disorder

Melee is now Pointless

disorder

I respect your stance on not wanting to abuse what you consider an exploit, but as you are aware zombies walking in buildings is not something that they can fix, it makes sense that they would design the zombies bearing this in mind, they expect people to run into buildings to get easy kills and so to counter this zombies needed to be made more of a threat elsewhere.

That's the purpose of infection, now you really have to weigh up the risk of going into an area with many zombies.

also, don't know if you've seen the future plans they have, but the next patch will introduce the ability to swap between melee and a gun much quicker, this will effect gameplay greatly i expect, making handling surprise attacks from zombies much easier.  http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/141571-rolling-changelog/#entry1411937

Plus the mechanics for infection itself is still a work in progress http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/139669-17-infection-wip-update/

• Like 2

This is one of the most hilarious things I've read in a while, OP has his head so far up his own ass it's unreal.
You're so 'brutal' but anytime anyone says anything that is a different belief from which you hold the tears come a flowin'.

Melee is strong but the downside is that you can get infected, that is literally the point, but please - please continue.

While I can understand your feelings about the new infection rate, I don't think I'd do the right thing and stand by the statement of melee 'being pointless'.

I'm also not sure how long you've been playing with the new patch build in general actually. If I remember correctly, my first few days of gameplay in the new build got me killed a dozen of times due to the infection since I was underestimating the zombies completley. You basicly have to adapt your playstyle dramaticly now (at least for most people) to survive for a longer period of time since zombies are actually a considerable thread now.

Now to the point where I disagree with melee being pointless. Well allot of people already mentioned why, melee can still provide a silent venture through towns and places that have a high activity of zeds. When you would leave out the exploit of zombies only being able to walk indoors, you'd still be well off with a melee weapon when you notice there's a single zed closing into you. While risk of infection is highly present, I think you'll be statistcly better off by killing him with your melee weapon then shooting him down and invite the rest of his undead party to this morbid game of tag. Not to mention the ammo you'll be conserving. I think the main point of having a melee weapon in the current game is due to the availability and the fact that it doesn't ammo.. soort off. I know you'd be safer with a silenced weapon but knowing that they aren't lying around everywhere, I still find that melee weapons turn out to be a usefull tool.

• Like 2

Again using a bug to try and fight it is not really the idea, the zombies were/are supposed to be full speed inside buildings.  That tactic would not work when they finally become the menace in buildings they were intended to be.  I know what the range is anyway, approximately, as I've been using for every version since versions earlier than 1.7*

lol what?  it's called utilizing the game mechanics... So you don't outrun zombie and duck around corners of buildings to escape their aggro? 'Cause, you know, the zombie path-finding is all over the place and their supposed to just run right at you and maul you, and the fact that they don't is a "bug"?  If you follow that logic about (and I can't believe I'm even typing this) not wanting to draw zombies inside to attack them because the devs couldn't making indoor running work, then you could argue against doing anything (I need a drink and have an empty water bottle but I'm not going to fill up at this pond because the dev's couldn't put in the "boil water to purify it" mechanic that they ideally want).  That logic reduces the game to the point of absurdity.

Also, you're complaining that melee is useless, but rejecting methods by which melee weapons can be useful.  I'm having trouble following you on this.

If melee-ing zombies indoors is really that terrible, sit right inside the doorway of a building. this way they still run right up to you without getting slowed down, and the doorway keeps them from running around you and hitting you on your side while you're trying to melee...

Honestly there are so many broken aspects of the game, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole concept of "zombies should ideally run indoors so I'm not going to fight them indoors... the zombies were made particularly tough and given high infection rates with the whole "kill 'em indoors" strategy in mind... this isn't breaking the game.

Instead of player vs player social interaction, we have.. survive against zombies.. And it was never survive against zombies, it was always do your own thing and the zombies are kind of there.  The drama and entertainment came from the players.  

Hmmmm... The whole point of the game was surviving against zombies... making them hard enough that people would really have to think twice before attacking another player. Prior to the infection patch the game had become pretty much a death match and zombies were pathetically easy to avoid/escape/kill.

I still can't understand your not wanting to melee zombies indoors because "its not the way the game was intended to be".  I'm not trying to be a dick, I swear, but I do think you're misunderstanding what it is that the game was ACTUALLY intended to be.

And your posts DO come off as just trolling/hating the game because you can't play it the same way you'd BEEN playing it prior to the patch...

..."Adapt or die", as they say...

• Like 1

LOL!

It was always meant to be survive against zombies, and the devs finally achieved it to be (hardly, but better than ever).

Actually I've heard Dean Hall state numerous times it was about the emergent gameplay driven by players, the paranoia etc.  Early interviews mostly.

The OP was a 5 sentence whine with  an over the top subject.  Two pages in you complain that you are basically just being berated.  With an OP like that what did you honestly expect.  The fist post of a thread sets the stage for what will follow.  If you were trying to set the stage for a meaningful discussion you utterly failed.

All of the people who say "it's just you" have no idea how I play, how far I am standing away and what I am aiming at and has had no proof of what I am doing at all.  This is an assertion, something I have been accused of doing. Kind of hypocritical?

Since the first page I have been trying to defend myself against this kind of foolishness.  How do people know? They don't and they're just being rude.  They assume that my post is a troll post automatically get into protective mode and then  Oh no I love melee!  this man is a monster!  The internet would not exist without blunt opinions that other people hate.  Yin-Yang

You could have just read the questions and answered, there was no capitals or ranting in the OP.   If you think that there is no discussion in 3 questions, you obviously just skipped over them to argue with me about the delivery of my message and not its content 

This is one of the most hilarious things I've read in a while, OP has his head so far up his own ass it's unreal.

You're so 'brutal' but anytime anyone says anything that is a different belief from which you hold the tears come a flowin'.

Melee is strong but the downside is that you can get infected, that is literally the point, but please - please continue.

I think you'll find the community is up its own ass, read above.  It's not that I don't mind different beliefs, is that everyone is ignorant of any facts  Can you smell the hypocrisy?  It's a total wind up.

If you follow that logic about (and I can't believe I'm even typing this) not wanting to draw zombies inside to attack them because the devs couldn't making indoor running work, then you could argue against doing anything (I need a drink and have an empty water bottle but I'm not going to fill up at this pond because the dev's couldn't put in the "boil water to purify it" mechanic that they ideally want).  That logic reduces the game to the point of absurdity.

Also, you're complaining that melee is useless, but rejecting methods by which melee weapons can be useful.  I'm having trouble following you on this.

Melee weapons are useful in being silent I get that, but death is not useful, nor preferable.  You say that I would apply that logic to everything and make even the most realistic things absurd. The pursuit of more realism in a flawed, virtual emulation is already absurd in itself.  You will never get a perfect simulation of something you never experienced.  Why not make it entertaining instead?

To everyone else, Fluxley and Pbremmus, Vicco thanks yes I will be adapting and still playing and hoping I don't die pretty quickly.

And being Gods, these SUPREME axe men never have a viral glitch and infect them just before they strike with the axe, or after they strike with the axe, or teleport from outside of axe range to infect them.  Axe Gods suffer no such indignities. 

Hehehe, yeah right.  If the Z's actually work. ( I saw some sitting around drinking tea. I think they were having a break ) 

Did anyone actually mention the drop rate of antibiotics from various spawns?

Edited by disorder

Infection made my friends quit, though it was combined with boredom of waiting for SA, I dunno if they're that interested in it now anyways. 

Just a boring mechanic because zombies don't animate right, they'll hit you out of the blue from like 10ft away and suddenly you have infection and you'll never find antibiotics. 

That combined with there never being any vehicles cause people hide them in some place you'll never go to, the game is a mess now. 

• Like 1

All of the people who say "it's just you" have no idea how I play, how far I am standing away and what I am aiming at and has had no proof of what I am doing at all.  This is an assertion, something I have been accused of doing. Kind of hypocritical?

Your comment about not wanting to draw zombies inside to attack them gave quite a bit of insight... Also, for everyone who is melee-ing successfully, the only situation that would be apparent to them is that: "you're doing it wrong".... Not that there's a right way to play.  But when you complain about a mechanic that others are having plenty of success with, they're going to assume you're not utilizing the mechanic correctly... makes sense?

I think you'll find the community is up its own ass, read above.  It's not that I don't mind different beliefs, is that everyone is ignorant of any facts  Can you smell the hypocrisy?  It's a total wind up.

This ENTIRE thread is opinions.  Facts do not belong here.  It is a FACT that melee is a method of attacking in the game.  It is a FACT that attacking a zombie will always pose SOME level of risk.  You started out with your opinion and wasn't expecting people to share their's?  This isn't a community with it's head up its ass. It is a community that is very passionate about this game and when they feel that a mechanic that they love is being undervalued or slammed, they're going to respond.  You ask for input, but when people explain the way they play and make things work, you offer no understanding and only resistance. 

To everyone else, Fluxley and Pbremmus, Vicco thanks yes I will be adapting and still playing and hoping I don't die pretty quickly.

I'm upset that I wasn't included in this   :P

EDIT: I take it back, I don't want to be roped in to anything with Vicco after that post... I can't stand that sarcastic BS...

Some people manage to be effective enough with melee to utilize it as a relatively safe method of attack/defense... several of them, including myself, tried to list a few suggestions for honing those melee skills, and got labelled as condescending douches... sorry you don't agree that melee is viable or that vanilla is survivable, but don't write a sarcastic novel about it for christ's sake.

Did anyone actually mention the drop rate of antibiotics from various spawns?

The drop rate hasn't changed (as far as I've heard/read).  But obviously everyone is stocking up on them now that they're so much more necessary.  If you show up to a hospital and there's no AB's but some other stuff lying around, be sure to loot the entire building and then come back to it in 10 minutes... chances are another player already looted the AB's and you have to clear EVERYTHING out to get stuff to respawn.

Personally I don't think drop rates should change... I just think fresh spawns should start with one pack of AB's instead of flares or whatever...

Edited by TheLastEmp

Your comment about not wanting to draw zombies inside to attack them gave quite a bit of insight... Also, for everyone who is melee-ing successfully, the only situation that would be apparent to them is that: "you're doing it wrong".... Not that there's a right way to play.  But when you complain about a mechanic that others are having plenty of success with, they're going to assume you're not utilizing the mechanic correctly... makes sense?

Yes but what about the people that were not successful? It's not like I'm delusional?   Some of them are just posting now. The initial impression I got from those, as you say, successful was that I was wrong because they say so and end of discussion.  The thread had barely started.   

This ENTIRE thread is opinions.  Facts do not belong here.  It is a FACT that melee is a method of attacking in the game.  It is a FACT that attacking a zombie will always pose SOME level of risk.  You started out with your opinion and wasn't expecting people to share their's?  This isn't a community with it's head up its ass. It is a community that is very passionate about this game and when they feel that a mechanic that they love is being undervalued or slammed, they're going to respond.  You ask for input, but when people explain the way they play and make things work, you offer no understanding and only resistance. 

I put one fact but it's obviously irrelevant; infection killed me the last 3 times I've tried to play recently, not hunger, not players and it killed me 2 of those times trying to 'save' myself with melee. Even if it is only in my experience, it still sucks.  It sucks for other people as well it seems which makes this whole 3 page crap slinging kind of pointless too don't you think?

The resistance is only to general flaming. Passion does not have to mean vitriol and if the community is so passionate why is not supportive?   If people just say 'No' at people without even waiting for what others say then I think that is very rude.

Some people manage to be effective enough with melee to utilize it as a relatively safe method of attack/defense... several of them, including myself, tried to list a few suggestions for honing those melee skills, and got labelled as condescending douches

I hope I didn't mean people were condescending for suggesting improving my skills, I meant that they were condescending for telling me it's my fault. Now we know it's not just my fault, it makes their insults more apparent. 

Yes I forgot you too and everyone else who at least made a suggestion or comment that was constructive.  Viccos post was deadpan and quite poetic.

Beans were given out to everyone I think. 

Cheers

Edited by disorder
  • Like 1

It all comes down to the way you started the thread... "Melee is now pointless" was a bold and very pointed opinion that almost seems geared to get a rise out of people.  With such a statement, one would've expected ample examples and relevant experiences that would prove your point.  Particularly various styles of melee utilization...

As has always been the case with DayZ, steep learning curves are an intrinsic part of the game.  The 1.7.7.x patch re-established the learning curve and forced everyone to re-evaluate their play style... From my observations, those players who were quickest to abandon their old play-style and adopt a new one have been the most successful at surviving.

Had you started the thread by saying "I've tried everything and can't manage to melee without getting infected every single time, this sucks, it feels broken." I can guarantee you would've gotten a much different response.

You seemed pretty confident that "melee is now pointless"... But 3 deaths isn't enough time to determine anything that concrete in this game

• Like 1

I've said it many many times before and I'll say it again. 

The. Infection. System. Is. Fucked.

From a realism standpoint it makes 0 sense and is drastically flawed. Although not entirely specified, infection is probably caused by something other than the "zombie virus". Because their flesh is now rotting, it hosts many nasty bacteria, viruses, and all that rot. The only real way you could catch the infection is if it touched an open area of your body, such as a cut on the skin. I think a percentage chance of actually getting infected would be fair. Sure, there's already a "percentage chance", but 9 times out of 10 you're going to get infected. Another flaw is that it onsets immediately, which also makes no sense. I think it would be fair enough for it to take, say, a couple minutes (10, 15, 20, whatever it may be) to set in.

To make matters even worse, antibiotics seem to have gotten even rarer. I went to all 3 hospitals on the map and found only a few bandages and morphine, but not a single box of antibiotics.

Go ahead and call me a "whiner", because it just makes you look hilarious and quite frankly I could not care less. 

Edited by Death Dealer
  • Like 1

It all comes down to the way you started the thread... "Melee is now pointless" was a bold and very pointed opinion that almost seems geared to get a rise out of people.  With such a statement, one would've expected ample examples and relevant experiences that would prove your point.  Particularly various styles of melee utilization...

As has always been the case with DayZ, steep learning curves are an intrinsic part of the game.  The 1.7.7.x patch re-established the learning curve and forced everyone to re-evaluate their play style... From my observations, those players who were quickest to abandon their old play-style and adopt a new one have been the most successful at surviving.

Had you started the thread by saying "I've tried everything and can't manage to melee without getting infected every single time, this sucks, it feels broken." I can guarantee you would've gotten a much different response.

You seemed pretty confident that "melee is now pointless"... But 3 deaths isn't enough time to determine anything that concrete in this game

Actually I was grumpy about dying and it was just after work so I probably could have worded it better, but then I also felt like ranting in the first post too and that would have set an even lower standard.  I did what I had to.

Oh yeah sorry to everyone about "Beowulf" style epic on page 2.  Maybe wait and see what others have to say too before shooting the messenger?   I learned something too.

Edited by disorder
  • Like 2

From a realism standpoint it makes 0 sense and is drastically flawed. Although not entirely specified, infection is probably caused by something other than the "zombie virus". Because their flesh is now rotting, it hosts many nasty bacteria, viruses, and all that rot. The only real way you could catch the infection is if it touched an open area of your body, such as a cut on the skin. I think a percentage chance of actually getting infected would be fair. Sure, there's already a "percentage chance", but 9 times out of 10 you're going to get infected. Another flaw is that it onsets immediately, which also makes no sense. I think it would be fair enough for it to take, say, a couple minutes (10, 15, 20, whatever it may be) to set in.

I agree it should take longer to set in, and there should be other ways to fight infection besides just AB's (though they may take longer and be less effective, the tools required should be more common).

Personally, I love that my attention has been brought back to the zombies.  I feel like I've been completely ignoring them for months.

And I enjoy the difficulty, It's still pretty easy to lose a zombie by running around and through buildings and over fences... Though early on I spent what felt like over a month just experimenting with the tracking and figuring out the easiest and most effective ways to lose zombies, and losing zombies is probably the one thing I feel like I'm awfully damn good at...

I think spawning with ONE AB and being able to have a realistic %chance of fighting off the infection by staying warm and well fed and resting etc. would be all the balancing required

Since the first page I have been trying to defend myself against this kind of foolishness.  How do people know? They don't and they're just being rude.  They assume that my post is a troll post automatically get into protective mode and then  Oh no I love melee!  this man is a monster!  The internet would not exist without blunt opinions that other people hate.  Yin-Yang

You could have just read the questions and answered, there was no capitals or ranting in the OP.   If you think that there is no discussion in 3 questions, you obviously just skipped over them to argue with me about the delivery of my message and not its content 

Based off your OP, you made a very bold statement that "Melee is now pointless"

I don't need to know how YOU play.  How you play is irrelevant.  All I need to know is how "I" play to be able to say definitely that your assertion is false.

Now I've only had Dayz maybe 2 weeks.  So I don't know how it "used to be".  I was getting infected constantly on my first couple days.  Since learning how to play this game (things like the infected zeds are the ones with the high probablility of giving infection, the others not so much). I have been infection free.  My primary weapon remains a hatchet.  I've killed tons of zombies in the last couple days alone, looking for car parts in factory locations.  I've been hit maybe twice and no infection.

So to respond to your global assertion that "melee is pointless" is that you are flat out wrong.  Maybe it is pointless to you.  But you didn't make that clarification.

And no I'm not attacking your delivery, just your (lack of) content.

So far I'm freaking loving this game, infection rates and all.  And melee weapons are my first choice when scavenging for supplies.

• Like 1

To the op, I would give up on trying to defend yourself to people here. I've seen several awesome responses to your problem but most have been negative. I realize you are/were frustrated but it seems people are now just trying to push your buttons. I've lurked on these forums for awhile and most of the posts like yours always turn into pointless anger and hatred for anyone who has an opinion that is different. I hope that I don't sound too assholish but 4 pages in and people are still trying to bait you, that seems a bit childish. Beans to you for sharing your frustration and putting up with the trolling this thread contains

• Like 1

I just reread the first page of this thread... and I think OP and tobias should too...

No one was being a dick, the first half a dozen posts were congenially disagreeing with you, or were looking for some sort of clarification... but Disorder was coming back with some pretty blunt and aggressive comments that completely dismissed what others were trying to say...

After the way Disorders first 4 or 5 posts went I'm not surprised people started being dicks right back...

I'm confused why OP got so upset at the responses he got... Clearly from the tone of his posts, it was "If you tell me I'm wrong, you're wrong"... not very conducive to a conversation... 

EDIT: Wow, just realized Tobias was on of the posters on the first page... I guess it was the second and third that really got bad... Still, I think disorder wasn't really being open to other peoples opinions, and that right there will quickly lead to the degeneration of any thread.

ALWAYS REMEMBER that tone doesn't communicate well via text!  Read through OP's 1st page contents a couple of times, and depending how I read it, it can seem really dismissive of others posts and opinions... just food for thought. 

Edited by TheLastEmp
  • Like 1

I just reread the first page of this thread... and I think OP and tobias should too...

No one was being a dick, the first half a dozen posts were congenially disagreeing with you, or were looking for some sort of clarification... but Disorder was coming back with some pretty blunt and aggressive comments that completely dismissed what others were trying to say...

After the way Disorders first 4 or 5 posts went I'm not surprised people started being dicks right back...

I'm confused why OP got so upset at the responses he got... Clearly from the tone of his posts, it was "If you tell me I'm wrong, you're wrong"... not very conducive to a conversation... 

EDIT: Wow, just realized Tobias was on of the posters on the first page... I guess it was the second and third that really got bad... Still, I think disorder wasn't really being open to other peoples opinions, and that right there will quickly lead to the degeneration of any thread.

ALWAYS REMEMBER that tone doesn't communicate well via text!  Read through OP's 1st page contents a couple of times, and depending how I read it, it can seem really dismissive of others posts and opinions... just food for thought. 

I'm still relatively new here, but you get my first can of beans

+1

• Like 1

When so many people say "hey, we don't have a problem with melee and the hatchet is the ideal weapon", then there must be some ring of truth to what they say.

I'm on their bus.  I swear by the hatchet and often carry it with just a sidearm for trouble with asshats players.

Zeds walking through buildings isn't a broken feature, it is intentional, as is their climbing of ladders and stairs.

Killing zeds by hitting them in the head with a hatchet isn't a broken mechanic either, it is a head shot kill, the same as a gun.

Taking on the infected population of a town in daylight is pretty stupid.  Waiting for lower light levels is far better for stealth.  Using thrown cans, bottles, flares and smoke grenades to divert zeds is way smarter.

Limiting the number of opponents that can attack you by fighting through a doorway is a centuries old tried and tested tactic, far from unique to DayZ.

However ... I will agree that once infected, the whole deal is stupidly dependent on blind luck.

I have just run around for four days game time with an infection, surviving mainly by chasing down, cooking and eating half the livestock in Chernarus.  Tent rest did nothing, taking painkillers and morphine may or my not have been slowing it down, but I ran out of those before trial and error showed definite results.

After scavenging every loot spawn I encountered, literally hundreds of all types, I found no antibiotics whatsoever.  Not finding any had nothing at all to do with skill, play style, stealth, or anything else at all ... apart from BLIND LUCK ... or lack of it.

Eventually I died ... from a motorbike crash whilst chasing my next meal.  It was actually a relief from the tedium of constant eating, looting, getting no meds.  I had finally side chatted with a player who didn't have any himself, but his friend did, who was offline.  I was on my way to negotiate a trade when I crashed.

Otherwise I reckon I would have got bored and stepped on a grenade rather than face endless game time cooking animals and sniffing doorways against a timer.

On day one of my next spawn, I finally came across a heli crash with FOUR packs of antibiotics.  Again, BLIND LUCK.  I had been through several crash sites whilst infected and found only painkillers and morphine then.

Infection needs further review and possible change, to a finite, but very large, blood count damage, and/or viable alternative cures.

Melee combat, however, appears to be both fit for purpose and widely used.

• Like 3

Melee hasn't been nerfed by this though; if anything, it's just been made super OP. Now you're kind of ****ed if you get spotted by zombies in an area with few buildings unless you have a melee weapon. If you have a melee weapon, you have an unlimited source of food and drink from the zombies. 

OP's aim (nerf infection) is totally reasonable, but his reasoning is illogical. Some of his frustration just stems from the flawed zombie mechanics and the risks associated with every choice. If meleeing had NO repercussions, it would just be OP by definition right?

With regard to mechanics, zombies in standalone ought to be:

-slower

-easier to escape (LoS restrictions)

-easier to sneak by (nearly blind and deaf when not aggroed)

-able to be killed by strangling/beating them to death (tLoU style) 

In return, they should be able to run indoors and alert each other of human presence. Seems balanced to me.

EDIT: The funniest part to me is that the infection isn't  even some uber zed infection: it's just a NORMAL infection! LMAO! Yet it kills in like <4000 seconds (~1 hour) and cannot be cured no matter how much time you've survived it. Forget bed rest, hydration, high-protein diet, and warmth: you either get antibiotics (which are as rare as Mountain Dew) or stash your body in a convenient place and kill yourself.

Edited by Navneeth
  • Like 1

You guys are so fucking leet with your melee skills! I'm impressed. Melee combat in DayZ still is retarded as fuck.

Melee combat in DayZ still is retarded as fuck.

And there's no fixing that since it wasn't designed to support melee combat; the hatchet is just a short ranged gun.

• Like 1

What set me off was the learn2melee and QQing and the "you must be doing it wrong" comments.  Sorry all.  I felt backed into a corner at the end of the first page.

If people detect a troll post, they automatically troll the troll.. It's the internet I should have learned that by now.  However it wasn't, I was just miserable.  

There should be no problem with how I play in a game that works the way we'd expect it to. And by that I mean not having any bugs at all, no glitching zombies and melee attacks that work within the range of the actual 3d model and where the crosshair is pointing. 

Beans for everyone, even people I might have disagreed with.  You will see from most of my posts I do not cause problems.  Hope we can put the stupidity aside to talk about other things, this is just one topic after all.

Edited by disorder
  • Like 2

Actually no it's not. Melee is boss. You can hit zombies 5 feet away lol, and kill them in one hit 

This would be ok if zombies didn't glitch and didn't make sudden movements as fast as the flash.  The amount they warp and jerk around is a fucking joke.  Zombies should have been fixed before adding anything as stupid as infection.  Maybe it would be ok if they weren't so broken.  But I doubt we'll ever know.  

I tend to find antibiotics in fire stations mostly.

Ugh I hate the new infection system, its bloomin' awful.  Why do we still have melee in a game that now punishes it?

Is there an increased drop of antibiotics on zombies? 

I'm not sure I'm interested in this version tbh it really needs improving.  Is anyone else put off by this as much as me?

Ok, I had to make an account just to respond to this, because I just needed to let you know that if you're using melee and you get hit by a zombie even once, you are doing something terribly, terribly wrong.

Here is how to properly melee:

1. Make sure your weapon of choice is up and ready (if it is down just press Mouse1 to bring it up to be ready for attack)
  2. Hold down Shift, or whatever is your walk button, and slowly walk backwards while the zombie is approaching you. This is assuming the zombie is aggro'd.
  3. When the zombie gets close to you, but NOT right next to you (so about 1 to 2 meters away), immediately swing your weapon. This should be done right before the zombie comes to a full stop, as when they come to a full stop they will immediately attack you and hit you (like you said they attack you in a flash).
  4. After hitting the zombie, release shift and backpedal at full speed.
  5. If the zombie is dead, you are done. Repeat this process for any additional zombies. If the zombie is still alive, repeat this process anyways.

Congratulations! You now know how to melee like a true master without ever getting hit once. What the constant backpedaling does is it makes the zombie continually have to stop attacking and gain more ground, thus it's harder to attack you while you're moving. Also keep in mind that melee weapons have a much larger range than they would in real life so you need to use this to your advantage or things are not going to work out for you in the melee department. This comes from days of experience with melee weapons. They're basically the only weapons I ever have out. Guns are for chumps.

EDIT: After reading some other responses I'd like to point out that this method that I described works just as well out in the open as in a building. Obviously in a building you aren't going to full sprint backpedal from zombies because they are slower, but still. People say it's super risky to engage zombies out in the open and I do it all the time without getting hit once.

Edited by StrangeOrange
  • Like 2