thunderjaguar6

Stories of the survivors

Gather around everyone, gather around. I'm about to tell you the story of my encounter with the "Greek Gods". This happened to me a few months ago.

So I had just spawned in and had looted the Balota Airfield, getting an m1014 shotgun, Survival backpack, a g17 with one clip, a couple of smoke grenades, a frag grenade, and a few other things. As I'm exiting a hangar, I see two other players standing in the middle of the airfield. Now, these guys were obviously fresh spawns, they were both equipped with hatchets. So I walk out to them, and start talking. So these guys gladly accept my help, with me leading them back to the hangars. One of them gets equipped with an ak-74 and some ammo. The other gets an empty akm, but I told him to take it anyway so that he could maybe bluff somebody with it if we met some less-friendly people. So I then lead them to the warehouses on the outskirts of the airfield so that they could get a toolbox I had seen earlier in my exploration. SO I then lead them to the military base near Balota, eliminating the zombies there with our pistols. As I'm exploring the towers, I find an ak74 and a Beretta m9, so I switched out my g17 because the m9 had more ammo. Then one of the guys tells me that he had to disconnect to help his friend, who's client had crashed and messed up the files somehow. He thanked me so much for hooking him and his friend up with the gear. I told him that it was nothing, I try to help people whenever I can. After he disconnected, I looted the rest of the army base before heading off for... Rogovo I think? If it wasn't that town it was one of the small towns in that general area. I had passed through there in a GAZ earlier after an expedition to the NW Airfield (I was going to pick up another player and we were going to try to repair a helicopter he'd found. The big, Russian helicopter. We died before we could get it off the ground.). Anyway, while I was passing through the town, I saw that it was filled with vehicles; a bus almost completely full on gas, a sedan, and ATV to be specific.

Now comes the bad part.

As I entered the town, I went for the ATV, I planned on driving to the NW Airfield to see if I could find some more gear. The bus may have been fuller on gas, but it would have painted a giant bulls-eye on my forehead the sedan was damaged on a couple of tires and was out of gas. So, I get on the ATV, start it up, and flip it over after only going about twenty feet. Well, while trying to flip the ATV, a zombie who had heard the commotion ran up and attacked me. So I run, turn around, and shoot it dead with my m9, which in turn brings another zombie to my location. But I don't see this coming, so I try bandaging again. I succeed, only to be bludgeoned by said zombie from earlier. I run, shoot it and the other zombie that noticed me, and proceed to run for my life.

Enter the so called "Greek Gods".

I'm running from the growing horde of undead that is chasing me when I hear helicopter blades. I turn to see a Little Bird helicopter that was going to fly right over my head.

Now, before I go further, I must state that there were several things I could have done. I could have got in the bus and drove away, mow the horde down with my ak74, throw a smoke grenade to distract the zombies, there were a lot of things I could have done, including simply continuing to run away. But I didn't want to waste ammo, or become a target by driving the bus. The horde would have caught me by the time I threw the smoke grenade, and I would never be able to outrun them.

So what do I do? I yell into Side Chat:

"He-Hey! Guys in the heli! I could use some help please!"

And amazingly, they turn and come back, with two guys bailing out and parachuting in front of me. These guys were equipped with some high-tech sniper rifles, and used them to good effect. The helicopter then lands, kicking up dust while the group of now twenty zombies charged us, with me and the two guys blowing them away with our weapons. I swear to God I felt like I was in a movie. Eventually, with the undead defeated, I take the time to thank them for saving my hide.

"Oh. Oh my God! Thank- Thank you guys so much! Um, hey, do you guys think you can take me to the Northwest Airfield? I was trying to get there when all this crap happened."

"Drop you weapons." One of them responds.

Now your probably thinking right now, "Are you serious?! You went with these guys!? That should have been an instant red flag!"

To which I respond with: "Well, you didn't just survive a horde of infected straight out of '28 Days Later'.

My mind was still processing what the heck just happened, so I went along with it, thinking that they would pick up my weapons and give them back to me when we reached the airfield. And I'm not a noob, I've been playing Dayz long enough to know that if you meet someone, chances are you're going to get shot.

So anyway, I do what they say, dropping my m9 and ak74, I only find out later that they left them behind. So after flying around for like ten minutes, I put a waypoint on my map to see how far away we were from the NW Airfield. It turns out we were actually getting further from the airfield. I though nothing of it, thinking that I could hang with these guys for a while.

Oh, boy. Was I wrong.

After landing on the mountains waaaaaaaay out on the edges of the map, they land and get out for a server restart. They then leave explore the area and I'm told to stay in the helicopter or I'll be shot, with one of their guys keeping their rifle aimed on me at all times. Some time later I hear gunshots followed by a death message appearing on the chat. Maybe fifteen minutes later a Ural comes driving by, disappearing down the other side of the slope of the hill we were on. a little while later I here an explosion. Then the other guys come back and get in the heli, taking off and flying to the outskirts of Cherno. They land, a couple of guys getting out and going somewhere. They come back later with a guy in a hero skin. It turns out the guy was the guy who shot at them earlier. We then fly off into the middle of the woods. I realize now how I might be in trouble. They say that we (Me and the hero player.) might get the chance to be on Youtube. I start panicking and ask (Stupidly.) if I've been kidnapped.

"Guys, guys... Relax. You're just guests..."

I should have bailed out of that helicopter right then and there. They made me and the hero player fight to the death in a barbed wire "Arena" with crowbars. Guess who lost? Yep, me.

But it doesn't end there.

A guy picks me up in his off-road truck and we drive to Balota to try and find gear and hunt down the guys who had trolled half the server (Turns out they were the same guys that me and another guy got into a flame war with in Side Chat.). So I get a silenced m9 pistol, and a Coyote Backpack, the best one in the game. But then, as we're heading to the warehouses to get some stuff, I hear helicopter blades. I freak out and tell the guy to drive. He does, but while we're driving into the woods, out of nowhere, I get sniped dead in the car.

I then eventually decide that these guys aren't worth the trouble, and after I respawn near Solnichniy and get a Lee-Enfield, I decide to head to Berezino, stock up, find a vehicle, and live out in the wilderness. But then, as I'm crossing a field, heading to a farmhouse outside the factory area in between Solnichniy and Berezino, I hear something that makes my blood run cold. 

I hear helicopter blades.

And like a vulture circling it's prey, they come flying by. I mumble into Side chat:

"Oh no. You've got to be- come on."

So as they land, I lower my weapon and casually walk towards them, as they get out of the heli and aim their guns at me. I see they've upgraded since I last saw them, one of them is wearing a ghillie suit. I decide to be a bit of a smart-aleck and say:

"Well. Fancy meeting you here."

I think they told me not  to get any closer, I can't remember. but then I say:

"I suppose this is the part where you tell me to drop my weapons and come with you?"

"No... We have something different in mind."

And that's when they shoot me, load my uncouncious body onto the Little bird, fly out to the ocean, and dump me in it.

Amazingly, I survived. but then I had to restart because the screen effects from the blood loss were getting on my nerves.

I respawn go into a town, find a bike, get three tents due to a duplication glitch (What they don't know wont hurt them.) and take off into the woods. Now a bike isn't the best when it comes to offroad travel, but it gets the job done. After a little while, I stop and disconnect. The next day, when I reconnect, you're never going to believe what I hear.

I hear helicopter blades.

I turn, and right between an open space in the trees, I see a Little Bird helicopter. And it's just hovering there, I get on my bike and start taking off into the woods, the helicopter following me. After a few minutes of wildly driving through the forest, hitting a couple of trees in the process, I stop and type in chat:

Jman14102: "Who's in the heli?"

I get this as a response:

Zeus: "Hi. :)"

The moment I see that I get shot repeatedly with a sniper rifle.

I raged so badly.

So that was the end of my encounters with the "Greek Gods."

Or so I thought.

A couple days ago, I was eating lunch at school with a couple of my friends, when one of them mentions how he was playing Dayz one day, "When out of nowhere, like eight guys in ghillie suits appear with sniper rifles. They shoot me while I'm typing in chat. Then they brag how they're gods and are unstoppable."

I nearly choked on my food, I asked him if their names were those of Greek Gods and he said yes.

If you encounter a "Zeus", "Poseidon", "Hades", or anyone else with the name of a Greek God, don't trust them. They are lying, trolling, hackers whose only goal is to ruin your day. Be careful.

• Like 2

Thanks. He was definitely American, though. His English was impeccable.

Well, most times this is no indicator for american people :D

Me and a friend had just finished looting stary sobor on a server with about 20 people. We hadn't run in to anyone so we were confident the area was safe. As we were walking out of stary, we saw a green plane, just sitting in a field. We went in for a closer look, but as soon as we got within 100 meters of the plane, someone started shooting us. We turned around and legged it. After running for about 10 minutes we stopped,, thinking we had lost the shooter. then we heard a low rumbling noise and a fighter jet (it must have been hacked in) flew overhead. I heard a gunshot, and told my friend not to shoot at the plane. "I didn't" he said. crap. We ran as fast as we could, heading for the woods. then the fighter jet came back and started bombing us. the bombs were exploding just behind us. We ran across a ploughed field and made it to the woods. there was no sign of the mystery shooter and the plane had gone. that is why dayz is my favourite game

• Like 1

Me and my friend have been playing in an Epoch server with AI missions late in the night (4 AM-ish). We were really well loaded and decided to go for that mission just to not fall asleep on the keyboards. We went there, took our sniper positions and were planning how to take out the AI quickly and effectively, and that's when we hear an MTVR closing in. The MTVR went to the AIs, which got him like sixty bullets in the hull, then he just decided to stop in the middle of a nearby town to fix up his wheel, he got attacked by zombies and shot them out with a lapua. Then he drove up the hill we were at and he literally stopped ten metres away from my spot, fortunately enough I was a ghillie behind a tree. My friend was on top of the hill around 100m away, so as soon as the bambi shot two or so AIs, my friend shot him in the head. I quickly went to check his gear and only took his lapua with two mags and the keys for his MTVR. The MTVR was full of guns too, so I hid it 500m away and came back to finish off the mission. We took all of the AI out within like ten seconds of the first shot and then slowly went downhill towards their corpses and the crashed chopper that they were guarding, 50m away the mission was dismissed as 'failed' because we were too late and everything despawned.

So I decided to leave the MTVR and take it later, we drove away with our camo suv and that's when the guy we shot started whining like he's nine years old. After half an hour of making him think I'm his 'ally' I owed up for the shot and the stolen truck, he was begging me to give him back the key so I told him to meet up where we had shot him. I told my friend to watch out for me on the hill because I was suspecting that he'll try to get revenge. I put his key in his backpack and got out as quickly as possible, for around two minutes he was whining about me not giving him the key, clearly he was just trying to keep me there for a longer time. He stopped whining, played for around ten minutes and logged off. This is the most bandit I've ever been in my life. 

I woke up in a leaky shack in Zelenogorsk, unsure of my surroundings and unaware of what might have transpired during my comma-like slumber. Remembering that our rally point was Berezino, the last place the radio had said ships were evacuating from, I decided to gather what I could from the local market, ransacked though it may be. Little did I know just how perilous my trek to Berezino would be... indeed it was nearly catastrophic.

I began my journey as cautious as could be; sticking to the brush and scrub, slinking through the forest and the rain to conceal my movements, skirting the southern edge of the Pulkovo clearing. No news is good news in these parts.

After a pit-stop at Vyshnoye to acquire much needed water I figured I could spare the time to find a stray bit of food to hold me over until I reached the market in Polana... With the sound of thunder I suddenly found myself on the receiving end of an oft-forgotten quantity of 5.56. Striking me like a broadside from the HMS Dreadnought. Bleary-eyed and delirious I tumbled into the woods in the hopes that I could lose my attackers in the brush or dispatch them from concealment.

What transpired next will forever change my outlook on the word "luck".

After sprinting for ~10 seconds I dove under a coniferous tree next to a bush, hoping that I would blend in with the surrounding scrub... A voice called out to me, "Hey! If you come out, we'll heal you. All we want is some tuna or something. We saw you..." At this point I decided that "we" is a plural word and I had no chance in a fire fight. I went full-ostrich and put my head to the ground, in the hopes that they had not seen my hasty retreat and instead push past me to see if I had ducked further in to the darkened forest.

Suddenly a snap above my head followed by the report of gunfire. Shit... But to my ears the round had landed in front of me? How could that be? My pursuers were before me... so... that round came from in behind me!? I turned my attention deeper into the woods I assumed would be my grave. From over the crest of the slope in front of me three survivors clad in moto-helmets and hoodies paced forward with malicious intent... BAM! Another one of the survivors of the Dayzocalypse shot a round above my head impacting a tree not 5 feet from my attackers.

Time slowed, and the essence of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral fell on that ground like the heaviest of fogs.

Rounds traversed the space above me like a cloud of wasps zipping by, stingers at the ready. One of the survivors took shots to the thigh and went down, unsure if he was prone or in shock, I stayed my place in the hopes that my presence would slip from the memories of either party. It seemed to take forever... but in truth it was done in just over a minute. The Attackers beaten, either fleeing, dead, or somewhere in between, leaving 4 bodies to the vultures. The Survivors strode forth, healing their fallen comrade, taking the pickings of their enemies loot while I looked on wondering when they would turn to me...

That moment never came... After they scraped together what they could they turned south to Mogilevka taking pot-shots at the last two belligerents from their vicious duel...

I carried on to Polana, picking up the poorest of supplies, before heading to Gorka to scrounge for a med-kit. As night fell and the rain insisted on changing my pace of travel I saw the sights of Berezino, ripe for the picking, a place to settle down for a while and begin the search for my friends...

The screams. The smell of gunpowder. 

• Like 1