Sign in to follow this  
Infaro

An idea to curb pointless deathmatching

Right now there is no disincentive to being a bandit. You get what you want from other players and cannot be distinguished from otherwise wholesome players. What if the humanity system was revised to be something more along the lines of a "karma" system? The idea would be to reward players who don't just shoot other survivors with better item spawns around them. I'm not talking an M107 in a supermarket or something, but maybe a better chance at finding that compass you so desperately need, or that extra CZ550 mag that would make your life easier. Bandits, on the other hand, would receive less of these reward items, catering to their style of obtaining rare items by hunting other players. This way, survivors could choose to be rewarded by doing good, or try their luck on shooting freshly spawned noobs on the coast for their gear. Either way, it would allow both playstyles while hopefully curbing pointless deathmatching.

Now, you may be asking how this could be done. My idea is this: instead of spawning loot simultaneously all over the server, spawn it when a player gets within view distance of it. If there is a group of players together, calculate their total karma to spawn loot. If some guy in your group of survivors has a low karma level, the group will receive markedly less loot, thus presenting the bandit with a reason to cooperate. This would work in tandem with the auto-regenerating humanity / the humanity gained by various assistance methods, so that bandits are not stuck in a hole due to their prior decisions. This would obviously have to be weighted properly and there would need to be some universal items unaffected by this system, but it could offer a reason for survivors to, you know, survive together.

Just my 2 beans though, offer any thoughts/flaming/whatever you want.

Now' date=' you may be asking how this could be done. My idea is this: instead of spawning loot simultaneously all over the server, spawn it when a player gets within view distance of it.[/quote']

This is already the case.

I figured something like that was happening to spawn loot, but I wasn't entirely sure. It just makes things more convenient for rocket to add, then, should he consider this strategy.

IMO it would be nice if the bandit system was implemented again, but bandits were be able to find civilian clothing so they can wear it as a disguise.

Good guys should obviously still start with survivor clothing.

IMO it would be nice if the bandit system was implemented again' date=' but bandits were be able to find civilian clothing so they can wear it as a disguise.

[/quote']

How about everyone spawns as a bandit because that is the mentality 90% of the time. If you don't kill someone in an hour its back to survivor!

So if you have a team of 4 (2 bandits/2 survivors) the bandits stay in the treeline the survivors head into town "great loot spawns" its a win win for there group...?????? Cants see this stopping D/M. :huh:

I like the idea of a "karma" system. Some players might object to it being tied to such a key game play mechanic as loot quality/quantity, however. What about connecting high karma to more aesthetic or convenience-based concepts. Perhaps high-karma players have the opportunity to spawn with a new skin or at a location of their choice, while low-karma players do not?

I think they're trying to make it as balanced as they can without unnaturally tipping the favor to one side. This is pretty clear when looking at the scenario with the Bandit skin.

In my opinion, and I've said this several times now throughout this forum (but it's never been addressed so damn me for trying), the best incentive we have as living, breathing beings.. is death. If we could find some way to simulate death, or the annoyance of death snyway (aside from just losing loot), I think it'd deter players from all sides to just shoot on sight.. at least, if it were done correctly.

My initial idea was, if you die, you can't play on the server your death occurred on for a certain amount of time (IE 24 hours), then on top of that, you can't play in any other server for.. I dunno, 20 minutes or something. I feel like that would really deter people from just banditing! Perhaps it'd just need to be tried out first, but really, death binds us all together, and without death, we'd be free to do almost anything and everything. Take that freedom away and you have some grasp of control.

Well if you had used the search function you would know that similar suggestions have already been made many times over.

Apart from your idea being a very likely horrible performance hog on the master server as well as the host servers, it does not make much sense because bandits would be more likely than ever to shoot friendly survivors knowing they will get better loot spawns and you wouldn't have solved anything in fact you would have made it worse.

I also remember Rocket saying something along the lines of not punishing players for certain play styles. I could be wrong though.

IMO it would be nice if the bandit system was implemented again' date=' but bandits were be able to find civilian clothing so they can wear it as a disguise.

[/quote']

It's not a bad system to re-implement either. I like the heartbeat idea that's currently in place though.

Regarding the idea of survivors having different skins or a choice to spawn in a specific location, it may work too. The problem with this entire thing is that the bandit style of play will inevitably have to be "punished" in some manner. Otherwise it's cawadoody with ambient zombies because there are no real repercussions to killing other players. In EVE you were more or less forced to a section of space if you chose to be an outlaw. You could rectify that, but it took a while and gave a reason not to just shoot everyone you ran into.

My initial idea was' date=' if you die, you can't play on the server your death occurred on for a certain amount of time (IE 24 hours), then on top of that, you can't play in any other server for.. I dunno, 20 minutes or something. I feel like that would really deter people from just banditing! Perhaps it'd just need to be tried out first, but really, death binds us all together, and without death, we'd be free to do almost anything and everything. Take that freedom away and you have some grasp of control.

[/quote']

Are you just trolling? Because I can't believe that is a serious suggestion by any means...

I think they're trying to make it as balanced as they can without unnaturally tipping the favor to one side. This is pretty clear when looking at the scenario with the Bandit skin.

In my opinion' date=' and I've said this several times now throughout this forum (but it's never been addressed so damn me for trying), the best incentive we have as living, breathing beings.. is death. If we could find some way to simulate death, or the annoyance of death snyway (aside from just losing loot), I think it'd deter players from all sides to just shoot on sight.. at least, if it were done correctly.

My initial idea was, if you die, you can't play on the server your death occurred on for a certain amount of time (IE 24 hours), then on top of that, you can't play in any other server for.. I dunno, 20 minutes or something. I feel like that would really deter people from just banditing! Perhaps it'd just need to be tried out first, but really, death binds us all together, and without death, we'd be free to do almost anything and everything. Take that freedom away and you have some grasp of control.

[/quote']

My initial idea was' date=' if you die, you can't play on the server your death occurred on for a certain amount of time (IE 24 hours), then on top of that, you can't play in any other server for.. I dunno, 20 minutes or something. I feel like that would really deter people from just banditing! Perhaps it'd just need to be tried out first, but really, death binds us all together, and without death, we'd be free to do almost anything and everything. Take that freedom away and you have some grasp of control.

[/quote']

Are you just trolling? Because I can't believe that is a serious suggestion by any means...

However your idea makes killing other players an even better griefing mechinic than it already is.

Personally I don't kill to grief. I don't like causing "harm" to other people. I will occasionally kill if I know they have something I want, but I always consider that the other guy will have to go back to square one. I'm generally a nice guy but I often shoot on sight if I can't sneak around.

Why? Because they are a threat. It only takes 0.2 seconds of them looking at me for me to put back on the beach. That is a huge risk for me and so the safest course of action, by far, is to simply shoot them, before they have a chance to shoot me. I would love if not every time I saw another human, someone have to die. But I know that if I don't shoot he very likely will, because I might. It's a vicious circle

Personally I don't kill to grief. I don't like causing "harm" to other people. I will occasionally kill if I know they have something I want' date=' but I always consider that the other guy will have to go back to square one. I'm generally a nice guy but I often shoot on sight if I can't sneak around.

Why? Because they are a threat. It only takes 0.2 seconds of them looking at me for me to put back on the beach. That is a huge risk for me and so the safest course of action, by far, is to simply shoot them, before they have a chance to shoot me. I would love if not every time I saw another human, someone have to die. But I know that if I don't shoot he very likely will, because I might. It's a vicious circle

[/quote']

I would love to see a way to knock players out, this would provide a way to "stun" other players you think are a threat without actually having to kill them.

I've been shot at a lot in my most recent life (still haven't died), I had a guy shoot at me with a winchester at about 325m, I didn't shoot back, I just went on my way, use my binoculars to see where he was, killed a cow, gutted it, saluted the guy(just for shits and giggles), went about 3 mins into a forest just to be out of the way and disconnected so he couldn't find me. obviously there was no pvp just one side wanting to kill and one side wanting to go about their busisness, and at that range, he couldn't even hit near me. Currently being friendly or notifing your friendly is a lot harder and risker than just shooting which is BS. I would love to have an option to show I'm friendly that can't be abused by bandits but saddly bandits would bitch and moan that they no longer can infiltrate survivor groups and go on killing sprees.

However your idea makes killing other players an even better griefing mechinic than it already is.

Was this in reply to me or weedmasta?

If it was to me, I realize it's not perfect, but it's something that could be tried and tested.