infekt3d

For those of you with FPS issues...

Please read the article I link below.

I ran some (very basic) tests last night and overclocked my now outdated AMD Phenom II 810 (2.6Ghz).

Essentially for every ~200Mhz bump I saw 3-5 FPS boost. I ran this test on Chernarus (not in DayZ) to ensure the FPS I was seeing was only impacted by my computer. I have tried everything setting under the Sun including overclocking my video card, nothing made the impact that overclocking my CPU did.

Also, a couple things to keep in mind:

- Some server owners (since 1.7.1.4) have been complaining of desync and bandwidth increases. (This is going to affect your gameplay experience)

- Zombies are a lot more aware of their surroundings now. That's more scripts running through your CPU.

- Your low frames have very little to do with your GPU. My friend on an old 9800GT+ is not having any issues unless there are 80 zombies on the screen. He does however have an i7. If you have an older GPU, it goes without saying you can't be rocking full FSAA/AS / 1080p.

- Rocket is optimizing the game with each patch, and introducing things with each patch. Not every machine is going to be able to handle this game the same. I've been dealing with low <20 FPS on most servers since 1.5.8.1.

Below is the link to the article:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

Find your CPU and see where you stack up. I realize this is an outdated article, but the principles still apply.

Apparently disabling Hyperthreading can improve performance? Anyone know HOW MUCH performance can be gained by disabling Hyperthreading?

Apparently disabling Hyperthreading can improve performance? Anyone know HOW MUCH performance can be gained by disabling Hyperthreading?

Not 100% sure it still depends on your system setup on how much each tweak will improve performance, but from what I understand about Hyperthreading is that unless you use programs like photoshop or sony vegas you don't need it and it will lower the temp of your CPU.

In the arma beta.CMD There is this line :

call "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Expansion\beta\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca" "-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" -window -nosplash -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=7 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

I am asking about this as I haven't got a clue but wondered if it would have any effect on performance if changed. I for example have a quad core but it says cpu count = 2.

I only put this out there so someone who actually knows whats what can explain to me if it's relevant and if it's worth experimenting with.

call "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Expansion\beta\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca" "-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" -window -nosplash -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=7 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

I am asking about this as I haven't got a clue but wondered if it would have any effect on performance if changed. I for example have a quad core but it says cpu count = 2.

I only put this out there so someone who actually knows whats what can explain to me if it's relevant and if it's worth experimenting with.

Really it is just like with anything else when tweaking a games .ini or system settings to get that perfect FPS number you want. Everyones rig is going to have different results. I personally run a quad core and have -cpucount=4 set on mine. I don't run the -exthreads command, but with my i7 920 OC @ 3.8GHZ and a OC'd GTX 580 when I run everything at max (Except Post Processing) I get 40fps in the woods, 60fps when looking at water, about 25-30 fps in town. So it varies where you are at and on your rig. Experiment however you want just know that your results will likely be different from anyone elses.

Not 100% sure it still depends on your system setup on how much each tweak will improve performance' date=' but from what I understand about Hyperthreading is that unless you use programs like photoshop or sony vegas you don't need it and it will lower the temp of your CPU.

[/quote']

I just found a massive thread about Hyperthreading (and other things) and how they relate to performance in ARMA 2.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636420&page=2

Yeah, it's from 2010, but the advice is still valid. Apparently disabling Hyperthreading will increase performance in ARMA 2, lower power usage, and lower temps. This is the first thing I'm doing when I get home...not sure why I've had hyperthreading running for the past couple years.

Nvidia users, id suggest turning AA off and forcing FXAA in your graphics control panel.

Yeah its not as nice as with AA but 50-60 fps near everywhere is worth it for me.

My ingame settings

Arma2Grphxsettings.png

The Terrain and Objects detail only seems to effect grass as far as i can see, and it still looks great (pretty huge performance increase)

gl

What CPU do you have Cpt. Obvious? I can barely crack 60 FPS when out in a field with nothing around me in the REGULAR game. I have an Nvidia 670.

Also another thing I forgot to mention, ensure that you put the 'Video Memory' setting to 'Default'. Anything other than that will restrict it to 512MB or less.

What CPU do you have Cpt. Obvious? I can barely crack 60 FPS when out in a field with nothing around me in the REGULAR game. I have an Nvidia 670.

i5 760 @3.4ghz

Have you tried the terrain and objects detail on low with AA disabled?

I've tried every combination of every setting in there, and the settings in my Nvidia control panel. It HAS to be my CPU. Your i5 crushes my Phenom II in every sense of the word. Hell my CPU is probably a bottleneck for my 670.

-snip-

I will try that' date=' but lol fuck no to post processing. Feels like I am playing with beer goggles.

[/quote']

Yes the Post Processing is definitely player preference.

I've tried every combination of every setting in there' date=' and the settings in my Nvidia control panel. It HAS to be my CPU. Your i5 crushes my Phenom II in every sense of the word. Hell my CPU is probably a bottleneck for my 670.

[/quote']

Yes i doubt your getting 70% of what that 670 can do, and ArmaII seems to be very Cpu dependant (as with any complex game) not sure there is much you can do about that besides an upgrade or OC.

Is it necessary for shadow detail to be so high? Shadows always seem like a luxury effect. I would keep them on the lowest you can so you can still see a shadow but resource power is spent elsewhere; on other areas that would require a higher detail.

Is it necessary for shadow detail to be so high? Shadows always seem like a luxury effect. I would keep them on the lowest you can so you can still see a shadow but resource power is spent elsewhere; on other areas that would require a higher detail.

Setting shadows to High or Very High keeps them processed by your GPU. Setting them to normal or below puts their burden on your CPU. I know when I switched mine from Normal to High, I saw a performance increase.

I noticed this as well, I try to keep as many of the settings that don't make a drastic (5+ FPS) change in framerate on high or very high.

If you have a relatively modern GPU, it seems setting Shadows to very high insures they are rendered by the graphics card.

I get better performance with Shadows at VeryHigh then i do at High.

Alot of ArmaII graphics/performance posts suggest this very thing, thats the only reason i even tried it, as like you i always assumed it would be the reverse. Reminds me of FSX (Flight Sim) in alot of ways, some settings being turned down actually hurt performance on modern machines.

is this in the file "_runA2CO_beta.cmd". Just so i know im in the right file.

and what does the FXAA setting on the videocard do?

Hey thanks for the helpful tips, i'm liquid cooling my i5 and got a GTX 680 so i'm going to shoot for a clock speed of 4.8ghz on my cpu (running 4.4 with no problems) wish me luck!

added this to my startup parameters and saw FPS go from 20 to 40-50 in towns.

-maxmem=2047 -maxVRAM=1958 -winxp -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

core i7 950 @4.0

Crossfire HD 5870

6GB DD3 @1600

SSD 170/180

startup parameters info: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16960&page=2

damn... still 15-20 fps around zombies