort back to KoS.

This means then that we'll need something that always keeps surviving a challenge and give something players to do.  Otherwise we'll fall right back into the mod's KoS out of boredom.

And that's where we should hope that every time you think you have achieved something the game stomps you back into the ground and makes you repeat the process. Nothing should be sure, food has to expire, ammo can go bad, your clothing and equipment wears off. You always have to be forced into constant moving to survive so you can't think of anything but surviving. The current games goes like this: gather everything, go start a fight, maybe die, repeat. It should go: gather everything, gather more because nothing lasts forever, struggle, repeat. It has to mean something if you have to kill someone to get his food or clothes and not just because the player happens to run in front of your weapon.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

I think rarer loot is a bad idea, because now... People actually have a better reason to kill.

And with no downside, what's stopping them?

At least now they'll be old fashion bandits where they kill for a reason besides getting more kills. Also, with harder zombies, they may use robbing somebody as an alternative.

At least now they'll be old fashion bandits where they kill for a reason besides getting more kills. Also, with harder zombies, they may use robbing somebody as an alternative.

Getting the loot is only a side issue since you actually don't know what your victim has until you loot him. In most cases nobody really has what the other one doesn't already have, it's just kill and look if he has something useful, there isn't really a need for a preventive murder to silence a possible threat which most of the time didn't even notice your presence. Most of the time when we ended up surviving a shootout with other players they even had more equipment than we did, meaning they didn't really have to fight besides getting food and water which they didn't lack, actually they had so much we could easily give another player or two full equipment since they were carrying all that stuff around ( fighting us at that point was really a very stupid idea since they lost more than we did in the process a lot had a secondary rifle, very often also a secondary pistol and even a second set of binocs and nvgs let alone the ammo just to name a few contents, food was quite rare on these players and i wonder why :rolleyes: ... )

Edited by Enforcer

Making Loot Rare is a terrible Idea

Nekminute

Everybody runs around with M249's.

making ammo rare and guns even rarer. let Melee rise to the primary weapon --> game changing!

• Like 1

shooting-on-sight will never go away completely, and if it did that would really kill game quality.  but to discourage it slightly, i think they need to make ammunition a lot rarer and more valuable than it currently is.  common weapons for players should be basic mellee tools and civilian weapons with limited pvp capabilities. the truly powerful guns, like military assault rifles and machine guns, need to be very rare, with ammo even rarer for them. basically make them seriously contemplate wasting precious ammo on you.

i always liked the system in the metro 2033 games, where high-quality ammo was so valuable it became currency. something like that would fit well in dayz, too.  you'd also cut down on senseless banditry significantly by keeping sniper rifles very, very rare.  one of the reasons i stopped playing dayz was because 1hk snipers became extremely common and gameplay degraded into a camping deathmath. 

• Like 1

shooting-on-sight will never go away completely, and if it did that would really kill game quality.  but to discourage it slightly, i think they need to make ammunition a lot rarer and more valuable than it currently is.  common weapons for players should be basic mellee tools and civilian weapons with limited pvp capabilities. the truly powerful guns, like military assault rifles and machine guns, need to be very rare, with ammo even rarer for them. basically make them seriously contemplate wasting precious ammo on you.

i always liked the system in the metro 2033 games, where high-quality ammo was so valuable it became currency. something like that would fit well in dayz, too.  you'd also cut down on senseless banditry significantly by keeping sniper rifles very, very rare.  one of the reasons i stopped playing dayz was because 1hk snipers became extremely common and gameplay degraded into a camping deathmath. 

Pointing as long as duping bugs still exist.

Rare is just a word that becomes abundant over time...

Regarding ammo as currency in Metro...of course they didn't force this system onto the player as the only currency available. People would never barter with other stuff...ever! Stalker had a better barter system in this case.

As I always like to say.  I think the main reason there is so much KOS is because ammo grows on tree's.  We need to make ammo more rare.  Guns tend to have 4 mags lying next to them.  If you have a gun that uses stanag you are all set.  Even dmr ammo is pretty common.  

I can unload a clip onto someone and not have to worry.  I think the best way to make people KOS less is just to make them have to conserve bullets.  Not waste shots on everyone they see.   

I am not saying make ammo impossible to find.  I am saying make it rare enough that rationing your bullets because a good ideal.  

THIS ISN'T MURRICA!  In most countries not everyone has a m16 under their bed.  

Edited by harley001
  • Like 1

Demongroover nailed it with the ammo issue. Another KOS deterant is noise. If zs become harder and more noise sencitive, u will think twice before making yourself gun-loud... or use it to attract as many zs in your position as possible when cornered :p

Demongroover nailed it with the ammo issue. Another KOS deterant is noise. If zs become harder and more noise sencitive, u will think twice before making yourself gun-loud... or use it to attract as many zs in your position as possible when cornered :p

I agree, I think a silencer should have further audible range (especially compared to crossbow) but should still be incredibly helpful and be a bandits #1 priority.

It should be hard not to end up dying if you fire a shot and attempt to take somebody loot.

As a further mechanic, it would be nice to move dead bodies instead of being able to delete them. This adds to the eerie, ambush sorta "it's a trap!" Part of the game where you might be going through Churno buildings and find three dead bodies stuffed into a bathroom stall. Then you turn around and find a crazed man with a empty M1 garand with a bayonet pointed at you.

I'm sorry that's kinda aiding, but maybe it will make bandit experiences cooler which are bound to come by anyway.